PDA

View Full Version : How to move clipping w/out pickup

NEWGUYRI
01-16-2010, 09:03 PM
How should I move clippings without a pickup truck? It will only be for about 6 months, until I have enough capital to afford one.

topsites
01-16-2010, 09:48 PM
In the trailer?

No....
Don't tell me.

S L C
01-16-2010, 09:52 PM
lol topsites... :laugh:

NEWGUYRI
01-16-2010, 10:09 PM
believe me, I am opposed to the idea as well, but I have no other option. I think putting a tarp down might work?

topsites
01-16-2010, 10:11 PM
How are you transporting your equipment?

DLAWNS
01-16-2010, 10:21 PM
I think your best bet would be to throw a tarp down on the trailer and just pile it on there....When unloading it you'll probably have to pitchfork it off, but if it's light enough you might be able to slide it off.

topsites
01-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah so long you have a trailer it's no big deal.
I don't use a tarp, the stuff's so dang heavy anyhow...

I usually shovel it out with a pitchfork, use a wheel barrow to transport the stuff.

DLAWNS
01-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah so long you have a trailer it's no big deal.
I don't use a tarp, the stuff's so dang heavy anyhow...

I usually shovel it out with a pitchfork, use a wheel barrow to transport the stuff.

Thats true...it usually gets so heavy you won't be able to use a tarp to pull it off...the only reason that I would use one is so you don't get stank grass all stuck to your trailer.

doubleedge
01-16-2010, 10:43 PM
It looks like you pull a small trailer with your zero turn. The only thing that you could do is pull a bigger trailer, or pull a second trailer behind your other one. You won't be able to put much in it, though.

STIHL GUY
01-16-2010, 11:06 PM
you could just mulch everything

NEWGUYRI
01-16-2010, 11:29 PM
For the first half of this year I will be using a GMC Yukon that my family owns. I will be pulling a 14' tandem axle trailer w/ 36" exmark w/b and kubota ztr. After I have made enough capital I will buy a used F-250. I think tarping is my best bet.

clean_cut
01-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah, it may be heavy though, maybe take two tarps and distribute the weight between the two. Maybe try a few different ways and see what you like best.

mowerdude777
01-21-2010, 05:54 PM
believe me, I am opposed to the idea as well, but I have no other option. I think putting a tarp down might work?

If you mean inside the truck It works you just need to vacume the truck every few days what I do is fold down all the backseats when I am using the van and set a board over the floor then place a tarp doen and it works pretty well if you ask me (even though it looks very redneck)

echeandia
01-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Why are you bagging? It is better for the lawn to leave the clippings to decompose and put their nutrients back into the soil.

DLAWNS
01-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Why are you bagging? It is better for the lawn to leave the clippings to decompose and put their nutrients back into the soil.

As much as this is true, there are situations where it is better to bag.

Yater
01-21-2010, 06:38 PM
If you mean inside the truck It works you just need to vacume the truck every few days)

:laugh:

Load your dad's yukon with grass clippings? :laugh:

WHIPPLE5.7
01-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Get some of the wheeled plastic trash cans like WM has. Just line them up in front of your trailer and your equipment should still fit.

mowerdude777
01-21-2010, 06:41 PM

LOL I guess you are right it was a dumb idea. My mom does not care if I load her van with clippings as long keep up with vacuuming the van every few days I only do this with leaves with grass I just load a bunch of trash cans in the back then fill them and swap them for empty ones when I go home lol

NEWGUYRI
01-21-2010, 07:02 PM

Well unfortunately thats what I have to do. Money doesn't grow on trees now does it:hammerhead::hammerhead:

DieselLandscaping
01-21-2010, 07:21 PM
wow. I'd say look for hillsides, woods, or dumpsters that you custs. may have. Maybe bring 2 trash cans each day and empty them @ home. Last thing i would ever do is load a yukon with cut grass.

NEWGUYRI
01-21-2010, 08:05 PM
I think I'm gonna put them in those thick thick trash bags, and either put them in the back, trailer, or at the customers curb for pick-up.

mowerdude777
01-21-2010, 08:08 PM
I think I'm gonna put them in those thick thick trash bags, and either put them in the back, trailer, or at the customers curb for pick-up.

I have used that methood as well only I fill them take them home empty them in my yard waste cans and since the bags are durable they last a pretty long time so I was able to reuse them a lot

Nolimit124
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
You should get some plywood and make a box at the front of your trailer. So that way it separates the grass clippings from the equipment. You should be able to make at 2 foot wide box by 3 feet high. You could make it so on of the sides can be taken off so you can pitchfork the grass clippings off. This would work and would only costs you like $40 to build. I was actually thinking about doing this, but i was just thinking about putting as many 60 gallon green landscaping buckets as I could on the trailer.

xclusive
01-22-2010, 01:35 AM
I am not sure how accounts you have but just buy 2 or 3 green landscape barrels and load them up with your clipping. They can hold a good amount especially if you pack it down.

clinicalengineer
01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
I used to do the tarp thing until i found these http://www.gemplers.com/product/83434/Landscaping-Bag I have 2 of them. They fit perfectly on my trailer with the WB and a push mower. I can drag the bastard into the backyard with me, dump right into it, then drag it back out to the trailer when finished. I load the mowers to the front then stick the bags onto the back of the trailer for easy off loading. When i go to dump at the graveyard i just pull up to the pile, grab the far handle, and tip it over the side rail. They are really helpful for leaf cleanups.

clinicalengineer
01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I was digging through my phone for a pic and this was the only one i had. Sorry, I took this at night after finishing a leaf cleanup.

