PDA

View Full Version : Things that make work easier and better

brucec32
01-16-2010, 05:36 PM
List any tools, devices, etc that make your work day go easier and just more pleasant in general, from electrical gadgets to work machines. I came up with:

The edgit for string trimmers
XM/Sirius radio

JosephLawnCare
01-16-2010, 06:03 PM
A/c in the truck. And the yellow work tunes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
01-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I got nothin. I don't even turn the radio on in the truck let alone wear wear buds or anything like that. I do use some cheap foam plugs though. I've customized most of my equipment but it would take a whole thead just to outline it all.

MikeKle
01-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Basically cutting down on the amount of trimming you have to do is the best way, this is what chews up so much of my time, so I try to get to as much as I can with the mowers first. If only the customers didnt want us to trim, just mow, blow and go, and we would be outta there in 20-25 minutes!

lsylvain
01-16-2010, 09:44 PM
List any tools, devices, etc that make your work day go easier and just more pleasant in general, from electrical gadgets to work machines. I came up with:

XM/Sirius radio

This is so funny I just got on here specifically for this question figuring I would have to start a new thread. I'm going back to Solo and thinning out my accounts. But I'm planning on keeping a ton so I need every trick in the book to speed things up.

MikeKle
01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Another good thing to do is keep the routes tight, and if you have to get rid of customers that are kinda out of route, its hard to do , but if your driving out of your way to service one person, thats not worth it, or try to pick up a few of their neighbors?

Az Gardener
01-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I like my employees :) I couldn't get anything done without them.

DLAWNS
01-16-2010, 11:27 PM

XM/Sirius radio

I would like to name a few....
Exmark Navigator
Truck loader
XM/Sirius radio
GPS Unit
and as much as I hate the thing....my blackberry

grassman177
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
i would have to say truthfully, keeping the best machines and make darn sure the run at optimum.

that and the ability to tune out working and just have fun!!!

STIHL GUY
01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
my 48'' WB is such a relief to use over the old way (21'')

music also helps

albhb3
01-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Get a awesome inhearitence or find oil on your prop:clapping:

clean_cut
01-17-2010, 12:54 AM

XM/Sirius radio

Parent's to drive me everywhere! ;) I wouldn't call them a 'tool' though, they may not like that too much. Maybe a new walk behind though, it has helped with many things from mowing grass to pulling tarps.

How does your edge-it work, I checked out their website (http://www.edgit.com), and it looks pretty cool, if it actually works like they say it does.

johnslandscaping
01-17-2010, 01:36 PM
dump inserts.. save so much time and back breaking work. From clippings/brush/mulch/topsoil/stone/salt/sand/trash/etc. Now just hit the button and dump.

Valk
01-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Up-to-date radar on my not-so-smartphone.
Quality footwear. For me, Vasque hikers for varied terrain.
(...workboots are for riding a Z & digging holes - not traversing...imho)
Performance materials to keep me cool...from hat, to T's, to undies, down to socks.
No radio or A/C...& just foam earplugs. I'm cerebral and don't want distractions or a radical change in my environment.

Having a great relationship with my customers is a big key. Nothing worse than working for someone I can't stand the sight of.

Most of all, I love mowing.

tjlco
01-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I like my employees :) I couldn't get anything done without them.

plus one for that

Chilehead
01-17-2010, 03:18 PM
When I'm mowing, a tight route density is awesome. I love it when I pull up, drop the gate, and knock out 8 houses all right next to each other before traveling only one block to do the same thing again. Those days I'm averaging $75-$80 an hour. Love it!

slamjamrockinman
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
My blackberry is a huge help. I also love my jungle wheels, I have gotten to the point where it feels awkward to not use them, eveb if the yard has a bad slope or is small. Gatorade and powerade is a big help in the summer time too.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLAWNS
01-17-2010, 10:34 PM
dump inserts.. save so much time and back breaking work. From clippings/brush/mulch/topsoil/stone/salt/sand/trash/etc. Now just hit the button and dump.

I want to add this one to my list!:)

LouisianaLawnboy
01-18-2010, 01:54 AM
ZTR over walk behinds.

Couldn't imagine working in this industry without a GPS.

corey4671
01-18-2010, 02:16 AM
GPS is a must. Customers call me up and start trying to give me directions on the phone. I just have to stop them and say...just give me the address...that's all I need.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-18-2010, 02:27 AM
GPS is a must. Customers call me up and start trying to give me directions on the phone. I just have to stop them and say...just give me the address...that's all I need.

I hate those persistent ones though, I've told them 5 times, "I have a GPS all I need is your address.", but Oh no I must hear how take that left by the red bard and go down aways and you will see a trash can and I'm the fourth house on the left after you seeing a grandma staring at you in a pink bathrobe.

