PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to kick myself for selling my mower for this?

soloscaperman
01-17-2010, 10:54 PM
I bought a 2008 Exmark Lazer HP Kohler 27HP with a 52 deck as a left over model a year ago for $7,000 which kick a**. I don't like the dealer that I bought it from (Personal reasons) and its hard to find an Exmark dealer near by. I love my other dealer which warrants my stuff even though it was months late. But he only sells BOBCAT, HUSQ, REDMAX.

Does anyone have a BOBCAT PRO ZTR? Am I downgrading? Just that with the dealer he has been good to me and I would love to deal with just him. He doesn't work on Exmarks just the Bobcat & HUSQVARNA. The people there are like family.

I also like the Kawa motors better then the Kohlers. The price he gave me on some were pretty high but I want at least a 54 or 60 inch.

I love Exmarks but I truly believe in dealer support. I have never ask for advice on mowers but everybody has a first.

milo
01-17-2010, 11:20 PM
hi yes bobcats great mowers. if i rated mowers id give hustler, exmark and scag a 10.. bobcat a 9.5.. they are right up with the best..

soloscaperman
01-17-2010, 11:24 PM
How are the bobcats in wet grass or thick dewey grass?

I just don't want downtime. I wish I had two mowers but I can't afford two at once just yet.

DLAWNS
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Bobcat mowers, that's not to say they're bad...that's just my opinion, but I hear ya on dealer support....that is a very important thing and you need to deal with a dealer that treats you right.

Hawg City Lawns
01-18-2010, 12:11 AM
whats wrong with a new husqvarna?

topsites
01-18-2010, 03:04 AM
I just don't want downtime.

Oh...
I'm afraid they might be all out of those.

Roger
01-18-2010, 07:12 AM
You have made a bad assumption, namely needing to make trips to the dealer to support your Exmark.

I bought an Exmark in 1996, and have made a single trip to the dealer once during the off season for only a few of the years since 1996. It has been now at least six years since I've been to the dealer.

I bought a John Deere ZTR three seasons ago. I've been to the dealer a couple of times during the off season to get maintenance parts.

You have a machine that probably has 3,000 service hours available. How much do you create each year? If 600, you have five seasons worth of service before needing to spend more money. If 300, you have ten seasons worth of service. Buying a new machine for the sake of buying a new machine sounds like a wasted exercise, spending money that could be used for other new equipment. Turning over a machine like this with a large capital expense frequently is not necessary, and makes the cost of doing business higher. Use what you have until it needs to be retired. Nothing in the OP discusses reasons to buy a new machine because of quality of cut, maintenance, misfit for requirements.

Charles
01-18-2010, 07:20 AM
You have made a bad assumption, namely needing to make trips to the dealer to support your Exmark.

I bought an Exmark in 1996, and have made a single trip to the dealer once during the off season for only a few of the years since 1996. It has been now at least six years since I've been to the dealer.

I bought a John Deere ZTR three seasons ago. I've been to the dealer a couple of times during the off season to get maintenance parts.

You have a machine that probably has 3,000 service hours available. How much do you create each year? If 600, you have five seasons worth of service before needing to spend more money. If 300, you have ten seasons worth of service. Buying a new machine for the sake of buying a new machine sounds like a wasted exercise, spending money that could be used for other new equipment. Turning over a machine like this with a large capital expense frequently is not necessary, and makes the cost of doing business higher. Use what you have until it needs to be retired. Nothing in the OP discusses reasons to buy a new machine because of quality of cut, maintenance, misfit for requirements.

I agree with that Roger and anybody can work on Kohlers and get parts for them. No problems here with my Exmark and I am approaching 3000 hrs. He will lose money if he sells the machine.

ALC-GregH
01-18-2010, 08:19 AM

Mowerbrad should heed your advise too.

greenbaylawns
01-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Oh...
I'm afraid they might be all out of those.

Thanks for the early morning laugh. I don't think I could swith from an exmark.

