PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat ZTR or Grasshopper 700series input please?

CBlandscaping
01-16-2010, 07:48 PM
I want to add another mower for this season and am looking into the bobcat and grasshopper lines. I mow alot of wide open areas and bag clippings 90% of the time so a good collection system is important. I went to my dealer the other day and priced out a Bobcat predator pro 61in w/ kawi 37hp motor and bagger, and a grasshoper front mount 729T 61in w/kubota liquid cooled gas 29hp motor and 25cuft hopper.
I know these are both two very differnt machines and honestly do not have experience with either of them I dont know if the predator is more machine then I really need it just happened to be what was sitting on the showroom floor, it looks built like a tank and i really like the kawi engine(I have the KAI in my lazer) The grasshopper has a larger capacity bagger which would be helpful on my 14acre account that requires being bagged, and I like that i can put a power broom or possibly a snowblower on the front to make the machine versatile and profitable year round (thats why i quoted the liquid cooled kubota so i could add a heated cab for winter)
I guess im just looking for some input on what you guys would choose, or any positive or negative experiences with either machine. Oh and the grasshopper would only cost $1500 more than the predator. Thanks in advance

mowerbrad
01-16-2010, 08:14 PM
I will say that the bob-cats are built pretty tough and are actually priced well too. My bob-cat that I'm selling is 5 years old and still in pretty good shape, it'd be better if it had a better engine on it, but its still runs strong. But everything has held up on it really well. The bagging system on it is top notch though, after initial installation you can take it all off within about 1 minute. The bagging system collects very well and is very low profile which makes for better visability and better ability to go under low hanging objects.

I don't know much about the grasshoppers, but I do hear pretty good things about them. Now, you said that you may want to use the mower all year, so with the grasshopper's ability to have attachments, this could be a very good mower for you. Now if you can justify the extra cost of the grasshopper I would probably go with that, if I wanted to use it for year round tasks. But if I was just looking for something to mow with that is good and reliable, I would go with the bob-cat.

Make sure to take into consideration what dealer is better and how far away the dealer is from where you are.

groundskeeperllc
01-16-2010, 11:35 PM
if you have properties that size then the grasshopper outfront is the way to go, they are so comfortable and smooth, if your gonna be on it a long time there is no better machine for comfort, and that kubota gas liquid cooled engine runs so queit compared to a air cooled, i would recomend test driving both mowers first

CBlandscaping
01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the input, both lines are at the same dealer he just opened up last year and i have built a good relationship with the owner, and he provideds great service so far and also has given me some work. I plan on test driving both machines to get a feel for them but dont know if ill get to actually cut any grass with either before i make my desicion.

ALC-GregH
01-17-2010, 05:39 PM
They will both cut grass. I think you answered your own question. I wouldn't even consider the Bobcat, not because it can't cut grass or even bag it but more so that it can't do anything else BUT that.

The Grasshopper cuts very well in northern grasses, bags very well and will open the door to other services like aerating, dethatching, snow blowing, small parking lot sweeping and all the other attachments that will make you money. They work well on hills and are built solid.
I'd like to add a Grasshopper mower but find it foolish to get until my current mower needs replaced. I demoed a 700 series front mount 5 years ago and loved it. I wish I had gone that route now. Not that my Scag has a problem but more so that it can only cut grass and bag leaves. A front mount mower would fit in well with the accounts I have. The added bonus would be all the attachments that can be used with it.

My next mower will be a Grasshopper.
I vote Grasshopper. :)

ALC-GregH
01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Also, with their two tone brown and tan paint, they hide dirt a lot easier. :D

jasontimm
01-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I have a grasshopper in the kabota diesel, i love it, its my third one and know that you would love it. I also do a lot of bagging with it.

CBlandscaping
01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
jasontimm have you had any problems with the diesel starting in the cold? my dealer told me it can be and issue and if I plan on using the machine for snow removal I would be better off with the gas motor Thanks

ALC-GregH
01-17-2010, 08:22 PM
jasontimm have you had any problems with the diesel starting in the cold? my dealer told me it can be and issue and if I plan on using the machine for snow removal I would be better off with the gas motor Thanks

I wouldn't be at all afraid to use one of these on a diesel or gas engine when it gets cold. Don't let cold temps sway your decision on a diesel.
http://www.padheaters.com/description.html

Mowingman
01-17-2010, 08:56 PM
The Kubota diesels on the Grasshoppers, have engine preheaters. You should have no problem starting it in cold weather. Of course, if you have a heated shop, that makes it even easier. diesel Grasshoppers are sold and used all over the world in cold climates.

johnnyusa
01-18-2010, 11:53 PM
CB whats your dealer name I am also looking at a 928 diesel front mount?

CBlandscaping
01-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Gall Power Equipment in Enfield, CT he just opened last year and recently moved into where the old allen lawnmower in Enfield was if you have any idea where that is.

