PDA

View Full Version : Should I take my trimmer guard off?

Mikegyver
01-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Is it easier to edge/trim with the guard off? Will it throw more stuff out? I have a Stihl FS 130.
MCCLC

dave k
01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
No and Yes

MnDLawn
01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Trimming with the guard off sucks. Don't do it.

Mikegyver
01-18-2010, 07:22 PM
The reason I was asking is because all the crews around here do it. Why do people take it of then?
MCCLC

2brothersyardcare
01-18-2010, 07:32 PM
because edging with a guard on is a pita

TXNSLighting
01-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Leave it on. If you think its hard to edge with it, then youre not good enough to be edging with it then. ha!

I really dont know why people take em off. Thats just asking for a injury!

A Leaf Above
01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Soon i as i buy a new string trimmer i take that stupid plastic garbage off and throw it in the dumpster before i even leave the dealers parking lot.... Its always in the way ..so it goes bye bye ...I have never been injured by doing this , but thats not to say someone else cant though.

Grass Shark
01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Leave it on

clinicalengineer
01-18-2010, 07:46 PM
I used both of my old trimmers without the guards. I benefited from it when trimming around objects that the guard would catch on, however I did have a lot more debris thrown at me. Now being older and wiser, I left it on my current trimmer because i use it for edging.

a clear difference lawn
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Soon i as i buy a new string trimmer i take that stupid plastic garbage off and throw it in the dumpster before i even leave the dealers parking lot.... Its always in the way ..so it goes bye bye ...I have never been injured by doing this , but thats not to say someone else cant though.

I agree - the guard sucks.

stephen424
01-18-2010, 07:56 PM
take the guard off, imo. it really gets in the way.
if you're worried about debris flying in your face, buy one of the stihl all-in-one helmet thingys. has ear muffs, helmet and flip down mesh mask (sorta like a baseball umpire).
i wear motorcycles googles and a dust mask when i work anyway, so i get some protection from those

siclmn
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I always have and always will take the stupid things off. They make it weigh more and you can't see what you are doing.

dishboy
01-18-2010, 08:20 PM
There are many advantages to running a trimmer without a guard. Only advanced operators have the skill or insight to understand this!

BTW excellent choice on the trimmer.

razor1
01-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Take it off, you'll be glad ya-did.:dancing:

Mikegyver
01-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I wear jeans and leather shoes so if something is thrown at me so no big deal. My main concern is that it will throw more debris. I broke a $400 tinted window last year at a office building. Also I trim around a lot of parked and moving vehicles including a Porsche at the office building :(.
MCCLC

A Leaf Above
01-18-2010, 08:40 PM
You just have to use the throttle the right way and use angles to throw debris away from nice cars .. :) Piece of cake !

Creative Group Ltd.
01-18-2010, 08:45 PM

I hope you wear some thick safety glasses!

SouthSide Cutter
01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I take mine off because of weight. Just take it off then put it back on you wont believe the diff. Just because the guard is on dont mean something isnt going to thrown somewhere and break something. Pay more attention and just dont run them wide open around things that can get thrown.

MOturkey
01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I prefer to leave mine on. The guy that got me started in this business took his off, so I did too, at first, but realized the smaller guards on the newer models really aren't in the way all that much. I also hated that without the guard, if you accidentally bump the head, letting out more string, then you would often have way too much, slowing the speed way down.

A Leaf Above
01-18-2010, 08:54 PM
I take mine off because of weight. Just take it off then put it back on you wont believe the diff. Just because the guard is on dont mean something isnt going to thrown somewhere and break something. Pay more attention and just dont run them wide open around things that can get thrown.

Absolutely ...And all i wear are my sunglasses ... All you have to do is use the trimmer the way i said and you will never have a problem ..I see way too may lco"s using the trimmer going backwards , full throttle constantly ect.. Its all in the way you use your equipment which will save you money and time ..And you can be safe doing it also ..

White Gardens
01-18-2010, 09:00 PM
On or off, that is the question.

1.) Guard on. You will always have a short amount of line making it easier to scalp, and you get less control with the shorter string. With the guard on you also are protecting yourself and others around you by deflecting foreign objects before the do any harm.

2.) Guard off. You get longer line, which if you get too much you can flex the drive shafts too much and end up breaking them if they are a hollow, strait drive shaft. Not only that but you end up lugging the motor down too low, so you lose power. The plus side is that your cut is almost 4-6 inches wider allowing you to almost use your trimmer like a push mower, and get less scalping with the slower line speed. The down-side of course is the more objects that will be thrown at you and around you.

I've broken windows, split my lip with a rock, and have been nailed in the thighs with the guard off. It sucks, but I think it's worth it.

Ultimately, with my Stihl I wanted to find the best of both worlds. I wanted the convenience of running out the line as long as I wanted, but also the protection of a guard. So what I did was found a brush-cutter guard for my Stihl and removed the black skirt, and the metal line cutter. This allows the line to run just under the guard when the line is out longer and still keeps the worst of the debris down.

DuallyVette
01-18-2010, 09:08 PM

You just have to use the throttle the right way and use angles to throw debris away from nice cars .. :) Piece of cake !

Absolutely ...And all i wear are my sunglasses ... All you have to do is use the trimmer the way i said and you will never have a problem ..I see way too may lco"s using the trimmer going backwards , full throttle constantly ect.. Its all in the way you use your equipment which will save you money and time ..And you can be safe doing it also ..

Ditto....saved me some typing :)

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Take it off, run the string long, the 130 has the power, and the 130 or the 110 and the other mix-4 made by stihl like to be under a load.

If you don't believe me run it with one inch of string wide open and burn up a 500 dollar weed eater.

freshprince94
01-18-2010, 09:26 PM
I took the guard off my trimmer. I like it way better, you can run more line and fit into tighter areas.

lawnjox
01-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Guard off, uses less line, almost 1/3 less in a days work

rcslawncare
01-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I agree with the less line, idea, but that just doesn't seem worth it.

Mahoney3223
01-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Guard off...sissies have guards!!!!!!

Triplex
01-18-2010, 11:42 PM
If the guard isn't bothering you, leave it on. Last thing you need is some insurance company or OSHA person blaming you for removing a safety device if an accident happens.

I haven't had a problem with original factory shields; the only guards I used that interfered with operation of the machine were these horrible aftermarket ones at one place I worked (imagine a guard shaped like an old-fashioned Chinese hat that goes all the way around and blocks your view)! This was on a golf course; there's no way in hell an LCO would have used one of these monstrosities on his own trimmer!

DLAWNS
01-19-2010, 02:56 AM
Leave the guard on dude....the positives for taking it off just don't outweigh the negatives.

