PDA

View Full Version : Onsite Mulch Transport

crhoades68
01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm planning on selling much more mulch this year so am curious about the following.

1. How you get mulch to the customer's site?

2. Once onsite how do you transport it to the mulching location(s)?

I have a personal trailer/wagon (6' x 4') that I have outfitted with sides for home use (pick up debris and haul mulch, etc.) Does anyone use something similar or do you just use wheelbarrows or something much pricier?

Thanks for your feedback!

martinslandscaping
01-18-2010, 05:18 PM
we use 1 ton dumps

lawnboy852
01-18-2010, 05:47 PM
I put a big "commercial" duty plastic tote on the deck of my walkbehind and strap it down with stretch cords. The totes are cheap enough to be easily replaced, and durable enough to not need it too often! Also its easier than using a wheelbarrow, faster, and can usually carry more. Plus it dumps pretty easily, just undo the back cords, and push it over the deck. Or if doing smaller areas, its nice to be able to fill a bucket from the large tote

xclusive
01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
We use a 1 ton dump to get to the site and either pitch fork it off or load it into wheel barrows depending on where it has to go.

clean_cut
01-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah I think a wheel barrow would work well, I like the walk behind idea, sounds neat though.

whitebp1
01-19-2010, 12:02 AM
dont take this the wrong way but since people have answered the question i would suggest you drive around town during the early part of the landscape season and watch how some of the other companies out there do it. it will give you the genral idea and then you can tweake your style from there.

echeandia
01-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I have a 16 x 7 foot open trailer with 18" sides. It can hold 7 yards of mulch easily. We trailer the mulch to the customer site and use pitch forks to fill wheelbarrows to get the mulch from the street to the beds. The only other way I have seen it done is with a blower and those were very large jobs.

jeffslawnservice
01-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Since I'm just starting out and don't have a dump yet. I use a half ton pick up, wheel barrows, pitchforks, and those wid plastic shovels. Works good for me.

CLARK LAWN
01-19-2010, 11:49 PM
on bigger jobs (more than 6 yards) i rent a bobcat mt52 i can do 10 yards in a few hours by my self.

echeandia
01-20-2010, 07:57 AM
on bigger jobs (more than 6 yards) i rent a bobcat mt52 i can do 10 yards in a few hours by my self.

Do you worry about it tearing up the lawn?

macaw
01-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Get a Loadhandler (http://powerequipmentwarehouse.com/loadhandler-m-57.html?osCsid=th20se4mc3b5hbla1u1daitua0) for your pickup.
I use a Jrco Transporter (http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=8)
for on site can use on a walk behind or ztr.

LewisLawn
01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
i simply load about 2-4 yds of mulch on trailer tow it to site park it as close to where it is going as possible then unload with pitchfork or larger scoop shovel mine happens to be metal into one of two wheelbarrows (the larger type 8 cubic ft) two wheels, i also bring along a larger plastic tub (25 gal) to carry mulch into a bed that I can't get my wheelbarrow into. If i have a job of more than 8yds I have the company that I get the mulch from deliver to site for me, the cost of delivery after 8yds is offset by the discount I get for doing commercial business through them...I also look at the time saved by their deliver and the wear and tear on my equipment is less if they haul for me, only hold up is their availability in the busier time of year. I am currently looking at a 6k 7x14 dump trailer this would then be used for mulch and leaves depending on time of year

Jays Green Daze Landscape
01-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Anybody know of a cart or something that can bolt on or be attached to a 60" ExMark?

TScapes
01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I put a big "commercial" duty plastic tote on the deck of my walkbehind and strap it down with stretch cords. The totes are cheap enough to be easily replaced, and durable enough to not need it too often! Also its easier than using a wheelbarrow, faster, and can usually carry more. Plus it dumps pretty easily, just undo the back cords, and push it over the deck. Or if doing smaller areas, its nice to be able to fill a bucket from the large tote

OMG!! Very creative... but I wonder about the productivity and it's got to be totally relevant to the job site. IMO, unless you have one of the those gas powered wheelbarrow ($3000+), you can't go wrong with a couple of good basic wheelbarrows and good ole hard labor!! If you have atleast 3 guys, you can have a "Loader", a "Runner" and a "Spreader". Or simply load your own and run it and dump it. Then come back to spread it. Once you get good at it, you'll have the spacing right and can put out a wheelbarrow as fast as you can load it!

Steiner
01-31-2010, 12:24 AM
here is my mulch transporter in all its glory....

stevenf
01-31-2010, 01:59 AM
I have two apartments that each need about 50 yards in March. My local yard can deliver 20 yards for $55.00. I am going to get them to dump it in the parking lot and I will rent a bobcat to load it into a small trailer.
I am going to build a 4x8ft dump trailer. A single electric cylinder lift or a square vertical frame with a winch to lift it up. My first plans were to use good old shovels but that just wont cut it :laugh:.

hackitdown
01-31-2010, 01:36 PM
I buy and bring 3 cu/yds in the dump insert on my pickup. At the customer site, I line up two 10 cu/ft double wheeled wheelbarrows under the dump behind the truck. I slowly tilt the dump bed, and spill and rake the mulch into the wheelbarrows. Two of us can move 3 yards roughly into position in about 30 minutes. Then I am off to buy more mulch, as my helper rakes out the first load. If I am lucky and there is good access, sometimes I back the truck right into the garden bed, and dump it in 2 or 3 piles. But that is a pretty rare event.

We clean up after with plastic shovels, and then a blower.

