PDA

View Full Version : trade in the 08' diesel or keep it?

supercuts
01-16-2010, 09:39 AM
im at a cross road. i have an 08' f350 xlt diesel with 30k miles, my 3y 36k mile bumper to bumper has till Nov. but will expire with miles this summer and the balance of the 5y 100k engine warrantee.

if youve read the post about the new ford 6.7 powerstroke forum you've seen the numerous problems ive had with my 08. i just picked it up for an injector, the 3rd pulley on the engine, and fan clutch. well yesturday in 30-35 degree weather my fan turned on and off a dozen times over a 25 min commute.

in turn, after work, i went dealer hopping. i figure if i was going to get rid of it im done with diesels unless i get a 5.9 cummins or 7.3 powerstroke, both hard to do trading in for a new truck.

i went to a ford dealer, to leave my 08 for a nearly identical f250xlt 5.4 gas truck with a plow (leaving the plow on my truck) they offered me $26,500 for mine against a new ($39,900 msrp +$5k for the fisher) truck. the price was down to $38k and about a $11,500 balance difference. i called back and of course they were willing to lower the balance down to $10k and let me keep my plow to sell on my own, worth at least $2500, so id be out about $7500.

my truck also has some recent body damage from our 15" slick snow storm last month and has a good $3-4K in damage. the ford dealer then offered to sell my truck on commission with the plow claiming to net me $33k after commision of $1500. then i could by the gas job for $5k.

so, would you dump an 08' diesel with a balance of warantee for a new gas truck for $5k? my thought is even though the new diesel suck fuel, they still have a crazy resale. and if i were to buy the 2010 gas truck, as soon as i drive that brand new truck off the lot it would already be worth less than the 08' i just traded in and its costing me $5k on top of that!

my thought has been thats alot of money to get rid of a truck because i dont like it and hate its mileage. my diesel is fast as hell and has lots of power. to me it seems like alot to get rid of it just because i dont like it. my account said wait until its 3yrs old to get the most out of the write off.

i also stopped to look at a GMC 2500hd and dodge 2500 SLT with a hemi. the dodge was at an $8k difference keeping my plow which i would have to swap over (about $500 in parts). the base model GMC with NO FEATURES but came with a mm2 7.5' plow was an $11k difference and i would get to keep my plow.

right now, im going to wait my truck out at least through the snow season although i may put it on the lot on consignment. under our agreement the dealer only gets $1500 if they sell it and i can take it at any time for any reason ( but really on if it snows) until it snows. they simply ask for a phone call so they dont think its stolen.

MY ADVICE TO ANYONE; if your trading in a truck with a plow, tell them its not included. when i called for back to ask them what my trade was without the plow, they offered me just as much. and when i asked others, it was no more than $1000 difference for a 2yr old $4500 plow. KEEP YOUR PLOW AND SELL IT YOURSELF!

so, the point of this thread. im looking for words of wisdom for others in my shoes. im asking 18 year olds with their 1993 ford ranger to chime in with more than comments like "dude...id be all other that new truck, they are sweet!!!" looking for real comments thanks

supercuts
01-16-2010, 09:59 AM
wow, i guess i should have spell checked and re-read that...wow. i also forgot to mention, the GMC 2500hd could only take a 7.5' plow (i use 8.5') and was stripped down, the dodge 2500 now only come in crew cab, the quad cab is only in 1500 series. the 2500 seems so long with a crew cab short bed. the length of the body just looks soooo long. we do nearly all res. plowing. which brings me back to ford which is the cheapest in price..... im also pursing a lemon law but unfortuately many of my complaints were never documented.......which brings me to my next point

ANYONE WITH A NEW TRUCK.....MAKE SURE EVERY SINGLE LITTLE TINY MINOR COMPLAINT IS PROPERLY DOCUMENTED!!

i had brougth my truck in with 2-3 problems each time and they would only look at two. ive spoke to the CT DMV lemon law dept. and they said each time its in counts as a repair even if they dont look at the specific problem. also, if they need to order parts and you need to bring it back in, that counts as another visit for the same problem. obviously dealers know this and they skated around that by not listing all my complaints on work orders.

WH401
01-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Well, both trucks will probably get around the same mileage, so toss that out the window. As far as power, the diesel will definitely have it, and the 5.4 in a 250/350 will be a dog, so that makes that decision easy. Now, a $5k difference between trucks? Well, after the warranty is up on the diesel, do you think if it has any more problems that it will cost more than $5k to fix it? That's the question really. If it will be over $5k than it might be worth looking into the gasser. But, like you said, your trading a valuable truck for a truck that will be just above worthless as soon as you drive it off the lot. I know having a problematic truck is PITA, but I think if I was in your shoes I would probably keep the diesel.

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-16-2010, 11:35 AM
i dont know what to tell you man, you must have gotten one of the bad batches of 08's. I put 26K miles on my 09 the first year ive owned it and had zero issues, other than them replacing my trailer wireing hookup. and my truck has had a plow on it since the week we brought it home.

personally, id go with a v10, you'll be disappointed in that 5.4 with plowing/towing. before we bought this 350, i looked at both gm and dodge, the dodge they wanted more money for less truck so i said no go. and the gm i was not impressed by. keep in mind we currently own two chevys and my dad has owned all dodges prior to 2002. this is our first ford and we have been very impressed so far. youve got a hard decision to make!