Mikegyver
01-19-2010, 09:03 AM
The guard on the FS 130 doesn't let out enough string in my opinion. I keep running out and having to bump it :( :( . What do you other stihl users think?
MCCLC

STIHL GUY
01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
i took mine off. i wear safety glasses jeans and boots so i dont wory about debris being thrown at me

greenstar lawn
01-19-2010, 01:09 PM
I take all the guards off for visibility reasons. I wear khaki shorts with work boots and you will get used to things hitting your shins. I even had mulch stuck in my shins before. To me its worth having the visibility of seeing where i am trimming. But to each his own man if, it works for you then why change. Good luck this season

vanncann
01-19-2010, 01:34 PM
If you are a laget commercial bussiness you might want to check the OSHA rules (OSHA Compliance 1310.212 I think) to see what you can remove and what you can't. I know if it came with something for safety it is not supposed to be removed. I run my line trimmer with shields the way they came out of the factory.

Mikegyver
01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Going to take it off or modify it so more string comes off. Thanks for all the info.
MCCLC

Mikegyver
01-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I am really small so no big deal.
MCCLC

Mikegyver
01-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Will taking it off or modifying it void my warranty?

razor1
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Will taking it off or modifying it void my warranty?

Not if you don't tell'em. :eek:

I've never needed the warranty anyway.

betmr
01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Guards off, check...Safety Switches disabled, check...Mow Baby Mow!!!!:hammerhead:

If you have an issue with edging w/the GUARD (and that is the operative word here), why not invest in a (drum roll please) Edger? Safety is the number one priority in this business, especially if anyone is working for you.

KathysLGC
01-19-2010, 02:59 PM
On. Used them with the guard off and on and prefer them on. Less debris thrown at you, less chance of a broken window, less chance of vibration from uneven string, less chance of prematurely wearing out the clutch...

KathysLGC
01-19-2010, 03:03 PM
I take all the guards off for visibility reasons. I wear khaki shorts with work boots and you will get used to things hitting your shins. I even had mulch stuck in my shins before. To me its worth having the visibility of seeing where i am trimming. But to each his own man if, it works for you then why change. Good luck this season

What are you looking at when your trimming the head of the weed wacker? If so, focus on what you're trimming and you'll see there's no loss of visibility with the guard on. Think the edge of the guard is the end of your string. Might help you not go through so much string by hitting things as often.

betmr
01-19-2010, 03:07 PM
I worked awhile back for Equipment Dealer. If anything came in for repair, and any safety device was removed or bypassed, I was obligated to repair that item & the owner was obligated to pay for that work.

Can you imagine the Law suit, should someone get hurt, on a machine that I knowing let leave our shop, minus safety equipment. And there is no signing off on that either. If a commercial guy bypasses safety switches 'cause they are a bother to him, he can't say just leave it, because I know, I'm Liable.

greenstar lawn
01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=betmr;3368526]I worked awhile back for Equipment Dealer. If anything came in for repair, and any safety device was removed or bypassed, I was obligated to repair that item & the owner was obligated to pay for that work.

Its not like that at weingartz(my local dealer). Why would it matter if the guard is off or on?

KathysLGC
01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Repair shops will repair almost anything. Doesn't matter to them how you use your equipment.

Lazer Cut
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I took the guard off once... was about on my 7th house and I forgot to put on glasses... which we all do sometimes... i was half way through edging this sidewalk when I went... uh oh damn put on glass... well i thought ill just finish this to the driveway then ill go get them... 5 seconds passed and a rock nailed me in the eye.

Cost me $100 co-pay for ER and another $50 in meds... cut my eye and had to wear a patch for 2 days... sucked man... couldnt see good for a month outta my eye... and I still have a haze over everything and dusk really sucks cause the way it hit it cut it like a Nike shape across the pupil and took a chuck of the eye out with it on the top of my eye which messes with my pupil when it expands... dr said nothing they can do... did finish my route before the hospital though :)

I wont take the guard off again.

rcslawncare
01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
I took the guard off once... was about on my 7th house and I forgot to put on glasses... which we all do sometimes... i was half way through edging this sidewalk when I went... uh oh damn put on glass... well i thought ill just finish this to the driveway then ill go get them... 5 seconds passed and a rock nailed me in the eye.

Cost me $100 co-pay for ER and another $50 in meds... cut my eye and had to wear a patch for 2 days... sucked man... couldnt see good for a month outta my eye... and I still have a haze over everything and dusk really sucks cause the way it hit it cut it like a Nike shape across the pupil and took a chuck of the eye out with it on the top of my eye which messes with my pupil when it expands... dr said nothing they can do... did finish my route before the hospital though :)

I wont take the guard off again.

Yeah, thats enough for me to keep my guard on. There are a lot of bigger companies that i see that run there trimmers with out the shields. O well, accidents happen...

FourTrees
01-19-2010, 04:21 PM

I agree - the guard sucks.

if you're worried about debris flying in your face, buy one of the stihl all-in-one helmet thingys. has ear muffs, helmet and flip down mesh mask (sorta like a baseball umpire).

There are many advantages to running a trimmer without a guard. Only advanced operators have the skill or insight to understand this!

Absolutely ...And all i wear are my sunglasses ...

Guard off...sissies have guards!!!!!!

i took mine off. i wear safety glasses jeans and boots so i dont wory about debris being thrown at me

Ever seen a window BLASTED out by a small rock not even at FULL throttle. I have, hits a lot like a bullet. I'm sure those safety glasses will save tou from one of those, NOT!Imagine that rock hitting the face of some kid that gets to close. I'll take all the protection I can get. I'm a sissy I suppose.

Can you imagine the Law suit, should someone get hurt, on a machine that I knowing let leave our shop, minus safety equipment. And there is no signing off on that either. If a commercial guy bypasses safety switches 'cause they are a bother to him, he can't say just leave it, because I know, I'm Liable.
Forget about him being the mechanic can you imagine your lawsuit after killing or blinding someone with a machine you altered for convenience.

I am really small so no big deal.
MCCLCEspecially if your small, how much insurance you got!

Have a nice day though!:waving:

Mikegyver
01-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Y'all are right safety first. It may be off a little for jobs like ditch cleaning etc.
THANK YOU ALL
MCCLC

jeffslawnservice
01-19-2010, 06:11 PM
I have two trimmers and one has the guard on and the other has the guard off. I like to use the one with the guard still on its an Echo SRM-210 so the guard isnt to big that I can't see but its also big enough to protect me from rocks. I always wear glasses but I have shot rocks. The worst was the rocks just hitting me. Thank God i didnt hit any cars or people. I would say to leave them on.

