PDA

View Full Version : soon to be college or in college people... click here

Lazer Cut
01-15-2010, 10:11 AM
I am currently a senior in H.S and I will be starting college in Sept.

My question is how do you manage college classes and mowing? What is best advice for someone going into be a full time student and still plan on having 50-65 accounts. I could have up to 80 when my friends get out of the business and they will be letting me take over their accounts.

How do you manage school with this?

How many accounts do you service?

How many days does it take you to complete?

would it be a good idea to hire a guy to run the biz while you're at school? Have a full time guy if I have 65-85 accounts and have him run it on the days I am in class if I have class all day like tues/thurs or mon/wed/fri

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I would like to have the 70-80 accounts but do not want to over exert myself and not be able to do that many accounts with school and what not.

Basically I want to get get to a comfortable number of accounts then turn others down or have a helper full time (part time starting out) that came manage all the accounts and the things while I am in school and have 80 accounts. I do not want to get 80 accounts then have to let half go.

Kinda lost on really what to do... I will be hiring a helper this summer... I believe I can do 12-15 accounts with the equipment I have by myself and maybe 18-23 with a helper.

Just really looking for current guys in the biz that are in college or seniors like me.

(i did a search on here and did not come up with much about my topic... dont bash me for asking this question... dont answer if you are going to say something that is a waste of time to read)

Thanks,
Justin

jbell36
01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
i basically just went through this...at the time it was only me and my brother, both in college...it was definitely hard to do, i would say the best bet is to hire someone that can handle it at least half of the time, if you think you could keep up with the other half...i will say i pretty much put work first school second although i did enough to make both work...grades weren't the most important to me knowing that owning a landscaping business is what i wanted to do, so building up clientel was very important to me and the sooner the better, thats what made it very difficult, which makes school very discouraging because i kept thinking "why am i wasting time and money for college?"

Kiril
01-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Not possible as a solo op unless all your course are night courses, and even then, you need time to sleep. If you are going to go to school .... THAT is your job. Thinking any other way is only setting yourself up to fail.

1993lx172
01-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd try to thin your list down to your best yards and get a good condensed list. I cut my list down before I started school and by keeping my best payers I actually had a better year than when I had more clients. Another thing I did to ease my work load was to put my yards on rotation. Half got done one week and the rest another, but whether or not you are able to do that really depends on how fast your yards grow and how the weather in your area is.

Remember School ALWAYS comes first.

Lazer Cut
01-15-2010, 12:48 PM
that'd be a good idea to rotate... especially since I start college sept. 22nd it is a bi-weekly cut anyways... just rotate half one week the other the next week...

Any thoughts about having the 60 customers say then have 30 one week and 30 the next? I believe that will be a good plan...

1993lx172
01-15-2010, 01:05 PM
How many you can get done in a day is another thing to consider. If you can get between ten and fifteen yards a day done then you will be in good shape. Try to have your last class Thursday afternoon and then head home to work and you could be done by Saturday afternoon and have plenty of time to relax a bit and get you homework done.

Since you start school so late in the season I think 30 a week could be doable if you can maintain a steady 15+ yards a day. It's going to be tough but I think that you are going to be able to handle it. Good luck and if you have any questions about college or making both work just let me know.

yard_smart
01-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Not possible as a solo op unless all your course are night courses, and even then, you need time to sleep. If you are going to go to school .... THAT is your job. Thinking any other way is only setting yourself up to fail.

Sooooo not true i am a full time student and I run a company as well ... we did 100k last year no doubt you will need employees but you gotta make money .... you can do it man !!!!

Lazer Cut
01-15-2010, 01:11 PM
yard smart... How many accounts do you have? how many employees?

Thanks for the encouragement guys I will deff. be working my a$s off to make this work...

Kiril
01-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Sooooo not true i am a full time student and I run a company as well ... we did 100k last year no doubt you will need employees but you gotta make money .... you can do it man !!!!

Key phrase highlighted.

mowerbrad
01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I go to paramedic school, which does take alot of time. Now, if you are going to be a full time student then I would consolidate your accounts to only the best accounts. If you want to do 65 accounts a week then you will definately need to hire 1 or 2 people to help you out. You will need to increase the number of accounts you can finish in one day and start tightening routes. I would try and knock your work load down a little bit and hire a helper. Try and do most of the mowing on the weekend and then school during the week. You will need to have enough time to study and work.

yard_smart
01-15-2010, 01:30 PM
yard smart... How many accounts do you have? how many employees?

Thanks for the encouragement guys I will deff. be working my a$s off to make this work...

We have about 20 accounts, we are looking to double that this year, I will have an operations manager, crew leader, and a secretary come spring along with a part time tech ....

Please keep in mind that we also do power washing. Although you may have alot more accounts than i do the time is made up for us washing ... Last year I ran two guys

Lazer Cut
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys on thing I will def not be doing is snow removal...
I think since it startas so late ill try to manage 60 and then do the rotation of 30 a week...
Posted via Mobile Device

Lazer Cut
01-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Anybody else that has advice or tips keep them coming... always can use some advice

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

aird208
01-15-2010, 10:04 PM
My brother and I are both full time students, I will graduate in May (thank goodness). Most important thing is time management. Schedule school so that you get all your classes out of the way either tues/thurs, or mwf. One of the semesters I had class every weekday but was out of class by noon and worked after.
The idea to maintain 30 accounts each week is a great idea. How big are the average properties you maintain?

Lazer Cut
01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
average size... anywhere from 1/4 and 1/2 acre some 3/4 (only 3)... now I have one property that is 2 acres and another 1.5 acres...picked up 5 daycare centers in my area... 3 are within 5 min. 1 is about 12 min and one is 20 min... not bad considering they picked me over the top 3 companies in my area... and i didnt lowball :cool2: I was $1k higher but they picked me :clapping::clapping::clapping::dancing:

I have right now 32 properties... they rotated like I wanted them... 17 one weekend and then 15 the next... worked out great... I would like to have 60 accounts and manage 30 a week... I believe that is maintainable because I will target areas close to my house and also where I have current accounts... I will be trimming that list to about 25 and then growing from there... 7 of my customers are either slow payers... one hasnt paid to this date... and another I underbid when I first started and i cant afford to keep doing it... losing my a$s on it lol

so I'd like to gain 30 customers... my friends are getting outta the biz and are going to hand their accounts over to me... about 25-30 accounts... so if I have about 50-60 of my own i could gain up to about 80 cause certain customers i will not take on cause they are not near me but 20 outta the 25-30 are near me... I believe 40 accounts a week could be doable with a partner... tues/thurs schedule and work 3 days a week and knock them out or m/w/f and knock them out after school and during my days off...

I think I'd rather stick to 30-35 customers per week...

albhb3
01-16-2010, 01:49 AM
well...since the big O wants you to go to school be a reble and stick to your accounts:hammerhead:

albhb3
01-16-2010, 10:51 AM
x2 post sorry

Lazer Cut
01-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I will be attending UC university of cincy baby!!! Go bearcats... even though they lost in the bowl game lol
Posted via Mobile Device