PDA

View Full Version : Winter Kill on Bermuda

ArTurf
01-16-2010, 01:34 PM
The local golf course super is worried that the Bermuda greens may have been damaged due to an unusually cold winter. He watered and froze them over during the coldest periods. Is there any way you can tell if damage was done now or do you just have to wait and see? Anyone with similar past experiences. I know this would be better posted on a golf course forum but I don't have access to them.

RigglePLC
01-16-2010, 09:01 PM
From Michigan...but try what was suggested by another poster last week here. Dig up a sample or cup cutter sample and bring it inside in a warm bright window. Plant it in flower pot. It should green up in about 2 weeks. Perhaps compare it with a sample from a more protected area--if any.

Smallaxe
01-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Frost damage occurs when the water inside the cells of plants, turn to ice and rupture the cell walls. Dormant grass has no water above ground to speak of so the only exposed part of the plant may be the crown.

Still, Bermuda should green up from the rhizomes underground.

Did the ground freeze down there?

ArTurf
01-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Yes, the ground did freeze for several days. Very unusual down here.

Smallaxe
01-18-2010, 07:54 AM
That will be an interestting spring for you guys, answering the age old question, is Bermuda, hardy at all?
How far North does that stuff grow?

Did you do Riggle's experiment? or is 'Springtime' coming soon for you guys?

ArTurf
01-18-2010, 11:14 AM
From what I read bermuda can be grown as far north as Oklahoma, Arkansas & Tennessee. I will be doing the experiment in the days to come. I think bermuda is hardy in a hot sense not cold. Hence the term southern grass.

Turfdoctor1
01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
ArTurf,

I posted a link in the weed control forum a couple weeks back, addressing my concerns about the possibility of winter kill. My concerns are more from a herbicide standpoint.

Regardless, I do believe we are going to see a good bit of winter injury.

Regardless of all the advice our northern friends try to give, if the crown of the Bermuda plant is dead, it's dead. Yes, it may recover eventually from underground material, but we are talking about months down the road.

And, unlike what smallaxe assumes in his post, the crowns do stay green (relatively speaking) during the winter.

I do think this is a wait and see, but my former advisor, mentor at the U of A is urging me to be prepared for some pretty severe injury. This would mainly be in shady, north facing areas, weak turf, closely mown, etc.

Obviously, golf course conditions warrant more concern, but I will be preparing a letter for my customers to serve as a warning of the possibiltiy of seeing injury.

PM me if you want to talk about more specific questions that we both might have.

Smallaxe
01-18-2010, 07:32 PM
From what I read bermuda can be grown as far north as Oklahoma, Arkansas & Tennessee. I will be doing the experiment in the days to come. I think bermuda is hardy in a hot sense not cold. Hence the term southern grass.

It would be interestting to hear the results of that. Plz post your findings. :)

How many hours below freezing, did your turf endure?

Turfdoctor1
01-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Thought this might be interested for you to read, ArTurf:

http://turf.uark.edu/turfhelp/archives/011810%20winter2010.html

http://turf.uark.edu/turfhelp/archives/012210%20winter2010.html

This is part 1 and part 2 of a 4 part article on winterkill by Dr. Aaron Patton of the university of Arkansas.

ArTurf
01-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Update: Plugs were pulled from all the greens last week and put in a make shift greenhouse, after approx 5 days all but 2 are greening up. Those 2 have been slow to green up in past years.

Smallaxe: We had about 3-5 days with below freezing weather with lows in the single digits. Not typical of this area.

Turfdoctor: I have seen the U of A info, but thanks for the info. Looks like I need to warn my St Augustine customers.

Barefoot James
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
SAG greens - did not know that was even possiable?? Thought those greens were reg bermuda?

ArTurf
01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
SAG greens - did not know that was even possible?? Thought those greens were reg bermuda?

The greens are bermuda. I was referring to the article from the U of A which discussed all grass types with St Aug receiving the most damage.