PDA

View Full Version : Skid Steer hopper

Dirtman2007
01-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Looking for some info on where to buy or rent a hopper like Ron uses on his skid steer.
Just bidded on a job and it has 1400 tons of class 1 rip rap ( up to 22" in diameter) and it all has to be hauled using a skid steer due to limited access. Will one of these units even with stand that being dumped into it?

curtisfarmer
01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Maybe for about 1 day with that size rock:laugh::laugh::laugh:

backhoe
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
probably had better buy it if you're planning on hauling that big of rock.

Dirtman2007
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Maybe for about 1 day with that size rock:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thats what I was thinking but dang I'm not looking forward to moving that one ton at the time with the takkie 150. Might have to find me a skid steer operator for that month lol

Lazer_Z
01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Thats what I was thinking but dang I'm not looking forward to moving that one ton at the time with the takkie 150. Might have to find me a skid steer operator for that month lol Chris give Jr a shot, I'm sure he'd be willing :laugh:

curtisfarmer
01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
If you bought an affordable 1 and reinforced it with plate inside the hopper, it may hold up. The cost may be cheaper than running it up 1 bucket at a time. Is it the vehicle size restriction? How about a small Marooka or other offroad haul truck? My other thought would be a high capacity bucket which would would have to be loaded with another machine to gain full capacity. Looks like some # crunching since there are some serious trips involved.

Barge Man
01-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Chris what about renting one of those small JCB haul truck's?

Dirtman2007
01-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Chris what about renting one of those small JCB haul truck's?

how about a barge? its the dang job you sent me the link on!

hook a brother up lol

For everyone else I forgot to say this is for fixing eroded shoreline on a lake

Barge Man
01-18-2010, 08:17 PM
how about a barge? its the dang job you sent me the link on!

hook a brother up lol

For everyone else I forgot to say this is for fixing eroded shoreline on a lake

Tell me how to get there already got it on the trailer :laugh:

wanabe
01-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Most all of the trailers hauling rock that size have are lined with boards to take the impact. You almost need a hopper made out of hardox plate material. Maybe finding a bigger bucket and welding on a coupler plate would be a better option?

DUSTYCEDAR
01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Go get all the people on well fair and make them work one rock at a time

Blue Goose
01-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Without knowing all of the particulars of the job, could you use a 63 to carry in your rip rap?

Dieselnut
01-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Chris how about this idea. I know someone on here I think the guy with the ASV's the Ditch which excavator, and the volvo mini ex JPG? had a bedding box that was proportional to his skid steer. Try to find one of those and then carry the box with your new pallet forks. Its a thought.

bobcat_ron
01-18-2010, 08:33 PM
The Bobcat dumping hopper will handle that rock, if it makes you feel better, you can always weld some extra hardox plate inside, just dump the rock in slowly.
I've dumped a chunk of concrete that was 4 feet long and 18" wide from 9 feet into it and it bounced, so Bobcat's sh*tty steel is somewhat stretchy to a certain degree.
Retail price on a hopper bucket (no bucket for the loader) is around $4000, maybe less, and get the tires foam filled, they will pop the bead really damn fast when you turn with a heaped hopper load.

Dirtman2007
01-18-2010, 08:46 PM
hmm, $4000 for a hopper seems like a big investment for just one job that will most likely destroy it. I've got the one yard bucket. Might just rent another machine for a couple weeks and knock it out.

Only problem is anything bigger than the 1 yrd bucket its hard for the machine to fill it full on its on. I'd have to have a mini at the staging area to fill the buckets full.

Its one of those stupid state job where you can't scratch a 2" dead pine tree. I guess the only good thing is I won't have to move it too far, 400- 500' max at the furthest.

might ask and see if I can demo a new TL250 or something.

Junior M
01-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Chris give Jr a shot, I'm sure he'd be willing :laugh:

He already knows I am.. Just gotta give more than 36hours notice, like usual!

:realmad:

:laugh: :laugh:

Dirtman2007
01-18-2010, 10:02 PM
He already knows I am.. Just gotta give more than 36hours notice, like usual!

:realmad:

:laugh: :laugh:

whats wrong with that much time? we take it day by day in the excavating biz:laugh:

Junior M
01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
whats wrong with that much time? we take it day by day in the excavating biz:laugh:
Well us in the student/transmission biz dont.. :laugh:

Ya gotta figure out a way to transfer it over..

Dirtman2007
01-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Well us in the student/transmission biz dont.. :laugh:

Ya gotta figure out a way to transfer it over..

Fine I'll be in FL the second week of Feb running some 80 ton hoes. Is that enough of a heads up?

bobcat_ron
01-18-2010, 10:11 PM
It's won't get damaged, the only thing that will take a beating the machine and the ground you are disturbing, put any bucket bigger on a TL150 and you will increase the stress, not too mention the "teeth rattling" you don't seem to like.
$4000 (or less) seems high, but I can see at least 1 job you have already done that a hopper could have been a great time saver, the job you did 2 weeks ago with the multi-trip compost.
A morooka is dead slow, they have a top speed of 7mph, same as a TL150 and the smaller ones don't have a big enough box and the bigger ones are really heavy and wide.