Mikegyver
01-19-2010, 06:15 PM
I went out and experimented this afternoon. I was clearing under fence that had not been trimmed in a year. There really was no difference in performance so the guard stays on.
MCCLC

bondman35a
01-19-2010, 06:25 PM
With the trimmer guards on I would still get hit with debris. Also, every time I would bump the head for more line, the excess line would knock clumps of grass everywhere before the line was cut. Always use safety glasses, not your fancy Oakleys, when you are working. Lastly I am not a lawyer but, if something or someone got hit with flying debris you would, no matter what caused the debris to fly, still be at fault. That is if someone got hit with something propelled by a trimmer with a guard on and intact you, the operator, would be liable. Although, the increase in the chance of debris being shot once a guard is removed can be debated.

dishboy
01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I went out and experimented this afternoon. I was clearing under fence that had not been trimmed in a year. There really was no difference in performance so the guard stays on.
MCCLC

ROFLMAO, no difference in performance. Either you have a wimpy machine, no skill, crappy line, or a combination of all these. Go to the back of the Bus , you flunk.

steve18974
01-19-2010, 09:33 PM
the other consideration is when you remove the guards you are using more line than what it was designed for .... extra load on the shaft etc etc ... could cause breakage ....

AmGreen
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
what relevance does the guard have when edging? if the weadeater is in the vertical position there is no surface area covered by the guard.

remove the guard and run a single line. edges as well as a stick edger. just doesn't look as "professional", as some will say...

Precision Cuts
01-19-2010, 11:49 PM
with out the guard is so much easier and faster.
1) instead of having to get a push mower for a little piece let 6-8 inches out and learn how to trim level.
2) if you cant tell that your trimmer is bogging down cause you have let go to much line and you need to cut some are run it against some cement then you are a rookie and need to be trimming just at home anyway.
3) yes a guard does stop objects from being thrown at your face but thats about it. rocks will still be thrown either way and with a guard it forms a suction towards you which makes more grass fly on your pants legs are wat not which causes wasted time trying to dust off before entering the vehicle
4) once you run a trimmer with out a guard long enough you will learn how to angle it to make it throw these things in certain directions away from vehicles, windows, flower beds, driveways, etc. which can also speed up your blowing time.

HARRIS Property Management
01-19-2010, 11:55 PM
I would say if you can tolerate a hit in the eye, a busted lip, an employee wanting to sue you when they get injured and dont mind flipping the bill for any property incidentals then rip those guards off. Dont short sale your liabilities over efficiencies.

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
01-20-2010, 12:21 AM
How about taking the guard off and bolting the metal plate back on. Then when you need your 130 fix they can't say "You ran it without the guard, we cam't fix it" . The plate and head will look like new underneath.

MikeKle
01-20-2010, 12:38 AM
I always take my guards off the trimmers when I buy them, but they do throw more out at you obviously, but you get used to it(kind of), easier of you wear long pants. I think it makes it easier without the guards, you can get to more quicker and with a longer string.

redmax fan
01-20-2010, 12:51 AM
ive been whipping 100 accounts per week 9 years :

- ive never ran a guard one second because it prevents me from getting into tight spaces to do good detail work . plus it makes whip heavier to carry all day

- but i admit alot of times i get tired of wearing safety glasses and when off ive got hit in eye several times , so its a bit of a gamble . but i can do such a better job with it off i take it . but i add that youve got to know the spots where to be careful from running the whip at too high of speed without a guard when its aimed directly at your eyes / face , or when your whipping a area with alot of glass / pebbles / etc

- and another thing is im running smaller cc whips than you with that big 130 , ive never ran one of them and could be if i did ide use guard because the extra power might really be flinging some projectiles

- and i do all residentail with alot of nooks and crannys wjhere detail work is important , ive not read this thread to get a better idea of your type jobs but if i was doing bigger jobs with alot of straight work and tall grass where projectiles could be hidden ide be running guard . where as on my jobs after the first time i clean them up theres very few projectiles i ever have to worry about and can just fly over the nice debris free lawns

georgiagrass
01-20-2010, 03:22 AM
It's easier to handle a trimmer with the guard off, but I won't let my guys take them off. It's there for a reason; it's safer.

stewartje
01-20-2010, 12:19 PM
I take mine off too. I can see better when I am using the trimmer as my edger. If you use it where the debris is flying out in front of you, you can stay pretty clean and not have alot of debris flying at you...of course, use your glasses and dodge the big stuff! Ha!

intimidator782
01-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I would take it off but keep it on the trailer with you. That way if you think you will need it trimming around gravel or cars or something then you will have it. I take mine off just because i like to see what im doing and think it is easier. You just have to know that a weedeater without a guard is going to throw more stuff than with it on and be as careful as you can. I have never had any real problems trimming with mine off.

betmr
01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=betmr;3368526]I worked awhile back for Equipment Dealer. If anything came in for repair, and any safety device was removed or bypassed, I was obligated to repair that item & the owner was obligated to pay for that work.

Its not like that at weingartz(my local dealer). Why would it matter if the guard is off or on?

First off, All of you guys are using the same operative word here, "Guard". What does that word mean to you? "The big piece of plastic, that holds the little thingy that cuts the string"? Or just what it is, a Safety GUARD.There are safety regulations. If I Knowingly give you a machine, with Safety guards removed or interlock switches bypassed or disabled, I become liable for injuries you may sustain. As a professional mechanic, I am supposed to be an expert, in my field and I am letting you leave with a piece of equipment, that I know is a danger to you. And that is a no,no.

Similar to a Bar serving me till I'm drunk, I drive away, have an accident & kill someone. They can be held Liable. Because they knowingly served me, until I became a Danger.

Don't believe me, let one of your employees get hurt on a machine that you altered the Safty devices on, you may not like the lesson you learn.

JB1
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
didn't know they came with them.

N.TX
01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
I broke the guard on my weedeater .....went and got a new one after 2 weeks of using it without one. I put the new guard on ...took it off 10 min later and never had one on since.
Everytime I get a new trimmer i comes off. Only reason I would keep one on is for training someone who is new.

N.TX
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I will say one other thing about the guards.....most of the newer ones are so small that they dont stop anything from hitting you anyways.

johnnybravo8802
01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
The answer is-NO!!! Safety is your main concern. If you're running a business, you have a responsibility to the public. Have you ever seen how far a trimmer will sling a piece of pea gravel. I had an F250 that I used for hauling my mowers and I used to mow a small cemetary. I started noticing chipped spots of paint all over the sides of the truck and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I finally figured out the trimmer was slinging it up when I weedeated the plots-this was with the guard still on!!!! Imagine what it's like with it off. I don't think the average person realizes how much a trimmer slings up-I don't worry about a mower as much as the trimmer. Also, it puts too many RPM's on the engine-the engineers design a machine a certain way for a certain reason. I know because I burned a piston in a clearing saw from not running a guard and the string was too long. Last, but not least, explain to your insurance that you were running w/o a guard. As far as edging-That's what an edger is for -they have guards also.

greenstar lawn
01-20-2010, 05:32 PM
The answer is-NO!!! Safety is your main concern. If you're running a business, you have a responsibility to the public. Have you ever seen how far a trimmer will sling a piece of pea gravel. I had an F250 that I used for hauling my mowers and I used to mow a small cemetary. I started noticing chipped spots of paint all over the sides of the truck and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I finally figured out the trimmer was slinging it up when I weedeated the plots-this was with the guard still on!!!! Imagine what it's like with it off. I don't think the average person realizes how much a trimmer slings up-I don't worry about a mower as much as the trimmer. Also, it puts too many RPM's on the engine-the engineers design a machine a certain way for a certain reason. I know because I burned a piston in a clearing saw from not running a guard and the string was too long. Last, but not least, explain to your insurance that you were running w/o a guard. As far as edging-That's what an edger is for -they have guards also.

