PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of dropping my man purse

Swampy
01-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Been looking for a while at older New Hollands. I've run the chit out of a LX865 before, very capiable machines. Still hesitant that snow season is pretty much locked. addvice?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Holland-LX885-Turbo-Diesel-Skid-Steer-Loader_W0QQitemZ260537447137QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSkid_Steel_Loaders?hash=item3ca93df2e1

nedly05
01-18-2010, 05:41 AM
The price seems ok but man thats a lot of hours on a skid.

DeereMan85
01-18-2010, 07:23 AM

Really? I have customers who put that many hours on in a year.

Junior M
01-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Its a decent amount of hours, but in no way alot of hours.. Atleast not imo..

Dirtman2007
01-18-2010, 08:04 AM

3360 hrs in a year?!?! I feel bad for that poor operator:laugh:

Ozz
01-18-2010, 04:02 PM

Yep.

The old NH machines were pretty tippy,but for snow I think you'd be okay.

DeereMan85
01-18-2010, 04:19 PM

These are dairy farms with 2 or 3 shifts of mostly immigrant workers. Most of the hours are put on just driving back and forth in the barns, pushing feed, scraping manure, or loading sand. Pays about 10 bucks an hour, plus maybe free rent on an old trailer house if you're lucky. So yeah, definitely not a fun job in my book. They're always hiring if you're interested, though. I'd put in a good word for you. :laugh:

nedly05
01-18-2010, 04:19 PM

You sure have some busy ass customers!

Its a decent amount of hours, but in no way alot of hours.. Atleast not imo..

It is to me, but thats just imo.

nedly05
01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
These are dairy farms with 2 or 3 shifts of mostly immigrant workers. Most of the hours are put on just driving back and forth in the barns, pushing feed, scraping manure, or loading sand. Pays about 10 bucks an hour, plus maybe free rent on an old trailer house if you're lucky. So yeah, definitely not a fun job in my book. They're always hiring if you're interested, though. I'd put in a good word for you. :laugh:

If it's a deere skid with that many hours in a year, I'd hate to think of how many road service calls they have:laugh:!

DeereMan85
01-18-2010, 04:25 PM
If it's a deere skid with that many hours in a year, I'd hate to think of how many road service calls they have:laugh:!

I think you must have gotten a lemon. These things are the epitome of "rode hard and put away wet," and they rarely have as much trouble in a few thousand hours as you've had with yours in a few hundred.

nedly05
01-18-2010, 05:00 PM
My Father has run Deere his whole time in business, and my Grandfather did before him. We have had great luck with Deere up until the 410G and the 317. I really hated the 317 and I am glad its gone! The 410G is a really nice machine, but we bought it because we were starting to have trouble with the D model, the G model has already caused us more agrivation than the D ever did. No joke!
I have always loved Deere equipment, but I am sceptical to say the least about buying any more. We just replaced the alternator on our 444H, I spent the better part of an hour at the parts desk, they assured me it was the right part and it would be at the shop the next day. It was there alright, in the form of a started that looked like it went on a mid 90's 992. So I called, they had the alternator sent and gave me a UPS label to send the started back. The alternator they sent was wrong. So I called again and they found what they needed IN STOCK!!!!! I could have brought it home the first time. Also, getting parts for the 410G is a major PITA due to a serial number split in the middle of the series, usually takes two tries to get the right stuff for that too. If our experience with Deere had been the same as last 40 years it would be great, but all of the new stuff really seems to a mess.

NOW back to skid steers.

3300 hours may not be that many, but I wouldn't buy it myself. We try to keep our fleet fairly low hour (not that low hour means low problem) The price seems decent, But me myself would be leary of that many hours on a skid.

DeereMan85
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
My Father has run Deere his whole time in business, and my Grandfather did before him. We have had great luck with Deere up until the 410G and the 317. I really hated the 317 and I am glad its gone! The 410G is a really nice machine, but we bought it because we were starting to have trouble with the D model, the G model has already caused us more agrivation than the D ever did. No joke!
I have always loved Deere equipment, but I am sceptical to say the least about buying any more. We just replaced the alternator on our 444H, I spent the better part of an hour at the parts desk, they assured me it was the right part and it would be at the shop the next day. It was there alright, in the form of a started that looked like it went on a mid 90's 992. So I called, they had the alternator sent and gave me a UPS label to send the started back. The alternator they sent was wrong. So I called again and they found what they needed IN STOCK!!!!! I could have brought it home the first time. Also, getting parts for the 410G is a major PITA due to a serial number split in the middle of the series, usually takes two tries to get the right stuff for that too. If our experience with Deere had been the same as last 40 years it would be great, but all of the new stuff really seems to a mess.

NOW back to skid steers.

3300 hours may not be that many, but I wouldn't buy it myself. We try to keep our fleet fairly low hour (not that low hour means low problem) The price seems decent, But me myself would be leary of that many hours on a skid.

It sounds like your dealer might be the real problem - don't throw Deere under the bus just because your dealer sucks. Are there any other dealers close by?

nedly05
01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
It sounds like your dealer might be the real problem - don't throw Deere under the bus just because your dealer sucks. Are there any other dealers close by?

