PDA

View Full Version : Swamp Loggers New Season

Bleed Green
01-14-2010, 10:17 PM
The new season begins tomorrow night at 10 eastern time, 9 central time. I think that I like this show better than Ax Men because it seems that they focus on the machines a little more in the swamp logging show.

ClearViewGroup
01-14-2010, 11:05 PM
plus who doesnt like bobby goodson! i love swamp loggers

RedRebel
01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
I enjoyed the shower...looking forward to it again...sucks its on friday night though!

Bleed Green
01-18-2010, 06:38 PM
at least it comes on early at like 9 pm though, and 10 in the east.

Bleed Green
01-23-2010, 12:09 AM
So I have been wondering about the stumps left over watching Swamp Loggers and Ax Men. What do they do with the stumps? They never show them taking the stumps out of the ground and you would think they would have to do that before replanting the ground.

Dirtman2007
01-23-2010, 02:07 PM
So I have been wondering about the stumps left over watching Swamp Loggers and Ax Men. What do they do with the stumps? They never show them taking the stumps out of the ground and you would think they would have to do that before replanting the ground.

Around here they leave all the stumps and just replant around them. The cost for removing all those stumps would be high!

Bleed Green
01-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Around here they leave all the stumps and just replant around them. The cost for removing all those stumps would be high!

I would think that the stumps would get in the way when they tried to come back and re-log the area. Maybe not I guess by the time they come back to re-log the area the stumps would be rotted down.

Junior M
01-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I would think that the stumps would get in the way when they tried to come back and re-log the area. Maybe not I guess by the time they come back to re-log the area the stumps would be rotted down.
considering its at the least 10years before a tract is logged again, yeah the stumps will be rotten..

Dirtman2007
01-23-2010, 03:12 PM

yeah in 15- 20 year most of those stumps will be long gone. By the time its re-logged there would not be a problem

curtisfarmer
01-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Around here, stumps stay put as well. Our forestry cycles are more like 30-40 years and stumps are no problem. Any large tract of land in NH that is going to be stumped requires an erosion control plan in most cases. With excvation laws (material production pits/quarries and sites where excvation will be occurring such as mall development) defining "open" excvation as when the stumps are removed. You can do alot under the guise of forestry, but when you start stumping your into alteration of terrain permits, ersosion control plans, and site specifc hydrology.

BTW, stumping and grinding with removal of chips is around 9$ tonblown into trailers or $6K+/- acre. We have Best Management Practices which allow for onsite stump disposal for subdivions and development areas.

an interesting note, NH is now preffering stumps as opposed to riprap for stream and river ersion control so it has created a (limited) market for stumps.

Scag48
01-23-2010, 05:10 PM
The cost of pulling those stumps out would be insane. On top of that, it would impossible to get any iron into most areas that have been logged with a skyline, just too steep. Plus if you pulled the stumps out on a clear cut gig, the slope would erode like crazy, not a good deal. Stumps will rot away in 15-20 years, they wouldn't be a problem re-logging a tract.