PDA

View Full Version : what fert to use now?

dlandscaping
05-27-2002, 12:35 PM
In the northeast (mass) what fertilizer should i be putting down now? I just got three calls for fert but dont now what to put down. I get all my stuff at lesco. Right now i have 28-5-12 is that ok to put down. I need something to put on thin lawns to help them become stronger. Thanks guys.

KirbysLawn
05-27-2002, 12:48 PM
Why not go talk to the guys at Lesco? They can better advise you on what to do in your area than we can.

TJLC
05-27-2002, 11:25 PM
I don't know about your area, but the guys at my Lesco told me to use a 12-2-14 for my June app. I use what they tell me and also use there s.s. spreader. Nice setup, no guesswork.

lawnstudent
06-03-2002, 11:47 PM
dlandscaping,

have you performed a soil test? Do you know the pH, soil P & K readings? How do you set up a fert program without these values? How do you know if you are trying to maintain P & K at their optimum values or if you need to adjust for a suboptimum reading? Amount of N? What is the grass type? Is the lawn in full sun or shade? What are the soil types? Do you have known disease problems? Drainage problems? High water table? Evironmental concerns (near a waterway, sensitive wetland)? What is the objective of the home owner? What is their budget? Are they irregating through the summer? How can anyone offer you help when you provide no information? I don't mean to be harsh, but you simply ask for our fert recommendations and provide no information on the site. This is why your question is ignored. Please provide site information if you are serious about asking for help on a fert program. Good luck.

jim

mowing king
06-04-2002, 07:45 PM
28-5-12 is fine to put down now. or try a combo product with merit for feeding and grub control. Lawn student is correct there are others variables to consider,but in general 28-5-12 is fine.

I would not fert shady lawns to heavy right now. I would do a ph test also.

dlandscaping
06-04-2002, 08:57 PM
I put the 28-5-12 on my lawns. Most are non irrigated but it has been raining here daily. I swear some lawns grew 6+ inches in 4-6 days, i was amazed. The lawns do look real nice right now. Lawnstudent- I know there are many variables and conditions, I just wanted to know if 28-5-12 was ok for now since I had a client call for fert on saturday and i can only go to lesco sat mornings to check with them. I thank you all for the help.

KirbysLawn
06-04-2002, 11:23 PM
Is that what Lesco advised? The N is a little high for me for this time of year, too much growth, increases your chances for fungus, and problems. I'm putting out 5-10-31 on fescue lawns here right now.

lawnstudent
06-04-2002, 11:49 PM
Is it that the N is too high or that the K is too low? Did you apply at a rate of 1 lb. N/M?

jim

dlandscaping
06-06-2002, 02:48 PM
that is what the guys at lesco told me and i had it on the lowest setting 12 or 14 on my lesco commercial spreader.

tremor
06-06-2002, 07:52 PM
Ray Kirby's Tall Fescue lawns or anyone elses for that matter would do well at <1lb/N/M right now or Brown Patch could result.
Mass lawns are getting hungry right now & you won't find many Tyrf Type Tall Fescue lawns either. 28-5-12 is OK but I'd keep the N at .75lbs/N. I booked a trailer of 24-8-15 today that Jim (lawnstudent) might like better. Classic 3-1-2 ratio.
I also sell a lot of 19-2-19 & 21-3-21 in various %'s of slow release & prill sizes for the individual needs of different turf grasses & soils.

I think you'll be just fine as the 28-5-12 makes a good general purpose fert.

Steve

lawnstudent
06-06-2002, 08:43 PM
It has been raining cats & dogs and cool. Today was the first sunny day in the last five. 5.5 inches of rain over three days. June 6 th. and I have powdery mildew in the shade! Lawns in this area are leached. People do need to consider a fert app. Your right tremor, I do like a 24-8-15 as a good maintanence fert.

jim