PDA

View Full Version : scag tiger cat 61" 26kai lc or 27kohler air?

badgerfan
01-15-2010, 03:55 AM
I am going to be purchasing a new scag Tiger Cat 61" in the next few months to use in the coming 2010 season and I want to know which engine would be the best choice. The options are a 26hp kawasaki liquid cooled or a 27hp kohler command air cooled. The prices for the mowers are almost the same so this is not an issue. Everbody always says that Kawasaki is better than kohler and I know that liquid cooled is supposed to last longer. My concerns are that I would like to have as much power as possible and the kohler has one more pony and I'm not sure if I can trust my guys to consistantly clean out the filter on the liquid cooled engine. If anybody has thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated.

A Leaf Above
01-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Well i cant speak for Kohler since i have never had one ..But i can tell you that the 26hp LC Kawi i have on my 52in Wildcat is a very nice motor ..I have had no issues so far .

razor1
01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
I've had both and both are good. The LC may need a little more maintenance but could last longer. My Kohler 27's use all synthetic oil to keep them cool and prolong eng. life. What's the price difference?

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
01-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Had a bubby of mine get a 61 with the 27 air cooled went through 3 of them in in 3 months. but bahia is some tough grass to cut down here. It's just to much mower for an air cooled.

ALC-GregH
01-18-2010, 09:23 PM
You mean Wildcat right?

badgerfan
01-19-2010, 01:33 AM
You mean Wildcat right?

Yeah my bad, I meant to say Wildcat.

ricky86
01-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Almost the same price? That's hard to believe.

rcslawncare
01-19-2010, 02:55 AM
Almost the same price? That's hard to believe.

Same here, but if so, go with the Kawasaki. Will maintain a better consistent temperature overall when mowing. If you can't trust your guys to check a filter, how can you trust them at clients homes and businesses?

badgerfan
01-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Same here, but if so, go with the Kawasaki. Will maintain a better consistent temperature overall when mowing. If you can't trust your guys to check a filter, how can you trust them at clients homes and businesses?

Well as far as trusting my employees I guess I do, but we all know how hard it is for each of us to trust our employees with all of the expensive toys! They have made me lots of money so I have to force myself to trust that they will be cautious while I generate more contracts and business.

rcslawncare
01-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I know, I hear you, just giving you grief! Whatever you get, its always nice to have new stuff!!!

badgerfan
01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, no problem man. I just can't wait to get the season going here in a few months so that we can get working again. I'm getting sick of doing all of the inside sales and advertising stuff and could use a good day or two on the mower. Plus god knows that I could shed about 10 lbs that I accumulated over the winter.Lol

OrangeToys
04-24-2010, 12:25 AM
so what motor was chosen? im in the same boat now! and I need to make a decision.