Cummins343
01-18-2010, 02:37 AM
my iTouch and my Standers

lazyike
01-18-2010, 04:22 AM
All I need is Vicodin for the pain and Paxil to keep me happy. With this combo you dont need, care, or think of anything else.... You just need to remember to keep breathing lol.....

MikeKle
01-18-2010, 10:24 AM
All I need is Vicodin for the pain and Paxil to keep me happy. With this combo you dont need, care, or think of anything else.... You just need to remember to keep breathing lol.....

HA HA HA, for me it is Methadone, and I can mow grass til 10 pm at night without feeling any pain or soreness!! The only drawback, you will get thirsty very often and go thru lots of water.

freshprince94
01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
I'd have to say my Velke and my iPhone. I love being able to ride rather than walk, huge productivity booster. Still not as good as a Z though. And my iPhone is just cool.

tinman
01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
MP3 player of any kind.
Iphone to listen to pandora while mowing but I wouldn't abuse an iphone like that in dusty conditions

tinman
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Oh ,.... good podcasts or audio books to listen and learn while working.

Roger
01-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Things that make things go better and quicker: simple answer is machines that run well.

I see many of you mention electronic devices, iPhone, Blackberry, iTouch, etc. Are you using the phone devices for making many calls in the field? If not, how are you using them? I just got an iTouch, deciding to split my phone and data functions (use small flip phone to carry in my pocket). How are the iPhone (data functions) and iTouch users making use of these devices?

I have used a Palm, but it is getting tired (battery life). The iTouch is to replace. My primary intended uses: Scheduler (need to find an app -- any suggestions are welcome), downloading of QB invoices, calendering, contacts, photo ablum, weather maps when in wi-fi range. What else should I be expecting from an iTouch? BTW, I have no interest in the audio functions (e.g. audio books, music, podcasts) for the iTouch - at least when working. I can't be bothered with fiddling with things that take away productivity.

slamjamrockinman
01-18-2010, 11:01 PM
I'll chime in on this because I was pleasently surprised. I am not a technology guy, but it seems everyone has all these gadgets these days and cell phones are turning into computers that are mobile. My buddy's dad offered to sell me a blackberry for $40, after using just the simplest of phones my whole life, I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a try. I got the data plan with it so I can get internet anywhere I get cell reception. WOW, is all I can say, I had no idea how powerful these devices are these days. I was very impressed by the countless apps and programs. They are pretty accurate when they say there is an app for just about everything. I use it all the time now, especially when plowing. A few examples of how usefull these are,
- A new time customer calls and wants their driveway done, I just punch the adress right in to the map function and I am set.
-Plus I can add all customers and dealers right into the address book, no more business cards.
-The weather.com app is very helpfull for watching the storm.
-I use the memo pad to record work done, but I know there is an app that hooks up
with quickbooks.
-THese are just a few examples, The list goes on and on.
I am not a sales rep for blackberry or anything, but I got to admit, these things are slick. I am sure Iphones and other devices similar are very helpfull for a business owner too. I am horribly disorganized, but this thing helps me stay organized, no more notes scribbled all over, business cards everywhere, losing pieces of paper with peoples number. If you don't have one, I would consider it, they make the work day go so much smoother and more organized. Just my .02.
-Peter

brucec32
01-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Interesting replies, but still nothing I either don't use already or would not find all that useful.

- Employees. I want to make life better, not have a stress induced breakdown, all the while gaining 30 lbs from inactivity! Seriously, I know you need them if you want to have a larger business, but I wouldn't say it's easy or life-improving! Maybe 20 years ago it was.

- iphones, etc. Thankfully I'm not so busy or turning over customers so frequently that I need to be in-touch via the web while in the field. A cheap cell phone is fine for taking and making calls that come in. I also don't need to invoice from the truck, though I think it's cool. I'd break it, anyway. I'm ok with writing customer info on a quote form and taking a business card in the field, then I transfer customer data to the pc. I have 3 desktops, a netbook, and two notebook pcs, but the handheld computer concept has not caught on with me. Email while on the road could be nice, but for me its not necessary. I would never take a $400-$800 device and listen to music on it while mowing, so that function is out as well. The $25 one does fine. I'm never sitting bored long enough to need any of the apps. A check of the weather forecast before I leave is sufficient 99% of the time, and I can always call someone sitting at a PC and ask what the radar looks like if I need to. I prefer keeping the $80/month or whatever data service costs in my pocket. Btw, the value of $80/month for the next decade is about $10,000. I'd rather have a new mower.

- GPS. Use them all the time for road trips and going to new places in the city. But for work I only need it the first time I visit a property at most. Even then, most of my new customers are referrals and are already on steets I know. So it usually stays home for sure after springtime. For day to day routing the Mk 1 brain does a better job I've found.

Anyone have any ideas on staying cooler or other comfort related tips?

