PDA

View Full Version : Best Headset For Tunes While Mowing??

ProcsLC
01-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Any thoughts? I go through 3-5 headphones.. MP3 players... and what not, each season...either not loud enough, or they get broken... Anyone have good luck with a certain type for durability and capable of hearing them without looking like your gonna land a plane somewhere?

flatlander42
01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I look like I am gonna help land a plane. They do work the best for me, for now. This next summer I will look into the aoSafety in ear plugs tho.

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-99014-Blockade-Isolating/dp/B001HVC8QU

ProcsLC
01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Awesome, thats the kind of input I am looking for here... Appreciate it!

ALC-GregH
01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Awesome, thats the kind of input I am looking for here... Appreciate it!

I find the use of that word ironic. If you DID "look" for what you originally asked about, this post wouldn't be here.

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=4545205

jbell36
01-18-2010, 10:22 PM
i'm in the same position, i either blow or lose about 3 or so sets a season...my only problem is i am limited to what i can use because i use and iphone and dont want to lose the "remote" ability to answer a call or skip to the next song...so with the research i have done i came up with a few diff brands that can handle more power so they wont blow and i wont lose those options...one of the brands was skullkandy or some **** like that, among others, i would check those out...these are the small earbuds like the typical apple headphones

jbell36
01-18-2010, 10:37 PM
the v-modas were another good option, had to look them up...at the apple store they are $120 or something and ebay they are $30...might be a different model so not sure on the price but i would definitely look into these

clean_cut
01-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah, some people do need to learn how to use the search feature, but he's new, so we don't want to be too mean to him. :)

I'm sure that were all guilty of posting things without searching before, at least he isn't asking for the time again, lol.

rcslawncare
01-19-2010, 02:00 AM
Man, that thread had a lot, or all the info you were LOOKING for!! But, I use the AO Worktunes. Resection is spotty. but the noise reduction is very good.

Big C
01-19-2010, 02:04 AM
the v-modas were another good option, had to look them up...at the apple store they are $120 or something and ebay they are $30...might be a different model so not sure on the price but i would definitely look into these

Stay away from v-moda....they sound great but will last about 2-3 monthes (and that's not using them while mowing) the wires get frayed and start to split and these were the ones I bought at the apple store not the knock-offs on ebay...Someone warned me about them but I didn't listen (read the online reviews about them, everyone has the same complaints). For everyday use while mowing I would try the Skull Candy for around $30-70$...they are alot more durable and sound good too.

Lazer_Z
01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Stay away from v-moda....they sound great but will last about 2-3 monthes (and that's not using them while mowing) the wires get frayed and start to split and these were the ones I bought at the apple store not the knock-offs on ebay...Someone warned me about them but I didn't listen (read the online reviews about them, everyone has the same complaints). For everyday use while mowing I would try the Skull Candy for around $30-70$...they are alot more durable and sound good too. I agree, I love my Skull Candy ear buds, but those prices are insane here's a set on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Skull-Candy-S2INBT-FZ-Skullcandy-Earbuds/dp/B000Q74102/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263908987&sr=8-1

Here they are in Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Skullcandy+-+Ink%27d+Stereo+Ear+Bud+Headphones+-+Black/Chrome/9251098.p?id=1218072202612&skuId=9251098&st=skull%20candy

JayD
01-19-2010, 09:38 AM
I have the same problem with radio stations not always picking up. I have been wanting to buy a digital one because my dial one just gets knocked of channel to much.
But after reading all the reviews on them in that amazon, not to sure I want to spend the money if the stations don't always come in. I have to say though, I think I bought mine from Menard's (hardware store) and I have used them for three years now while mowing and they still work. The funny thing is I sweat like a pig and my ears sweat badly while I have them on, so bad that I have to stop once in a while and take them off and turn them and watch the sweat pour right out of them. The point to me saying this is that They keep working even after getting soaked with sweat.

