PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu/Chevy w-4 brakes

morturf
05-28-2002, 03:13 PM
Just wondering what you guys that own these are seeing for front brake pad life? I have 24k miles on my truck and am going in for the 3rd set in the life of the the truck. Are there any other pad brands available for these trucks that might last longer? I really like this truck. Going on 4 years of owning it but the brake life stinks. Thanks for your help
Mike

mud_man93
05-28-2002, 07:29 PM
what size truck is it. raybestos are the ones that i hve all ways used

morturf
05-28-2002, 10:44 PM
It is a Chevy W-4 which is the same as a Isuzu NPR. Hope that helps too. I have tried to find Raybestos but with no luck.:(
Hope to get a few more responses.....thanks for the help!
mike

Albemarle Lawn
06-24-2002, 12:42 AM
Over 16K on original brakes, showing virtually no wear.

Reason: The diesel exhaust brake. Hardly use foot brakes.

KB

Bill Kapaun
07-14-2002, 10:55 PM
Longer life pads will probably be a harder material and thus wear your rotors out faster. I've never changed pads on a truck, but they are very simple to do so on a car. I can change mine on my Honda in about 30 minutes total staring with the car on the ground, finding the tools, jacking thecar up, swap the pads...and the tools thrown back in the usual place.
Replacing rotors is going to be way more expensive and time consuming. You might just choose to stay with short pad life and a fatter wallet.
I don't know what your driving conditions are,but if you have a lot of stop and go traffic, your pad life may not really be that bad depending on how heavy of loads you haul.
Driving technique can make a major difference too. My brother had to replace brakes about twice as often as I did simply because he wouldn't anticipate traffic lights. A light would turn amber and he would still accelerate towards it if he wasn't up to the speed limit, instead of easing off the throttle. Braking from 35 MPH to a stop requires way more braking then from 25 MPH to a stop.

David Haggerty
07-15-2002, 06:34 AM
How much weight are you stopping? Are you towing a trailer? Are it's brakes OK?

You could have the brakes upgraded at a truck brake and spring shop.
I used to take UD trucks to upgrade shops for a truck leasing company. Your Chevy W-4 is the same type of truck. You can find these shops in major cities.

Dave