PDA

View Full Version : We always hear about the PITA's but how about a good one

sehitchman
01-18-2010, 11:06 PM
One of our best customers asked that we remove a giant holly bush (tree, about 18' tall) from near their front door a few weeks ago when we were doing some other clean up. They are very particular about the landscape and turf, so since it was so wet I suggested they allow us to wait until things dried out a bit. We removed the offending bush Saturday morning. It took about 30 min to dig it out, fill the hole and replace the mulch. Since we had the trailer loaded we ran the quick 36 with the Aluminum grass catcher over the yard. It was covered with pine straw and leaves again since the fall cleanup. The yard looked great after the quick mow&vac. All told, about 1 1/4 hours for the two of us including transport both ways. I did not even go to the door, figured we would do this one just as customer service since they treated us so good all season, and paid for the fall cleanup. Went to have lunch and when we got home the customer was there waiting for me. He said I brought you a check, told him I didn't' expect to be paid for the work. He paid us $125, I love days like that!:)

bugguy8
01-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Tells me what kind of an LCO you are.....

Keep up the good work...

meicher806
01-19-2010, 12:10 AM
We picked up a new customer this fall, snow removal and mowing this comming summer. they have a disabled son in a wheel chair. they asked that we try to get the snow done before the bus comes, I asked them what times and told them we will try our hardest. (I would never guarentee times dealing with snow). so far all year we have been there 10 min before there son gets picked up or dropped off. I figured we were doing our job, not looking for anything special just doing what needed to be done. I got there payment for december the other day with a letter and a second check. they were so impressed with our service, said they have never seen any service like it with out getting taken around the block. It is nice to feel the love sometimes..:clapping:

grassman177
01-19-2010, 12:25 AM
i would have charged for my time, not that i am greedy, but that is a pretty large job to do for free. a small request is usually never charged for if they have been good to us

but, that is a very uplifting story. thanks for sharing

sehitchman
01-19-2010, 12:36 AM
i would have charged for my time, not that i am greedy, but that is a pretty large job to do for free. a small request is usually never charged for if they have been good to us

but, that is a very uplifting story. thanks for sharing

The bush removal was part of the Fall clean up quote. The second pickup of the yard was the freebie. About 1600 sf.

DLAWNS
01-19-2010, 03:25 AM
It's nice when a customer appreciates all the hard work.

OSU 09
01-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Well done! Its always nice to see that there are actually people out there who appreciate what we do.

LewisLawn
01-19-2010, 09:15 AM
I agree it is nice to have those types of clients I have one which has brought me better than half of my nonseasonal work. I also mow for his uncle and since his uncle is usually at work when I mow, he pays me for the service I do at his uncles. If he, himself is not home when I mow he will stop by the place of employment for my wife and drop the payment off to my wife...last season he was layed off from work so when it came time to do his usually mulching I only charged him for material b/c of all the work he had already gotten for me that year. He was grateful...

STIHL GUY
01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
its great to have good customer like that. if you take carof them they will in return take care of you

grassman177
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
i understand now, then perfect. that was a great way to show your appreciation to them, and in turn them for you.

Dugann
01-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Great story! So nice when events like that happen. Makes you feel appreciated.

stroker51
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
These are always great. I've had a few customers tip me big for no reason other than to show appreciation. There have been a few that just make a point of telling me how much they appreciate whatever it was we were doing....most recently a new snow account of ours that I have been mowing for a few years and just not got the snow, small commercial place, called as i was going to deal with a pita snow customer, just to thank me for the service we provided and how much better of a job my guys did than the previous provider, always makes your day to hear something good. Hang on to customers like that!!!

CircleC
01-20-2010, 02:31 AM
I have 2 customers that are just awesome! The one guy I have had for 3 years, his lawn looked so good the last few years he has given me a cash tip ($100) told me to take my wife out. Another time, he was last for the day, was about 105 out. When I finished up and was about to blow the side walks he came out and gave me a Mikes hard lemonade. Best damn drink i ever had. Since I started servicing his lawn I have picked up 6 of his neighbors, high end neighborhood with homes in the 500k to 1mil. Park in 1 spot and knock them out. Awesome guy and AWAYS pays on time.

The other is a lady (husband past a year ago Nov)...1st customer I every picked up. I have had her for 4 years. Always makes me snacks and smoothies. Has always treated me with kindness and respect (something you dont always get in this biz). Her husband was the best guy I have ever met....had been retired since 1980 from Ohio Bell and he was in upper managment, so he always had selling tips for me or other biz advice for me. At the beginning of this last year she was probably not gunna need me (financial issues since husband passed). I did it anyway with out pay.....late in the year she payed for the entire year! Was not expecting it. Hopefully I will have her for a long time to come....well, she has a friend in me for sure!

STIHL GUY
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
i have a few that tip me and then one of my customers neighbor always gives me a soda. he said he doesnt have any problems with his currrent guy but otherwise he would have me mowing for him

pitrack
01-22-2010, 04:54 PM
That's a good story!

We picked up a new customer this fall, snow removal and mowing this comming summer. they have a disabled son in a wheel chair. they asked that we try to get the snow done before the bus comes, I asked them what times and told them we will try our hardest. (I would never guarentee times dealing with snow). so far all year we have been there 10 min before there son gets picked up or dropped off. I figured we were doing our job, not looking for anything special just doing what needed to be done. I got there payment for december the other day with a letter and a second check. they were so impressed with our service, said they have never seen any service like it with out getting taken around the block. It is nice to feel the love sometimes..:clapping:

It's always nice getting an extra check, or even just a little letter saying thank you in the monthly bill envelope. Just makes you feel like they appreciate the work you do for them.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
01-23-2010, 03:45 PM
I have a customer that I was going to give to another cutter because they were somewhat out of the way. I told them I would make sure they got someone that provided the same quality that we did. I had taken over the account half way thru the season in 07 because the previous mower scalped a lot. I was already cutting the lawn for $10 more then the previous company and they insisted on paying me more just to keep me coming back. On top of that, at Christmas time they gift $250 each year. needless to say,I will be servicing this account as long as I'm in business.
It's great to have customers like that.

James

zgrrl
01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
One of my mowing/feed/seed customers is ALWAYs complimentary, sends a thank you note at the end of the season, and when asks for extra small jobs, tells me to make sure i bill them for it.

I think its luck running in to such folks, and I make an effort to keep them.

Not too many PITAs all in all, and you got to find a way to weed them out over time.:nono: