PDA

View Full Version : Ext. cab or crew cab?

mowerbrad
01-18-2010, 11:03 PM
For my "new to me" truck I can't decide whether I should go with an ext. cab or a crew cab. The truck will be a 2002-2006 chevy or gmc 2500 short box. I've had guys say to me that they wished they would have waited to find a crew cab instead of their ext. cab. This truck will be both my personal truck and work truck, so I want something that is functional for both situations. I've looked at some crew cabs and they are nice but yet they do make the truck really long. The ext. cabs are obviously shorter in length but I don't really know how much shorter or if it will make a big difference. I would like to be able to fit 4 adults in the vehicle (including myself) comfortably for short trips.

So what are you guys finding to be better, ext. or crew cabs? I need some advise/opinions.

MikeKle
01-18-2010, 11:27 PM
My Dodge is a 4 door crew cab and it is nice when you have a group of people going somewhere, but when youre out working, its kinda useless. Plus, if you will ever have to put a baby seat in your truck, a crew cab makes it that much easier. Overall, I am glad I got the crew cab just for those times when you do need it. Its really not that much more than a extended cab anyway, nowadays they make way more crew cabs than ex cabs too.

collegefundms
01-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Every single one of my trucks is Crew cab I just cant come to the decision to make my guys so squished in an ext. I personally think they look better most of the time.

mowerbrad
01-19-2010, 12:05 AM
I've noticed that the newer ext cabs seem to be bigger than the older ext. cabs, so that makes me feel a little better about and ext. cab. But yet that crew cab will be much more comfortable for people sitting in the back, especially if I take the truck on a trip.

But when I buy this truck, I want to do it right. I don't want to regret buying an ext. cab or crew cab a couple years down the road. I just want to make sure that I'm happy with my vehicle and won't have any regrets.

whitebp1
01-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Im battling the reg cab vs crew cab idea myself. each has its own advantages. reg cab - better turning easier to get around, cant really take anyone with you (which to me is a plus!! no bumming rides!) the crew cab would be nice b.c it offers more space for things clothes, tools, paper work etc etc plus if i ever had to take the kids somewhere it would be easier. i can get a 12ft dump f-450 7.3 diesel with 70-120k miles. in either reg cab or crew cab for 13k-16k depending on milage.just cant decide what i want reg or crew.

Evan528
01-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I have one of each and definitely prefer the crew cab. Much roomier inside and nice not to have to open the front door first so that you can open the back door like you have to on a ext cab.

rcslawncare
01-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Go sit in both of the body you want! In the rear that is. I did that and I now have a crew cab. Not that I ever ride back there, but mine fold down and there is a lot of interior room in the back!

mowerbrad
01-19-2010, 01:00 AM
When I test drove one truck I found, I did sit in the back to see how it was. The truck was an ext. cab and had much more leg room than older ext. cabs I've rode in, but I don't know how comfy it would be for someone if they were to be in there for an extended period of time (ie, road trip). I have yet to find a crew cab near me, so I haven't really sat in one yet.

I think on chevy's website the current 2010 2500 crew cabs are only 9 inches longer than the ext. cabs (overall truck length). So I guess it shouldn't be too much of a difference.

Any other opinons are greatly appreciated.

rcslawncare
01-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Either way, its going to be a good upgrade from the regular cab!!!!

overtime mp
01-19-2010, 02:58 AM
I have a ext cab have had one sence 2005. Now that I'm getting old planning a family any with work I am going to get crew cab I have taken plenty of trip with 4 adults in truck with a ext and they never complain just have to move seat up a bit but the crew is a lot better if rear person wants out the front won't have open the doors. More room under seats to.
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
01-19-2010, 09:05 AM
When Im working, I have my back seat crammed with junk, and tools, but try to keep it all in big plastic totes, so nothing will tear up or stain the seats. I do not think you will regret buying a crew cab, if just for the added space.

AI Inc
01-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Take 1 for a rdie and try parking it in a parking space. You answer will be there.

Evan528
01-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Take 1 for a rdie and try parking it in a parking space. You answer will be there.

You gotta park at the end of the lot......they will not fit into a normal spot without sticking out 4ft past the other cars. still worth it.

mowerbrad
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
When I test drove a 2002 2500 ext. cab long box last week, that thing was like driving a bus. It was too big for most parking spaces. But it was also longer than a crew cab short box, by like a 1.5' too. So I already know that anything with a long box is out of the question. There is only a 9" difference between the ext. cab and crew cab short boxes, so I'm guessing that 9" isn't going to make much of a difference.

stroker51
01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
If you have the option, definatly get the crew cab. The only reason I would go away from one now would be if I just found a screaming deal on a regular cab or ext cab to replace mine...as it is I found a deal on another crew cab, so no compromise. I would imagine a newer chevy like that will turn a little tighter than my 01 Ford, and I have no problems parking it wherever I want. I don't use it for much more than plowing, so to me it's my car too, and it's not bad to get around in at all. But I stepped up to it from my former daily driver now work truck that is a 96 F250 ext. cab long bed....not terrible to drive but definately a long truck.