GravelyGuy
01-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Find another dealer that can actually fix your truck and keep it. JMO

PLS-Tx
01-16-2010, 11:48 AM
I would not want a truck that was giving me a lot of problems, warranty or not.

If it was me I would trade it for a V10.

Evan528
01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Good luck finding a new v-10 though..... seems that no dealers even have them. The 5.4 is very underpowerd if you pulling a good amount of weight..... I have one.

I would keep your Diesel 08 at least untill the end of the 5/100,000 motor warranty than if it is still giving you problems than think about trading.

kps2389
01-16-2010, 12:39 PM
I would keep your truck until it's costing you money out of your own pocket to fix. Now its all under warranty so you don't have to worry.

supercuts
01-16-2010, 12:40 PM
i am back and forth with the v-10/v-8. this truck is mostly used for personal use but occassionally pulls the trailer. in theroy, this truck was supposed to be rotated into full business duty as needed as some point down the road which is why i wanted the diesel for the power. we just bought an older f350 rack dump so we are at the point were im also considereing a ram 1500 with a plow and then just replace the actual work truck we would at some point be retiring with another actual work truck.......but they no longer put plows on them

thanks for the input, keep it coming

AdamChrap
01-16-2010, 02:19 PM
I say Ford V-10 or Dodge Cummins. I have a Dodge mega Cab with the Cummins. Plows great and doesn't feel as big as you think. If it is going to be mainly your personal use you will LOVE the Mega Cab.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=301425

supercuts
01-16-2010, 02:37 PM
I say Ford V-10 or Dodge Cummins. I have a Dodge mega Cab with the Cummins. Plows great and doesn't feel as big as you think. If it is going to be mainly your personal use you will LOVE the Mega Cab.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=301425

one of my gripes with the crew cab is that its already too big and its business use if for residential plowing.....not the place for a mega cab

on a side note has anyone checked out the 2011 fords coming out in may?

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-16-2010, 03:57 PM
i plow residentials with my crew cab long bed 350srw. i needed the crew cab for personal and the truck also needed to work so i deal with it...lol

i really like alot of the features they are incorporating into the new superduty like the live pto, the readout on the dash, and all the trailering options

rcslawncare
01-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Get the V-10, you will be stressing the 5.4 out just in everyday driving. The V-10 will be the better choice.

supercuts
01-16-2010, 04:49 PM
if we go ford gas it will most likely be the v10. although if this process takes us the year, the only options are the new 6.2l gas or the 6.7l powerJOKE.

lawn king
01-16-2010, 05:12 PM
One way or another, you have to get that $hitbox ford out of your life, the sooner the better! Make your best deal asap and move on. I went through the same thing with a dodge in the 80's, i dumped a fortune into it and every week without fail it would break down! I sold it for a song, lost a ton of money, but i got it out of my life! If you want to stay with diesel go GM or dodge. You dont want to buy the first year of a new ford diesel. Ford has lost a lot of loyal truck guys with 3 + years of big problems with these powerstrokes.

supercuts
01-16-2010, 05:21 PM
One way or another, you have to get that $hitbox ford out of your life, the sooner the better! Make your best deal asap and move on. I went through the same thing with a dodge in the 80's, i dumped a fortune into it and every week without fail it would break down! I sold it for a song, lost a ton of money, but i got it out of my life! If you want to stay with diesel go GM or dodge. You dont want to buy the first year of a new ford diesel. Ford has lost a lot of loyal truck guys with 3 + years of big problems with these powerstrokes.

i WILL NOT buy any new diesel, unless its had a proven worth while track record for several years first. none of the three are there yet. they each have their problems along with poor mileage. if i dump my 08' it will only be for a gas engine. if i sell it on commission i may go for an 03 with a 7.3 and have little to no payment.

my truck goes back in on thursday. the new fan clutch was just put in and my fan keeps going on. the dpf went on twice in 30 mins blowing blue smoke each time.

TXNSLighting
01-16-2010, 06:20 PM
I really think you should keep it for a while longer, and look into another dealer for repairs. Alot of the problems are caused by techs not knowing what theyre doing. Youre dealer doesnt sound too great. Do those things and see what happens. Youre still in warranty for a long time, so i dont think you will be wallet hurt for a while. thats just what i would do.

I wish i woulda kept my 04 6.0 now and switched dealers. I saw the truck at the fuel station about 2 years after i traded it in, and the guy loves it. He said at first it gave him some issues but they got corrected, and it has been flawless sense.. He used a different dealer then i used since i traded the truck in another town.

buttaluv
01-16-2010, 07:41 PM
6 to one, 1/2 dozen to another!! good luck

TXNSLighting
01-16-2010, 08:24 PM
one of my gripes with the crew cab is that its already too big and its business use if for residential plowing.....not the place for a mega cab

O and those 2011's are awesome! My dealer had one about a month ago, and i thought it was well done. Sounded great, and was comfy as can be. I like what they did.

