PDA

View Full Version : New Hydro walk behinds

yaharacer29
01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
How's it going? I am new to the business, this coming season will be my second year. I am going to upgrade my equipment during the offseason and need some advice from experienced people in the business. I started last year with my Papaw's 1971 Lawnboy push mower and some Stihl edgers and trimmers. Now I need to make the move and invest in something much larger. I am looking at hydro walk behind mowers. The new Scag Pro-V hydros are really nice, but a 52" is around the $6800 range. Also, I have seen that the Exmark hydro has come out with a ECS steering technology to compete with Scag's Pro-V. What are you guys using and should I invest in a new one or see if I can find a Hydro, floating deck pre-owned somewhere with a low mileage on it. I know the new ones come with a 3 year limited warranty. I appreciate your advice and good luck to all in the upcoming season.

slamjamrockinman
01-16-2010, 06:02 PM
I buy everything bigger than handheds used so your going to get a biased opinion but look for a good deal on a used one. Scan craigslist and the classifieds here right now. Prices will go up in the spring. Look for a used exmark, scag, or toro. Just make sure it has a turbo force if it's thr toro.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lazy Lightnin
01-16-2010, 07:31 PM
New (apples to apples) Scag's a better cutting machine. Not having to look back's always a plus:)

MikeKle
01-16-2010, 08:50 PM
You have been out of it for awhile if the ECS is new to you!! I personally hate the ECS handles, as after using them for over an hour or so, my thumbs get numb, But many guys love the ECS on here, Ive only heard from about 2 other people that have the issue I do. I would like to try to new Hustler WBs, their controls look very comfortable, almost like motorcycle controls.

rcslawncare
01-16-2010, 10:50 PM
You not interested in a regular ZTR?

hornett22
01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
feels awkward on hills.

i don't care for the new Scag proV and they seem to hard for the dealers to move around here.

good old pistol grips work fine for me.i can go all day with them.

rcslawncare
01-16-2010, 11:16 PM
For sure, just wondering. I was gonna say the grandstands are nice to ride and walk when you need to. The Exmark version is out this year too I believe.

clean_cut
01-16-2010, 11:40 PM
I would defiantly look for used (but that's just me), but why not buy a used ZTR or Stand-On? If you have the money, maybe you could buy a used Stand-On and a used 36" walk behind or something, instead of two new walk behinds. Check Craigslist/Lawsite for sale section, and shop around before you make a decision. Also, try to base you decision on dealer support rather than brand opinions of others, its sort of like... which is better Ford of Chevy.

Hope I could help.

God Bless you and all of those involved in the Earthquakes in Hadi (Hope you guys are praying for them) :angel:

yaharacer29
01-17-2010, 12:21 AM
I am planning on moving to the piedmont of North Carolina, which is a foothills area of the state. This was my primary issue for possibly purchasing a walk behind for versatility and to be able to control it better. But what do yall think? Can a ZTR rider do the job? Also, "clean cut" brings up a good point. What about standups vs walk behinds with a sulky? Is there that big of a difference? Possibly the wb's are more versatile. I don't know. I appreciate yall's replies.

ToroLandscaper
01-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Every walk behind around here is an Exmark, for a good reason.

I swear by the Turf Tracers and do not think you can beat them. I have owned a couple of them.

The ECS is AWESOME after you get used to them. Initially I did not like them, but after a few days I loved them and REFUSE to own any other walk behind besides Turf Tracers. They are the best built mower you can get.

I bought a Scag 52" "Ultimate" walk behind with the pistol grips(hydro, floating deck, etc) a couple of months ago and literally sold it two week after I bought it.

As for the the new Pro V controls, I have no experience with them. But I do not think that you can beat a Turf Tracer.

Just my experience.

hornett22
01-17-2010, 07:17 AM
it's all personal preference as far as the controls,the color,the cut etc.

i will say this,i can mow residential yards faster and do less turf damage on a Hydro walk behind with a stand on sulky than you can with a ZTR.if i have a steep hill,i just pull the pin.

i second looking for used.there are a lot of deals out right now on stuff that is not that old and/or in good shape.why take the hit buying new?

i always buy used and have been fine.i use the theory,if it looks good on the outside,it probably ok. if it looks like hell walk away. never buy sight unseen.

