PDA

View Full Version : NC grass for lawn with dogs

1999frontier
01-17-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm looking for a type of grass that I can seed in my backyard that will be durable with my dogs. I planted TTTF in the front this past fall. I was going to see how that does this year but I'm not sure if I want to wait til fall to seed fescue in the back. I've got a mixture of bermuda, crabgrass, and other in the back already. Its mostly sunny except around the house it's pretty shady. If somebody could help steer me in the right direction. I'm about an hour east of Raleigh.

Smallaxe
01-18-2010, 07:43 AM
There is no grass that will do what you ask of it, anymore than farmers can use the same pasture all summer long. Farmers rotate from field to field with their herds. This allows recovery time for the pasture crops.

The most important thing for a good lawn - is 'management' of your animals. You can't make up for poorly managed herds of animals. It's all preventive. :)

1999frontier
01-18-2010, 08:17 AM
My wife and I just bought the house back in July. I don't think its really the dogs doing it, I just think the grass is patchy. It rained hard the other night and it was water standing where we don't have any grass. I took some pictures yesterday and I will try to post them. I don't know if I need to put down topsoil and fill in the areas then put grass seed down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
01-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Water standing in bare patches, means - compaction.

Just work up the soil, in the bare ground, - then - overseed or encourage the tillers, of the turf, to grow into that area. :)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-19-2010, 08:37 PM
There is no grass that will do what you ask of it, anymore than farmers can use the same pasture all summer long. Farmers rotate from field to field with their herds. This allows recovery time for the pasture crops.

The most important thing for a good lawn - is 'management' of your animals. You can't make up for poorly managed herds of animals. It's all preventive. :)

Agreed.

Let your dogs pee ponds in one area OR trample one area too much, and don't even bother spending your $ on seed and prep equipment.