TXNSLighting
01-16-2010, 08:50 PM

O and those 2011's are awesome! My dealer had one about a month ago, and i thought it was well done. Sounded great, and was comfy as can be. I like what they did.

grassman177
01-17-2010, 10:45 AM
i can say we have three current v10s and theya re great with no problems and no lack of power. if you can find one in a 250 you will get about 12 mpg, but in a 350 only aobut 7-8mpg. this is towing a large load by the way. the difference is mainly in the rear end. take not, only 350 and up will have v10 option for 2011. the dealer we use does not carry many of the v10s, but special order is where it is at anyways. done be afraid to do that as we have for two of our 4 v10s

lawn king
01-17-2010, 11:01 AM
The duramax is proven, 18 mpg highway, generation 5 due out next year. This is not blind conjecture, my 08 just turned 41000. I work this truck year round, hauling,towing,plowing & long cruises on the highway, minor repairs, no engine issues what so ever!

Gravel Rat
01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
It sounds like the Ford dealer you have isn't very good. I know of many 08s that haven't been touched just keep driving them.

Anyway you look at it your going to loose money nobody ever wins when it comes to vehical resale.

I do agree don't buy a truck with a 5.4 find a V-10 if you can find one.

Put lots of insurance on it and write it off :laugh:

supercuts
01-18-2010, 07:06 AM
only 350 and up will have v10 option for 2011.

the dealer i was at adn the website only shows the 6.2L which replaces teh v10 and 5.4. there will only be 2 engine options for 2011 a gas or a diesel, 6.2 gas, 6.7 diesel...thats it

lawn king
01-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Time to explore other options. If this is a primary work truck look at cabovers. If i was you, i wouldn't give ford another dime, ever!

integrityman
01-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Personally, I would sell it privately, like on Craigslist or on Autotrader. Get rid of it and go with a Chevy. You will loose some $$, but have peace of mind. Dump it.

supercuts
01-21-2010, 03:31 PM
so my truck is back in again, just heard from ford. its in for excessive exhaust smoke, brake have been squeaking and the new fan is turning on excessively since they fixed the fan clutch.

this is what they told me.....they have called ford engineering and spoke to them for 40 mins about my truck. they are putting something on the turbo to try and reduce exhaust smoke. the fan turns on all the time because its part of the progam for the plow prep. he said that doesnt matter at all as far as the fan goes BUT its lowering the oil temp and sending my truck into regen more often, contributing to my smoke problem. they are unprogramming the fan to normal mode. ive also been complaining none stop about horrible mileage, break squeak, burning smell.....well my front pads are shot at 30k miles and he said the right front caliper is frozen solid. on the lift he was unable to make my right front spin. WTF?????? when does it end??

on a positive note i am supposed to hear back from the dept of motor vehicles today and find out if Ford will agree to buy my truck back.

GravelyGuy
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
so my truck is back in again, just heard from ford. its in for excessive exhaust smoke, brake have been squeaking and the new fan is turning on excessively since they fixed the fan clutch.

this is what they told me.....they have called ford engineering and spoke to them for 40 mins about my truck. they are putting something on the turbo to try and reduce exhaust smoke. the fan turns on all the time because its part of the progam for the plow prep. he said that doesnt matter at all as far as the fan goes BUT its lowering the oil temp and sending my truck into regen more often, contributing to my smoke problem. they are unprogramming the fan to normal mode. ive also been complaining none stop about horrible mileage, break squeak, burning smell.....well my front pads are shot at 30k miles and he said the right front caliper is frozen solid. on the lift he was unable to make my right front spin. WTF?????? when does it end??

on a positive note i am supposed to hear back from the dept of motor vehicles today and find out if Ford will agree to buy my truck back.

I would be so pissed I wouldn't even be able to type it all out. Good luck.

supercuts
01-21-2010, 06:11 PM
i just spoke to a friend who keeps up on this stuff (he has an 08 diesel too). he told me teh 08's had alot of brake problems and guys were literally jacking their trucks up ever so often to make sure their tires spun freely. WTF!! will it end? ford told me they wanted $250 to fix the brakes. he said the caliper still worked but the pad froze to it and wasnt working properly and oh yeah, not under warrantee!

wow, getting old and stupid, I had to edit this and change breaks to brakes.....time for bed

johnnybravo8802
01-21-2010, 09:37 PM
If it's going to be a personal truck, why pay the extra costs for the diesel + fuel costs. I have a Dodge 1500 quad cab with the 4.8 V-8, has 120,000+ miles on it, and it hasn't given me one problem. I had an F250 before it with the 5.4 and it was not an impressive truck. I think my Dodge has as much power and is a much nicer truck. For personal use, the plushness of a Dodge is unsurpassed. With the new crew cab, you don't need a mega cab.

supercuts
01-22-2010, 07:11 AM
If it's going to be a personal truck, why pay the extra costs for the diesel + fuel costs. I have a Dodge 1500 quad cab with the 4.8 V-8, has 120,000+ miles on it, and it hasn't given me one problem. I had an F250 before it with the 5.4 and it was not an impressive truck. I think my Dodge has as much power and is a much nicer truck. For personal use, the plushness of a Dodge is unsurpassed. With the new crew cab, you don't need a mega cab.

as stated before, i bought the diesel because it was supposed to be rotated into the business to replace older trucks or add another if needed. although it is mostly personal use, it does pull a trailer occassionally and ive been using it more and more for work this year as the business has been growing. it is simply planning ahead. my personal truck will always be a backup/ready to go work truck. it simply makes sense

lawn king
01-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Time to get away for the weekend, a trip to cape cod! Perhaps vandals will steal,joyride & burn your truck while you are OUT OF TOWN, could happen?

buttaluv
01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
man, I am sorry you are having all that trouble, you spend what they charge for a new vehicle to supposedly have piece of mind and then all this!! I guess that's why I drive the old junk, I'm not as heart broken when it breaks, anyway good luck in whatever avenue you take.

