PDA

View Full Version : Open VS. Enclosed Trailers

mcw615
01-16-2010, 02:29 PM
What are your opinions on the Pro's and Con's of each.

In the next year I would like to switch to 18-20' enclosed trailers. Larger advertisement, beats loading/unloading equipment everyday - plus figure how much you spend in a year in labor for employees to do so, More easy storage such as for tools and carry frequent spare parts, equipment is more protected from theft while at large properties, if someone hits you or you wreck and trailer flips and your mowers are not properly secured, you don't have to face a law suit of a mower going airborne.

The main reason I am thinking of switching is because better advertisement, and beats loading unloading everyday.

Only downside I can think of is having to fork out the extra $2,000-$3000 for the trailer, and your truck gets less fuel mileage pulling it, and pulling out the mowers at the gas station to fill them up.

I think it is worth it, figure you spend AT LEAST $10 or so a day per truck paying your employees to load/unload and hoping they didn't forget to load the spool of trimmer cord. I'm all for enclosed trailers so far..

Maple Wood
01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
I run enclosed trailers and love it. I would not want to go to all open trailers. As far as fueling the mowers, i've got a 100 gallon transfer tank in the truck. All I do is fuel up at the first job of the day. I let the mower idle while I fill up so engine is warmed up and ready to go.

albhb3
01-16-2010, 03:46 PM
thats what fuel doors are for... you do know you should strap them even in an enclosed things shift. Im sure if you get in a wreck because your load shifts someones coming after you if they get injured

vanncann
01-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Fuel mileage is'nt that much different from my open and enclosed. Storage is great and secure, according to you and your employees. I use sign post to keep mowers from moving. Never had a problem as long as the e-brake is engaged.

Frontier-Lawn
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
what i would like is a combo enclosed with a hydraulic dump open part in the front.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165564&stc=1&d=1256562040

mcw615
01-16-2010, 04:12 PM
That looks awesome...
what i would like is a combo enclosed with a hydraulic dump open part in the front.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165564&stc=1&d=1256562040

Kutz Lawns
01-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Never had a open trailer and never would either, enclosed van is nice too!

Good Luck All!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1118506/KZSJQ-065.JPG

slamjamrockinman
01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Yup I'm looking at upgrading nest season also. .y main reason is I have very little storage space.
Posted via Mobile Device

TennisBum
01-16-2010, 10:07 PM
It's a bit of a trade off. With an enclosed trailer (or truck) you have to go inside each time you retrieve a piece of equipment, and again when you replace it. With an open trailer you just walk over and pick it up off the rack. Also, it can be a bit cramped. You will be breathing exhaust fumes when you start your mower.
The flip side is you don't have to store your trailer in a garage. Also, I think theft is considerably less likely. I personally believe that the enclosed trailer or truck presents a more professional image and separates you a bit from the pack.

mcw615
01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
I have two 10'x40' cargo storage containers we park all of our equipment so I know what you mean with inhaling exhaust fumes, especially when its 35 degrees early in the morning and you have to let the mower(s) warm up a min or two - we just tuck our face in our shirt.
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
01-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I am seriously considering an enclosed trailer this year, but I cannot back a trailer up using my mirrors only, have to look back to steer it, and with an enclosed, you have to use your mirrors, but I guess its easy to get used to, as I learned to back an open trailer pretty quickly.

overtime mp
01-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Backing is easy.I still can't back a single axle enclosed though well tandem axle is much easier. I am going with enclosed this year also. I am tired up unloading everything every day. Then if I happen to forget something. Not this year any way my garage will be more clean. And won't have to get a storage unit in winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
01-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah, backing a single axle open trailer is kinda hard too, harder than any tandem that is, but a tandem has a tendency to stay in the direction you are trying to go much better, but any single axle will go all over the place. But like anything, given time, anyone can get good at backing any trailer. I still do not know how those semi truck drivers can back their trailers up to a dock door and hit it the first time usually?! I would be hitting everything but the door, especially with a 5th wheel set up!