PDA

View Full Version : skid steer valve stem protectors

YellowDogSVC
01-15-2010, 08:46 PM
How many of you run skid steer valve stem protectors? I always do. the one time I didn't, I broke off the valve stem.

I decided to put my bigger tires on a for a few weeks to help get me past the wet times and found my new set of tires didn't have valve stem protectors welded to the rim. I'm going to do it before I take the machine into the woods. It's a small deal but could save you from a bad day in the woods. Thought I'd share what I have learned the hard way.

Gravel Rat
01-15-2010, 08:52 PM
On the skidders they use a threaded n*pple welded to the wheel with a cap screwed on top.

Working in bush all it takes is a stick to wipe of the valve stem the tire goes flat you don't realize it until its too late.

Get fancy and tig weld the protectors to the wheels the weld comes out clean and its strong.

wanabe
01-15-2010, 08:58 PM
I have see old chevy rockers used for this as well.

YellowDogSVC
01-15-2010, 10:08 PM
On the skidders they use a threaded n*pple welded to the wheel with a cap screwed on top.

Working in bush all it takes is a stick to wipe of the valve stem the tire goes flat you don't realize it until its too late.

Get fancy and tig weld the protectors to the wheels the weld comes out clean and its strong.

I'm going to let the dealer use mig. I only have stick and I won't weld on rims anyway. Went to funeral of a guy that lost his head welding on a rim..

Gravel Rat
01-15-2010, 10:21 PM
You have to take the tire off its the safest way of doing it. It is the heat created makes the tire expand to its limits and goes boom. A exploding tire can kill you. Even airing up a flat tire can explode and kill you.

bobcat_ron
01-16-2010, 12:10 AM
My Dad welded 2" steel square tubing to his 943 Bobcat rims after the tire shop removed the rubber, they worked very well for many years.
The last system I saw on a skidder at Brandt Tractor had round thick wall pipe with a cover that was bolted on top to get to the stem valve, very clever.

YellowDogSVC
01-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, I got the moon tires put back on today. 14x17.5 and tall. I will get the valve covers, hopefully on Monday. We'll see if they can get it. I don't want to have to take the tires off the rims. The shop will know what to do.. I wonder if letting all the air and breaking bead would be safe?

bobcatuser
01-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Well, I got the moon tires put back on today. 14x17.5 and tall. I will get the valve covers, hopefully on Monday. We'll see if they can get it. I don't want to have to take the tires off the rims. The shop will know what to do.. I wonder if letting all the air and breaking bead would be safe?

I would remove the stems when doing the welding, then install new metal core valve stems. Make sure there is enough room for the nut/washer.

YellowDogSVC
01-17-2010, 01:30 AM
I would remove the stems when doing the welding, then install new metal core valve stems. Make sure there is enough room for the nut/washer.

the stems on the factory rims are short, metal stems.

Gravel Rat
01-17-2010, 01:30 AM

Why chance ruining a tire with welding heat it doesn't take much to remove tires. A tire monkey can have them off pretty quick.

I do agree go with solid stem tires if you are putting the stem pipes on the wheels. They do have rubber brass stems I have them on my F-450 not totally sold on them.

YellowDogSVC
01-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Why chance ruining a tire with welding heat it doesn't take much to remove tires. A tire monkey can have them off pretty quick.

I do agree go with solid stem tires if you are putting the stem pipes on the wheels. They do have rubber brass stems I have them on my F-450 not totally sold on them.

I'll leave it up to the shop. They put these on all the brush machines.
Bobcat's stems are short but they can still get knocked off by logs so I want to get the protectors before I go back in the woods.

Gravel Rat
01-17-2010, 02:29 AM
It doesn't matter if the valve stem is long or short all it takes is you to turn into the butt of a log laying on the ground and it will knock a stem off.

The other problem you will have to watch is bead penetration you can get wood that can start poking inbetween the bead of the tire and wheel.

YellowDogSVC
01-17-2010, 02:36 AM
luckily, these 14 ply tires have a good bead guard. The only machine I ran without valve protectors broke a valve stem as soon as it was in the woods.
I've never lost a bead on a tire from a log but I've come close by damaging a rim. I'm pretty careful, though. Been doing this a long, long time. I just wanted other guys to avoid the headache. I see a lot of machines on ebay, machinery trader, etc., without a brush package (skid steers, ctls, tlb's) and a little upfit can save a lot of headache later.

Gravel Rat
01-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Some tires have a moulded in bead protector it help to prevent bead penetration. The worst thing is a broken off tree stub it looks harmless but boy they can rip the sidewall out of a tire quick :laugh:

YellowDogSVC
01-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Some tires have a moulded in bead protector it help to prevent bead penetration. The worst thing is a broken off tree stub it looks harmless but boy they can rip the sidewall out of a tire quick :laugh:

luckily these extreme duty tires have a super sidewall. I have had all kinds of things go through tires. Had rebar go through one side and out the other. Luckily the tires were solids but boy, it took a while to get the rebar out!

Jimmyed
01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I just use 2-2 1/2 inch black pipe and a cap. Bust the bead on the stem side, weld in on. New stem and fill with air, simple, not rocket science like mud mouse makes it out to be.