Marek
01-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Go to a new dealer ! Second get on the phone with Ford customer service, tell them whats going on and that its costing you money for that truck being down. If you get thru to the right person they will reimberse you for your troubles. Try making them give you a extra 100 k warranty. Thats what they did for one of my trucks. My Ford tech tells me all the time to never get rid of any of our 7.3s. We have a 08 450 with the v 10. Love it . Mpg sucks but didnt buy it for that.No problems and still have the Ford truck. Not sure if I will be buying any more Ford trucks with the diesel. Too many problems with the motors, the rest of the truck is great. If you are thinking new diesels look at the GM , its the only one with no motor problems. How many miles a yr will you be putting on it per year ?

lawn king
01-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Going to another dealer is not going to change the fact that this particular truck was built late on a friday afternoon! Its obviously a lemon! Computer software problem, fan clutches, fuel mgmt, now big brake problems, tranny nightmares are probably around the next bend? Drop ten and punt now, its only going to get worse! The truck value is not going to increase with age & milage!

Marek
01-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I dont disagree but the truck will be worth more on resale if he can get the extra 100k warranty out of them for free.Will pm you the name and number of the girl at ford who did mine.

TXNSLighting
01-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Going to another dealer is not going to change the fact that this particular truck was built late on a friday afternoon! Its obviously a lemon! Computer software problem, fan clutches, fuel mgmt, now big brake problems, tranny nightmares are probably around the next bend? Drop ten and punt now, its only going to get worse! The truck value is not going to increase with age & milage!

Not quite. Youd be surprised how much affect a bad diesel tech can have on these truck...Ive witnessed it first hand.

soloscaperman
01-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a dealer problem as well. I have worked in a dealership and most guys are just parts changers. I have seen trucks that go back a lot with the same mechanic and later they either get fired or hand it to the next mechanic. I heard that when a stupid mechanic messes up under warranty no other guy wants to work on it because they get less hours which means they get less money.

If I was you sell the damn thing because I remember you complaining in the past and I feel bad. Stress is not worth it. It's like a cheap crappy customer, get rid of it why you can because you know you can't change it.

I would buy a strong gas truck like the 5.4 and add a turbo or supercharger it will sound nice and pull better then your diesel with way better MPG (turbo)

Chevy has the vortec line and the 6.0 rocks!

My landscaper friend has a Dodge diesel 05 or 07 and that thing almost made me sh** in my pants when he pulled his mustang up a straight hill on his huge trailer like it was nothing. But there transmission's and resale are not good.

Junior M
01-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Sounds like a dealer problem as well. I have worked in a dealership and most guys are just parts changers. I have seen trucks that go back a lot with the same mechanic and later they either get fired or hand it to the next mechanic. I heard that when a stupid mechanic messes up under warranty no other guy wants to work on it because they get less hours which means they get less money.

If I was you sell the damn thing because I remember you complaining in the past and I feel bad. Stress is not worth it. It's like a cheap crappy customer, get rid of it why you can because you know you can't change it.

I would buy a strong gas truck like the 5.4 and add a turbo or supercharger it will sound nice and pull better then your diesel with way better MPG (turbo)

Chevy has the vortec line and the 6.0 rocks!

My landscaper friend has a Dodge diesel 05 or 07 and that thing almost made me sh** in my pants when he pulled his mustang up a straight hill on his huge trailer like it was nothing. But there transmission's and resale are not good.
any tranny after 04 is pretty much bullet proof...

the 06 and up is especially good..

supercuts
01-24-2010, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=soloscaperman;3376903]Sounds like a dealer problem as well. I have worked in a dealership and most guys are just parts changers. I have seen trucks that go back a lot with the same mechanic and later they either get fired or hand it to the next mechanic. I heard that when a stupid mechanic messes up under warranty no other guy wants to work on it because they get less hours which means they get less money.
QUOTE]

i think the mechanic there (their only diesel tech) has done a good job. i trust him. he has been on the phone with ford engineering trying to figure my truck out. its not his fault, its half mine for being stupid and buying a first year diesel engine, and half fords engineering a POS that they cant fix. who designs an engine with an exhaust chamber that requires fuel to "burn" it clean and the only way to get the fuel in is to inject it into the engine on the exhaust stroke, forcing the fuel down the exhaust and in the meanwhile getting past the rings so my oil fills with fuel..... im no engineer, but how hard could it have been to put a direct injection into the exhaust?

the 2011 ford 6.7 powerstroke due out in may is now a $12,000+ option according to the dealer and requires a special 8qt tank additive that will be injected to clean the exhaust. now, along with your $110 oil change you'll have to fill this tank at who knows how much. probably something crazy like $25/quart. one quart is supposed to go 1,000 miles and if you run out your truck dies......well mine dies anyway..... but that is propably a lie too just like i was told my truck would get 18mpg and hangs out around 11-12

