PDA

View Full Version : Who tows a gooseneck? does it buck back and forth?

Ramairfreak98ss
01-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Am i doing something wrong? Is my extendable gooseneck tongue down too far and has too much play? Its a bulldog 20k 4" square coupler, its upgraded over the 12k one or whatever was standard.

The trailer is a down 2 earth 32' 14k with i think 8" channel beam and 10" channel beam up front and 8" behind the tires.

Its around 5200-5700lbs empty, "guessing".

When its empty it rides ok, but not much tongue weight for the bed of the dually F350.

When i put anything of weight on it, 5000lbs of salt on skids or tractor or 2 cars etc.... when i take off, you feel it jolt, like something is lose. I swore after i got it, i had to check the ball 9times because i thought it was lose.

When you hit the brakes, it bucks back and forth and almost feels uncontrollable. Ive tried NO trailer brakes, just truck brakes, seems like you feel the first jolt of the trailer flexing closer to the truck but then its smooth. With trailer brakes " a lot", if bucks harder but then evens out fast.

With normal braking on the trailer brakes, it bucks back and forth a lot, im assuming the flexing of the trailer stopping more or less than the truck brakes?

Its pulled by an 06 f350 diesel, built in brake ford controller like our other trucks.

I dont feel anything of this sort with any normal bumper pull trailers, does it need more reinforcement up front or something? Here are some pictures.
http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/617/2754932830036233031S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/31239/2976347890036233031S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/12176/2213239830036233031S600x600Q85.jpg

AdamChrap
01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure what is going on but I have never had a goose neck buck back and forth. Thats not how it should be. I would say it has to be in the mounting of the hitch to the truck. I can't think of anywhere else for there to be slack unless at the point where the ball and trailer meet if you don't have it latched. But that depends on what kind of latch you have.

Ramairfreak98ss
01-16-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure what is going on but I have never had a goose neck buck back and forth. Thats not how it should be. I would say it has to be in the mounting of the hitch to the truck. I can't think of anywhere else for there to be slack unless at the point where the ball and trailer meet if you don't have it latched. But that depends on what kind of latch you have.

Well i know exactly what your talking about. I know after i lower it onto the ball, i lock the "horseshoe" thing into place and lower the pin down to lock it with the handle. its stiff there, no slack.

The ball is also bolted to a 1.5" thick steel plate thats welded to both main frame rails, i was told by a hitch installer that although its not removeable, that its the strongest you can get because its going to bust the truck in half before it rips off the gooseneck ball holder receiver part ....

Ill get a closeup of the coupler part...

AdamChrap
01-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Then I am not sure what the problem would be. I'm don't agree with the hitch installer, welding to a truck frame is not the best idea. Avoid welding to hardened steal whenever you can. This is a case where extremely large grade 8 bolts should be used. What if it has nothing to do with the trailer but whit the weight. You said you don't notice it with a tag along trailer but you probably don't hit that 5k weight with that. Maybe a broken shock mount, spring mount, u-bolt on the axle or anything in the drive line that could have slack and be moved when loaded up with weight. Maybe even a transmission mount.

Ramairfreak98ss
01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Then I am not sure what the problem would be. I'm don't agree with the hitch installer, welding to a truck frame is not the best idea. Avoid welding to hardened steal whenever you can. This is a case where extremely large grade 8 bolts should be used. What if it has nothing to do with the trailer but whit the weight. You said you don't notice it with a tag along trailer but you probably don't hit that 5k weight with that. Maybe a broken shock mount, spring mount, u-bolt on the axle or anything in the drive line that could have slack and be moved when loaded up with weight. Maybe even a transmission mount.

well we pull 14k dump trailers and the enclosed trailer is usually 8-9k during the summer months, 12k limit. the 32' gooseneck is 14k but literally you can probably get 4-6k alone on the tongue on the weight in back of the truck.

I wish i could stand on the trailer and have someone drive it down the road to see if i see anything flexing or moving when hitting the brakes.

doubleedge
01-16-2010, 10:04 PM
well we pull 14k dump trailers and the enclosed trailer is usually 8-9k during the summer months, 12k limit. the 32' gooseneck is 14k but literally you can probably get 4-6k alone on the tongue on the weight in back of the truck.

I wish i could stand on the trailer and have someone drive it down the road to see if i see anything flexing or moving when hitting the brakes.

