PDA

View Full Version : home show ideas?

csl
01-18-2010, 06:01 PM
so i just got a call today from the major organizaton that runs the local home and yard show. we were put on a waiting list for the last 5 years (seriously) and they asked to see some of our work. we submitted some pics and they booted someone else and let us take there place. it is a 10'x10' booth on a corner. we have done home shows in the past, but my question is to those who have done them recently or have attended them. what are the major materials people are using this year, and can you post some pics of successful booths and ideas people might not think of? i know 100 sq.' isnt huge, we usually do a small water feature, a nice paver design, and some synthetic turf. any one got some real good show stoppers? thanks for the replies!

robtown
01-18-2010, 06:35 PM
I would try to design something they wont see from someone else. they wont be able to judge quality from a booth but they can see creativity. The more complicated the better. So they dont try it themselves.
Waterfall under the capstone into a drain.
Mood lighting that changes colors.
Add wall coins.
Recessed archs in the corners.
Something that says they need you to do the job. Im sure there will be plenty of other guys there with a wall and some fake grass.........is that the sum of your talent???
good luck .
you waited 5 years to get there so dont be lame.

dclandscape
01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
we are doing our first one this year it is also a 10x10 corner. I plan on doing it all pavers with a seating wall running down the inside edges. One edge will step up to about 3' and have a sheer decent waterfall coming through it and a flat screen mounted to a wall we'll make so it will sit directly about the water feature. Plan on putting together a nice slideshow for the tv. The other seating wall will have nice framed pictures and brochures and stuff. Kind of a simple layout but will be nice with the water feature.

My return question is...What do you use to keep the pavers in?

Landscapes8988
01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
this was our first booth.... after seeing the economy fall we decided to get involved with the trade show. Great results.... this was 10'x20'

csl
01-18-2010, 09:59 PM
we have done them the past 3 years, but different shows, this one is very hard to get into. we also do high end fencing and gates, so i am going to try and incorporate a nice gate and entry along one on the sides to drive traffic in. a friend also owns a very high end wood shop, so i am going to try to get him to do a custom carved bridge that will direct traffic from the paver walkway to a seating area across the water feature. thanks for the help so far.

Landscapes8988
01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
with only a 10x10 things are limited... but i have seen some creative things in small spaces!

csl
01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
such as.......

JRSlawn
01-20-2010, 12:56 AM
I would love to see more pics of what the guys on the site have done in the past. I am doing a feature garden this year at our show my area that I am in charge of is 30x35 I am trying to come up with a design as we speak. The other guys who do the features at this show do some pretty crazy stuff to say the least I think the one guy last year had a 15k countertop water feature that is right a counter top that had water running threw it.

ANC Stone Creations
01-20-2010, 05:50 AM
One thing to consider is to keep your booth somewhat close to what your target customers are able to afford.

For Example:
The waterfall running thru a counter top sounds pretty sweet! but, back to reality 15k ?how many people do you think actually bought one? my guess would be maybe one, because anything is possible.

I would incorporate many different things ie: water feature, patio, small wall, lighting and plantings just to mention a few.

Check us out online at www.ancstonecreations.webs.com for some water feature ideas that are very easy to install in just a couple of hours!

If you have any questions email me direct at anc_stonecreations@yahoo.com

csl
01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
so i talke to a local supplier that we do a lot of business with. we came up with a floor plan that i am laying out in CAD and they are letting me "borrow" a very high end bbq for a kitchen display, a gas fire pit, low volt lighting, and all the pond materials we need for our water feature. a local stone supplier is letting us use all the newest paver and retaining block in our display, and we are working with another supplier to get some larger rock and boulders to build in. also, a friend of mine just purchased a lumber mill that mills down recycled wood, like from old schools, etc. and we are going to build a pergola to extend over the booth. thanks for the suggestions, anything else also helps.

JRSlawn
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
I think he sold 2.

rokko17
02-04-2010, 12:27 PM
We just finished one . What seems to work best is pavers on the floor (and maybe a freestanding wall and columns , at able to set cards and a photo album on, one or two comfortable chairs a backdrop like black fabric and lots of pictures of your work. I had smaller ones but will go with some 12 inches plus in width (not sure what standard sizes are). I will have some designs I have drawn along with finished pictures. We had an arbor built as well and that leads to a lot of patio work. I sub all my arbors out and had the contractor work the booth as well. If you do that, build tha arbor taller and use 8X8 posts, it is a much more dramatic look. I have done large pots in the past with tall plants like bamboo in them.

There are only a few who do large elaborate booths. These seem to be the pond specialty firms. I think customers want to see your work and not what you can do in a 10X10.

kootoomootoo
02-04-2010, 01:03 PM
you just finished one....

how was attendance?
generate many real leads..not dreamers?

Paradise Landscapes
02-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Seeing the wall material and pavers, Wouldn't it help out if a supplier advertized thier product while the LCO is there to market his/her company? Or Would this create a problem with customer going arround the LCO?

SoDak
02-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Here's a video of a show I did last year. It's not the best quality because I had to compress the file size to be able to show it hear.

SoDak
02-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Check this thread out.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262727&page=4