As far as objects getting slung from the whipper just like someone says you learn how to angle the whipper to deter all the objects away from things. I guess i have been lucky though. But it all comes down to owners preference. Also you say it puts too many RPM's on the engine, but aren't they made to run at high RPM's? Both mine are always running open and really never had issues with them.How much string are you letting out anyways? I prob run anywhere from 6-7"(ha thats what she said)

mowerdude777
01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
I run one trimmer with a gaurd and one with out IMO it sucks to edge with out the gaurd on but you can trim a lot faster with out the gaurd

clean_cut
01-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I haven't really noticed the difference in trimming time between guard an no guard, is it just the longer string that speeds it up?

johnnybravo8802
01-20-2010, 08:54 PM
As far as objects getting slung from the whipper just like someone says you learn how to angle the whipper to deter all the objects away from things. I guess i have been lucky though. But it all comes down to owners preference. Also you say it puts too many RPM's on the engine, but aren't they made to run at high RPM's? Both mine are always running open and really never had issues with them.How much string are you letting out anyways? I prob run anywhere from 6-7"(ha thats what she said)
Well, I've been operating green equipment for almost 30 yrs. so I think I pretty much ruled out the operator side of things. In my opinion, you can't be too careful. I just try to air on the cautious side. Nobody ever got in trouble for being too careful!!!

dtc0207
01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
It will void warranty and a dealer can tell if you are lyeing plus it does cause loss of rpm if you line is to long and will ruin the clutch hope you enjoying buying new trimmer

sawinredneck
01-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Never mind the fact that it's tearing up your equipment every time you guys run out more line that it's supposed to. They are designed for the length set on the guard, when you run more than that you are putting more wear on the driveshaft, head bearings and the engine.
But I don't have to pay the bills, just listen to you complain about the repair bills!

rcslawncare
01-20-2010, 09:02 PM
My FS100 shield is very nice and not to big, I can do anything I want with it on.

JayD
01-20-2010, 11:09 PM
I aways wonder if you take it off and something happens like an eye put out, then may make for a win in a law suit........

ddixonlawncare
01-21-2010, 01:44 AM
We run stihl line trimmers in our business and use them with the quards removed. Everyone that works for me wears safety glasses, and are careful when operating the line trimmers. It is true that they do throw out more debris, but you just have to be careful and pay attention to what your doing.

It takes a little to get used to, but you can run your line a little longer, and you have increased visibility. You just have to listen to the engine to make sure the line isn't too long. We run the fs90r's and the fs100rx's and can usually get 4-5yrs on a trimmer. I really like the 130r, it is stihl best power to weight ratio trimmer, and miss mine very much. The 130r i had lasted close to 5yrs.

albhb3
01-21-2010, 02:54 AM
No b/c some of the gen. public read this and they would no doubt put out 3 ft of line. however for the civilized an extra 2inches is not going to do that much wear and tear give me a break

FourTrees
01-21-2010, 04:26 AM
Apologies for the following rant.

Oh seriously! Come on! Just call up your insurance agent and tell them you pull off safety guards on your equipment, cuzz they get in the way. See how long they keep you insured.

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN! Just say someone gets hurt from said trimmer and your insurances investigate as they will, you think they are just gonna say oh its ok we'll cover this guy and all the others out there that do this kinda thing. No! They'll fight it tooth and nail. You think OSHA can't come in and investigate an employee getting injured.

Just say some kid(employee or kid down the street) gets hit and you have removed your safety features. You think the court will listen when you stand there and say "Well judge I am sorry the kid lost his left eye, but them trimmers they flip stuff even with the guards so i just kinna figured i'd remove all that safey junk on my trimmers. ya see then the kid can get done quicker and less time spent hadnlin the dangerous quipment. An man you should see how tight a and purdy i can trimm without all that safety stuff. Ya know I been thinking bout puttin a vette engine on this here mower i got. Waddya think!"

Sure the judge will for sure look at you and say. "Wow that makes perfect sense, I'll through out the 20 million civil lawsuit, right now. Say got any openings on your route?"

OSHA will for sure say. "Naw we don't really mean it when we say you have to provide a safe environment for your employees and those around your work area. We won't be fining you, or shutting you down. Safety second, efficiency first! As we always say!"

The guards are there for a reason. SAFETY! They know these machines are dangerous, and they design them with SAFETY FEATURES.
Notice how the guards are there to protect user AND they just might protect objects/people behind the operator that he may not see immediately.

Sure accidents can and will happen regardless whether you have safety devices in place. But who will definitely lose in court when safety is ignored. Right the guy who practices safety in all areas. Or no maybe its "Them courts hate safety, its all about efficiency!"

All this talk great talk on lawnsite about being legal, having proper licenses, and insurance. Seriously!?! The second you start knowingly altering equipment and removing/disregarding safety of employees and others around you, YOU ARE NO LONGER OPERATING YOUR BUSINESS LEGALLY.

Maybe you pulled a fast on el cheap guys insurance and got them to agree in writing that your business could operate with disregard to all laws and safety features that come with purchasing and using equipment. "Manual what manual I didn't see now stinking manual."

Awe, imagine standing there saying "But I swear Mam, I am sorry your son lost an eye. But you just don't understand, them safety features just aren't effective. They slow you down, don't trim so purdy. If you dumb kid just had handled it the way i done did showed im last season he'd a been fine. By the way I ggots lottsa lawns ta mow and we are behind with all this court stuff are ya sure your son can't make it in tommora. I'mm tryin to make all the money I can fast before they shhut me down."

Just because you have been in business for blah blah blah years and had no problems does not mean that there will never come a time when your trimmer does seriously hurt someone. It has happened before, even if not to you. You will protect yourself from a serious thumping in court by being safe. The difference between an injury lawsuit were safety was ignored and you can prove you did all you could to keep everyone safe, CAN easily be the difference between bankruptcy / going out of business and living to mow another day.

But then hey, now worries right. We don't really live in a sue happy age, right?

Seriously though, I hope I have not offended anyone. I also hope none of us ever have an employee or bystander hurt by any of our equipment. I mean that. But accidents do happen more than we would like.

FourTrees
01-21-2010, 05:03 AM
I mean no insult I just believe we should practice safety in what we do.

