PDA

View Full Version : optimistic Goals?

Wilbuckeye21
01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey Guys,
I have A quick question: I want to start a part time lawn mowing buisness with say a walk behind mower to do residentials and maybe a small commercial
my goal is to make between 15-20K a year plus a little plowing in the winter.
What is the best route for someone like me to take to get that type of money after 1-2 yrs
Thanks for your help.

ProcsLC
01-15-2010, 11:23 AM
The best route to take? I would focus on offering quality not quantity work. I have been in the biz a brief period of time and found that the more I educate myself and believe in what I am selling, the easier it is to make people happy and make money.

Word of mouth has been huge for my business, I am always approachable and willing to offer advise to my customers when they have a question. Which turns into them calling me first and asking me if so and so is something I could do for them and if not, who would I recommend for the job...

I started and still use flyers to attract new business and follow up with every call I get even when I know its not a job I want to do. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "hey, thanks for calling me back, your the first lawn guy to do so" which tells me these people are willing and able to pay for a service and even though they may just be price shopping now (wasting your time) I bet they will be the first person to recommend you to their family and friends. Just my 2 cents.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Buckeye,

Is the 15-20K an income goal, or gross goal. If gross, completely doable. You will need to market the heck out of yourself the first few seasons. Ads, flyers, doorhangers, craigslist, etc. Word of mouth will not catch on until you have done good, quality business for a few seasons. Spend a few days early spring walking around flyers and if you see people at home, advise them what you do. Keep your chin up when that phone doesn't ring as much as you think it should. Eventually, you will get the business and you will hit that gross goal, perhaps even the first season. I would encourage you to make a budget so that unreasonable expenses don't knock down your bottom line too much. Plow almost your entire net back into the biz.

If you want to NET 15-20K, that will take more than just a season or two. You are talking a gross of 35-40K or more. If this is a midrange goal (2-3 seasons out), it sounds reasonable, but probably not the first season.

Wilbuckeye21
01-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks Guys!

Turf Commando
01-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Most lco's take at least 3-5 years to get established..