PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried these?

Landscape Poet
01-17-2010, 07:41 AM
So I was shopping with my son today for football clothing and he insisted we go into these Under Armour store. Now he has several pieces of this stuff and he gets the compression type that show every inch of your body so I did not think I would be interested in it. However I found that the lose size actually look similar to a basic t shirt and they even have polo style shirts. So I tried one on. The material is great, breathes, lightweight and is design of the material is made to wick the sweat away from your body. So I am looking around and they have a full rack of clearance in what color. Green!
So I try it on and it feel great and looks good - I am thinking it will be perfect for the kind of humidity we have down here to go with our temps. One last thing is that it is all of there clothing overs at least spf 15 but they have some that go as high as 60, so I am not normally a fan of long sleeve down here, but this stuff could actually be comfortable enough to alllow me to wear long sleeve down here in our enviroment. Going to try it out and may have company logos put on if they are good.

Has anyone else tried this stuff during the heat of the season? Is it all that I think it could be?

DLAWNS
01-17-2010, 10:39 AM
I love under armour....it's a bit spendy though. I know it's great in the cold here but haven't been able to bring myself to wear it in the heat of the summer. Let us know how you like wearing it down in Florida! When I lived down there Under Armour was pretty new and never tried it then.

topsites
01-17-2010, 11:39 AM
is made to wick the sweat away from your body.

I don't get this, the label will tell you what it's made of, are you talking about cotton?

ALC-GregH
01-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't get this, the label will tell you what it's made of, are you talking about cotton?

TS, go to their website and read up on them.

They work great. I have 4 of the light shirts and they breath great. I can be soaked and by the next stop my shirt is dry!

Landscape Poet
01-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I love under armour....it's a bit spendy though. I know it's great in the cold here but haven't been able to bring myself to wear it in the heat of the summer. Let us know how you like wearing it down in Florida! When I lived down there Under Armour was pretty new and never tried it then.

DLAWNS,

Make sure you are buying the right ones - I got schooled on this yesterday - There are ones made to keep you dry and cool when the heat is on - and of course the ones you are talking about made to keep your heath in.

They are still a little costly for sure, but there is a outlet mall down here with a UA outlet, so you get a little break off retail on their normal stuff and then their clearance is really descent, for example a couple of racks of shirts for $9.99.
That is a great thing about solo - I just have to worry about me, so if it is something I really think will make it more comfortable and allow me to wear long sleeve in our environment, I will make it happen.

Landscape Poet
01-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Topsites - check this out - The section I am sending you to is the Tactical Section. Read the Comments - if they are real - they are from service men that are over in the desert and talk about how the ones made for heat really work and the ones made to keep them warm do too. If they are using them in those extremes I think it may make in the Fl environment.

Under Armour Tactical Gear (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/tactical/tactical/tops)

Landscape Poet
01-17-2010, 12:25 PM
They work great. I have 4 of the light shirts and they breath great. I can be soaked and by the next stop my shirt is dry!

Glad to hear that - I figured they might -Did you use the short sleeve or did you try the long sleeve. I am very interested in giving them a try in our heat.

Big C
01-17-2010, 12:46 PM
They work great!!

Daily Lawn/Landscape
01-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I wear the long sleeved under armor (black) all summer long. I have never been cooler. Some think I'm crazy, until they try it. A friend of mine hooked me on them a couple yrs ago. There is not a day you won't find me wearing one. And yes, they are all long sleeved.

James

Hawg City Lawns
01-17-2010, 01:21 PM
i have 3 of the polo shirts and theres nothing better i didnt know they had t shirt ones though ill have to try to find those around here

ALC-GregH
01-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Glad to hear that - I figured they might -Did you use the short sleeve or did you try the long sleeve. I am very interested in giving them a try in our heat.

Short sleeves. I have the loose fit shirts. Seems when you sweat they get cooler, I guess because it wicks the sweat off and drys extremely fast.

mowerbrad
01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I have always wondered about the heat gear from under armour. It seems pretty expensive to use as a work shirt, at $45 per shirt. But if I could get one or two of them on sale somewhere for a good price, I might consider using them as work shirts. I know it doesn't get as warm up here in michigan as it does down if florida, but from when it does get hot and humid up here, it may be nice to have.