WH401
01-24-2010, 09:08 AM

The transmissions are fine and the resale value is just as good as any other truck, so stop kidding yourself.

johnnybravo8802
01-24-2010, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=soloscaperman;3376903]Sounds like a dealer problem as well. I have worked in a dealership and most guys are just parts changers. I have seen trucks that go back a lot with the same mechanic and later they either get fired or hand it to the next mechanic. I heard that when a stupid mechanic messes up under warranty no other guy wants to work on it because they get less hours which means they get less money.
QUOTE]

i think the mechanic there (their only diesel tech) has done a good job. i trust him. he has been on the phone with ford engineering trying to figure my truck out. its not his fault, its half mine for being stupid and buying a first year diesel engine, and half fords engineering a POS that they cant fix. who designs an engine with an exhaust chamber that requires fuel to "burn" it clean and the only way to get the fuel in is to inject it into the engine on the exhaust stroke, forcing the fuel down the exhaust and in the meanwhile getting past the rings so my oil fills with fuel..... im no engineer, but how hard could it have been to put a direct injection into the exhaust?

the 2011 ford 6.7 powerstroke due out in may is now a $12,000+ option according to the dealer and requires a special 8qt tank additive that will be injected to clean the exhaust. now, along with your $110 oil change you'll have to fill this tank at who knows how much. probably something crazy like $25/quart. one quart is supposed to go 1,000 miles and if you run out your truck dies......well mine dies anyway..... but that is propably a lie too just like i was told my truck would get 18mpg and hangs out around 11-12
It's funny you should mention about the oil filling with fuel-I have a buddy with an 06' F450 and the exact same problem. He just spent a chunk trying to fix it and it didn't work. Now, he's having to replace the heads and they're $1250/piece!!!!!!:dizzy::dizzy:He has a guy who is going to do the install for a lot less but he swears the Ford dealer would charge an astronomical price to do it-He said they'd have to lift the cab up off of the frame to do the job. Man, I'd be pissed if I had to have that done-I've never heard about sh#@ like that!!!!!!:hammerhead::hammerhead:

DuallyVette
01-24-2010, 09:37 AM
i just spoke to a friend who keeps up on this stuff (he has an 08 diesel too). he told me teh 08's had alot of brake problems and guys were literally jacking their trucks up ever so often to make sure their tires spun freely. WTF!! will it end? ford told me they wanted $250 to fix the brakes. he said the caliper still worked but the pad froze to it and wasnt working properly and oh yeah, not under warrantee!

wow,

When I have a problem with a vehicle, and can document (from magazine articles, or internet discussions) a problem. (lots of people with the same issues) I present this information to my service advisor ( after my service advisor told me that me vehicle is the 1st one with that problem that they've seen. GM always fixed it for me...even OUT of waranty.

"The caliper worked, but the pad froze to it and wasn't working properly"
I'm no expert, but I just put pads on my Duramax duallys $70 per axle = a little of my time. The dealer would have to give me a detailed explanation of what they mean by this. If the caliper is working..and the pad DID stick to the caliper...the caliper would PULL the pad away from the rotor, when you released the brakes. If the pad ISN"T stuck to the caliper...Then the pressure on the pad toward the rotor, would be eliminated when you released the brakes. If the caliper IS BAD only then, would the pad remain pressed against the rotor after the brakes are released.

TXNSLighting
01-24-2010, 09:48 AM
QUOTE]

The majority of the people ive talked to with these trucks (09+) love them.

Ford didnt design it my good man. International did. And thats emissions!! Thank the EPA for that crap. Blame International, not Ford..Why do you think theyre building theyre own engine now?? They got tired of Navistars screw ups. Also, my dealer told me theres only a thousand dollar increase on the new engine/tranny combo. Once the 2012's come out. Im going to take a look at them. But NOT THE FIRST YEAR!! ha! sorry i had to.

No i checked into that urea injection stuff, and its $5/quart. Thats what the truck holds, And it lasts 5000 miles. So i dont think thats to bad. And its going to cut down on the regens.

TXNSLighting
01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE=supercuts;3378075]
It's funny you should mention about the oil filling with fuel-I have a buddy with an 06' F450 and the exact same problem. He just spent a chunk trying to fix it and it didn't work. Now, he's having to replace the heads and they're $1250/piece!!!!!!:dizzy::dizzy:He has a guy who is going to do the install for a lot less but he swears the Ford dealer would charge an astronomical price to do it-He said they'd have to lift the cab up off of the frame to do the job. Man, I'd be pissed if I had to have that done-I've never heard about sh#@ like that!!!!!!:hammerhead::hammerhead:

I wish people would realize after your warranty is up, DONT GO BACK TO THE DEALER!!! find a good local Diesel repair shop, and it will get done for half the price, and done better then at the dealer most the time!

supercuts
01-24-2010, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=TXNSLighting;3378127][QUOTE=supercuts;3378075]

Ford didnt design it my good man. International did. And thats emissions!! Thank the EPA for that crap. Blame International, not Ford..Why do you think theyre building theyre own engine now?? They got tired of Navistars screw ups. Also, my dealer told me theres only a thousand dollar increase on the new engine/tranny combo. Once the 2012's come out. Im going to take a look at them. But NOT THE FIRST YEAR!! ha! sorry i had to.