MikeKle
01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Some people prefer Kawi, some prefer Kohler, its kinda like the old Chevy vs. ford thing, its just a matter of preference, they both make great engines. All the exmarks Ive owned have never had any major problems.

chathamvahere
01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't get rid of that Exmark, you will regret it, use it and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!

slamjamrockinman
01-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd have to agree man, no sense in getting rid of that. How much do you really go to your dealer? That machine probably won,t require much more than preventative maintenance, do it yourself and save. Procut adresses the dealer issue in one of his threads, he basically says try to avoid them if you can. Online parts are a great way to avoid dealers also.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawnut101
01-18-2010, 10:40 AM
I like Bobcat. I have an excellent dealer that stands behind their product. With that being said, I like one of our local Exmark dealers too. There are a few Exmark dealers I would never go to though. I think Bobcat gives you more of a value. But I think Exmark is doing some really good things with their machines. Just my observations. With that said, I wouldn't take a big hit like you are going to. Look around for another dealer that will appreciate your business.

brucec32
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Well, I've had Exmark Z's since 1998. In that time period, I've had to take a mower in for a problem just once. The dealer had problems (competency and employee attitudes) on that repair and it was a real hassle for a while, but they eventually made things right and I appreciated that. It did nearly run me from the brand as well, but I stuck with it and in the 6 years since, there have been zero visits to a dealer for any reason and no issues beyond simple things I could fix myself (broken pump belts, etc). With internet and mail order parts, the rationale for driving over to a dealer (45min away) isn't what it used to be.

So, even with an honest dealer, and a good brand of mower, and I still had a problem. But just one in 11 years. For parts needed from time to time I either go aftermarket (when possible) or pick up the phone and have the dealer ship it to me. You can have that done from any dealer, no matter where they are located.

My point is that I'd rather have a good mower that cuts as good as possible, is reliable, and works how I need it to work, than to have a lesser machine with a good dealer. Because even good dealers can foul up sometimes, and with a good solid machine you shouldn't be seeing much of your dealer anyway. I haven't stood in my Exmark dealership personally since 2003, though I have ordered a few parts.

I'm not saying that other brand is inferior, but for my specific needs, it would be a step down. But my needs are definitely more precise than most, especially those up north where you don't have to have a mower that contours perfectly at 1.5". I also own a different brand ZTR that was a very good buy, but I have to admit that for some uses it is not as good.

Make dealer quality a factor in the decision, but I wouldn't change mowers because of it. And I'm sure you realize that you lose a good bit on any trade or selling your machine and buying a new one.

soloscaperman
01-18-2010, 02:25 PM
WOW I see how strong you guys feel about Exmark. It's just that that the other dealer would give me a mower to use(Loaner) if I bought a Bobcat ZTR or HUSQ and it ever broke down . I wished he sold Exmark. My trimmer had a problem and it was 3 months out of warranty and he gave me a loaner for a week and everything was free. He really cares about my business because what my old boss did to me and he said he was in my shoes at one time. He hates him also LOL. He knows him personally and wants me to prove to him.

The Exmark dealer which I heard horror stories that if you not a big shot he will put your mower last on the list and some guys waited a month or more to have there mower fixed. I hate his son that works there also. We never got along in highschool.

You guys always pound in my head that dealer is always important, is it true?? I wish I had a backup mower so I wouldn't be bi**** on this thread if I should sell my mower and buy a bobcat with way better support and maybe have money left over. I have about 120 hours on my new Exmark and I just love the machine and the women customers say it is a sexy machine.

Scagmower48
01-18-2010, 02:45 PM
WOW I see how strong you guys feel about Exmark. It's just that that the other dealer would give me a mower to use(Loaner) if I bought a Bobcat ZTR or HUSQ and it ever broke down . I wished he sold Exmark. My trimmer had a problem and it was 3 months out of warranty and he gave me a loaner for a week and everything was free. He really cares about my business because what my old boss did to me and he said he was in my shoes at one time. He hates him also LOL. He knows him personally and wants me to prove to him.

The Exmark dealer which I heard horror stories that if you not a big shot he will put your mower last on the list and some guys waited a month or more to have there mower fixed. I hate his son that works there also. We never got along in highschool.