LewisLawn
01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
too confuse you a bit more i have had three variations first was a 96 ext cab dodge ram, the truck doesn't have the third door option which sucks when an adult has to get in the back does however offer a backseat that accommodates things that I need to keep safe and dry...I then had a chevy 1500 this had the third door option, (now they have dual rear doors) the chevy took it too Alabama with my wife, mother and father comfortable enough for the four of us...it would also accommodate the four of us and a car seat for our baby but we soon moved up to a tahoe b/c of the added doors...now i have so called downsized to a dakota quadcab the overall dimensions of the dakota are larger than my original Ram 1500...the dakota parks better than the Ram but that is due to the lowering kit on the Ram, gas mileage is better on the ram 318cui then the chevy 350cui and the dakota 288cui, why because of the rearend....all 3 had toneau covers...if i were to do it again I would go for a fullsize quadcab because I believe around here it would be easier to resell...only commercial guys have reg cabs, very few ext cabs on the road usually guys who want a little extra storage space most frequently seen is the quadcab, because after work you can throw in the kids and go to the track with the bikes/atv/sleds or down to the pub with the guys and the wife will also get in because you can keep a place clean and comfortable for her

mowerbrad
01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Okay, so it looks like I'm going to be shooting for a crew cab. With everyones responses, it sounds like a crew would be the best choice. And after reviewing the dimensions of these trucks, the length really isn't all that different between ext. and crew cabs. And since I would also like to keep this truck for a while, I want one that will be able to do everything I need and then some. So sounds like a crew cab will be my best option.

360ci
01-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Okay, so it looks like I'm going to be shooting for a crew cab.

Good choice!

JPsDuramax
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Very good choice. You won't regret it. And with time you'll learn how to park a big truck...just push the other cars out of the way! :laugh: Best of luck in your search.

Chilehead
01-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Not that it will answer your question, but considering that we're talking trucks here I'll add my 2 cents. A regular cab long bed pickup is your best bet in this biz UNLESS you plan on regularly having more than 2 guys ride in it at a time. Cargo space/payload is the name of the game. If you're using it as your personal vehicle too, then sure get a crew cab-forget extended. But if this is going to be your primary work truck, I'd stick with a regular cab.
I am needing to get a new truck very badly, but am trying to squeeze out every last drop of use out of it considering that it is payed for. Ideally, I'd like a 3/4 ton truck for what I do, but just don't like the terrible fuel economy all of them get.

Cuttinitclose
01-21-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a ext. cab w/ a "standard" box (6'5"). I wish I had gotten a crew cab with a standard.

GravelyNut
01-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I have an extended cab long bed dually. It isn't any harder to park than a Crew cab short bed. I just take 4 spaces instead of 2 to do it. :D

rcslawncare
01-21-2010, 09:57 PM
I have an extended cab long bed dually. It isn't any harder to park than a Crew cab short bed. I just take 4 spaces instead of 2 to do it. :D

Very nice! lol

johnnybravo8802
01-21-2010, 10:11 PM
My Dodge is a 4 door crew cab and it is nice when you have a group of people going somewhere, but when youre out working, its kinda useless. Plus, if you will ever have to put a baby seat in your truck, a crew cab makes it that much easier. Overall, I am glad I got the crew cab just for those times when you do need it. Its really not that much more than a extended cab anyway, nowadays they make way more crew cabs than ex cabs too.
Actually the Dodge is not a true crew cab, it's a 4-door quad cab. They have a 4-door and a mega cab. For 2010, Dodge is coming out with an actual crew cab versus the 4-door Quad. Now the Ford is an actual crew cab and it has quite a bit more room than the Dodge. For hauling people, the ext. cab just doesn't cut it-you need, at least, a 4-door. If you're by yourself and just want extra room to put your paperwork, the ext. cab is fine.

mowerbrad
01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
The more I look into it, the more I realize that a crew cab will be a good option. Its only about 1.5 feet longer than my current truck so, it won't be too bad. But it seems like it will be most useful to me as both a personal and work truck. I appreciate all the feedback guys!!

AdamChrap
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
If you want to every put four adults in go with the crew cab. You get use to the extra two feet. You will never say "I wish this cab was smaller".

johnnybravo8802
01-21-2010, 11:55 PM
My 03' Quad cab 1500 has been anything and everything. It's my business truck, personal truck, and I put my wife and two kids in it. I even haul my two rottweiler's around in the back seat-couldn't do that with a regular cab or an extended cab. I use the back seat as much as the front-blowers, gloves, paper work, coolers, extra help, etc., etc. I couldn't live w/o the back seat!!!!!!:clapping::clapping:

mowerbrad
01-22-2010, 12:07 AM
When I put my fire gear inside my current truck, it takes up pretty much the whole passenger seat. So if I have fire gear with me, its pretty much a one person cab. It'd be nice to have a truck that I can keep what I need to with me and still have a couple people ride with me. I really just need as much room as possible in the cab.