QUOTE]

your right.....but ford still aloud that POS in my truck and its Ford who takes my money so its Ford i complain about! its time for them to pony up and do the right thing. i was supposed to hear last week from CT DMV....just waiting to hear.

I just counted, ive had at least 11 fords i could remember quickly which ford should show on their database. i think im the type of customer they would want to make happy

johnnybravo8802
01-24-2010, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=TXNSLighting;3378127][QUOTE=supercuts;3378075]

QUOTE]

your right.....but ford still aloud that POS in my truck and its Ford who takes my money so its Ford i complain about! its time for them to pony up and do the right thing. i was supposed to hear last week from CT DMV....just waiting to hear.

I just counted, ive had at least 11 fords i could remember quickly which ford should show on their database. i think im the type of customer they would want to make happy
That's right, Ford chose to put the International crap in their trucks and then sell to their dedicated customers-It's Ford's problem!!!!!!!!!:hammerhead::hammerhead:You know, they had to pad the pockets of the CEO's and save a buck by going with International. However, it's not the CEO's who are trying to make a living with these trucks and can't sleep at night wondering how to get the work done. Oh yea, I love the mechanic who claims that they have never seen that problem before-Bullsh@#!!!!!!!!!! Everytime I hear about a Ford, it's more bad news.

supercuts
01-27-2010, 01:34 PM
update, Ive been offered me a premier extened warranty. ive been told to refuse while the lemon law process is underway

back to my brakes, not covered under warranty. the dealer and ford customer service told me brakes are not covered. mine have been dragging since sept 09. since they have been fixed my mileage has gone up a bit. also, only my right front pads are shot and not the left. ford is telling me they do not cover normal wear and tear. he said its an envirornmental issue from salt. i did remind him this truck was bought with a snowplow to plow in snow and salt! he told me they do not cover corrosion so i asked about the 5 yr corrosion warranty on it and asked if it would be void for driving in the snow/salt

Marek
01-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Did the number I sent you work out ? You can buy oem ford parts and then replace them your self for a fraction of what the stealer wants .

mini14
01-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Have u all seen the new ford scorpion engine, :laugh:, pales in comparison to the 6.0:dizzy:, i think your going to have to pull the cab to change the oil. Their allready in use by some, the reports r that they r in for repair more then in use....urea injection is a good thing, no it wont leave u stranded if u run out youll be in limp mode till u refill, the urea injection will boost mpgs. 2012 calls for 0 emisions, cummins will have scr by then too.

supercuts
01-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Did the number I sent you work out ? You can buy oem ford parts and then replace them your self for a fraction of what the stealer wants .

i already had a case number with ford customer service so i didnt call a 2nd time. my guy was a liar. i would change the breaks myself, jsut dont think i should have to change them a 2yr old $45,000 truck w/30k miles because one side hung up which is not "normal wear". ive already called consumer protection/lemon law and they are still waiting for the answer on getting me a new truck. they also said if they dont, they will make sure my breaks are fixed.

orginally i told them if i could get a new truck id love to have a gas and they made it sound that i simply pay the MRSP difference but now i understand i need to basically take the same truck

WOULD YOU TAKE AN 2010 DIESEL OR V10 IF YOU HAD THE CHOICE? the more i think about it, the V10 will be a much cheaper mrsp and 5 years from now will be worth less. on the flip side i should have nearly as many problems that ive had with the diesel. first i need the choice, but now im not sure what to do. i could also take the diesel and trade it in a year or two with low miles on a gas truck for next to nothing then if the 2010 diesel doesnt work out

Marek
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
The last truck I bought was a V 10 450. 6 k cheaper up front about the same mpg a little less hp but still has plenty of balls, and not scared to keep it once its over the 100 k warranty. If the motor blows after a 100 k then I can put a new one in it for what ford gets to put a set of head gaskets on a 6.0. 6 Qts of oil vs 15 no more $60.00 air filters or high dollar fuel filters. I have put 12k on the v 10 truck and love it, when I ordered it I wasnt sure if I made the wright move but after hearing of all the 6.4 troubles and using the truck I know I made the wright choice. My dealership has one diesel tech who I have gotten to be good friends with, we always talk about all the problems with the new motors. Even when the rest of the shop is dead he has trucks lined up to work on. He said he is even going to dump his 450 6.4 before it hits a 100k. Ask the dealership how long that DPF is good for then ask how much for a new one. 2825.00 for a new DPF and 1208.00 of a new convertor. Ford is saying the dpf is only good for 100k. My next truck will probably be a crew cab lariet 350 w/ v10. There are alot of these motors out there with over 500k on them.

Evan528
01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I have been through the lemon law process with 2 different ford vehicles over the years. They will either offer to buy the truck back from you minus an adjustment for the miles you put on it or give you a cash offer for your troubles. Both Times I was offerd a cash settlement. I took the money and traded them in right after. From start to finish this ussually takes 8-10 months in my experience.

supercuts
01-28-2010, 05:20 PM
My next truck will probably be a crew cab lariet 350 w/ v10. There are alot of these motors out there with over 500k on them.

hurry up, the v10 is done this year, going to the 6.2L v8 gas as the only gas option.