Barge Man
01-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Fine I'll be in FL the second week of Feb running some 80 ton hoes. Is that enough of a heads up?

Your going down for the RB auction?

Dieselnut
01-18-2010, 10:21 PM

Ill be down there the 12-15th for the miami boat show.

Dirtman2007
01-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Your going down for the RB auction?

yeah I'm going down there with a friend of mine to another one, gonna stop by RB's just to see the big stuff and play around on some of it

Junior M
01-18-2010, 10:25 PM
yeah I'm going down there with a friend of mine to another one, gonna stop by RB's just to see the big stuff and play around on some of it

We've had this discussion, ya *******! just rub it in some more!

:laugh:

ioilyouin
01-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Is a wheel loader an option?

Barge Man
01-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Ill be down there the 12-15th for the miami boat show.

I am deffently heading south now, I didn't know the boat show was then also. Where are you guys staying at?

curtisfarmer
01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
What is the capacity of the hopper (weight & volume)? If you rut the piss out of the ground doing this, does the belly of the hopper drag and ultimately stop?

Sounds like an attractive option for this job, at the right price. Definetly a specialized attachment. Can one be made at a similiar price of buying 1 and reinforcing it? Or cheaper.

curtisfarmer
01-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Boston Boat Show Feb. 25-28th :waving: ...... and they let you drink beer at the show:drinkup:

bobcat_ron
01-19-2010, 12:39 PM
What is the capacity of the hopper (weight & volume)? If you rut the piss out of the ground doing this, does the belly of the hopper drag and ultimately stop?

Sounds like an attractive option for this job, at the right price. Definetly a specialized attachment. Can one be made at a similiar price of buying 1 and reinforcing it? Or cheaper.

It will belly drag if you kept taking the same path over and over, but you can lift more of the weight off the wheels and transfer it to the machine, and if you load it with more of the load to the machine, that makes a difference.

The only other "cheap" method is using a tractor with a dump wagon.

93turbo
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
The only other "cheap" method is using a tractor with a dump wagon.

Thats what I been thinking since Chris already has both of these but I'm wondering if he don't have enough room for this set up.

Gravel Rat
01-19-2010, 01:55 PM
At any rate to move that much material as what Chris said will be a long process. Without a picture it is hard to give any suggestions. If its possible a 1 ton dump could be used and just put as much as you can into it.

Tyler5652
01-19-2010, 02:02 PM
to bad a conveyor wasnt a option :rolleyes: lol.

curtisfarmer
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
I didn't think about the dump trailer. I put a 3pt hitch square reciever on a TLB and use it with slide in pintels and ball hitches. I t has come in handy many times from hauling big chippers into the woods to pulling different types of trailers. A dealer up here had KX161 with tag trailer, awesome! I pull at 18' flat bed with it at jobs to collect large rocks long distances where 2 at a time with forks takes too long. The beauty is leaving the pintel open and the kickstand down so you can drop the trailer, dump the bucket load up front, and hook up and dump trailer. Sounds relatively effecient for this volume of rock. It also provides for much tighter manuvering with a possible trailer which is being discussed here with tighter turning radius and overall greater mobility than conventional 1ton. When I see big dump trailers the width always seems way too wide if it isn't a deck over (which are tippy I hear if loaded heavy).

Gravel Rat
01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
That much rip rap to move with a skid steer will be alot of work and if Chris has limited space to move the material through he has a tough one. Also any trailer or what ever he uses is going to take a chit kicking hauling that much rock it will have lots of dents and maybe ripped steel.

curtisfarmer
01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Like GR said, anything other than a bucket will need some serious buffering like 2" wood all the way around and bottom. If you build something cheap, scrap to scrap, when your done...bye bye or keep in case the issue comes up again.

Bleed Green
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM

FL sounds real good about now. I'll come there LOL. It finally posed to warm up here this week a little till it rains anyway.

Dirtman2007
01-19-2010, 04:42 PM
FL sounds real good about now. I'll come there LOL. It finally posed to warm up here this week a little till it rains anyway.

Yeah i'm ready for the warm weather, I was sweating today putting out seed and straw, its 65 outside!

Dieselnut
01-19-2010, 08:21 PM
I am deffently heading south now, I didn't know the boat show was then also. Where are you guys staying at?

I'm staying in fort lauderdale about little less then 30 mins away. Hotels around Miami are and have been booked for ever and are way over priced because of the show.

Sorry to de-rail your thread chris. Hope you find something that will work.

AEL
01-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Il be at RB, Yodder and frey as well. I am staying in Dover. We got a sweet deal on a town house rental and its only five mins from Rb and I75 i believe

Dirtman2007
01-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Il be at RB, Yodder and frey as well. I am staying in Dover. We got a sweet deal on a town house rental and its only five mins from Rb and I75 i believe

I'm leaving the Feb 5th to go down to yoder, then going by RB's the day before we leave. PM me and I'll give you some details.

Kepple Services
01-19-2010, 11:31 PM
I have some contractors in the Polk county area, and am there somewhat often. I knew RB was having an auction soon as I see all the iron comming in. I also am looking to make it down to Miami for the show. I have missed it the last 2 years or so, but am working on going this year as I have a binch of friends who go.