PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Change their Kubota MiniX Thumb?

curtisfarmer
01-18-2010, 07:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has chnaged their factory KX series thumb for something different. The factory thumb on my KX121-3 is too small for my liking. Anyone who has one, do you feel the same? I feel it pivots long things while pinching and could be wider. I had a custom hyd. thumb put on L48s and it is great, almost wide enough to close a 24" bucket and the plate is solid as opposed to tines with most thumbs. This is what I want, any suggestions?:usflag:

Will post pics tommorrow.

coopers
01-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Curtisfarmer, I saw a guy here who had a 161 and he had a pro. link thumb by HPF on his machine (like minimax's thumb). I personally would get rid of the kubota thumb and get one from HPF or PSM here in WA; whenever I end up picking a mini up. I like pro link thumbs and wider thumbs which both companies offer. They are a tad spendy but IMO worth it. I'm sure mimimax on here could vouch for that.

Scag48
01-18-2010, 11:54 PM
The HPF pro-link mini thumbs are awesome. I was quoted $3,400 I believe about 14 months ago for my dad's 303CR, which included a new, longer cylinder and all the installation.

nedly05
01-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Check out www.northsaw.com

He built ours for our Kobelco 70SR, it's a great thumb, and a great price. He is a super nice guy to work with too.

nedly05
01-19-2010, 07:01 AM
If you go to his website look under more pics, under the first link (029A) he has pics of a thumb he built for a KX121.

curtisfarmer
01-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I want something like Nedlys style....large and wide, I may go without the serated edges as I do alot of rock work which may cause scratches. I just realized I have the QA to deal with as I was sitting in bed last night. I don't want to spend big dough ($500+). I was wondering if some fabrication could be done to widen it....and if it would hold up. If not, get a new thumb plate without the piston and such, don't want to send big dough again. I guess I am wondering about radius, clearance, and other measurments I should be aware of ....or woul someone who does this for a living obviously know everything I am worrying about. It would be nice if I could get an off the shelf replacement, unbolt piston and replace? It is snowing again, back to back plow days but I will post pics today.

curtisfarmer
01-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Nedly, that is a great link, EXACTLY what I was thinking. I am going to call him and see if he has an off-the -shelf solution. Thanks

NEUSWEDE
01-19-2010, 12:24 PM
I will try and find it but on a site somewhere maybe HEF there was a kubota where they took the stock thumb and just added a prong on each side to widen it so on a 36" bucket 4 prongs that when closed they were all in between the teeth.

bobcatexc
01-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I seen on Ironplanet I believe someone had a 161 that they modified the factory thumb like NEUSWEDE said and had 4 finger thumb and it looked good. Your already wide enough back by the pin just have two more finger welded on with bracing in between, I would think be alot cheaper.

nedly05
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
I seen on Ironplanet I believe someone had a 161 that they modified the factory thumb like NEUSWEDE said and had 4 finger thumb and it looked good. Your already wide enough back by the pin just have two more finger welded on with bracing in between, I would think be alot cheaper.

Thats a good idea. You can make a template of your tines and go to a steel shop and have some pieces burnt out, then get the appropriate size steel to widen it and weld the tines on the out side. That would be more in the area of $500. Check out my pic thread. I had some new tines burnt out and replaced the tines on our Deere 27.

curtisfarmer
01-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Sounds like the most cost effective solution $ wise. Still haven't taken pics or called the thumb people:cry:....plowing again.:) Any thoughts as to how it will hold up. I am no welder so obviously it will be farmed out to a pro. Toughness should be the same to new or affordably close to it, huh? I know the wider I go the forces are magnified X but I really want the ability to close the bucket opening with the thumb.

nedly05
01-20-2010, 06:17 AM
I put new tines on that thumb two other time, I just didnt use steel that was big enough so they quickly tore up and wore out. I torched those off and then added these. I never had any trouble with them breaking off so I would think that it shouldnt be an issue to widen as long as the welds are good and the steel is sized properly. I wouldnt think it would be too big a job to do, but its tough to say without seeing what your thumb looks like. I would definetly take it off the machine to make sure you got a good job. Maybe check with Don at Northsaw, maybe you could tell him what you want to do, and he would alter it for you, or give him some measurement and he could build you what you want then you could have it welded on. I bet you can alter it for the money you want to spend. Have you thought about sending it to whoever it was that built the thumb for the L48 and having them tune it up for you?

On the note of the serrated edges, they dont seem to tear up rocks any worse than non serrated edges. I have a hard time building rock walls and not scratching the rocks, I do my best though.

curtisfarmer
01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Here are some pics of my thumbs. Didn't have a ruler handy to show size and perspective but did use mans other common denominator.....the beer can:D

I like the wide thumb with a flat bottom which helps pinch dirt and other debris. Adding 2 tines seems best $ wise.

nedly05
01-20-2010, 09:14 PM
So I am just guess here...the L48 thumb is the one thats 2 beer cans wide while the 121 is only one can wide?:drinkup:

I would say that you could add two tines and and some flat steel pieces to space it out from the original thumb for what you want to spend. Dont forget when you have your tines cut to leave a hole in there to get the pin out. If you take it off have it all built and then you cant put it back on because of that you will be pissed!

Do you have someone that does your welding? Take it off and bring it to them and explain what you want. I think it should be pretty simple to do.

coopers
01-21-2010, 03:32 AM
Curtisfarmer,

I was thinking...you need to start your own picture thread. It would be nice to see some more kubota machines on LS doing work. :)

nedly05
01-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Curtisfarmer,

I was thinking...you need to start your own picture thread. It would be nice to see some more kubota machines on LS doing work. :)

I second that!

curtisfarmer
01-21-2010, 10:33 AM
OK, I will do just that. Stay tuned for lots of orange! :weightlifter:

Off to the doctors with my wife to check on our upcoming baby boy due in April:)

curtisfarmer
01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
OK, I will do just that for all the Kubota fans out there. Stay tuned for lots of orange! :weightlifter:

Off to the doctors with my wife to check on our upcoming baby boy due in April:)

Here is a teaser:

coopers
01-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Good teaser. :)

nedly05
01-22-2010, 07:28 AM
OK, I will do just that for all the Kubota fans out there. Stay tuned for lots of orange! :weightlifter:

Here is a teaser:

Thats excellent news!! We just had our first in september, shes growing like a weed, more fun every day!

How do you like that back blade? Thats next on my attachment wish list.

Nice pics, cant wait for more!

curtisfarmer
01-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Back blade is invaluable. I build alot of gravel drives and install alot of lawns, the best for spreading gravel and loam. Using the blase backwards spreads the material like butter. Also with the Landpride 35 series and up you can offset the blade like 2' like a wing plow and I use this to push back roads and driveways when there is too much snow.

Building new tent pad for my wedding business:

Junior M
01-22-2010, 01:13 PM
So you want a 2 beer can wide thumb? :laugh:

Serious question though!

I personally, like the real wide thumbs with multiple tines just like the one on Chris's Volvo..

curtisfarmer
01-22-2010, 02:23 PM
The Volvo and Cat wide thumbs are the best stock thumbs out there IMO, I like the tines to stickout just far enough, byut not too far where the dirt falls out between them.

coopers
01-22-2010, 02:38 PM
So you like the blade over a boxblade for spreading material?