PDA

View Full Version : Cube Van?

dnc19694339
01-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Does anybody use a cube van for a mowing rig?

I currently use an enclosed trailer, but am thinking about a cube van.

mowerbrad
01-18-2010, 12:27 AM
Have you checked out super lawn trucks? I think thats what you would be looking for.

ryde307
01-18-2010, 12:30 AM
I use one. Its a npr cabover we purchased and then built the ramp on the back. It is older and got it for next to nothing but only have about 3000$ into it at this point. I didnt want to invest much untill we knew it was a direction we wanted to go. After using it for a season I would have no problem dropping money on a new one.

MikeKle
01-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Super lawn trucks are a waste of money, you can outfit a truck just like theirs for less than half what they are charging for a truck. Some cube trucks have those huge rear wheel humps in the box and theres not much room between them to get a mower thru. I would just look for a used Isuzu or other cube truck for sale on truck paper or truck trader, theres plenty for sale on those websites fairly cheap.

dnc19694339
01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Ya, I forgot about those wheel humps that stick up. I would think there would still be room for a mower to fit in between them though. I like the cube van idea because it is lower to the ground than most box trucks and the ramp would not be as steep.

Triplex
01-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Ya, I forgot about those wheel humps that stick up. I would think there would still be room for a mower to fit in between them though. I like the cube van idea because it is lower to the ground than most box trucks and the ramp would not be as steep.

if you're not talking about a small box truck, do you mean something like a FedEx truck?

360ci
01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Panel trucks are fairly inexpensive, but they're uncomfortable to drive (FedEx, UPS, etc). If anything, find a used Sprinter with the 2.7L diesel with dual wheels (aftermarket cube van) or 2500 series (high box) and add a ramp just inside the rear doors and you'll have a decent workhorse. Width between the wheel wells is around 50". I run a 12' box 3500 Sprinter for another purpose, but with some light modifications it should easily be able to handle lawn work, and get 18+mpg in 100% city driving to boot. I'd stick with pre 2007 models for less to worry about as far as emissions go. With a reefer on the front of my aluminum box, rear air suspension (also aftermarket), it gets 14.5L/100km in split city/highway driving. My 5.9L Durango without a trailer attached to it gets 14mpg on a good day.

Isuzu would be one of the more lower cost fuel efficient cube vans you can get. Ford/GM cubers have large engines, even the diesels and don't except much better than 12-14mpg - on a good day.

if you don't need a large enclosed trailer, you can always downsize the tow-rig you use and keep the trailer. The used market is flooded with relatively fuel efficient vehicles. A 4L V6 Tacoma or Ranger can haul up to 6K without a fuss while still getting better fuel mileage than any domestic cube van.

razor1
01-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Switched to a cube truck years ago and no problemo so far. It's nice not having to load & unload at the beginning and end of the day.

cclllc
01-30-2010, 05:19 AM

I bought a GMC and had the same problem Sold it for what I had in it.I thought of building up the floor and putting removable panels so I could store stuff underneath like shovels or rakes.

360ci
01-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Don't rule out used U-Haul vans. If you can find one where the dealer can provide maintenance history at a good price, you can't beat the low load floor; wheel wells will be in the way, but depending on your equipment and how you have it set up, I don't think they'll pose as much of a problem. Most cube van folks hang other equipment on the walls, or where the wheel wells would be if it had a lowered floor.

gues2who
01-30-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a NPR with the wheel humps. My mowers (walkbehind & Z) go right over them. Love my truck.