PDA

View Full Version : Will a Toro 4800 sweeper work on pine needles?

Copperleaf
01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
I am looking at buying a toro 4800 sweeper but wanted to be sure that it would work on pine needles first! Any information on this I would be greatful.
Thank You
Copperleaf

MarcSmith
01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Copper, I have the olathe unit from the early 80's its the design that toro purchased for theirs. it is pretty much unchanged over the last 15 years. it does very well on leaves and grass clippings. I don't get many pine needles, so I have no idea how well it works on pine. but being it works well on grass I see no reason why it would not work on pine.

have you driven one yet? they can be a handful

It does not "mulch" the debris up like a walker or a leaf vac. but it does pack well

Copperleaf
01-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I have not ran one yet can you fill me in this!

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
01-18-2010, 10:17 PM
test drive or rent one if you can and run it through a pine forest.

Copperleaf
01-18-2010, 10:23 PM
But the fact is I am located in a resort town far from any equipment rental or dealerships!

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter
01-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Thats a bumer. Hope someone will post up on some info

MarcSmith
01-18-2010, 10:31 PM
remember what riding on a tricycle was like...much the same

again ours is older, and maybe toro made some design changes, but its not the most comfortable seating/steering. engine is right beside the operator. heat/noise.

very very bouncy ride plus its a heavy machine once loaded its over a ton....

Have you gotten the price yet....:dizzy:

If I was a small company it would be hard to justify that kind of expense...on a "one trick wonder" which the 4800 is. its sole job is leaf/grass sweeping. I could spend the same amount on a nice walker with a high lift dump and have a machine that cuts the grass as well or spend a few thousand on a leaf vac for my ZTR. But the collection systems are not as good on needles.

I would ask the toro rep for a golf course super that is using the machine and give em a call.