(Sarcasm Inserted here)Just some uneducated stuff about warnings of lawn trimmers dangers from eye institutes, public safety, and um manuals for trimmers them selves. Note to lawn guys: I am sure that these dangers do not apply to the guy (or those around the guy) who is certain he knows better than the establishment how to handle a trimmer. I'm sure that guy has never even had a close call with any trimmer or such equipment. Oh how nice it would be to be that guy.
(Sarcasm ends, information begins)

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/eye-injuries-causes-of-eye-injuries-402020.html
Power tools, lawn mowers, trimmers and weed whackers all pose potential hazards to your eyes. Be sure that all of your power tools are in good condition and only operate them with the safety features engaged. You should also make sure that any rocks and debris are cleared from your lawn before mowing (so they don't get propelled into your face while cutting), and wear protective goggles when using any power equipment to shield your eyes from dust, debris, sparks, fumes and more.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3174040Ocular dangers in the garden. A new menace--nylon line lawn trimmers.

Lubniewski A, Olk RJ, Grand MG.

Department of Ophthalmology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO.

Nylon line lawn trimmers represent a source of potentially devastating ocular trauma. Five cases of ocular trauma associated with the use of line trimmers are reported. These case reports document new mechanisms and circumstances of injury, including trauma from debris other than nylon line fragments and injury to bystanders. Furthermore, injuries are often serious, with two of these patients requiring an evisceration or enucleation after endophthalmitis developed. In one patient, six different organisms were cultured and another patient exhibited an Aspergillus organism and Propionibacterium acnes. As nylon trimmers gain in popularity, they will become an increasingly frequent source of ocular injury. A retrospective 40-month review of 85 cases (87 eyes) of penetrating and perforating ocular trauma shows line trimmers to be the fifth leading cause of such injury.

http://www.eastlakecommons.org/Committees/Landscape/SRM210ES_082103%20(Echo%20SRM-210%20operators%20manual).pdf

• This unit can be dangerous and cause serious injury if improperly
used. To reduce injury risk to operator, helpers and bystanders, read
and understand the Operator's and Safety manuals.
• Blindness can occur from objects that are thrown or ricocheted even
with shield in place. Operators, helpers and bystanders must wear
ANSI Z87.1 approved eye protection.
• Always wear hearing protection when operating unit.
• Prevent accidental contact with unit and any cutting attachment.
Maintain a 50 ft. (15M) radius, DANGER ZONE surrounding the
operator. ONLY the operator, dressed in proper protective clothing
should be in the DANGER ZONE.
• Beware of KICKOUT (blade thrust) when using blades. Special
precautions are necessary for blade operation, see your Operator's
and Safety Manuals. ONLY install ECHO approved blades on Brush
Cutters (SRM) models equipped with proper blade shield, U-handles,
harness, blade collar, nut and cotter pin.
• Blade/Cutting attachment does not stop immediately after releasing
throttle. Keep hands and feet clear of blade/cutting attachment unless
engine is shut off and cutting attachment is not moving.
• INSPECT BLADES BEFORE USE.
• DO NOT USE DAMAGED, CRACKED, BENT, DULL OR
IMPROPERLY SHARPENED BLADES.
• Do not remove shields, modify the unit or install attachments or parts
not approved by ECHO. Approved attachment information and
replacement Operator's and Safety Manuals are available from your
ECHO dealer or by writing: ECHO, INCORPORATED,
400 OAKWOOD RD., LAKE ZURICH, IL 60047.

http://www.njeyesite.com/articles/suburban_lawn_and.html

When it comes to landscaping, nothing puts the finishing touches on a tidy garden or yard like a power lawn trimmer. Trimmers are the second most popular lawn implement, behind the lawn mower, with gardeners and homeowners.

Unfortunately, these nylon lawn trimmers are now the fifth leading cause of penetrating eye injuries. Each year, trimmers alone cause more than 1,500 eye injuries. Operating at speeds up to 8500 revolutions per minute, these trimmers spin off tiny fragments of the nylon line, which can enter the eye along with dirt and grass debris. The result: corneal lacerations and fungal infections severe enough to threaten sight.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/books/summer3.htm

Each year, many serious injuries result from use of power mowers, string trimmers, and electric and gasoline-powered hedge trimmers.

Most string trimmers injuries are the result of —

* debris or objects picked up and thrown by the trimmer,
* failure to wear appropriate protective clothing and eye and ear protection, or
* unsafe handling of the trimmer or of fuel.

String Trimmers

These safety rules can help you avoid injury while using a string trimmer:

* Wear appropriate protective gear, including safety goggles, hearing protection and gloves. . * Choose clothing that fits trimly and has no strings or dangling straps that could catch in the trimmer or in the underbrush. Avoid ties and jewelry. Wear long pants and sturdy shoes with non-slip soles.
* Be sure you have read the operator's and safety manuals before using the trimmer. It is important to be familiar with the controls, particularly with how to stop the unit and shut off the engine.
* Keep the area where you will be working clear of bystanders, children and pets. Manufacturers recommend that no one enter the operating danger zone, an area 50 feet in radius. Even beyond this zone, there is danger of eye injury from thrown objects.
* Never operate the tool without good visibility and light.
* Keep the unit and attachments in good working condition. Tighten loose fasteners and replace any missing fasteners before using the unit. Check the cutting head assembly before each use.
* Always use both hands on the handles. Do not operate one-handed.

Mickhippy
01-21-2010, 05:20 AM
That was one... serious.... RANT! haaaa

clean_cut
01-21-2010, 08:31 AM
You think the court will listen when you stand there and say "Well judge I am sorry the kid lost his left eye, but them trimmers they flip stuff even with the guards so i just kinna figured i'd remove all that safey junk on my trimmers. ya see then the kid can get done quicker and less time spent hadnlin the dangerous quipment. An man you should see how tight a and purdy i can trimm without all that safety stuff. Ya know I been thinking bout puttin a vette engine on this here mower i got. Waddya think!"

Sure the judge will for sure look at you and say. "Wow that makes perfect sense, I'll through out the 20 million civil lawsuit, right now. Say got any openings on your route?"

OSHA will for sure say. "Naw we don't really mean it when we say you have to provide a safe environment for your employees and those around your work area. We won't be fining you, or shutting you down. Safety second, efficiency first! As we always say!"

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That was Hilarious.

Anyway, good post man, I hope some people read this, It as a lot of good information. I think you've inspired me to go get a new guard to replace the one that broke, now just to find $25 to spend on a guard for a trimmer thats now worth $30 :dizzy:.

dishboy
01-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Someone's Mormon underwear is too tight!

dtc0207
01-21-2010, 09:11 AM
No b/c some of the gen. public read this and they would no doubt put out 3 ft of line. however for the civilized an extra 2inches is not going to do that much wear and tear give me a break

go buy a tiny tac and measure your rpms with the line at recommended length and then with just that extra 2 inches you will be suprised and then picture your crews going from 2 extra inches to 4 and 5 extra inches

JayD
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Apologies for the following rant.

