View Full Version : new (to me) hooklift truck

ranger350
01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Just got it, 2005 F650 with Multilift XR7

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/mgman71/P1030388.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/mgman71/P1030389.jpg

Dodge2
01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
I seen that truck on autotrader.ca, looks great!!
P.S how much can you put in the bins?

ranger350
01-15-2010, 05:47 PM
I seen that truck on autotrader.ca, looks great!!
P.S how much can you put in the bins?

That paticular bin is around 11 yards. I'm going to make some new ones of similar size, some smaller ones and a landscape dump bed.

JohnnyRoyale
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
I saw that on in the Trader too. Nice looking truck. Congrats.

ranger350
01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Other then the seats, the truck is very clean. The frame has no rust on it anywhere (still original). Have to fix the door on the aluminum fender thing, the latch isnt right and the whole door latching system is ******ed so i'll redo that and fix a few of the cracked welds around it from the vibration.

Gravel Rat
01-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Nice clean truck it doesn't look like it got used much. I would probably take those box fenders off and make separate tool boxes something that doesn't hang so low. Also when the frame twists you will get cracks because there isn't enough flexability.

Truck looks good you will be putting the hoist on a heavier truck soon enough :laugh:

Dodge2
01-16-2010, 11:15 PM
How much weight can the lift/truck hold? I love the idea of a hook system on a truck that size.

STIHL GUY
01-16-2010, 11:17 PM
looks pretty sweet

ranger350
01-17-2010, 11:51 AM
How much weight can the lift/truck hold? I love the idea of a hook system on a truck that size.

hook is supposed to load 15,000-16,000 lbs the truck has a 24,000 GVWR so with a bin probably 5-6 tons, i have to get a actual weight with the hooklift alone with no load

Gravel Rat
01-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Your limiting factor for the load carrying is the low pro 22.5 tires but I would say 5 ton is your maximum weight your going to carry.

I would even start looking at building aluminum boxes or something that is lighter. You can get the hooklift frame rails and you build your body on it. The box could be steel framed and you can use aluminum for the sides bottom etc.

ranger350
01-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Your limiting factor for the load carrying is the low pro 22.5 tires but I would say 5 ton is your maximum weight your going to carry.

I would even start looking at building aluminum boxes or something that is lighter. You can get the hooklift frame rails and you build your body on it. The box could be steel framed and you can use aluminum for the sides bottom etc.

Yea I guess it could be the tires, truck has a 8500 lbs front and 17500 rear. I did a quick estimate on the bin I have and it weighs about a ton. Trying to work out the best / lightest / cost effective design. Just the sheet metal for the bottom and sides is ~800 lbs

Gravel Rat
01-17-2010, 01:51 PM
It depends on what you want to haul. If your hauling brush and leaves you can make a box out of expanded metal the bottom would have to be solid but the sides could be expanded metal.

You will have to get the tare weight of the truck then you know for sure what kind of payload you have.

If the axles are 8500 and 17,500 you will be surely maxed out at 5 ton payload. Keep the truck light as possible no extra un-needed weight better look and see where you can do weight reductions.

For landscaping purposes the truck will be okay but for making money with it as in the bin business the truck is a little too light. It would be good if you had a couple crews working maybe one crew is doing a yard clean up you can leave a empty bin and another crew is doing a mulching job etc.

A hooklift also makes hauling a skid steer or mini excavators easier it eliminates a trailer. Load it in the box, pull the box on and go.

ranger350
01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
The bin I have now is pretty heavy for the size. Going to make some larger ones, 14 yard or so. 5 tons is quite alot of junk. Anything dirt or concrete would be going into a smaller bin, or landscape dump box. That will definatly complement my backhoe service considering i didnt have a dumptruck or trailer. My brother does landscaping so thats a plus. Will be doing bin rentals, just have to get more or make more. Not really many people in this area (unlike toronto) in the biz. I originally wanted just a medium duty dump but figured this would be much more versile