MikeKle
01-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I have been wearing Under Armour for the past two seasons and absolutely LOVE them, they are so comfortable and never get that big wet spot on the back, or get wet anywhere from sweat!! Even when its upper 90s, they make you feel cool and comfortable. Try the high end Metal series, these are near $50. for a short sleeve T, but worth every penny! I normally wear teh short sleeve heat gear shirts, do not waste your money on the ones that claim to feel like cotton and have the under armour tech, these suck and will get soaked with sweat quickly, they are just like a regular cotton T shirt, I dont know what Under Armour was thinking with these.

Valk
01-17-2010, 03:21 PM
I get the knockoff's made by Champion Gear (at Target) & Walmart's brand... Wearing a short sleeved performance cloth T-shirt under a short-sleeved button shirt is cool, dry & comfortable in the heat.

For cooler temps, nothing beats longsleeved thermal performance wear...with layers on top that can be removed as warranted.

AdamChrap
01-17-2010, 03:23 PM
I looked at them. I thought they were pricey considering hey get stained and tore up.

Landscape Poet
01-17-2010, 06:05 PM
I wear the long sleeved under armor (black) all summer long. I have never been cooler. Some think I'm crazy, until they try it. A friend of mine hooked me on them a couple yrs ago. There is not a day you won't find me wearing one. And yes, they are all long sleeved.

James

This is exactly what I was wanting to hear. I am thinking of going with the black long sleeved, loose tshirts. I used mine for the first time today - I got to say it was in the high 70 to low 80s and humidity was only in the high 60's but man it felt really comfortable. I normally am one that could not wear a normal long sleeve T is this type of weather.

Looks like there are lots of folks out there using them, so far I would recommend them for sure, but will know more by June:cry::dizzy:

Landscape Poet
01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
I have always wondered about the heat gear from under armour. It seems pretty expensive to use as a work shirt, at $45 per shirt. But if I could get one or two of them on sale somewhere for a good price, I might consider using them as work shirts. I know it doesn't get as warm up here in michigan as it does down if florida, but from when it does get hot and humid up here, it may be nice to have.

I am not a FL boy originally so I know it get hot up there too. I swear the summers in Missouri seemed like some of the worst - their was the humidity for the rivers and 0 air movement - there were days when I felt like that egg in the "this is your brain, this brain on drugs commercials".

clean_cut
01-17-2010, 06:48 PM
The thing I don't like about them is the price, but the clearance rack must be nice! Even though you can find the same material in other stores (not underarmor brand) for a lot less $$$.

DLAWNS
01-17-2010, 07:44 PM
DLAWNS,

Make sure you are buying the right ones - I got schooled on this yesterday - There are ones made to keep you dry and cool when the heat is on - and of course the ones you are talking about made to keep your heath in.

They are still a little costly for sure, but there is a outlet mall down here with a UA outlet, so you get a little break off retail on their normal stuff and then their clearance is really descent, for example a couple of racks of shirts for $9.99.
That is a great thing about solo - I just have to worry about me, so if it is something I really think will make it more comfortable and allow me to wear long sleeve in our environment, I will make it happen.

Thanks for the info Mike! I really appreciate them, I will be shopping them over the winter.

lawnboy852
01-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Under Armour is a real life saver. Im a rower, working out year round, with absolutely no days off due to weather. In the summer, their Heat Gear line really does a great job, like someone above stated, it dries very quickly, and keeps you dry and cool at the same time. Often times between workout sets Ill take off my shirt, dip it in the river, and put it back on to keep me cool. OR in the fall and spring, when the air is hot but the water is still cold, the drying is SO nice. Rowing a boat that is narrower than you are wide, especially in wind can lead to some capsizes every now and then... And drying off quickly keeps you warm, and lets you keep your workout going.

Now in the cold weather, Cold Gear is the best stuff around. If you really want it to keep you warm it is absolutely imperative that you try on every size (within reason) It should fit tightly and be very form fitting, but it should not chafe or rub anywhere. Using this as a base layer, with something as light as a tshirt over it, just to cut the wind a little, will keep you plenty warm if your doing some work.