Oh seriously! Come on! Just call up your insurance agent and tell them you pull off safety guards on your equipment, cuzz they get in the way. See how long they keep you insured.

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN! Just say someone gets hurt from said trimmer and your insurances investigate as they will, you think they are just gonna say oh its ok we'll cover this guy and all the others out there that do this kinda thing. No! They'll fight it tooth and nail. You think OSHA can't come in and investigate an employee getting injured.

Just say some kid(employee or kid down the street) gets hit and you have removed your safety features. You think the court will listen when you stand there and say "Well judge I am sorry the kid lost his left eye, but them trimmers they flip stuff even with the guards so i just kinna figured i'd remove all that safey junk on my trimmers. ya see then the kid can get done quicker and less time spent hadnlin the dangerous quipment. An man you should see how tight a and purdy i can trimm without all that safety stuff. Ya know I been thinking bout puttin a vette engine on this here mower i got. Waddya think!"

The guards are there for a reason. SAFETY! They know these machines are dangerous, and they design them with SAFETY FEATURES.
Notice how the guards are there to protect user AND they just might protect objects/people behind the operator that he may not see immediately.

Sure accidents can and will happen regardless whether you have safety devices in place. But who will definitely lose in court when safety is ignored. Right the guy who practices safety in all areas. Or no maybe its "Them courts hate safety, its all about efficiency!"

All this talk great talk on lawnsite about being legal, having proper licenses, and insurance. Seriously!?! The second you start knowingly altering equipment and removing/disregarding safety of employees and others around you, YOU ARE NO LONGER OPERATING YOUR BUSINESS LEGALLY.

Maybe you pulled a fast on el cheap guys insurance and got them to agree in writing that your business could operate with disregard to all laws and safety features that come with purchasing and using equipment. "Manual what manual I didn't see now stinking manual."

Awe, imagine standing there saying "But I swear Mam, I am sorry your son lost an eye. But you just don't understand, them safety features just aren't effective. They slow you down, don't trim so purdy. If you dumb kid just had handled it the way i done did showed im last season he'd a been fine. By the way I ggots lottsa lawns ta mow and we are behind with all this court stuff are ya sure your son can't make it in tommora. I'mm tryin to make all the money I can fast before they shhut me down."

Just because you have been in business for blah blah blah years and had no problems does not mean that there will never come a time when your trimmer does seriously hurt someone. It has happened before, even if not to you. You will protect yourself from a serious thumping in court by being safe. The difference between an injury lawsuit were safety was ignored and you can prove you did all you could to keep everyone safe, CAN easily be the difference between bankruptcy / going out of business and living to mow another day.

But then hey, now worries right. We don't really live in a sue happy age, right?

Seriously though, I hope I have not offended anyone. I also hope none of us ever have an employee or bystander hurt by any of our equipment. I mean that. But accidents do happen more than we would like.

Thats what I was getting at......you said it all right man....good job. I too care more about my workers safety than the money....thanks for standing for whats right!

JayD
01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
That makes me think about maybe having this put on our yellow/orange safety vest that we wear. in big black letters, "STAY BACK 50 FEET FROM OPERATOR"
That would be cool. Have it put on front and back and maybe that would help to keep people from walking right up to you.....

What do you think....

johnnybravo8802
01-21-2010, 11:57 AM
That makes me think about maybe having this put on our yellow/orange safety vest that we wear. in big black letters, "STAY BACK 50 FEET FROM OPERATOR"
That would be cool. Have it put on front and back and maybe that would help to keep people from walking right up to you.....

What do you think....
I've used clearing saws with that warnings on the back of the harness-seriously!!!!! You guys who think you're not doing damage to your equipment, you should call up Stihl and see what they say. All of my trimmers are about 10 yrs. old if we're in a spitting contest.

About accidents and the statements, "I haven't had an accident yet." You should talk to my insurance agent if you want to know that they will happen. I've been doing this my whole life and never had a major accident and was feeling good about it. Last year, my worker fell off the front of my trailer-no sides, no obstructions, and probably only a foot off the ground. He had to have emergency hip surgery, cost my insurance $29,000, and he was out 5 months(Entire growing season). When he came back to work, I told him that he absolutely could not get hurt again. Three weeks later, he was using a push mower on flat ground, fell, and broke his left wrist!!!!:dizzy::dizzy::cry::cry:He doesn't work with me anymore and I was warned by my insurance agent to not have another accident. You see, things happen just when you think they can't. I gave my worker very easy jobs that should have been accident free(Push mower on flat ground) and he got hurt anyway.

clean_cut
01-21-2010, 12:03 PM

What do you think....

Great idea, you need a flashing light to go on a safety helmet too. :laugh:

redmax fan
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

jjarvis4
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
IMO, the guard doesn't hinder any of my edging, ect, and taking it off wouldn't make the job any faster. I like the fact that the guard keeps most of the gravel and sticks out of my face. Do remember that the guard doesn't make it accident proof though!

A Leaf Above
01-21-2010, 01:05 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That was Hilarious.

Anyway, good post man, I hope some people read this, It as a lot of good information. I think you've inspired me to go get a new guard to replace the one that broke, now just to find $25 to spend on a guard for a trimmer thats now worth $30 :dizzy:.

Dont worry ..Ill send you my guard rite after i remove it in the dealers parkinglot :) ...

johnnybravo8802
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Dont worry ..Ill send you my guard rite after i remove it in the dealers parkinglot :) ...
Yea, and I'll plan to send you my worker who was injured twice this year.:)

JayD
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM

OK smarty pants, I'm glad I can make you laugh....

Lazer_Z
01-21-2010, 02:32 PM
To the OP, MCC, I moved my guard back, the Stihl guard has 4 small bolts that hold it on, remove the two closest to the gear head and remove the two nuts on the two farthest from the head. Then just take your guard and line up the 1st set of bolt holes on the last two bolts, re install the nuts and you're good to go.

I have done this twice, once on my FS 90 R and the second time on the trimmer attachment for my KM 130 R.

A Leaf Above
01-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Yea, and I'll plan to send you my worker who was injured twice this year.:)

No thank you ..I dont need workers who cant even walk straight without falling , let alone hold a peice of my equipment :) ..I think your guy was on too many pain meds ..:nono: or :drinkup:

johnnybravo8802
01-21-2010, 05:39 PM
No thank you ..I dont need workers who cant even walk straight without falling , let alone hold a peice of my equipment :) ..I think your guy was on too many pain meds ..:nono: or :drinkup:
Yea, I'm still feeling the pain from all of his injuries!!:dizzy::dizzy:

JB1
01-21-2010, 05:49 PM
if we are weedeating along by a lot of cars or people, we usually have two other workers walk along side holding up a large tarp so nothing gets hit.