STIHL GUY
01-19-2010, 11:00 AM
i use AOSafety work tunes as well. they cancel out much of the mower noise and sound quality is good too

rcslawncare
01-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I have the same problem with radio stations not always picking up. I have been wanting to buy a digital one because my dial one just gets knocked of channel to much.
But after reading all the reviews on them in that amazon, not to sure I want to spend the money if the stations don't always come in. I have to say though, I think I bought mine from Menard's (hardware store) and I have used them for three years now while mowing and they still work. The funny thing is I sweat like a pig and my ears sweat badly while I have them on, so bad that I have to stop once in a while and take them off and turn them and watch the sweat pour right out of them. The point to me saying this is that They keep working even after getting soaked with sweat.

Same here, it gets annoying after awhile. But beats the headache on the way home after a day without them. I always bring a hand towel for stuff like that

JayD
01-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Same here, it gets annoying after awhile. But beats the headache on the way home after a day without them. I always bring a hand towel for stuff like that

Yeah, me too. I'm just amazed that they still work after 3 years of it..

rcslawncare
01-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I only got a season on mine, thats good news for me! I just wish the reception was better. I have to listen to three different stations depending on where in at during the day.

greenred
01-19-2010, 12:41 PM
http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-99014-Blockade-Isolating/dp/B001HVC8QU

These are awesome. I dont cut grass or clean house with out them. They are also great for removing that hard to get ear wax, but I think they come by that accidentally.

PORTER 05
01-19-2010, 12:43 PM
i just use the ipod mini, its like $50 and i buy a $20 pair of Sony earphones.

dwost
01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
www.shure.com

hackitdown
01-19-2010, 02:10 PM
I use WorkTunes, I buy them at Lowes. I plug my iPod into them, and it sounds great. The radio reception is only so-so. They seem to last me 2 seasons.

rcslawncare
01-19-2010, 03:13 PM
I have done the iPod idea and it works very well. I just don't like the cord hanging down, I need a arm band kind of deal. Might need to look into that also.

millenium_123
01-19-2010, 09:58 PM
I have done the iPod idea and it works very well. I just don't like the cord hanging down, I need a arm band kind of deal. Might need to look into that also.

Try putting the cord down your shirt. Thats what I do with my ipod. Works alot better than have it hanging down getting caught on everything.

DEEJ
01-20-2010, 01:44 PM
I use the Worktunes also, mostly because I have always used Peltor hearing protection, so it was a natural progression to use their protection with tunes.

I have had various versions of the yellow ones that have different hearing protection abilities. It annoys me that they have versions that look almost identical, but offer different protection!

I have no issues with reception where I am - they work just great - all except the cheapest pair I got from Lowes - look almost the same but total crap tuner for some reason. I do hit the tuning knob and knock them off station periodically - very annoying. I will be changing to the grey model with the digital tuner and 26dB hearing protection.

I see and read about many folks who put an iPOD headset in their ears and feel they are getting hearing protection. Nothing could be farther from the truth. An iPOD turned up loud enough to overcome the sound of the mower is probably doing more damage than the mower noise itself, AND it is not protectiong you from any of the noise of the mower. Do yourself a favour and pay attention to the protection factor offered by true hearing protection. Headsets or iPOD ear buds ARE NOT hearing protection. They have no hearing protection rating what-so-ever. Hearing loss happens gradually and is not something I want to deal with. Do you?

Deej

Cummins343
01-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Dr. Dre's for me.:laugh:

JayD
01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I use the Worktunes also, mostly because I have always used Peltor hearing protection, so it was a natural progression to use their protection with tunes.

I have had various versions of the yellow ones that have different hearing protection abilities. It annoys me that they have versions that look almost identical, but offer different protection!

I have no issues with reception where I am - they work just great - all except the cheapest pair I got from Lowes - look almost the same but total crap tuner for some reason. I do hit the tuning knob and knock them off station periodically - very annoying. I will be changing to the grey model with the digital tuner and 26dB hearing protection.

I see and read about many folks who put an iPOD headset in their ears and feel they are getting hearing protection. Nothing could be farther from the truth. An iPOD turned up loud enough to overcome the sound of the mower is probably doing more damage than the mower noise itself, AND it is not protectiong you from any of the noise of the mower. Do yourself a favour and pay attention to the protection factor offered by true hearing protection. Headsets or iPOD ear buds ARE NOT hearing protection. They have no hearing protection rating what-so-ever. Hearing loss happens gradually and is not something I want to deal with. Do you?

Deej

I was thinking the same thing.....