PDA

View Full Version : How do you sharpen hedge trimmer and clearing saw blades?

Mikegyver
01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
I have a stihl hedge trimmer and a redmax clearing saw. How do you sharpen hedger and clearing saw blades?
Thanks for all the advice you have given me so far!!!
Mike
MCCLC

A Leaf Above
01-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I use a dremel for my hedge trimmers ...Takes about 30-40 minutes ..I just stick them in a vice and sharpen away..

ALC-GregH
01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
My thought is, if you have to ask, your better off taking them to a shop that sharpens them. Otherwise you could render them useless if you don't know how to do it.

Mikegyver
01-18-2010, 08:34 PM
I have experience sharping stuff just didn't know what specific file or tool to use. I have only been mowing yards that needed this for a year so I have only had those machines for a year.
MCCLC

david shumaker
01-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I use a small Corona file made for sharpening hand pruners and loppers. It works on my clippers and brush clearing blade. I think Lowe's sells the file in the garden tool department. I've also used other small metal files.

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
01-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Hand file or dremel both work the great. Use a hand file to sharpen chain saws chains.

xclusive
01-18-2010, 10:19 PM
I pay to have the chain saw done but I do my sharpen my own trimmers with an air cut off tool from sears that I put a grinding blade on for sharpening.

Mikegyver
01-18-2010, 11:00 PM
OK so small file or dremel for both? Take of as little as possible right? Does anything need to be balanced? When do I need to replace? When they get unusable:(?
MCCLC

mds2000
01-18-2010, 11:02 PM
i have done it my self with an axe file i takes about 45 min to do a good job or i take it to a saw sharpener(table saw and wood working machinery) ( not a stihl dealer they wanted like 80$ thats like 400% mark up rip off) he does mine for 15$ each and there sharper then when you buy them brand new go figure.

Roger
01-19-2010, 07:45 AM
I have an Stihl HS80 hedge clipper, as well as a hedge clipper attachment for my string trimmer. The best way is to take the blades apart, put each one in a vise and sharpen with a hand file. When taking the bar apart, it provides an opportunity to clean out the gear case and replace with fresh grease. I have also used an angle grinder, with a flap disk, for the sharpening, but a hand file provides the most control.

Chains off the chain saw -- take them to a friend who has a device intended specifically for chains, an indexing vise and very thin grinder wheel.

jvanvliet
01-19-2010, 08:09 AM
I bought a gadget called "Samurai Shark" at the local "I seen it on TV" section of your local Walgreens. It was advertised to sharpen knives, siccors, etc. I decided to use the siccor attachment on my hedge trimmer... worked GREAT! took only a couple of minutes and put a razor edge on the blade. I even use it on the job when I find it just isn't cutting like it ought to.

Using a dremmel (which I have done) or other power grinder can grind the blade down real fast if you are not VERY careful, grind at the proper angle, know when to stop & know what you are doing.

The "Samurai Shark" is only about $20.00 and it will sharpen your knives to a razors edge as well.

Mikegyver
01-19-2010, 09:05 AM
My clearing saw blade looks like a table saw blade? How do you sharpen that?
MCCLC

ALC-GregH
01-19-2010, 09:33 AM
MCCLC

I don't know if I'd bother with them. They don't cost that much. If your talking about a brush cutter blade, the 4 point type blades, well you can figure that out. If it's a circular saw type blade with a high tooth count just replace it.

lawnangel1
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I take them to the dealer at the beginning of the season. I use a hand file and dremel the rest of the year.

Mikegyver
01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS I WILL GET Filing!
MCCLC

STIHL GUY
01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
a dremel will work on the hedge trimmer. much quicker than a file

jvanvliet
01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
MCCLC
I buy a new one