PDA

View Full Version : Good push mowers that don't break the bank??

aggiemower
01-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Just getting started. Need a couple of good push mowers that won't break the bank. I am looking at used Toro Pro Lines, but would like to buy new so I have warranty. Any thoughts? Thanks.

SangerLawn
01-18-2010, 10:33 PM
If you can afford it try and find a used 36 inch walk behind. Try the creigs list. You can probably get one for around $1,000 or less. If you cant then do what you have to do but it wont be long before you out grow your push mower. I mean like 10 lawns….at that point you will be wishing you didn’t waste your money on a push mower.

Like I said though…sometimes you have to do what you have to do….I started my business with a crappy push mower from lowes so don’t feel bad

Grass Shark
01-18-2010, 11:21 PM
if you can afford it try and find a used 36 inch walk behind. Try the creigs list. You can probably get one for around $1,000 or less. If you cant then do what you have to do but it wont be long before you out grow your push mower. I mean like 10 lawns….at that point you will be wishing you didn’t waste your money on a push mower.

Like i said though…sometimes you have to do what you have to do….i started my business with a crappy push mower from lowes so don’t feel bad

i agree 100%!

Lugnut
01-18-2010, 11:27 PM
If you are using this primarily I'd agree with the above comments. If you need 21'' like you said, then I'd look into Snapper, I've got one and like it, not sure what they're going for these days though. Another option is Honda. These are very good mowers also and are in the 600-700 range I believe. (From a dealer, the Home Depot Hondas are less)

AOD
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Snapper or Lawn-Boy. I'm also a big fan of the Personal Pace WB,s except that they suck on hills. The older Deere's with full pressure Kaw's and oil filters are great mowers, built like a tank and they run forever. Stay away from the newer Deere's, they are nothing like the older ones, the only reason I bought one was the price had been drastically reduced and I don't put that many hours on it.

bohiaa
01-19-2010, 11:29 PM
All GREAT advice, I could only think of one other thing to add.

Just starting out some get sticker shock. and go with homeowner mowers.
PLEASE do your self a favor and DONT DO THIS.

epicklein22
01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Find a few older lawnboys, especially if you can find the commercial grade ones. Parts aren't hard to find around here and they are tough machines. The ones with aluminum decks are extra lightweight too.

STIHL GUY
01-20-2010, 11:34 PM
for a 21'' toros are nice

Valk
01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
If you're side-discharging a lot, then I'll recommend the kind(s) that send the clippings directly out of the right side (...as opposed to the rear dis-charge chute out to the left). This style will perform much better in damp/dewy conditions....and the clipping dispersal is much better.

Some have a different opinion, but I liked my dealer sold Toro SR4/21s. They are residential...and go for less than $550 with a bag...~$500 w/o a bag. They would need a new set of back tires by the end of the Summer, but would otherwise run like a champ.

While I mostly side-discharged with them, when I did bag, I could leave the side-discharge chute open WHILE bagging...making for a multi-multi-use mower.

While I thought these Toro's did a pretty good job, they don't even come close to the cut quality of my Quickie 32.

Bustedblade
01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Bustedblade
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
For things that usually require a push mower, I have had great luck with a 32" Bunton walk behind, it fits thru gates and turns on a dime and, can be used with a bagger for leaves.
Mine is about 20 Years old and wearing it's new Kawasaki engine proudly.
Posted via Mobile Device

jeffslawnservice
01-21-2010, 03:10 PM
I picked up a Commercial Lawn Boy 2 stroke mower last year and that mower went through He!!. My brother used it to cut out lawn when I was away for a few dasy last summer and he but just straight gas in it and it still runs. Its also atleast 6 or 7 years old. Ive heared Toros and snappers are good too but I just havent used them. Cant go wrong with a lawnboy. But I also agree with just getting a 36 if possible.

AOD
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Does anyone still use any of the older (like late 90's) Hondas with composite decks? I used one at work one awhile back, very user-friendly and ergonomic, just not built to hold up to commercial conditions, i.e. plastic decks don't like headstones much.

twcw5804
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
I bought my first 36' mower off ebay for $700 it was an old exmark but in good condition. These mowers pretty as long as they run in good condition will always bring around that price. I used mine for 2 yrs made about $20k and then took it to the local mower shop and consigned it and got $600 for it.

If you are looking 21' I bought also off ebay some 2008 leftover Toro commercial I think the model number was 90058 it has a Kawasaki engine and personal pace. It retails at 1099 and bought it for $599 plus shipping. Dealers at this time of year have a lot of new leftovers for pretty much cost. Nows the time to get a deal. I bought mine 3rd week of february.

2cycled fruitcake
01-23-2010, 09:22 PM
keep rootin thru classifieds,
i found my 1st push mower for free, (alley orphaned)
2nd one thru craigslists for 40bucks

AzLawnMan
01-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Whats with going out and spending thousand(s) of dollars? When I started out I ran 3 honda cmmercial push mowers, even on acre lawns. I've been in business since 1990, I now own 3 Walker mowers and will usually buy a new one every 3 years or so and I still buy and use Honda commercial mowers I currently have 9. Why go out and break the bank before you have capital? Build some capital up first then make the big purchase. I see so many newbie's go out and buy a brand new trailer $2-3k, a new or used walk behind $1-3k, and all new equipment, all to go and do 5 yards. Doesnt make sense, your already in the hole before you have a shovel. Labor right now is cheaper than spending tons of money on new equipment. Buy some commercial grade mowers. Starting off slow doesnt mean your behind.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
01-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Yea . Honda Honda Honda

AOD
01-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Yea . Honda Honda Honda

Only one bad part about Hondas, replacement parts are very, very expensive, especially the hydrostatic drive WB they have. I'd rather have a high end Toro or Snapper with a genuine Honda engine.

Does any manufacturer still use the Kaw vertical shaft motors on their mowers?

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
01-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Only one bad part about Hondas, replacement parts are very, very expensive, especially the hydrostatic drive WB they have. I'd rather have a high end Toro or Snapper with a genuine Honda engine.

Does any manufacturer still use the Kaw vertical shaft motors on their mowers?

I have 4 Honda's at this time and the only thing that I have replaced what the drive cable where it broke at the end (PS that sucked trying to put that back on in a very very tight spot. They changed the hole end loop for that ). also have to get more tires for this one model that where slick. But never had to get the hole box. I did use a 215 older model that was over 10 years old with the 3 speed and It was kinda skippy if you did not engage it fast . Not like the hydro where you can feather it .

Betterlawncarellc
01-24-2010, 10:43 PM
I use the newer commercial snapper that is self-propelled, and paid right at $800 new with the bagger and side discharge...I really love this mower, but the comments about the walk-behinds are also true....You will definately out grow the push mower really quick...I bought the Better Quickie Dually 44" commercial walk-behind with the grass catcher, and sulky....It is an awesome mower and have not had a problem out of it in the couple years I have owned it...My dream mower and next purchase will be the Walker Super B or the GHS...Just my two cents though...Good luck this coming season every one!

AOD
01-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I did use a 215 older model that was over 10 years old with the 3 speed and It was kinda skippy if you did not engage it fast . Not like the hydro where you can feather it .

Thats like the older Deere's, even brand new the gear selector was kind of skippy and never wanted to stay in gear. I always liked the Snapper drive systems, it worked great as long as the little rubber wheel stayed dry.

posterlion
01-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Here's a freekin" herd of mowers for sale on craigslist. It looks like a fleet change! They got the recommeded style of side discharge and hey . . . Talk about having a backup! :)

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/1568963284.html