PDA

View Full Version : Ariens zt mowers

C&R_Lawn_Care
01-17-2010, 01:20 PM
i am a small bussiness and i got the chance to buy the ariens max zoom

it has 240 hours on it a 60 inch deck with a 25 hours kohler motor on it..

for 3800 dollars would this be a good mower to do commerical work with..

i looked it up online and it sas commerical but idk...

i do about 15 gas stations 2 res. and one small apartment complex with a 42 inch toro timecutter Z so if anyone could help me i would love ya lol:)

Mowingman
01-17-2010, 01:48 PM
No, do not buy it. I was an Ariens dealer for several years. We told folks not to buy those ZT models for commercial use, but some people wanted to go cheap. While they are a good little homeowner machine, they are a terrible choice for a lawn business. You will NOT get even one season of troublefree use out of it. The engine is also a cheap Kohler model, not suited at all for serious use.
The price asking price is high, not far off of a new price I think.
Go look for a better machine designed for commercial use. You will be very disappointed with that machine.

C&R_Lawn_Care
01-17-2010, 01:59 PM
alright i also just wond out it is a recontion mower too =-& with only 240 hours dont sound too good to me .....

also i was looking at a toro titan the sales guy there said they will work good in light comm. use just has the homeowner deck on it. it was 4500.00 plus tax brand new with a 48" deck

i personaly like toro my little res. does pretty good in a comm. way i think..

thank you for your input

Mowingman
01-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Toro Titan series of mowers.
Looks pretty well built though. Still has the cheaper Kohler engine on it. Might be ok if you are careful with it.

C&R_Lawn_Care
01-17-2010, 04:49 PM
what type of mower do you have???

my lil mower has that motor on it haand i have had good luck

Mowingman
01-17-2010, 06:50 PM
I have run most of the major brands, and in the end, I settled on Grasshoppers for my crews.
Also owned a lawn equipment shop where I worked on most any of the brands, and sold Ariens, Gravely, and Grasshoppers.
I do not like the Courage series of Kohler engines. They are just so-so, and are not built to last like the Command series. The Courage engines need to be babied, and need air filter and oil changes a lot more often that Command engines. Even then, the life of a Courage engine is probably going to be maybe 500 hours, and a Command should last 2000 hours +. That is what I have seen from my experience.

C&R_Lawn_Care
01-17-2010, 06:56 PM
well thats some good advice ....

i guess im trying to get a new nice zt for a good price i really spent most of my money on snow removal equipment ..... im just looking for a good reliable mower that will last me ....

Mowingman
01-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Give serious thought to looking for a good used commercial duty mower on Craigslist in your area. There are some great deals there, especially in the winter months.
nothing wrong with going used, if the mower has been well cared for. A little faded, scratched paint, and a few dings, have no affect on how the mower operates.

C&R_Lawn_Care
01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
im thinking about it there is a nice exmark on the for 5g

rcslawncare
01-17-2010, 07:59 PM
I might have something for you, PM me if you want details.

Grass Shark
01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I bought a brand new Titan ZX5400, used it for commercial use for 18 hours, then sold it... this website is here to prevent you from making these beginner mistakes like mine , research it hard. The Titan is a great homeowner machine, but the triaxles are to jerky, it spit a deck belt at 16 hours, it has horrible traction issues and is to slow. NO GOOD for commercial. Look for used Hustler, Scag, Toro Z300-Z500, Exmark, Gravely...

rcslawncare
01-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I bought a brand new Titan ZX5400, used it for commercial use for 18 hours, then sold it... this website is here to prevent you from making these beginner mistakes like mine , research it hard. The Titan is a great homeowner machine, but the triaxles are to jerky, it spit a deck belt at 16 hours, it has horrible traction issues and is to slow. NO GOOD for commercial. Look for used Hustler, Scag, Toro Z300-Z500, Exmark, Gravely...

As Turf Shark said, they are too slow. My 48" Z400 will run circles around the Titan with a 60" deck. Not that its bad, but not designed for heavy commercial use. Will it work? Sure, for how long is the question????