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
01-21-2010, 05:52 PM
i keep my gaurds on, i took it off of my edger and all i got in my face was dirt and the dirt was shot 10 ft back. so i would keep the gaurds on.

stressed
01-23-2010, 10:43 AM
we take it off becuz it allows you to have longer string and you can see better..wear safety glasses and keep mouth closed..the pain wen a rock hits your face is temporary

HappyDaysLawnCare
02-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I help my husband with our family owned/operated lawn business. Personally, it weighs more and sometimes I need a little more string, so my guard on the Echo is off. HOWEVER, my shins will NOT win a sexy legs contest! You will throw debris! AND.... when we bought our new mower, we were chatting with the fellow at the mower shop, because you are bogging the motor down (if you use too much string), if you bring in the trimmer for warranty work WITHOUT the guard, you may NOT get results out of your warranty (if you blow your trimmer up).

MJS
02-24-2010, 03:31 PM
BOTTOM LINE:

If you leave the trimmer guard on, it may add some weight and hinder you from using a longer length of string.

If you take the trimmer guard off, you may make your trimmer lighter and easier to use with more string, but you may also void a warranty.

If you're operating a trimmer without proper safety equipment for your eyes and/or hands/legs/ears - regardless of whether or not the trimmer has a guard - you are an idiot and you are asking for an injury.

Geez, ten pages for that? Is the winter really that boring? :laugh:

JayD
02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I help my husband with our family owned/operated lawn business. Personally, it weighs more and sometimes I need a little more string, so my guard on the Echo is off. HOWEVER, my shins will NOT win a sexy legs contest! You will throw debris! AND.... when we bought our new mower, we were chatting with the fellow at the mower shop, because you are bogging the motor down (if you use too much string), if you bring in the trimmer for warranty work WITHOUT the guard, you may NOT get results out of your warranty (if you blow your trimmer up).

My dealer told me the very same thing.....

Equipguy
02-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Wow what a thread! Anyone here actually had a judgment against them or there company for an injury that resulted from no guard on the trimmer?

Valk
02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Just by the design theory alone, the guard is not really protecting much other than the operator? Even then, ya still get hit??

Guard off = saves time & string, is lighter and easier when edging, fits into smaller areas, trimmer feels more balanced (to me)...and bottom line, I do a better job with it off.

Landscraper1
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Personally, I hate that guard. It does slow you down no matter what anyone says. But, if you have employees, DO NOT TAKE IT OFF. Let them do it, if they want. But, DON'T TELL THEM TO DO IT."

You know what I meeean !!!:nono:

yardguy28
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
personally i will always keep any guard for any piece of equipment in place. especially the trimmers. sure you get hit a little even with the guard on but i guarentee it actually protects your legs from taking a real beating.

depending on which direction you trim, right to left or left to right depends on if that guard protects windows and what not from getting hit by flying debris.

i trim right to left. it throws the grass at my legs and the trimmer guard keeping it out of the mulch beds and from throwing debris at a clients house or vehicle.

demhustler
02-24-2010, 07:59 PM
ridiculous protection or use it makes doesn't worth to carry it and performance drop

there is - if you know what trimmer is and how to use it : )))))

yardguy28
02-24-2010, 10:26 PM
ridiculous protection or use it makes doesn't worth to carry it and performance drop

there is - if you know what trimmer is and how to use it : )))))

can anyone tell me what he just said???

JB1
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM

something about Bud Light.

Mickhippy
02-25-2010, 12:32 AM

Haaaaaa!:laugh::laugh: That actually made me laugh! Good one!:drinkup:

yardguy28
02-25-2010, 07:22 PM
made me laught too

demhustler
02-25-2010, 09:20 PM

since you can't figure it out for yourself - thing is useless, if you know how to hold trimmer
hope it helps

yardguy28
02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
since you can't figure it out for yourself - thing is useless, if you know how to hold trimmer
hope it helps

no it doesn't help one bit. knowing how to hold a trimmer makes no difference whatsoever whether you keep the guard on or take it off.

demhustler
02-25-2010, 09:31 PM

if they say - you're not a Lightest Bulb - it's not about Bud Light
that was actually about trimmer
but you been close, good job - keep trying, think more, you'll do good

demhustler
02-25-2010, 09:35 PM
no it doesn't help one bit. knowing how to hold a trimmer makes no difference whatsoever whether you keep the guard on or take it off.

you can direct your discharge in different ways depending on angle and direction of move

to put it simply - watch where you shoot discharge, that's it

yardguy28
02-25-2010, 09:40 PM
you can direct your discharge in different ways depending on angle and direction of move

to put it simply - watch where you shoot discharge, that's it

i don't have to watch where i shoot discharge.........

the direction i run the trimmer shoots it away from the mulch/rock/flower beds

but i'm still not taking my guard off, it serves its purpose.

demhustler
02-25-2010, 09:55 PM

by changing angle slightly to left - it 'll shoot more backwards, to the right - forward, where is no guard protection; same with edging - guard doesn't cover this sectors
but - watch it or not, keep it or not - do whatever you want ...
: ))))))

yardguy28
02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
by changing angle slightly to left - it 'll shoot more backwards, to the right - forward, where is no guard protection; same with edging - guard doesn't cover this sectors
but - watch it or not, keep it or not - do whatever you want ...
: ))))))

thanks i will.......:hammerhead:

keep the guard on because the way i run the trimmer shoots the discharge backwards away from mulch/flower/rock beds.

demhustler
02-25-2010, 10:22 PM

sure, do that ... :hammerhead:
don't watch where you shoot discharge, especially when edging - keep thinking guard will protect from rocks in all directions

Sammy
02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Keep 'em on.

rcslawncare
02-26-2010, 09:45 AM
If you wanna take them off, go for it. It ids designed to do the job the way it is with all safety devices in place, the guard doesn't bother me, so I keep it on.

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 10:38 AM
My EMPLOYEES always take the guards off. Only had 1 injury in 30 years. That was 18 yrs ago when, an employee was trimming without his goggles on. God honest truth.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-26-2010, 10:40 AM
I used to swear by leaving them on the trimmer. I took mine off about mid-way through the season last year and love it. You can let out more line to get work done quick and not have to "bump" as often. Just don't let out too much or you'll burn out the clutch on your trimmer and/or whack yourself in the leg with trimmer line.

yardguy28
02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
sure, do that ... :hammerhead:
don't watch where you shoot discharge, especially when edging - keep thinking guard will protect from rocks in all directions

i keep an eye on where discharge goes when i need to. forget the edging deal i don't edge with my trimmer, thats what stick edgers are for.