AlC an Mowingman thanks for the input I still am alittle afraid of the deisel though because I dont have a heated shop to store the machine in and may even have to leave on site at times in the winter. My dealer had 2 900 seriese kubota diesels come in last week and he told me the custmer actually had to back his truck into the shop to warm the machines up before they would fire. The machines were a few years old and not in the best lookin condition so the preheat might not be working but I dont know

MJB
01-19-2010, 04:00 AM
I want to add another mower for this season and am looking into the bobcat and grasshopper lines. I mow alot of wide open areas and bag clippings 90% of the time so a good collection system is important. I went to my dealer the other day and priced out a Bobcat predator pro 61in w/ kawi 37hp motor and bagger, and a grasshoper front mount 729T 61in w/kubota liquid cooled gas 29hp motor and 25cuft hopper.
I know these are both two very differnt machines and honestly do not have experience with either of them I dont know if the predator is more machine then I really need it just happened to be what was sitting on the showroom floor, it looks built like a tank and i really like the kawi engine(I have the KAI in my lazer) The grasshopper has a larger capacity bagger which would be helpful on my 14acre account that requires being bagged, and I like that i can put a power broom or possibly a snowblower on the front to make the machine versatile and profitable year round (thats why i quoted the liquid cooled kubota so i could add a heated cab for winter)
I guess im just looking for some input on what you guys would choose, or any positive or negative experiences with either machine. Oh and the grasshopper would only cost $1500 more than the predator. Thanks in advance

The Frontmount GHoppers are great in wide open spaces but be warned they are longer for turning around in tight areas that back end can hit things if your not careful. Also they take up more room on the trailer unless you stand up the deck between lawns. The attachments are very pricey, but a nice option. Only thing I noticed about the cut that the Bob Cat might be better at, is in ruts. Those skinney front tires can bounce the deck and cause swirlys in the grass if you have a very rough lawn. I like the midmount mowers better for comfort as long as you have the special seat. The front tires are wider smooths out the ride some. If you ever point that GHopper uphill it won't go up as well as a midmount, in fact it will suck if your bagging anywhere near hills, they don't sidehill well either with the extra weight of the grass in the hopper. But it will back up a hill better than a midmount mower. Just a few points I experienced with a 725 Series GH 61" with the hopper on the back. I also had a 700 series same exact problems in hills. I'm not trying to scare you away from them, but you will run into differences between the frontmount mowers and midmount. I'd demo both this spring before pulling the trigger. I can't believe anyone bags that much grass, wow.

Brad Ent
01-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Bobcat from Allen's.
Go with the biggest engine you can get.
Park the lawn equipment for the winter and get a real snow pusher.

jasontimm
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
It starts good, the glow plugs seem to do fine. i also have the 29 h.p diesel in a mid-mount, it is also a fine machine, one better than the other? i dont know, it depends on if you want to have diesel around or not, or if you have employees that will pay enough attention to which fuel it takes, sucks if they put gas in a diesel machine!!!

CBlandscaping
01-19-2010, 04:48 PM
MJB Thank you for the imput alot of my properties are hill terrain and have some rough areas so the GH might not be the best anyone else having these problems?

Brad my dealer isnt Allen anymore they are still in Agawam I believe though but the new guy in there old enfield store just picked up the bobcat line, and i have snow equipment for the big stuff but thought the GH with a snowblower would be an awsome sidewalk machine

Jason good to hear they dont have the starting problems, I might price out a diesel just to see the $ difference, but since i already have a gas machine i think sticking with one fuel type might be easier

HenryB
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
If you get the Bobcat DO NOT GET THE 37KAWY. I've had two of them. they are a complete disaster;fuel hogs and will blow mine did, oil turns black after 4 hrs of use. Also really loud. The newer ones are DFI maybe better? I still cannot believe Kawasaki put out this 37 hp.

Brad Ent
01-20-2010, 08:22 AM
CB,
Why aren't you sticking with Exmark?
I was not aware that there was a new dealer in town.
Allen is still in Agawam, if they were only closer...
Bobcat dealer support is weak in our area.
Dollar for Dollar Bobcats are great machines, stripe good, structurally solid, etc.
I don't know of any GH dealers in this area, Scags and Exmark everywhere.

CBlandscaping
01-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Brad i love my exmark but wasnt to impressed with my dealer, i kinda felt like unless I was buying 12 mowers a year I wasnt that important

I since had some repairs done to some of my other equipment at Galls power equipment in enfield(he opend up last spring and carries bobcat, grasshopper, and husqvarna) he had great turn around on my repairs and was easy to deal with. When talking about a new mower he was firm in standing behind what he sold and even will lend me his demo unit if the unit I buy breaks down(something my exmark dealer doesnt) The owner also gave me the snow removal contract for the property, so i would like to buy from him

lawnlandscape
04-08-2010, 01:16 AM

YES! I know this was a old post but just had to respond to it. We have 2 700 series Grasshoppers that we use for snow removal. We start them before even pulling out and leave them idling on the trailer. We have run into situations where we could not get them started, especially when it gets below 20 or if its really windy. Gotta leave em running.

MONTE
04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Bobcat offers the new 37hp kawasaki with fuel injection on it.

Brad Ent
04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
What's the price tag for one those in MO. ??