Im not throwing Deere under the bus because the dealer sucks, I'm dissapointed in our last two purchases and I think I have perfectly good reason to be. Deere has made obtaining the parts a bit tougher though with all of the serial number splits and so forth. There are plenty of guys around with Deere equipment that are having great luck with there equipment. Nortrax owns the local dealership, and they have all but closed the store. If you were me and you had the trouble we had with out last two Deere machines wouldnt you have a bad taste in your mouth?

DeereMan85
01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Im not throwing Deere under the bus because the dealer sucks, I'm dissapointed in our last two purchases and I think I have perfectly good reason to be. Deere has made obtaining the parts a bit tougher though with all of the serial number splits and so forth. There are plenty of guys around with Deere equipment that are having great luck with there equipment. Nortrax owns the local dealership, and they have all but closed the store. If you were me and you had the trouble we had with out last two Deere machines wouldnt you have a bad taste in your mouth?

Yeah, I didn't mean that you're being unreasonable. I just think it sounds like your problems are with the dealer more than Deere - which is a perfectly good reason to be upset with your purchase, although not necessarily something Deere can do anything about. Your parts department should know what you have and, if they don't, to know when a serial split makes a difference and when they need to ask for your serial number. If you don't know your serial number, they can easily look it up for you. They may make it sound like a big deal, but it really takes very little effort on their part. I know that Deere occasionally makes a bad machine, just like anyone else. It's unfortunate for you that you happened to get two of them at the same time. Coupled with the problems with your dealer, it can be extremely frustrating, and I too would be upset.

nedly05
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean that you're being unreasonable. I just think it sounds like your problems are with the dealer more than Deere - which is a perfectly good reason to be upset with your purchase, although not necessarily something Deere can do anything about. Your parts department should know what you have and, if they don't, to know when a serial split makes a difference and when they need to ask for your serial number. If you don't know your serial number, they can easily look it up for you. They may make it sound like a big deal, but it really takes very little effort on their part. I know that Deere occasionally makes a bad machine, just like anyone else. It's unfortunate for you that you happened to get two of them at the same time. Coupled with the problems with your dealer, it can be extremely frustrating, and I too would be upset.

Just to clarify the service dept was always very accomodating in getting us back up and running, I have absolutely no issues with the service guys . The parts thing is a PITA though. I went out and wrote all of our serial numbers down, and have them pinned to the wall near the phone so now when I call I can give them the serial number and eliminate any confusion.

stuvecorp
01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Just to clarify the service dept was always very accomodating in getting us back up and running, I have absolutely no issues with the service guys . The parts thing is a PITA though. I went out and wrote all of our serial numbers down, and have them pinned to the wall near the phone so now when I call I can give them the serial number and eliminate any confusion.

My parts and service guys have my serial numbers in their system and makes getting stuff so much easier.

ksss
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
My parts and service guys have my serial numbers in their system and makes getting stuff so much easier.

Ditto..........these guys are very subtle. Like "Kaiser don't you have a couple series 3's? Ahhhh no. "oh I thought you updated and we had the old info in the computer"................Ahhhh no Your right and I am being a tight ass./

nedly05
01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Must be a power tan thing??? Theres a power tan dealer about 1.5 hrs away. Something to think about.

stuvecorp
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I got the 440S3 from another dealer but was in getting the lift cover guards at my regular dealer and the service manager went in and updated everything. What a nice guy, if only the sales were that good.

Swampy
01-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Yep.

The old NH machines were pretty tippy,but for snow I think you'd be okay.

Really I've never thought they where to tippy, (talking 865) unless you where loading it forwards, but where pretty stable loading trucks even on hillsides. It seems to me that the longer wheelbase helps out.

I've ran Bobcats for the Army before, I'm not impressed at all. To me they are very weak machines, underpowered, and a lot more tippy then a NH will ever be. They also fell real jerky and sloppy in the controls. The real only plus I see out of them is cost, they are cheap in upfront cost plus parts are readily available. Overall wouldn't be a bad opition, just have to look for something higher than a 60hp to compensate to it being underpowered and overtime with expirence handle the jerkiness.

But anyways I feel the need that a 60hp machine would be optimal for me, plus being a first time buy (used under/around $10,000). I need it for loading, material handling, spreading, and mixing material during the summertime. In winter I'd like the 2spd for plowing light snow and roading from account to account.

stuvecorp
01-20-2010, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't knock a NH, have a warm fuzzy spot for them. They sold enough of them up here. I wonder if the 985's are decently priced? I would just try to get as low houred as possible.

Swampy
01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't knock a NH, have a warm fuzzy spot for them. They sold enough of them up here. I wonder if the 985's are decently priced? I would just try to get as low houred as possible.

I'm thinking that I should just hold on the cash a little longer, and look more into a lower hour machine. My old boss called me seeing if I'd want to pick up his Lx865, its older but lower hours (around 1700 if I can recall) no 2spd but "can't have everything". He's been eyeing up a LS190 for years. Its not big hurry to spend the money, just don't want sitting on the sidelines when the economy picks up and inflation goes through the roof.