TXNSLighting
01-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Wow, i thought you were wrong about the V10. But youre only half wrong. :laugh: Theyll still have them in the 450-550. Sad, but i cant wait for this 6.2!!

newtostone
01-29-2010, 04:03 AM
I would go for the V10 I joke with my friends that my next truck will be gas, for the millage gas vs diesel and costs of the diesel theres no reason for a diesel for basic lawn care as the newer v10's put off some major power.

supercuts
01-29-2010, 06:41 PM
I would go for the V10 I joke with my friends that my next truck will be gas, for the millage gas vs diesel and costs of the diesel theres no reason for a diesel for basic lawn care as the newer v10's put off some major power.

the reason i had been buying diesels was for longevity. i want my trucks to last 10-15 years. my 00' f350 has 160k miles. it runs like new. gas engines seem to need more work as they get older. the problem with the new diesel is... you could put 2 brand new gas engines in your truck for the price of the diesel option. the maintenance on the diesel is through the roof now, making it almost foolish to keep buying them. i wont even go into the mileage and the extra cost per gallon of fuel. so, until about 05' diesels were a smart move......as time goes on its seems its back to gas engines.

TXNSLighting
01-29-2010, 09:39 PM
the reason i had been buying diesels was for longevity. i want my trucks to last 10-15 years. my 00' f350 has 160k miles. it runs like new. gas engines seem to need more work as they get older. the problem with the new diesel is... you could put 2 brand new gas engines in your truck for the price of the diesel option. the maintenance on the diesel is through the roof now, making it almost foolish to keep buying them. i wont even go into the mileage and the extra cost per gallon of fuel. so, until about 05' diesels were a smart move......as time goes on its seems its back to gas engines.

You mean 07..All of them up to 07 were great, no emission crap, well no DPF...And reliable with good fuel economy!! funny thought..

supercuts
02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
latest update on my truck. i still have it and the battle continues. weeks ago ford offered to give me the "primer warranty". i had a 2 day deadline to except but since i was dealing with the CT DMV lemon law unit i declined the offer. well, after 3 weeks i finally heard that ford is conducting a formal investigation, mostly due to the horrible lack of documentation to all my problems. what ive learned is that if a dealer takes my truck in for a problem such as my turbo making noise, which i have, and they really cant figure it out but spend four hours looking at it they have 2 choices. if they submit a warranty claim for those four hours and i bring it back in for the same problem, they cant submit another claim. so they claim it and look into it fully with the chance of not finding anything, or they blow me off because its not clear whats wrong so they dont spend any time because they are not getting paid for it which is refusal of service and a violation of service.

hope this helps any of you with a 6.4L powerjoke engine. whats the 6.7L scorpion going to be like? even worse with my luck. and....if ford agrees with me i may end up with one.....

2005_Sierra
02-24-2010, 11:02 AM
if it was me i would get rid of this truck and go out and buy a 2007 Silverado/Sierra Classic, and get the LBZ Duramax/Allison. If you have your heart set on getting a new gas go with the newer Silverado/Sierra's with the 6.0 and 6 speed trans.

TXNSLighting
02-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I think the 6.7 powerstrokes going to be much better. But only time will tell. I think Ford has learned alot with what International did wrong with the 6.0 and 6.4. The 6.4 is definitely a improvemet over the 6.0, but still not there yet. However 80% of the people i talk to with the 6.4 loves em. So i dont know. Could be regional. Theyre very popular around here.

WHIPPLE5.7
02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Break away from the Ford thing man. Find a low miles 8.1L/Allison GM and trade that turd Ford off. An 8.1 with a custom tune($250), Cold air, and exhaust will murder any stock diesel. I thaught I needed a diesel and it was the most costly mistake on vehicles yet. I know guys with D'maxs, powerchokes, and cummins and they are all complaining about maintenance costs and little problems. Yes its true the internals of a diesel will last a long time, but everything outside the shortblock you still get the same problems as gas trucks. My Chevy gas 350 out works my Cummins on a day to day basis.

dggrass
02-26-2010, 10:41 AM
I have an 08 f350 crew cab with the 5.4 and love it. It has a hiniker 9' scoop plow and has no problems moving snow on any lot i plow. Mileage is around 8.5 MPG plowing and around 12 MPG just driving empty. Towing my 20k trailer with 8,000lbs on it i see 10.5 MPG. Yes a V10 will get the same MPG with a lot more power. This truck only has 8,000 miles. Make sure you get the up fitter switches to run extra light and what ever else you want. I run my Salt spreader off mine.

Gravel Rat
02-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Dealers don't want you to know about gasser trucks they want people sucked into buying diesel trucks.

supercuts
02-26-2010, 04:59 PM
latest drama, now my passenger rear brake caliper is froze just like the drivers was only a few weeks ago! my rotor is all pitted, there was more smoke coming from the wheel then the blue smoke from my exhaust. on a positive note, a ford rep is having all these problems fixed next week (under warranty im told) finally!! they will also be looking into my regen problems. by the way, the truck now has 31K miles. should a 2 year old truck with 31K miles had new injectors, fan clutch, radiator, continous smoke, poor mileage contant regen, blake smoke, and a list of other crap

lawn king
02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
The green industry will be in spring mode in just a few weeks. If you dont unload that $h!tbox, it will be an anchor dragging on you all season!