MikeKle
01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
It must be nice to have a UA outlet store near you! I have around 12 UA t-shirts now and they are all the short sleeve, and I paid full price for each one!! but you all seem to prefer the long sleeves, You all wear them even in the hot humidity of June, july? Do they make you cooler than the short sleeves? I bought a pair of their cold gear socks last year,cause my feet seem to stay like ice for the whole winter no matter how many socks I wear. BUt I didnt think their cold gear worked as good? They didnt keep my feet any warmer? and the damned things cost me $14. for one pair!!

Anyone in shape enough to wear the "fitted" UA shirts? I tried one on once, and they are just way too tight to be comfortable mowing all day in.

lawnboy852
01-17-2010, 10:11 PM
The fitted shirts are tricky, Finding the right size is the ticket. I have found that I need to compromise with some sizing, AKA it might be tighter around my torso and looser around my shoulders and arms, or what have you. Once you find the right fit though i can wear it all day and not know its there. Another thing I have found is that the more its used to more comfortable it gets. Like a good pair of jeans, you have to break them in to fit you. The material will maintain its formfitting ness but be much more comfortable after sereral (or many) washes and uses. Another option that I have recently turned to is Nike gear. It is as effective as UA, but lighter in weight and looser fitting. Like it has been said, all of the brands and off brands are essentially the same performance wise, just price and personal preference are the deciding factors.

On another note, if you are looking for some GREAT gear, check out JLracing.com They have fantastic tech-shirts, and jackets. They are designed for rowing, and will fit a little differently than normal jackets (mostly cut higher in the front and lower in the back) But for sitting down on a ztr or what have you (personally for everyday comfort) its nice not to have a lot of fabric bunching around your waist.

Landscape Poet
01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info Mike! I really appreciate them, I will be shopping them over the winter.

DLAWNS - Glad I could help! Like I said they appear to be something at least that everyone should try. If the Armed services are having luck with them over in Iraq with the temp swings there, then they should work out pretty good for our line of work too.
There is a Real Tree line out there for you hunters too.

Lafman
01-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Down here in Louisiana, the heat combined with the humidity makes it Africa hot. I bought two Under Armor HEAT GEAR shirts (looks like a tshirt but fits very loosely) for $25 each. They work great. Its all i wore after using them. I highly recommend them for hot days. Use the COLD GEAR (which fits skin tight) combined with outwear layers for cold days. I also bought knock-offs (BCG's is the brand) at a local Academy for 1/2 the price of Under Armor. Same materials and work just as well. Good luck....

Landscape Poet
01-17-2010, 10:48 PM
It must be nice to have a UA outlet store near you! I have around 12 UA t-shirts now and they are all the short sleeve, and I paid full price for each one!! but you all seem to prefer the long sleeves, You all wear them even in the hot humidity of June, july? Do they make you cooler than the short sleeves? I bought a pair of their cold gear socks last year,cause my feet seem to stay like ice for the whole winter no matter how many socks I wear. BUt I didnt think their cold gear worked as good? They didnt keep my feet any warmer? and the damned things cost me $14. for one pair!!

Anyone in shape enough to wear the "fitted" UA shirts? I tried one on once, and they are just way too tight to be comfortable mowing all day in.

Brother, I am in one of the Tourist capitals of the world - we have Outlet shops like crazy down here to feed the need of all those looking to spend there cash. The Foreign people go nuts down here man - One of the most popular stores at the two main outlet malls, samsonite luggage - you will see them by it to haul all their purchase back.
It works out pretty good for us.
I am not sure I prefer the long sleeves, but I am going to give them a shot because of the UV protection - could save money in the long run on sunscreen and well save my life for that matter. The sun is brutal down here most of the year. And yes i think you can sport them in the humidity - Today it the humidity peaked out in the mid 60's - and I was comfortable - but the true test will be when it is back to normal and humidity is 90's. Sounds like others have had luck with them though!

Landscape Poet
01-17-2010, 10:50 PM
On another note, if you are looking for some GREAT gear, check out JLracing.com They have fantastic tech-shirts, and jackets. They are designed for rowing, and will fit a little differently than normal jackets (mostly cut higher in the front and lower in the back) But for sitting down on a ztr or what have you (personally for everyday comfort) its nice not to have a lot of fabric bunching around your waist.

Not going to need jackets anytime soon down here, but that does make sense that they would be perfect size the range of motion between rowing and ZT operations would be similar. Thanks for the heads up.

topsites
01-18-2010, 04:10 AM
TS, go to their website and read up on them.