Valk
01-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Quality footwear. For me, Vasque hikers for varied terrain. - I use the one's with Goretex XCR -> Xtreme Comfort Range -> water proof/resistant and breathes in the Summer heat
(...workboots are for riding a Z & digging holes - not traversing...imho)

Performance clothing/materials to keep me cool...from hat - that covers my neck & ears, to T's, to undies, down to socks. You can spend the money on name-brand Under Armour, or get an off brand at Target/Walmart. They work!

I added a few comments to my earlier post.

LR3
01-24-2010, 04:01 AM
The iPhone! Is every device listed, but better. There are are over 100k apps. Around 30 of which I use directly for my business. I second Valk. Great, true answer.
Posted via Mobile Device

WildassBaughb
01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
I would have to say, my brain saves me the most time using Irish Engineering.

Roger
01-25-2010, 10:00 PM
LR3, do you have a task scheduler app? I just got an iTouch, and will run the same apps as the iPhone. I want to do my business work with a task scheduler. The calender is the reverse of what I want -- it gives me the date. Rather I want the task, with the date dependent on the task. I've searched the app store and found a couple, but wonder if anybody has some experience with one that could give positive/negative feedback. Thanks.

Ooomwizard
01-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Good route making software on home computer. Edgit trimmer guards. Perfectly running equipment.

jsf343
01-26-2010, 02:37 AM
LR3, do you have a task scheduler app? I just got an iTouch, and will run the same apps as the iPhone. I want to do my business work with a task scheduler. The calender is the reverse of what I want -- it gives me the date. Rather I want the task, with the date dependent on the task. I've searched the app store and found a couple, but wonder if anybody has some experience with one that could give positive/negative feedback. Thanks.

Hmmmm... I am curious on this one too.

pitrack
01-26-2010, 02:39 AM
Music, always nice to get that extra boost of energy when that good song comes on.

AOD
01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Digital WorkTunes with MP3 input + MP3 player loaded with death metal.

Being your own boss and being able to take a small break on a hot day whenever you want.

torotorotoro
01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
a small air tank,a can of fix a flat ,tire plug repair kit, green touch extreem trimmer rack,side ramp gate,22 ft trailer, garman 255w gps (never try a tom tom they are the worst) , toro g3.

Dano50
01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Being a completely impartial observer :rolleyes:, I'd have to interject and say that Fluid Film (http://www.fluid-film.com) could make your work easier and better.

Just my 2 cents. :waving:

twcw5804
01-26-2010, 02:58 PM
With my full time job being for Verizon Wireless I will add my Blackberry Storm. I get a crazy plan to help with my lawn care. I get something crazy like 1500min for $10 and half off data services. So my BB is only $15 month and I add on the Rhapsody unlimited music for $7.50. I just take some stereo earbuds and pop them under some $20 Stihl ear muffs and jam away. When the phone rings then I can hear it too, it interrupts the song.

I only mow around 20 yards and I can say going from a 36' walkbehind to a 56' ZTR was insane for time. There was days I told the wife to stay home and not help me! Saved me on lots of bathroom and lunch breaks.

twcw5804
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
I will also add for people that use their Blackberry for lawncare, go out and buy a Otterbox if you don't have one already. It does not make them water resistant but gives them shock and dust resistant. I have one for my storm and I love it.

LR3
01-26-2010, 06:53 PM

I haven't tried a task scheduler yet, but you may want to check the bill scheduler, you can edit as you please and instead of plugging in bill info you can replace it with schedule info. A little improvising.
Posted via Mobile Device

Millers Lawn Care
01-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Good route making software on home computer. Edgit trimmer guards. Perfectly running equipment.

What route making software is good to use?? I love my truck unloader from Northern to unload grass at the end of the day rather then fork it off, plus I can have a regular bed in a matter of seconds if I need it for something else.

STL Cuts
01-27-2010, 01:20 AM

I second this. My Garmin is a life saver!

khutch
04-14-2010, 10:13 AM
I love the Edgit - I think most people won't get it until they try it - I have NEVER seen anyone in Atlanta with one, and this is a huge market. Wish it was about 10 bucks cheaper, but if more people bought them, price would come down.

Love the ProSlide, same thing as Edgit. NEVER see anyone with one, and ditto the price.

I have an iPod with headphone speakers stuck inside a Husky closed ear protector. Cuts off almost all the outside noise, almost too well. Music and podcasts all day, it's GREAT!

RodneyK
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Valk: are these the shoes you are talking about or are they more like boots or mid-cuts?

http://www.amazon.com/VASQUE-VELOCITY-TRAIL-RUNNER-SHOES/dp/B000FAMPL2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1271253328&sr=8-13

93Chevy
04-14-2010, 12:00 PM
A good pair of non-insulated gore-tex work boots, dickies pants, fluid film, my new 48" WB, wooden sides for my truck, fluid film, my 48" WB, and fluid film.