You guys always pound in my head that dealer is always important, is it true?? I wish I had a backup mower so I wouldn't be bi**** on this thread if I should sell my mower and buy a bobcat with way better support and maybe have money left over. I have about 120 hours on my new Exmark and I just love the machine and the women customers say it is a sexy machine.

Why did you just keep your WB and buy the ZTR, or did you need the money to purchase the ZTR. Seems to me you should have saved up a little more and kept the WB and bought the ZTR

brucec32
01-18-2010, 02:56 PM

You will take a huge bath on a nearly new Exmark Z, even though they are good resellers. All that sales tax is gone, plus the next buyer is going to want a good deal to risk buying a used machine. I'd say you're down at least $1500 vs its "true" value to you if you sell it privately, and more than that if you trade it in.

Consider taking that extra money you'd pay to go to a new different mower and find yourself a workable backup machine. Quality 48-52" wb's are in great abundance and gear drives are quite cheap. Hydros are not too bad if you buy them off-season. $1,000-$2500 will have you set up.

Then worst case you wind up using a less effective walk behind for a week or so while they fix your ztr. But more likely that backup will rarely if ever get used as a backup. You will, however, now have a machine for rainy days and soft conditions that your ZTR wouldn't handle w/o damaging turf. And depending on your trailer size, you may want a decent sized wb anyway for potential customers who don't like ZTRs and smaller lawns where the constant turning would damage turf.

Grass Shark
01-18-2010, 05:04 PM
I would buy a cheap 48" beater walk behind for a backup and keep the exmark, it will probly be cheaper to buy a walk behind then the money you will lose selling that exmark to be replace by a lower quality machine.

Scagmower48
01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
I would buy a cheap 48" beater walk behind for a backup and keep the exmark, it will probly be cheaper to buy a walk behind then the money you will lose selling that exmark to be replace by a lower quality machine.

This is basically what I was getting at. He sold his potential backup machine already. You can find a decent belt drive walk behind for 800-1000 bucks. This can get you through a week or two if your machine goes down. You can also target gated yards with this machine since your ZTR won't get into these.

soloscaperman
01-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Scag and turf shark I guess it comes to that. Makes sense because you never know if you get a tight lawn that you may need a 48 beater. I will try and find one this summer that needs work and spend my time because if I sell my Exmark I will take a hit. Thanks for the advice. Every smart landscaper has two of everything. Just it would suck using a 48 walker as a back up on my huge lawns that are all together and most don't have tree's so the heat will burn me up; but yet again its better then sittin home waiting for my mower to be fixed.

Scagmower48
01-18-2010, 10:44 PM
KEEP the exmark. Buy the bobcat the next time around, or better yet buy a back up machine at this dealer. Maybe that have a used WB or buy a new 36 or 48 belt wb. You are going to take a large hit if you sell the exmark. Take care of it and it will take care of you. YES you will have minor problems no matter what you do, but you should be good for 2000-2500 hours with no BIG problems.

That camaro that you have in your sig would sure pay for a nice walkbehind.:waving:

soloscaperman
01-19-2010, 01:57 AM
KEEP the exmark. Buy the bobcat the next time around, or better yet buy a back up machine at this dealer. Maybe that have a used WB or buy a new 36 or 48 belt wb. You are going to take a large hit if you sell the exmark. Take care of it and it will take care of you. YES you will have minor problems no matter what you do, but you should be good for 2000-2500 hours with no BIG problems.

That camaro that you have in your sig would sure pay for a nice walkbehind.:waving:

Thanks guys, I will look at a used bobcat walker at my fav dealer. I would never sell the camaro she has been through a lot even girls, LOL. That car would buy me another nice new ZTR though.

STIHL GUY
01-19-2010, 11:11 AM
i bought my bobcat off of craigslist and i get it serviced at my dealer that doesnt even sell bobcat. the dont mind.

soloscaperman
01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
i bought my bobcat off of craigslist and i get it serviced at my dealer that doesnt even sell bobcat. the dont mind.

Yeah but when it comes to warranty work or major repairs either one the dealer has to be certified to work on that brand. Basic stuff any dealer would do.