PDA

View Full Version : i need a lot of help...

christian8574139309
01-16-2010, 07:53 PM
hi iam new in this page i just turn 19 years old ive been working in landscape for the past 4 years a have alot of experiance in the job iam the crew in charge in the company and now i want to start my own company i have a few customers i do do mowing mulch and snowplowing but i dont know absolutely nothing on the legal part, taxes, estimates, registration, how to get more customers, etc. i would like if somebode with a lot of experience can help me i will appreciate a lot. thank you. :confused::confused:

Nolimit124
01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
hey shoot me an email at Nolimit124@msn.com i could help you out i'm sure.

SangerLawn
01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Figure in how much everything cost for you to run a business for a day. Add the amount of money you want to profit per day. Divide that number by the amount of hours you will spend actually at a customer’s property.

Here is an example….this is just an example so do not use these numbers.

Fuel, trimmer string, ware and tear on equipment plus all the things to be legal cost $150 per day

You want to profit $150.00 per day

You know on a 10 hour day you will only be working 6 hours. The rest of time is working on equipment, paper work, or traveling from job to job.

For a 10 hour day, with 6 hours of work that you can charge for, you will need $50.00 per hour to operate while you’re on a job working.

Not to be rude but believe it or not you will be doing a lot of writing. I recommend a English class or at least learn to use Microsoft word.

Contact an insurance company, state police in your area, and an accountant for the other legal stuff…..this is your life, don’t risk it to the best answer on here…get legal advice

Hope this helps

tinman
01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Everyone's numbers are different. On this site... everyone will tell you that you are charging too little no matter what it is... sometimes its true. But you have to know what you are going to be spending so you will know what you are actually making. Gross is nice but net (money left after expenses) is what counts

Jim Bo
01-22-2010, 08:31 PM
When you get some money, hire a good accountant. They no all the legal stuff for your area and they can start planning the future of your company.
Jim Bo

goblingreen
01-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Figure in how much everything cost for you to run a business for a day. Add the amount of money you want to profit per day. Divide that number by the amount of hours you will spend actually at a customer’s property.

Here is an example….this is just an example so do not use these numbers.

Fuel, trimmer string, ware and tear on equipment plus all the things to be legal cost $150 per day

You want to profit $150.00 per day

You know on a 10 hour day you will only be working 6 hours. The rest of time is working on equipment, paper work, or traveling from job to job.

For a 10 hour day, with 6 hours of work that you can charge for, you will need $50.00 per hour to operate while you’re on a job working.

Not to be rude but believe it or not you will be doing a lot of writing. I recommend a English class or at least learn to use Microsoft word.

Contact an insurance company, state police in your area, and an accountant for the other legal stuff…..this is your life, don’t risk it to the best answer on here…get legal advice

Hope this helps

Why do you suggest contacting the state place in the area....Just what kind of grass are you taking care of?

SangerLawn
01-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Why do you suggest contacting the state place in the area....Just what kind of grass are you taking care of?

It’s for the department of transportation. Depending what kind of equipment you have DOT requires different auto insurance and DOT numbers to be applied on your vehicle. By contacting the state police they can inform you of what needs done.

I could be wrong but…aren’t you the one that was acting like you new everything about the lawn care industry? Just so you know….about 99 percent of lawn care trucks are required to have DOT numbers…maybe this is something else you need to look into?

punt66
01-23-2010, 08:58 AM
It’s for the department of transportation. Depending what kind of equipment you have DOT requires different auto insurance and DOT numbers to be applied on your vehicle. By contacting the state police they can inform you of what needs done.

I could be wrong but…aren’t you the one that was acting like you new everything about the lawn care industry? Just so you know….about 99 percent of lawn care trucks are required to have DOT numbers…maybe this is something else you need to look into?

umm, not exactly true about the DOT#'s. Every state is different. Some do not require #'s if your working within the state only.

SangerLawn
01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
umm, not exactly true about the DOT#'s. Every state is different. Some do not require #'s if your working within the state only.

DOT numbers are federal and not governed by the state. Working within the state and out of state is the reason for intrastate and interstate numbers. You receive intrastate numbers if only working in the state and interstate numbers if working out of state (crossing state lines).What makes the difference is the GWR or your vehicle not where you are located.

With that said some states are more lenient then others as far as inspections. Where I am you always see lawn care trucks pulled over by DOT but you hardly ever see it in Kentucky.

I recommend calling the state police and asking to speak with a DOT officer. According to State farm insurance, if you are required to have DOT numbers along with all the inspections done on your truck and don’t, then get into an accident, your insurance coverage is void because you did not have commercial insurance on that vehicle.

SangerLawn
01-23-2010, 09:19 AM
My apologies on the above post…..i should have said most states require the numbers on your truck. The rest you are allowed to carry the numbers inside your truck…..to late to fix that…sorry

But ether way you must have them

punt66
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
DOT numbers are federal and not governed by the state. Working within the state and out of state is the reason for intrastate and interstate numbers. You receive intrastate numbers if only working in the state and interstate numbers if working out of state (crossing state lines).What makes the difference is the GWR or your vehicle not where you are located.

With that said some states are more lenient then others as far as inspections. Where I am you always see lawn care trucks pulled over by DOT but you hardly ever see it in Kentucky.

I recommend calling the state police and asking to speak with a DOT officer. According to State farm insurance, if you are required to have DOT numbers along with all the inspections done on your truck and don’t, then get into an accident, your insurance coverage is void because you did not have commercial insurance on that vehicle.

your way off on this. Do you make this stuff up as you go? Like i said, not all states need them. It is for commerce across state lines nationaly. Here is something for you to read so you understand things. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-USDOT.htm

SangerLawn
01-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Yes I agree but….unless you own a lawn care service that DOES NOT carry gas cans you are not reading everything…..

transporting some hazardous materials.

Pursuant to Title 49 CFR Part 107, Subpart G (107.601 - 107.620), certain offerors and transporters of hazardous materials are required to file an annual registration statement with the U.S. Department of Transportation and to pay a fee. For more information, visit http://hazmat.dot.gov/register.htm .

so no...i dont make this stuff up...i do however have regular inspections on all my trucks and equipment

punt66
01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
haha ok. That has nothing to do with DOT #'s. I have a CDL A with hazmat, doubles/triples. If you carry over a certain amount of fuel or other hazordous material like milk you need a placard. Your link is not working.

SangerLawn
01-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Lol…ok, we are on the same page I think? I also have class A with all the endorsements. So I understand where you are coming from…don’t know what is wrong with link? I copied it directly from the web site?

When it comes to the numbers, the DOT office explained the rules and regulations being if you carry x amount of fuel…………to my understanding less then 10 gallons….you do not have to have the endorsements on your license however the DOT numbers are mandatory if carrying fuel if you GWR is over 10,000 lbs. this forces you to keep up inspections.

As far as state to state, yes I agree, it varies. But most states it is if your in business and truck and trailer GWR is over 10,000 lbs…..another words…like I said in the original post….check with your local state police office to get the rules and regulations because its your life and the answer shouldn’t be settled on the best answer on here…..plus its really not that expansive its just a pain in the arse :)

punt66
01-23-2010, 03:26 PM
yea there are 20 states that do not require dot#'s and CT is one of them. But if you do business across state borders then you need it. But it is not a bad idea to have one. I work in town and dont need it. So generalizing all landscape companies need it is not correct.