PDA

View Full Version : Need GOOD advice

fdyarddog
01-17-2010, 10:18 PM
:usflag: This is going to be my 1st year mowing FULL time, and I really need a great marketing scheme to attract new customers and I'm not 100% sure of the best way to go about that. Anyone got a sure fire concept that works. Any advice on this is much appreciated!

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Get Insured if you are not. Word of mouth works best, going door to door, and giving out business cards

ProcsLC
01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
There is NO sure fire way to attract new customers... The golden rule to advertising is you need to put your name in front of them at least 3-4 times if not more before they even know who you are or think about you... So with that said, you need to design different types of advertising to reach new potential clients... I.E. flyers, newspaper ads, post cards...something to get people to start recognizing you, your name, and your business.

Kutz Lawns
01-17-2010, 10:36 PM
At the top of every page on the far right hand side you'll see a box with your screen name in it when you sign in, there is another box in that same box, now type in that box, "new customers" or "marketing" or "advertising" etc, etc, etc. Now hit the search button and see what happens! It will magically display all kinds of different posts on this forum that will answer all of your questions about starting a lawn care business that have already been discussed at least a thousand times before. It will keep you busy for hours & hours or even days upon days with very useful and concise information and you will learn all kinds of new ideas in different threads posted in different sections throughout the forum.

Welcome to the LS Forum & Good Luck My Friend!

millenium_123
01-17-2010, 11:09 PM
There is NO sure fire way to attract new customers... The golden rule to advertising is you need to put your name in front of them at least 3-4 times if not more before they even know who you are or think about you... So with that said, you need to design different types of advertising to reach new potential clients... I.E. flyers, newspaper ads, post cards...something to get people to start recognizing you, your name, and your business.

Well said!

ALC-GregH
01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm all for helping those who help them self but I can tell you, if there was a sure fire way to gain customers, I wouldn't be telling everyone on a open forum my secret. In the end, this is something you need to learn over time when running a business. Just because someone tells you "how" to do something doesn't mean your a master at it. Time and hard work gain you the experience, not someone telling you how to do it.

MikeKle
01-18-2010, 09:14 AM
You will only get around 1-2% reply on door hangers or flyers, but Ive gained some from these in the beginning, but never did put too many out. The best way is word of mouth, but that usually takes longer as it takes time for people to realize you are worth referring to their friends. I had a yellow pages ad for a few years and gained quite a few from this actually, and even more from the referrals from those initial customers, but its a bit pricey. You will find some great tactics on here to get new business though, just have to search and read.

JohnnyRocker
01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I keep telling you newbies that all you have to do is dump loads of fliers all over the city from a hot air balloon. Why doesn't anybody believe me???
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Lawnut101
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
A good marketing plan is to target the accounts that you want. It's kinda like free advertising. It may take a while to convince people that you do a good job. But sometimes you find somebody who is not satisfied with their current company, or they are getting new bids for the year. Others will tell you they are happy with the company they have. When somebody says that to me, I tell them to stick with them and glad to hear they are loyal. Do them for a fair price, do a good job, and keep them happy. Then you will pick up more work because of that. Make sure you don't undercut, but make sure you are competitive. There is a big difference there.

echeandia
01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
You will need to try a variety of methods to see what works for you. We have tried newspaper ads, coupon mailers, newspaper inserts, google adwords, door hangers, craigslist, direct mail, networking, and HOA newsletters. Some worked and some didn't. Keep track of what works and go with that method. Also, what works this year may not work next year. So you will always need to test new ads and new mediums. Good Luck.

fdyarddog
01-22-2010, 09:37 PM
That really sounds like very solid and honest advice. Much appreciated!

Maple Wood
01-22-2010, 09:59 PM
When I got started I bought another LCO out. He had an established name and customer base. This was worth every penny. It will take time and money to build a customer base up. I didnt have the time to start from scratch and need a sure way to get a lot of customers. This worked for me.

SangerLawn
01-23-2010, 07:46 AM
At the top of every page on the far right hand side you'll see a box with your screen name in it when you sign in, there is another box in that same box, now type in that box, "new customers" or "marketing" or "advertising" etc, etc, etc. Now hit the search button and see what happens! It will magically display all kinds of different posts on this forum that will answer all of your questions about starting a lawn care business that have already been discussed at least a thousand times before. It will keep you busy for hours & hours or even days upon days with very useful and concise information and you will learn all kinds of new ideas in different threads posted in different sections throughout the forum.

Welcome to the LS Forum & Good Luck My Friend!

excellent advise:usflag: