PDA

View Full Version : When does the cutting season start for you?

CowboysLawnCare
01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I know where I live, in south Louisiana, the grass starts growing in late January. I was just curious when yall start.

Kutz Lawns
01-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Us all starts when the grass is 1 inch above the setting that is mostly used around here where I live and that would be 3 inches, doesn't matter what time of the year it is as long as it's 4 inches long and green, then we start cutting!

Good Luck

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
01-17-2010, 10:51 PM
December in hammond

corey4671
01-17-2010, 11:01 PM
not soon enough!

millenium_123
01-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Wow I wish it started in January here! Usually about mid march depending on the weather.

jiggz
01-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Damn you guys are Lucky!! We start around the second week in April in Jersey give or take

stevenf
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
I am in Baton Rouge. You are lucky to have customers allow you to start in January. I dont start untill mid-March when the grass is actually growing steady and needs weekly cuts.

DLAWNS
01-17-2010, 11:23 PM
we start cleanups March/April but cutting doesn't actually start until April/May depending on weather

mowerbrad
01-17-2010, 11:24 PM
I start spring clean-ups in early to mid April but weekly mowing doesn't start until early May. I have a long time yet...the warmer weather can't come quick enough.

DLAWNS
01-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I start spring clean-ups in early to mid April but weekly mowing doesn't start until early May. I have a long time yet...the warmer weather can't come quick enough.

Amen to that....I'm losing my mind!!!

vanncann
01-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Get some cleanups in mid February, but it kicks in to high gear @ the beginning of March her in Dothan, AL.

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
01-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I am in Baton Rouge. You are lucky to have customers allow you to start in January. I dont start untill mid-March when the grass is actually growing steady and needs weekly cuts.

You can offer to multch leaves. But as you know in Louisiana if you don't like the weather stay 10 minutes and it will change. Who knows exactly when cutting grass will actually fire up it has started in late Febuary before

FYS777
01-17-2010, 11:36 PM
march clean ups bring April mowing,!!!!! can't wait either!!!!!

grassman177
01-17-2010, 11:54 PM
pretty much same here, march cleanups and mulching, late march to april for mowing. depends on the winter. i have a feeling this year will be later than the last few

Glenn Lawn Care
01-17-2010, 11:58 PM
i start clean ups in april and start cutting in may. but it all depends on the wheather

puppypaws
01-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Us all starts when the grass is 1 inch above the setting that is mostly used around here where I live and that would be 3 inches, doesn't matter what time of the year it is as long as it's 4 inches long and green, then we start cutting!

Good Luck

"Us all starts", do they teach grammar in Delaware schools?

Turf Commando
01-18-2010, 12:02 AM
I go by the calander to bad nature doesn't....:laugh:
Early may is a fair estimate...

Hawg City Lawns
01-18-2010, 12:05 AM
mid march is when we usually get into mowing we try to get the leaf cleanups out of the way the week of thanksgiving so everything will look good for the holidays

FYS777
01-18-2010, 12:24 AM

OOO come on (puppaa's} if thats all ya came on here to say , at list ya could have answered the question. :clapping:

I think this march when we do start cleanups it will be great, because of all the wind storms we have been haveing.

Richard Martin
01-18-2010, 03:39 AM

He was just having a little fun. Cowboy said "yall" so Kutz said "us all".

I start up in the beginning to middle of March.

LALawnboy
01-18-2010, 05:22 AM
I'm usually cutting every other week (sometimes every three weeks) in regular mild winters. However, after the three hard freezes we had the past couple of weeks, who knows when I'll be out cutting again. The last time I was able to cut was the week before Christmas.

groundskeeperllc
01-18-2010, 07:08 AM
year round here, once a month Nov-Feb and then weeklys start mid-March to begining of April depending on weather

Kutz Lawns
01-18-2010, 08:07 AM
he was just having a little fun. Cowboy said "yall" so kutz said "us all"

thank you!

Charles
01-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Around March 10th here in SC. Mostly winter weeds. I just show up and start cutting:laugh:

Turf Dawg
01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
You can offer to multch leaves. But as you know in Louisiana if you don't like the weather stay 10 minutes and it will change. Who knows exactly when cutting grass will actually fire up it has started in late Febuary before

I know what you mean by waiting 10 minutes and it will change. I am worried that we may have lost some tender plants and some St Augustine. Through the holidays we had way below normal temps. It got down to 8 degrees one night and did not get above freezing for 3 days and did not get above 40 for a week. This weeks forecast is a bit different though--Mon 67/49, Tues 70/53, Wed 67/43, Thur 65/43, Fri 71/53 and Sat 70/45. If these temps hang around the Rye, Henbit, Clover, ect.... will start to go crazy. The St Augustine is normally going pretty good mid March while the Bermuda is generally April.
BTW, I will be cutting the overseeded lawns this week.

puppypaws
01-18-2010, 09:00 AM

Richard, I know exactly what he was doing, and it is called being facetious to someone living in the south. Ask him if that was his attempt, and if he answers you factually, or might we say truthfully, he would say "yes" he was being facetious to a Louisiana boy. You can read through these type people using Braille.

ALC-GregH
01-18-2010, 09:11 AM
richard, i know exactly what he was doing, and it is called being facetious to someone living in the south. Ask him if that was his attempt, and if he answers you factually, or might we say truthfully, he would say "yes" he was being facetious to a louisiana boy. You can read through these type people using braille.

get over it.

integrityman
01-18-2010, 09:20 AM
When does mowing start? Not soon enough! Actually starts around mid April in NW Ohio.

Richard Martin
01-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Richard, I know exactly what he was doing, and it is called being facetious to someone living in the south. Ask him if that was his attempt, and if he answers you factually, or might we say truthfully, he would say "yes" he was being facetious to a Louisiana boy. You can read through these type people using Braille.

Don't quit your day job. :laugh:

John Deere Mann
01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
The last 2 weeks in March. Phones rings off the hook!

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
01-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Mid April to early May...need time for the snow to melt away!

puppypaws
01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Don't quit your day job. :laugh:

I don't need to, I've got enough people to take care of the real work, all I do is relax and mow grass like you boys, that's not work it's enjoyment.

puppypaws
01-18-2010, 09:02 PM
get over it.

And for those that are not from the South but have wanted to get out of the miserable north for a long time, all y'all need is a sign to hang on y'alls front porch that reads "I ain't from the South, but I sure do want to be."

Turf Dawg
01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
And for those that are not from the South but have wanted to get out of the miserable north for a long time, all y'all need is a sign to hang on y'alls front porch that reads "I ain't from the South, but I sure do want to be."

Like the old saying goes "I may not have been born in Texas, but I got their as fast as I could"

puppypaws
01-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Like the old saying goes "I may not have been born in Texas, but I got their as fast as I could"

And I can sure understand why, I've got two friends I'm having breakfast with in the morning and then they are headed to the Texas coast for a little fun in the sun.

TXNSLighting
01-18-2010, 09:30 PM
We start early march around here! It cant get here fast enough!!

Mahoney3223
01-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Early Mid April depending on Ohio weather but rule of thumb is I'm usually mowing by april 15th

joel29m
01-18-2010, 11:08 PM

mid march in baton rouge, and so many phone calls to keep and so many to loose. and like stevenf said, in january its rare, might get a mulch job.

joel29m
01-18-2010, 11:23 PM

yeah, i did a thread and said yall and somebody said thats how they can tell the southern guys on here, all i can do is laugh cause you will think thats really a word down here, even the "wanna be proper people" say it, but in tennesse ( if its spell right) they have a stronger country accent than us...

STIHL GUY
01-18-2010, 11:32 PM
i start cutting late april/ early may

Richard Martin
01-19-2010, 03:46 AM
I don't need to, I've got enough people to take care of the real work, all I do is relax and mow grass like you boys, that's not work it's enjoyment.

What I said was a joke. Loosen up there bud. :laugh:

jvanvliet
01-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Y'all pre-menstrual or pre- menapausal? Maybe just cabin fever. :dizzy:

I cut all year long... just not as often come December, January, February and March... April things heat up a bit and by mid May it's full tilt boogie.

Got me a new mower for 4th of July though; :usflag:

OSU 09
01-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Depending on the weather, cutting for us starts around 2nd or 3rd week of April. We do have a baseball complex where the field gets mowed starting about end of march (if the snow is melted) just to make it appear a little more groomed for the first home games.

Chilehead
01-19-2010, 08:31 AM
My fescue lawns get started in March. Bermuda, zoysia, and centipede starts to green up in April. Back in 2005, I was mowing everyone by mid-March because it got warm early. Remember, it's soil temps that will cause the grass to grow-not air temps.

puppypaws
01-19-2010, 09:10 AM
What I said was a joke. Loosen up there bud. :laugh:

I did not say anything that was not fact as it pertains to me, if you always state facts, you don't need to worry about covering your tracks. What you posted wasn't relevant to my statement, it honestly made no sense. There are quiet a few really good Yankees, then you always have a number like, "Kutz Lawns" and "ALC-GregH", it's happens when the genetics are flawed because of poor absorption of Vitamin D from lack of sunlight during those long cold winters.

yeah, i did a thread and said yall and somebody said thats how they can tell the southern guys on here, all i can do is laugh cause you will think thats really a word down here, even the "wanna be proper people" say it, but in tennesse ( if its spell right) they have a stronger country accent than us...

In the South, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural.

Y'all is a word in the dictionary defined as a pronoun.

y'all

pron

Definition:

Southern U.S.
Same as you-all