PDA

View Full Version : Need soil in the cold north

godzilla
01-14-2010, 11:33 PM
I need to get my hands on about 4 wheelbarrows worth of topsoil, but unfortunately any piles that I know of are frozen, and I'm certain that bagged soil from Home Depot will be frozen as well.

Any tips on where I should look for the material, or to unfreeze soil?

Jon93091
01-15-2010, 05:42 AM
If you have a pile that gets a decent amount of sun but still wont thaw, try throwing a sheet of black or clear poly over it, and make sure the edges are weighed down evenly all the way around with sand or boards possibly. The idea is for the edges of the plastic to be fairly airtight. The plastic then either absorbs or magnifies the suns rays and traps the heat underneath, thawing the ground.. Obviously this wont work if its super cold, but if you get a semi warm day and enough sun it should..

Isobel
01-15-2010, 10:47 AM
if you have a local garden center ask them if they have any bags of soil that they can stick inside a greenhouse for a few days.

I use to work at one up here and every winter we'd get a few requests like that.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
godzilla - what do you need dirt for now?
If outdoor work, just wait until spring.
If indoor work, would potting soil do instead?

godzilla
01-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I put a few holes in a client's yard that need to be filled in. Do you think that I could use the truck's exhaust to thaw out bags?

Isobel
01-16-2010, 12:50 AM
I put a few holes in a client's yard that need to be filled in. Do you think that I could use the truck's exhaust to thaw out bags?

:hammerhead: you're kidding right? no take the bags into your house and put them next to a heater or furnace.

STIHL GUY
01-16-2010, 11:13 PM
just start digging. once you get past the top frozen part it wont be too bad to dig