ED'S LAWNCARE
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
If it is under 8 yds I use my dump trailer, anything over that I get it delivered. Places I deal with If I get more than 13 yds the delivery is free. Once on side if deliverd from the supplier I have it dumped usually at the top of the drive on tarps, then just use a wheelbarrow to move it around. I switched all my wheelbarrows to the double wheel kind. I had one mulch job 6 years ago for 70 yds that I used my jd 740 with a front end loader to move it around the house.

irish01ed
02-01-2010, 09:53 PM
If you want to move alot of mulch fast rent a powerbuggy (generally under $100 for a day). They are stand on dump carts that make moving mulch pretty quick (good if you have alot of parkinglot islands or beds all over). Also if ground isnt too soft the go across the grass with minimal damage. You can then work from them or dump and spread or transfer into wheelbarrows for larger beds. Also the double wheeled wheelbarrows make for an easier job.

In case you dont know what a power buggy is they are the things alot of concrete contractors use to move concrete mix around a site with

clean_cut
02-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm thinking of building a dump, or at least a cart for my walk behind now, it sounds like a great idea for moving all types of stuff.

mike174
02-03-2010, 02:19 AM
If it is under 8 yds I use my dump trailer, anything over that I get it delivered. Places I deal with If I get more than 13 yds the delivery is free. Once on side if deliverd from the supplier I have it dumped usually at the top of the drive on tarps, then just use a wheelbarrow to move it around. I switched all my wheelbarrows to the double wheel kind. I had one mulch job 6 years ago for 70 yds that I used my jd 740 with a front end loader to move it around the house.

My local yard delivers for free, so for my larger mulch jobs (10 - 20 yards) I just have them dump & I pitch fork/wheelbarrow to the beds.

Nickcon404
02-27-2010, 10:46 AM
I buy and bring 3 cu/yds in the dump insert on my pickup. At the customer site, I line up two 10 cu/ft double wheeled wheelbarrows under the dump behind the truck. I slowly tilt the dump bed, and spill and rake the mulch into the wheelbarrows. Two of us can move 3 yards roughly into position in about 30 minutes. Then I am off to buy more mulch, as my helper rakes out the first load. If I am lucky and there is good access, sometimes I back the truck right into the garden bed, and dump it in 2 or 3 piles. But that is a pretty rare event.

We clean up after with plastic shovels, and then a blower.

Yep! That is how I do it also. A lot quicker than picking it up off the ground. Gotta love the wide open spots where you can just dump it in the beds too!

hackitdown
02-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Yep! That is how I do it also. A lot quicker than picking it up off the ground. Gotta love the wide open spots where you can just dump it in the beds too!

Shoveling mulch up from the ground into a wheelbarrow is tough work. It is slow, too. I could do 1 yard per hour per guy that way...max.

Dump trucks or inserts are the best way to go if you plan to do a lot of mulch. But they cost $$.

We do 30 or 40 mulch jobs per season, so it was worth every penny.

SNAPPER MAN
02-28-2010, 12:06 AM
We do it the good ole fashion way with wheelbarrows and shovels. We load my 20' trailer down with about 18 yards of mulch and shovel and wheelbarrow it all. The way we do it for big jobs is have one guy shoveling and the other two running wheelbarrows dumping it in the beds. Once the trailer is unloaded two guys go and spread all the mulch while the driver goes and gets another load (if necessary).

corey4671
02-28-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm actually thinking about one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Agri-Fab-500-Pound-Poly-Convertible-45-0345/dp/B0007UQ2SM

I have a tow hitch on my 34" stand on mower. Could be towed and when needed used as a wheelbarrow

Hoy landscaping
02-28-2010, 01:46 PM
anyone thought of using a polaris ranger or one of those UTV's? anyone use them? im thinking about getting one for big jobs

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I haul mulch in my truck bed for small jobs of 2 or 3 yards. I might even do 2 trips if I can drive the truck to the beds and unload directly to the beds. Larger jobs it's the 7 x 12 dump trailer but I usually don't dump it, unload directly to wheel barrows rather than dump and then have to pick it up to put in wheel barrows. I might even bring my tractor and front end loader out...if so I bring that in the trailer and then run out for the mulch after I've unloaded it at the customer's property. I can just drive the tractor right up on the trailer to fill the bucket. I just make sure to alter my path so I don't trash the grass running over the same place over and over. There's always bagged mulch too..handling time tends to be less but material cost is usually higher than bulk, especially since most places that load bulk mulch are generous on their loads, heaping their one yard bucket.

mklawnman
03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I have a JD 425 lawn and garden tractor and we pull a 6' x 12' trailer with 2' sides haul about 4 yards at a time and another 8 yards fit on the dump truck. So we drive the tractor around the yard and fork it off.
I've also went to the Deere dealer and rented for $100 a day a Gator with electric dump on it, that is also very handy :D

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 10:39 AM
So we drive the tractor around the yard and fork it off.

Something about that just doesn't sound right. :laugh:

mklawnman
03-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Eh pitch fork it off?? haha Idk sounds like something a farmer would say ha

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Customer: "What you doing?"

You: "Just forking off."

zMaster225
03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Anybody know of a cart or something that can bolt on or be attached to a 60" ExMark?

http://www.landscaperpro.com/convert-a-barrow-freewithallconvertiblemowersthroughaugust.aspx

Can't comment on the product because I don't own one. Looks pretty cool though!

lawnlandscape
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Dual Wheel-Wheelbarrows :)

Just don't fill them up completly when working with rock or topsoil, they like the brake :)

Assuredlandscape
03-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Dual wheelbarrows if on grass. or Dingo wont tear up lawn. Skidsteer on cement. 1 ton dump. If needed or just a pick up truck if under 2 yds.

pprop
03-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Honda Rancher ATV pulling a small trailer.