Marek
02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
We might try a GM soon . Had a 7.3 motor go with only 76 k on on it. Same truck Ford had spring of 08 for 68 days trying to get it to run right, they threw tons of parts at it , made me buy new fuel tank , fuel pump ect. when they were done it still had the rough idel . My tech kept on telling the engineer from ford it needed a new motor but they wouldnt do it. Truck ate 3 high pressure oil pumps. So now less than 20 k later we are putting a new motor in it. If Ford thinks the new 6.7 is all that then they should give you a 200k warranty on it from the get go. They should stand behind it and the emmision system. I know alot of Ford guys are jumping ship and tryin differrent brands.

westcoh
02-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Do yourself a favour and get rid of that truck. . .the sooner the better.

Gravel Rat
02-27-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't know what is causing your brakes to seize up it doesn't seem to be a problem with anybody with 08s around here. Many trucks are flawless the only problem is the 10 mpg :laugh:

Leave the truck in a high auto theft area and hope its stolen :drinkup:

I agree it is time to get rid of the truck it might be hard to get rid of at any Ford dealer they look up the records on it and they may not take it as a trade in.

supercuts
03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
So my truck has been in the shop for three days now. they have no idea whats wrong with it. i think it may have secretly been made by toyota. im so disgusted. im still talking to the dmv/lemonlaw/consumer protection. i recently had my 2nd caliper lock up which isnt covered under warrantty??? the first time they told me one front side pad was shot from hanging up and the driver side was fine but they needed to be replaced. its at another dealer now,they told me although they are not new, they are not bad and are worn evenly!! i cant win. luckily they are willing to put that in writing which contradticts the other dealer. ive been waiting almost 2 months to find out if i get a new truck.

Evan528
03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
The Lemon law lawyer will get you some kind of settlement but expect it to take 9-10 months in my experience.

supercuts
03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
about 5 minutes after my last post CT consumer protection/lemon law guy called. ford was asking what i wanted to resolve this. it looks like i may be getting a new truck but its bitter sweet and im still confused. under the lemon law, they are supposed to swap it for the same truck. and, so ive learned, that it is considered an "even swap" for up to 2 model year newer (up to a 2010) and anything after that is considered an upgrade. but any new truck may have lots of hidden fees........

johnnybravo8802
03-10-2010, 06:22 PM
about 5 minutes after my last post CT consumer protection/lemon law guy called. ford was asking what i wanted to resolve this. it looks like i may be getting a new truck but its bitter sweet and im still confused. under the lemon law, they are supposed to swap it for the same truck. and, so ive learned, that it is considered an "even swap" for up to 2 model year newer (up to a 2010) and anything after that is considered an upgrade. but any new truck may have lots of hidden fees........
You know, I've never come out of situations like this smelling like a rose with absolutely zero battle scars. You're going to lose something, if not a lot of time and sleep. I had a similar thing happen with a $13,000 Ferris I bought in 01'. You always lose money in some way. In the case of Ferris, I was made to look like the bad guy and I still live with it 9 yrs later.

supercuts
03-11-2010, 08:16 AM
your right....its bitter sweet. i just got a call that ford is now trying to find me a 2010 similar to mine. if they do i have to pay the difference of MSRP to the new truck which could be around $2500 and im sure ill have to pay to haev the plow swapped. a few things that scare me are the miles and body damage to the bed. if they hit me up for that it will cost me more then if i went to a dealer and tried to trade it in myself. its been 2 1/2 years of crap and being pissed off that i spend over $40k on a pos. if this all works out ill be happy with ford.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
good luck to you, hope everything works out and you dont lose too much on the deal.

ARP is very happy after ford gave him a new 2010 f450 after his 08 had alot of issues.

zmowingmaster
03-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi,
I bought an 08f250 with the 5.4L .it has 30k miles and so far zero problems.
NO LOSS of power while towing or pushing snow.I don't know why some guys keep on saying to get the V10.Yes more power,but this is a truck not a race car.
I worked at a dealership before.With all the problems you've had so far,either go to a differnt dealer for maintenance and repairs,no matter how nice the techs are., or check the lemon laws in your state.May be you have a truck that rolled off the assembley line on a Friday afternoon when everybody is rushing to meet the quotas and want to go home.I worked in assembly too,trust no matter how expensive and important the product is,there is lots of lazy a$$ people who don't care and just want to collect thier paycheck and go home.
My advice is,towards the end of this month Friday the 26th go online and locate three dealers who have the exact same truck that YOU want.
Sat the 27th wake up early go to all of them,.get a 1000.00 in cash in your pocket at each dealer put the money on the table while you are telling them that you are ready to make a deal NOW.trust me on this I sold cars and trucks for 3 years in a row.the differnce will go down from the 5k you were quoted to none.dealers slash deals after mid day meeting on SaturdaysOwners at that time ask how many cars sold,not how mush money made per car.because next Tuesday is auction day and they need the room on the lot
I bought mine the same way a 41K msrp for 28800 only.same thing when i went to a different dealer with my buddy to get hime a truck 42k msrp for 29500.
Remember,it is ford truck month when dealers buy trucks from ford for cheaper money.
Good Luck

SouthernDelight
03-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Get ya a new Duramax and be done with it.

Marek
08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
what was the out come of your 08 truck ?