Grass Shark
01-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Well if money is that tight I am assuming you dont have two many accounts. What I would do is get 2-3 of the green landscaping cans... you will be amazed at how much grass you can fit in them when you get in the can and jump on the grass. If you fill one or two of them dump it on the deck of the trailer. The grass is so compacted from sitting in the can all morning that it will stick together for the most part. You most likely not lose much more grass on the road than a open bed pickup. If you have to you start your first day with one can, do so. The cans are only like $60 each.

If you have a circular saw & a drill and you know how to use them I would do this; Go to home depot & get 3 sheets of 1/2 plus plywood (about $20 each). Cut them in half longway so you have 2' X 8'. Bolt them to the side rails of the trailer... You now have 2 ft tall sides on your trailer and you just dump the grass in the front and just keep ramming it with the mower... you will never fill in a day. This is also great for clean up, mulch, etc too. And it only cost about a $100 and if you paint it which I would. Go to home depot and get outdoor paint/primer in one, put at least two good coats on and if you do a good job it will most likely not warp. The paint is only like $35, so this is a good cheap setup.

ParkWelding
01-26-2010, 09:59 PM
I'd say to go for the green cans. I ran around for a couple weeks with 6 of them in the back of a pickup when I was between dump trucks this past summer. I could get about 5-6 full sets of bags into the green cans (toro g3 w/ triple bagger). Worked OK in the middle of the summer.

sweetland
01-26-2010, 10:07 PM
deff go with the cans or mulch everything

CGlisson
01-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Another vote for the cans! Although I've heard them called landscaping barrels too. My local John Deere Landscaping shop has them. (Previously Lescos) You can buy them online as well. As was said...they hold TONS of grass and/or leaves. I currently have 2.

I also use recycling bins for grass too sometimes. They hold about the same as a push mowers clippings. They are convenient because of their size. I run them along the sides of my trailer...makes for quick clean up at the end of the day as I have to unload the grass and carry it about 50 yards. Not sure if the recycling bin thing is local to New York? Anything similar would work.

Tarp will probably tear quickly and will be all over your equipment. JMO

Premier landscaping south
01-26-2010, 11:35 PM
If you mean inside the truck It works you just need to vacume the truck every few days what I do is fold down all the backseats when I am using the van and set a board over the floor then place a tarp doen and it works pretty well if you ask me (even though it looks very redneck)

Please don't go redneck on me.

I grew up in Troy(15 & livernoise) and it is a very nice city to do business in. Once the economy picks up you should do well around their. Lots of nice homes very close to each another.

You ain't scene redneck until you cross the mason-dixon line my friend. The two most remembered things I have saw are: a 1979 Cadillac Seville with a pick up truck box on the back(8'). Everything was cut from the rear of the front doors and whamo instant pick up truck. This past summer a pickup truck with a home air conditioner unit installed where the sliding window would be. It actually was a pretty clean installation but funny.

Oldtimer
01-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Go to a canvas/awning shop and have a very heavy duty tarp made that is a couple of feet wider and about 6' longer than the trailer. Unload the trailer, cover the trailer floor with the tarp and let the excess hang over the front. Load the clippings onto the tarp at the front of the trailer and use the excess ends of the tarp to cover the load while driving.

To unload the clippings just pull the tarp from the front and the whole load of clippings will come of very easily. This is the way I used to haul clippings. I had an employee turn the blades on (Walker) while on the tarp and we had to remove the blades to remove the very thick and heavy tarp. We used to use chain link fence to unload trash trailers at the dump. We had spreader bars at the front of the chain link. We would use a chain attached to the spreader bar to one of the land fill compactor/front end loaders and either drive forward or have the equipment operator pull back. A 16' trailer with a couple of thousand pounds of trash would be unloaded in seconds.

Oldtimer

OrganicsMaine
01-27-2010, 08:17 AM
I say set your mowers up to mulch....even if you have to run over a few areas twice, it is much easier than bagging. When I say mulch, I don't mean side discharge, but actually mulch it, I didn't look to see what your equipment list is, but many mowers have the ability to be set up to mulch.

If this is not an option, I vote green barrels.....however, you better be strong if you need to haul the suckers from the back yard to your trailer.....I've shouldered many of these full and they are HEAVY!

SNAPPER MAN
01-27-2010, 08:31 AM
We use reusable tarp bags, if you look in my threads you can see them. We just fill them up with grass and then dump them at the end of the day. With the bags you can stack a lot in the front of your trailer. I wouldn't use cans but thats just me.

hackitdown
01-27-2010, 09:17 AM
This is an opportunity to learn how to mulch or side discharge or bag+dump on customer site. Try to minimize the clippings you need to remove. Most customers won't know the difference, many actually want the clippings mulched back in because it is good for the lawn. I remove clippings from only one customer site, and they pay for the extra service.

I always ask a new customer, "If I need to bag your clippings, where do you want them dumped?"

OrganicsMaine
01-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't even tell my customers that I am mulching, I just do it. I usually bag for a few weeks in spring, and for fall clean ups as well, otherwise, I am mulching. I just take care to be sure the place looks perfect when finished.....any clumps are blown/double cut etc. Even if I have to double cut, I have found that at the end of the day I am getting through the lawns faster than if I cut once and bagged.

MarcSmith
01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
lawn baggs google em...

we use them with our john deere gators...

but as echinacea mentioned. there is no real reason to bag clippings. if you cut frequently enough and keep your blades sharp you wont have a problem with clippings.

Otherwise bag and leave for your customers trash pickup...