PDA

View Full Version : grass packer ? is any one use it?

i dig it,inc
01-17-2010, 07:24 PM
http://www.grasspacker.com/index.shtml
do you use " grass packer" ?
on what mower ?
is it working good?
is it strong?
thanks !

scagrider22
01-17-2010, 07:32 PM
I used one about ten years ago and the tip of the blade shattered it into pieces, it would fall off and the blade tip would hit it and this happened very often until it was unusable I think it lasted two weeks with duct tape and zip ties holding it together. I have used all other catchers with no problems. They may have redesigned it but it looks exactly the same to me.

Roger
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
PM sent. It should answer some of your questions.

Richard Martin
01-18-2010, 04:09 AM
I've had mine forever. I've had zero problems out of it and it's a rare day when it falls off and it's never been hit by the blades. They're comparably weighted to the other catchers and the easiest to empty. I had a Gobbler before and the door rusted out in just a couple of years. I can throw mine in the back of the truck, the trailer, where ever and it's sustained no damage.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSC00178.jpg

i dig it,inc
01-18-2010, 07:49 AM
thank you all for your help
roger thank you. now i now how it look and work in the real world. why you not using it for leaf pickup?

becpropertymaint.
01-18-2010, 09:33 AM
looks alittle flimsy to me

Roger
01-18-2010, 11:18 AM
thank you all for your help
roger thank you. now i now how it look and work in the real world. why you not using it for leaf pickup?

Leaf pickup -- fills up too rapidly, and I don't want to stop that often to dump. Also, the slots in the sides make it very dirty while sitting on the ZTR seat. The dusty conditions usually found with leaf work could make the use of a GP very difficult. Even dry grass can make the debris blow through the slots. Also, I have found other ways to deal with leaf pickup that does not include using the baggers on mowers.

Notice the cover that Richard Martin has put on the inside of his unit. I suspect the cover is there to prevent so much debris blowing out the slots, back toward the machine.

MOHUSTLER
01-18-2010, 02:44 PM
For the price and being plastic, go with a grass gobbler or accelator bagger. Thoes will hold up better then plastic id imagine.

Richard Martin
01-18-2010, 03:07 PM
For the price and being plastic, go with a grass gobbler or accelator bagger. Thoes will hold up better then plastic id imagine.

The GrassPacker's poly is about twice as thick as the gas tank on your mower and you trust your life to that.

becpropertymaint.
01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
how much grass will that bagger hold

grassman177
01-18-2010, 05:25 PM
i think they would be pretty nice, although i am partial to the aluminum accelerator catchers and have two of those. we have two gobblers as well, but only use them for the standers, and even then, i kinda hate them. good thing we only use them like once a year-----fall

scagrider22
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Not as much as the accelerator and its still just plastic, it may be thicker than a gas tank but its very rigid plastic that has no give so it cracks easy and Im also not hitting my gas tank on anything! I would say it holds about the same as the Exmark bagger and a little more than the grass gobbler.

Roger
01-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Here is the web site:

http://www.grasspacker.com/index.shtml

There is a specification page on one of the clicks. It says capacity is 3.5 to 4.0 bushels. But, that can be misleading. It all depends on how much it can be filled to capacity. Sometimes it can be well filled, other times blowout begins at about 3/4 full. Usually, dump time is more dictated by proximity to dump location than bagger being full.

As far as durability, I share Richard's thoughts. It seems very sturdy. Yes, I've hit it many times, scrapped the side against something. It has some flexibility, so the plastic is not a hard plastic, more like a trash can, perhaps a bit less flexible.

For the little time I WANT/HAVE to use it, spending nearly twice the money isn't worth it (e.g. Accelerator). My intent is not to use it more than two or three times per week. For the little use, I certainly cannot justify a full-sized spindle-driven bagger. This thing is easily transported on the trailer, takes up no extra space (like a two/three bag unit). I wouldn't trade straight across for a full-sized bagging system, regardless of the 6-7X cost. In my case, I hate having to bag the couple of properties, so my intent is to keep any bagging with my ZTR to an absolute minimum.

It isn't a great solution, but is satisfactory for MY needs -- may not be a good fit for others.

Richard Martin
01-18-2010, 07:03 PM
it may be thicker than a gas tank but its very rigid plastic that has no give so it cracks easy

I don't know. They must have changed them or something. Like I said above, I've had mine for quite a few years now and it's not damaged or cracked in anyway. While it may not be as flexible as a Barbie doll the poly does have give. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

thompson_lawncare
02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
We've been running a grass packer for the last two years and it works great. Just make sure that you aren't dragging in any way. We have found that the bungee wears out holding the top in place but you can replace it easy enough for about $2 and 5 minutes. It bags better than anything else we have tried and it will last for a long time. The only disadvantage is that we were used to a cloth bag which would give you a little more lee-way in tight spaces.