PDA

View Full Version : Mycorrhizae products: How do they work for you?

fshrdan
05-27-2002, 01:40 PM
Hey, guys. I've been receiving quite a bit of marketing material from Bioplex and Plant Health Care lately, and I'm pretty intrigued with the products. I'm familiar with university studies on the benefits of mycorrhizae and other soil innoculants, but I've never spoken to any landscapers who actually use them in their install and transplant jobs. So... does anyone use them? How are the results?

I'm also interested in using the products in annual beds this coming fall. I already use Terrasorb in non-irrigated annual beds. Does anyone have any experience with PHC's annual color products? Does anyone have a brand preference? i.e. Bioplex vs Plant Health Care

Thanks, Daniel

LawnLad
05-27-2002, 05:35 PM
We use mycorrizae from Plant Health Care. After hearing a presentation by them at a seminar several years back I was sold. We use mycorrizae on all new plant installations as well as transplants. I do not have specific percentages as to the reduced number of warranty replacements or calls that we've had, but it has been beneficial.

We also use the VAM for annual flowers. You need only mix this into your annual bed area once, after that, the mycorrizae is in the soil. We mix it into pots as well.

We will also use Soil Moist (like Terra Sorb) in dry beds and our annual pots. In annual pots, the root system will fill the pot to the extent the soil is junk at the end of the season. The root system just takes off. I did a control test at my house a couple of years back - one plant box with VAM and one with out. It wasn't truly scientific, but the the results were noticable on the pansies I planted.

The product is not cheap - and we therefore build it into our installation costs figuring about a $1.00 per ounce in the bid. We go through several boxes a year.

The only other note is that you need to know what plants the mycorrizae will work on and those it will not. The Ericaceae family (rhododendron, azalea, kalmia), or broad leaved evergreens, will not respond to the existing mycorrizae products. Maybe some day we'll be so lucky.

fshrdan
05-28-2002, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Lawnlad. I'm going to give the TreeSaver a shot right away, and maybe try out the FlowerSaver on my personal annual beds. I appreciate the input.
Daniel