I don't think so, I kind of figured you got that line about it "wicking sweat" from someplace else
and didn't come up with it on your own, and thanks for the offer but I'm tired of being fed the
corporate BS when all I want to know is what material they are made of.

It's nothing new, there's no new knitting technology or machine that makes clothes any different today
than it's been done for thousands of years, and other than synthetic materials which by now have also
been around for well over a 100 years there's also little of anything new.
It's the same dang clothes of yesteryear, it's the same exact material, and the same exact technology.
Oh, but THESE shirts are better than the other snake oil they say?
Yeah right.

Don't believe me, I've heard that line before and I'm talking 8 or 10 years ago.

You see ...

That would be like some tire salesman trying to tell me their tires literally "wipe" the water off the road so
there's little hydroplaning, then when I ask the man if they're GTAS tires I get a dumb look...
What the hell, the guy knows all about this tire but yet can't tell me if they're GTAS?

Sorry, but I refuse to buy into that fake smile and forced nodding up and down of the head crap.

topsites
01-18-2010, 04:36 AM
I looked at them. I thought they were pricey considering hey get stained and tore up.

Now we're thinking!
100% cotton short-sleeve white T-shirts usually run about $4.

I did visit their Web site and here's what they're made of:
95% 4.6 oz Polyester / 5% Elastane.
It's pure synthetics, I don't give a rat about the technology, a weave is a weave.
The only thing that keeps these things 'cool' is the fact they're white
and about the only thing it "wicks away" is a man's money.

Do a search on Google and find out for yourself what polyester does in the summer.

Yes sir, the best material for the heat is 100% cotton.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090903015201AAWFM3z

Here's another:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1043037 I have a couple of shirts that are 60-40 cotton polyester. They are not that bad. They are comfortable enough to spend a day at the office indoors. I wouldn't wear them and walk around on a hot summer day, though. I bought them mostly out of curiosity as my preference is always for 100% cotton.

There are other folks on that page who disagree, perhaps they don't work outside because
I am pretty sure they wouldn't stand for polyester in no 100 degree heat and humidity.

MikeKle
01-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Now we're thinking!

It's pure synthetics, I don't give a rat about the technology, a weave is a weave.

Do a search on Google and find out for yourself what polyester does in the summer.

Here's another:

There are other folks on that page who disagree, perhaps they don't work outside because
I am pretty sure they wouldn't stand for polyester in no 100 degree heat and humidity.

You are wrong! I do not have any white UA shirts, all of mine are the darker colored ones, including black, and they work just as well! They are a bit more than polyester, but they do feel similar. 100% polyester shirts stick to you during the humidity and heat, UA shirts do not. Im not sure of the technology that makes them work, but they do, all these people on here would not be raving about them if it werent true. I was just like you when a friend told me about them, and said this cannot be true,no shirt can do that, but I tried one out and was amazed how well it worked. Just wear one once in the heat and humidity, and you will see for yourself! BTW, I tried the knock off walmart versions of UA, and didnt like the way they fit, they were way too short in length and too much material in the shoulder area.

DLAWNS
01-18-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't think so, I kind of figured you got that line about it "wicking sweat" from someplace else
and didn't come up with it on your own, and thanks for the offer but I'm tired of being fed the
corporate BS when all I want to know is what material they are made of.

It's nothing new, there's no new knitting technology or machine that makes clothes any different today
than it's been done for thousands of years, and other than synthetic materials which by now have also
been around for well over a 100 years there's also little of anything new.
It's the same dang clothes of yesteryear, it's the same exact material, and the same exact technology.
Oh, but THESE shirts are better than the other snake oil they say?
Yeah right.

Don't believe me, I've heard that line before and I'm talking 8 or 10 years ago.

You see ...

That would be like some tire salesman trying to tell me their tires literally "wipe" the water off the road so
there's little hydroplaning, then when I ask the man if they're GTAS tires I get a dumb look...
What the hell, the guy knows all about this tire but yet can't tell me if they're GTAS?

Sorry, but I refuse to buy into that fake smile and forced nodding up and down of the head crap.

Now we're thinking!

Here's another:

Topsites---you're a weird dude...you're wound a bit tight