EastCoast
02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Keep it on... prevents kick ups and broken windows.

type_rcivic2000
02-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Depending on the dealer, removal of grass shield automatically voids any warranty on the trimmer. Guys around here do it because they feel they can get a larger swath with the guard off, thus saving trimming time. Problem is, unless you switch to a lighter gauge trimmer line (i.e. .080 gauge) you put too much drag on the clutch and drive cable, thus overheating the engine and possibly scoring the piston and cylinder. Even switching to a lighter gauge can cause overheating and oil to burn onto the top of the cylinder. We get guys in our shop all the time wanting warranty on a blown engine with the trimmer line 30 inches long!!

yardguy28
02-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Depending on the dealer, removal of grass shield automatically voids any warranty on the trimmer. Guys around here do it because they feel they can get a larger swath with the guard off, thus saving trimming time. Problem is, unless you switch to a lighter gauge trimmer line (i.e. .080 gauge) you put too much drag on the clutch and drive cable, thus overheating the engine and possibly scoring the piston and cylinder. Even switching to a lighter gauge can cause overheating and oil to burn onto the top of the cylinder. We get guys in our shop all the time wanting warranty on a blown engine with the trimmer line 30 inches long!!

what an excellent reason in it self to keep the trimmer guard ON.

with safety being my number 1 reason to keep the trimmer guard on, this will be my number 2 reason. not to mention there is no "real" reason to remove it. depsite the many claims that it increases productivity, i disagree 100%. why do you need to take a larger swath in the first place? trimming is done to cut the blades of grass the mower can not reach. i don't know about anyone else but my mower can get pretty close to the trunk of a tree or the edge of a fence and as for mulch beds you can actually put the edge of the deck over the edge of the turf. line 30 inches long is completely unnecessary to trim around fences, trees, light posts, etc.

THEGOLDPRO
02-26-2010, 07:57 PM
what an excellent reason in it self to keep the trimmer guard ON.

with safety being my number 1 reason to keep the trimmer guard on, this will be my number 2 reason. not to mention there is no "real" reason to remove it. depsite the many claims that it increases productivity, i disagree 100%. why do you need to take a larger swath in the first place? trimming is done to cut the blades of grass the mower can not reach. i don't know about anyone else but my mower can get pretty close to the trunk of a tree or the edge of a fence and as for mulch beds you can actually put the edge of the deck over the edge of the turf. line 30 inches long is completely unnecessary to trim around fences, trees, light posts, etc.

i guess you have never trimmed a grave yard, running without a guard in a graveyard will cut your allready very long trim time in half.

yardguy28
02-26-2010, 08:03 PM
i guess you have never trimmed a grave yard, running without a guard in a graveyard will cut your allready very long trim time in half.

i would ALWAYS choose safety over time in the first place no matter what the job is.

to answer your question no i've never trimmed in a grave yard but i would never remove a guard making a piece of equipment unsafe just to get a job done quicker.

THEGOLDPRO
02-26-2010, 08:04 PM
i would ALWAYS choose safety over time in the first place no matter what the job is.

to answer your question no i've never trimmed in a grave yard but i would never remove a guard making a piece of equipment unsafe just to get a job done quicker.

you do realize time is money in this business dont you??? you have fun being dudly do-right, ill get the job done faster.

yardguy28
02-26-2010, 08:18 PM
you do realize time is money in this business dont you??? you have fun being dudly do-right, ill get the job done faster.

yes time is money but for me not at the expense of safety. i wanna be doing this job for as long as i can and i don't need to loose an eye and not be able to work because i took a guard off a piece of equipment and had a rock or something thrown in my face.

nor would i want to explain to a clients insurance company why the front window shattered because a stone was thrown from my trimmer when the guard would have stopped it from hitting that window.

trimmers without guards don't save so much that it's worth risking safety. safety is number 1 in my business.

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 08:56 PM
The guard on the trimmer is mostly to protect the operator. You can still break plenty of windows with it on.
As far as productivity, most grass cutting veterans here, have used it at first, with the guard on. Gradually, with experience, they find that they can do a quicker and better job without the guard.
If your advocating to keep the guard on for safety reasons, fine. To say that the productivity is the same as with it on, is way off. If you never had it off for a considerable amount of time then, you don't have a leg to stand on.:nono:

yardguy28
02-26-2010, 09:38 PM
The guard on the trimmer is mostly to protect the operator. You can still break plenty of windows with it on.
As far as productivity, most grass cutting veterans here, have used it at first, with the guard on. Gradually, with experience, they find that they can do a quicker and better job without the guard.
If your advocating to keep the guard on for safety reasons, fine. To say that the productivity is the same as with it on, is way off. If you never had it off for a considerable amount of time then, you don't have a leg to stand on.:nono:

i realize you can still break windows with a trimmer guard on. i broke my parents back storm door twice in a matter of months. but i'm sure the trimmer guard will cut down on rocks and debris being thrown from it, depending on which way the trimmer throws it of course.

you caught me in that i haven't had the trimmer guard off for an extended period of time. but my brain fails to comprehend how having no guard will SIGNIFICANTLY decrease the amount of time spend trimming. i can see how it could decrease but so much so that you are willing to risk the safety factors of having it on?

for me no amount of decrease in time will get me to ignore the unsafe factore of a trimmer with no guard.

Landscraper1
02-26-2010, 10:13 PM
i realize you can still break windows with a trimmer guard on. i broke my parents back storm door twice in a matter of months. but i'm sure the trimmer guard will cut down on rocks and debris being thrown from it, depending on which way the trimmer throws it of course.

you caught me in that i haven't had the trimmer guard off for an extended period of time. but my brain fails to comprehend how having no guard will SIGNIFICANTLY decrease the amount of time spend trimming. i can see how it could decrease but so much so that you are willing to risk the safety factors of having it on?

for me no amount of decrease in time will get me to ignore the unsafe factore of a trimmer with no guard.

I see your point about the safety factor. I have seen many in our industry that do much crazier things then just take a guard off a weed wacker. For instance, I can not count how many disconnect their safety switches on their mowers. Now that can lead to injuries from missing fingers to as far as a death. But, if you have your goggles on, the worse injury that can happen to you is a small cut that a band-aid can take care of.
And let me add to what I said about broken windows. That guard acts as a deflector more than anything. If a pebble hits that guard, it will just deflect it outward probably, at a window in front of you.
I think there are more pros to taking it off then cons. Besides I like to live dangerously. Just not too dangerously.:cool2:

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I keep my guards on for a few reasons. One being liability. If you operate a piece of equipment with safey devices defeated or removed and something happens, you're gonna loose any lawsuit, guaranteed. I also like that they keep the string trimmed evenly to cut down on vibration...I have enough nerve damage in my hands already. It's kind of a pain if you have the guard off and bump by accident and the line gets too long and you have to find something to rub on to shorten it. The guards on my Shindaiwa don't get in the way much, does take a little longer to trim around posts and such though. I will say I don't like the guard on my Stihl FS 130..it keeps the string too short. Big handlebar trimmer with a tiny little string on it..it is temping to take that one off. I think I'll try what someone mentioned and take the skirt and cutter off it.