PDA

View Full Version : weekly mowing???

capekev
01-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Hi guy's, I'm starting a lawn maintenance company this spring, I've been part time for three years, got laid off from my regular job and feel it's now or never for this... I only have 8 acct. and desperately need more, I was thinking of advertising $35 a lawn, I figure working harder is better than not working at all.... What do you animals think?

Thanks for your help fellas....
:usflag:

xclusive
01-19-2010, 12:31 AM
I think it might be better for you to have a price range especially if you are advertising cause not all lawns are the same size and that price might scare some customers away.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-19-2010, 08:36 AM
I think it might be better for you to have a price range especially if you are advertising cause not all lawns are the same size and that price might scare some customers away.

Hell, not even a price range because you never know how big properties can be. Find yourself an hourly rate and go with that. Do not put a price on your advertising
Posted via Mobile Device

echeandia
01-19-2010, 10:00 AM
There is nothing wrong with putting something like "Single family homes from $35" in your ad.

MileHigh
01-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Sounds good.

I can still make money off of $25/wk lawns...

I'm in and out in around 10-15 min, including drive.

clean_cut
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
I would try to get as many houses in the same area as possible, like 5 in the same neighborhood would be wonderful, much less drive time.

I wouldn't put $35 for every home though, maybe starting at $25 for most homes or something. Or maybe put an hourly rate for labor on there.

capekev
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the input guys, this site has been and continues to be a big help for me. The area that I'm targeting is Milton/Quincy/Boston MA, I was thinking of having the add say something like, "First 25 spring contracts get lawn cut for $35 a week guaranteed" The lawns in this area go any were from $35-$75 a week, but most are right around $45-
I definitely agree that I shouldn't mention prices, but I am in a tough spot right now with this economy, I'm a local 4 heavy equipment operator and I've been ridding the pine (laid-off) for a year and a half my unemployment is gonzo. I need to make something happen! I'm sick of relying on other people for work! Some times it takes something like this to happen to give you the motivation you need to go out on your own. I should have done this 3 years ago.
Thanks again guys, and sorry for rambling on...hahaha

STIHL GUY
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
it would be great if you got a bunch of lawns right near each other

capekev
01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Oh, and if any one is interested, I'm looking to trade my 1999 Yamaha Banshee for a stander, or ride on mower. It looks and runs great, VERY FAST it goes around 90mph if your crazy enough.
Thanks, and here are some pictures of it... I'd be willing to take a road trip for the right mower.

capekev
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
it would be great if you got a bunch of lawns right near each other

Thanks, That would be nice. I could try and offer a group deal or something maybe.???
Is that a Bobcat Ransome? I sold mine last year when I was working nights and couldn't handle landscaping part time. Now I wish I never sold that thing!!! It put great lines just sucked cutting wet grass.

xclusive
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the input guys, this site has been and continues to be a big help for me. The area that I'm targeting is Milton/Quincy/Boston MA, I was thinking of having the add say something like, "First 25 spring contracts get lawn cut for $35 a week guaranteed" The lawns in this area go any were from $35-$75 a week, but most are right around $45-
I definitely agree that I shouldn't mention prices, but I am in a tough spot right now with this economy, I'm a local 4 heavy equipment operator and I've been ridding the pine (laid-off) for a year and a half my unemployment is gonzo. I need to make something happen! I'm sick of relying on other people for work! Some times it takes something like this to happen to give you the motivation you need to go out on your own. I should have done this 3 years ago.
Thanks again guys, and sorry for rambling on...hahaha

On my postcards that I am passing out I put "weekly lawn maintenance starting at $27" cause some lawns are bigger and cost more but yet that line usually will peek most people's interested cause the average lawn by goes for $30-$40 a week.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi guy's, I'm starting a lawn maintenance company this spring, I've been part time for three years, got laid off from my regular job and feel it's now or never for this... I only have 8 acct. and desperately need more, I was thinking of advertising $35 a lawn, I figure working harder is better than not working at all.... What do you animals think?

Thanks for your help fellas....
:usflag:

Animals? I suppose there are a few party animals on here.
At any rate, make sure you get into the biz because you like to do it and do a good job of it. Don't do this out of desperation only....it will only lead to problems down the road.
I would not put a fixed rate on lawns for mowing, unless the lawns you are targeting are very uniform in size. You really need to speak eyeball to eyeball with prospects to earn their trust and biz.

nepatsfan
02-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Dont mow lawns for 25 bucks it isnt worth it. $40 minimum. Its the going rate. No one mows lawns for 25 bucks around here. Smarten up kevin.