GPDesign1
01-17-2010, 08:51 AM
I am planning on moving to the piedmont of North Carolina...

Yaha- We're based in Winston-Salem North Carolina and may have just what you're looking for. Give us a ring when you're in the area and stop-by for a demo.

lifetree
01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
... good old pistol grips work fine for me. i can go all day with them.

Aren't your forearms hurting by the end of the day from having to maintain a grip on the them all day ??

lifetree
01-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I am planning on moving to the piedmont of North Carolina, which is a foothills area of the state. This was my primary issue for possibly purchasing a walk behind for versatility and to be able to control it better. But what do yall think ? ...

Yaha- We're based in Winston-Salem North Carolina and may have just what you're looking for. Give us a ring when you're in the area and stop-by for a demo.

Yaha -- I agree with you ... a WB would be better suited for the application you described !! Also, Gary is right, I recommend a Quick 36" Samurai Dually, you won't regret it.

MikeKle
01-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Finally, someone else that doesnt like the ECS controls!!! I love the old pistol grips on my older exmarks, and my new ferris, but they will probably keep the ECS around for awhile.

lifetree
01-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Finally, someone else that doesnt like the ECS controls !!! ...

I had a 36" Exmark WB with ECS controls and hated it ... trust me, you're not alone !!

hornett22
01-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Aren't your forearms hurting by the end of the day from having to maintain a grip on the them all day ??

i have fore arms like Popeye,

those damn ECS controls kill my hands.i can use them for 15 minutes and my hands feel like they are asleep and they ache.i can mow all day with the Scag pistol grips and i'm fine.

it might just be me but you can keep that ECS garbage.

hornett22
01-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Finally, someone else that doesnt like the ECS controls!!! I love the old pistol grips on my older exmarks, and my new ferris, but they will probably keep the ECS around for awhile.

my dealer says he can replace the ECS with pistol grips. i don't like the small discharge opening and the clumps and windrows from the Exmarks.I also don't like their dinky Hydro fluid resevoir.

Thank goodness for Scag!

hornett22
01-20-2010, 12:37 AM

isn't going over well here.they are dropping the prices here a lot on them.

topsites
01-20-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm in my 8th year using Toro belt drives, T-bar control.

Every single invention they have tried every which way with hydraulics and electronics
and fancy thumb twiddling to work it out so that it would be as smooth as a T-bar...
Turns out to be expensive and pure, absolutely perfect and unadulterated garbage!
Horse manure that is, bull crap, and nonsense.

Nothing works like a T-bar, no fancy hydraulics to give out, no expensive liquid leaks upon
someone's aggregate driveway, and last but not least they're not cheap but they ain't no 7g.

MikeKle
01-20-2010, 01:12 AM
my dealer says he can replace the ECS with pistol grips. i don't like the small discharge opening and the clumps and windrows from the Exmarks.I also don't like their dinky Hydro fluid resevoir.

Thank goodness for Scag!

Yeah, they can be converted back to the old pistol grips, but the cost is pretty high, I had a guy that wanted my ECS and was going to trade me for his pistol grips, but my dealer said his controls would not fit my newer mower easily and would cost a lot to modify it to fit. So I just deal with it now, and use my Ferris DD as much as possible.

hornett22
01-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm in my 8th year using Toro belt drives, T-bar control.

Every single invention they have tried every which way with hydraulics and electronics
and fancy thumb twiddling to work it out so that it would be as smooth as a T-bar...
Turns out to be expensive and pure, absolutely perfect and unadulterated garbage!
Horse manure that is, bull crap, and nonsense.

Nothing works like a T-bar, no fancy hydraulics to give out, no expensive liquid leaks upon
someone's aggregate driveway, and last but not least they're not cheap but they ain't no 7g.

i tried it.if it' so great,why no one use it? i never see them.

i just sold a 1992 Scag Hydro walkbehind and it didn't leak a drop from the hydros.original hoses ,pumps and wheel motors.not a drop.all bone dry.

2 clowns mowing
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM
best walk behind /rider is the rich mfg convertible mower. ride and when u get to a hill or ditch get off and the handle bars fold back which turns it into a walk behind. i fitted it with a pro-slide sulky. fast mowing and 2 mowers in one. u can also get the mulching deck and mow down anything it will drive over. can also be bought at dr power.com they have extended warranty for up to 4 years