Find a country road and try it out. Don't go too fast, though.

flairland
01-17-2010, 12:25 AM
A friend of mine tows a 30' gooeseneck with tandem 10k axles and it does the same thing, even if you hit bumps while towing, it will really knock back and forth. He tows a 50D excavator on it with his 08 F250 diesel. I think its just the fact its such a heavy trailer for the truck, it did the exact same thing with my truck when I towed that trailer, but when I pull the 18' gooseneck, its fine, same with his truck.

fool32696
01-17-2010, 02:57 PM
I had a similar trailer for a few years and never had that issue. Have you been by your dealer?

AdamChrap
01-17-2010, 03:29 PM
We had a 24' that I pulled loaded with three different trucks and never had a problem like this.

Bigred350
01-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Do you think you have to much tongue weight when you have the trailer loaded. For example with your pic of the mustang. Have you tryed putting your load more over the axles to keep more weight on the trailer axles instead of on the truck.

Junior M
01-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Do you think you have to much tongue weight when you have the trailer loaded. For example with your pic of the mustang. Have you tryed putting your load more over the axles to keep more weight on the trailer axles instead of on the truck.
Its a gooseneck though, that really shouldnt effect it..

I'd take a look at the axles and hangers on the trailer. Sounds like something is moving around causing the trailer to buck like that?

Ramairfreak98ss
01-18-2010, 11:53 AM

yes and no, but theoretically you should be able to take the 14k the trailer axles hold, add tongue weight of well lets just say a dually f350 like in the pictures could easily handle 5-6k on the tongue.. your close to 20k loaded "correctly".

I can pull our 09 deere tractor all the way to the front, which is roughly 7500lbs, and the truck isnt straining with the weight. I guess i never tried towing down the road with the 7500lb tractor all the way to the front or all the way dead center on top of the axles...

Ramairfreak98ss
01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Its a gooseneck though, that really shouldnt effect it..

I'd take a look at the axles and hangers on the trailer. Sounds like something is moving around causing the trailer to buck like that?

ok, will do. I assumed that too, no matter where the weight is, especially when i take the trailer brakes out of the equation "off", it should feel like part of the truck, not like towing a 5500lb pissed off rattlesnake down the road :p

stroker51
01-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I've got a 22' low boy style gooseneck like that, and empty it does pull kind of rough, I feel it a lot more on my F250 super cab long bed than I do on my 250 Crew Cab short bed for some reason. Load it up though and it's not bad. Every gooseneck I have ever pulled has definately felt rougher towing than a bumper pull, but not enough to really complain about in the way yours sounds. Good luck.

Junior M
01-19-2010, 12:08 AM
A gooseneck will tow rougher and feel rougher because think about it, your actually pulling right in the middle of the frame. So your goin to feel the twists and jerks alot more..

And Ramair, thats just freakin puzzling to me. I've got no idea why its doing that. I'd go to a trailer place and see what they say..

bobcat_ron
01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
My GN doesn't buck, only jerks when I take off, and that's from the slack between the king pin and jaw.
You might have a bad hitch set up.

Ramairfreak98ss
01-20-2010, 06:09 PM
A gooseneck will tow rougher and feel rougher because think about it, your actually pulling right in the middle of the frame. So your goin to feel the twists and jerks alot more..

And Ramair, thats just freakin puzzling to me. I've got no idea why its doing that. I'd go to a trailer place and see what they say..

Well the coupler 20k bulldog on the trailer says 2" and 5/16" ball, darned sure thats whats on the truck, because i got a special "black forged $50" 20k ball.

Unless the bulldog coupler is too big inside or are there balls bigger than this? haha

How many of your gooseneck couplers are adjustible like this one?
http://www.trailerparts4u.com/product/19-156
That would be awesome just to drop the thing down to hook up and go, ours you have to loser it by lowering the trailer onto the truck, pita.

ok sorry, its a 25k square Bulldog gooseneck coupler.. its ONLY adjustable by loosening the bolt, sliding it up and then re tightening it down... ours IS extend out quite a bit, but nothing more than other pictures ive seen online.

see picture on right side if its possible, the rusty part is where the factory had it when picked up, it was at least 8-10" away "higher" than the ball in the dually 4x4 06 f350 when we picked it up.

The problem arises from the jackstand, if i have it any more into the coupler than this, the jacktand woudl be way too close to the ground fully raised up. I "THINK" they should have put the jackstand, welded up higher on the frame than it is, it would eliminate the jacking issues.