PDA

View Full Version : This is going to change how landscapers and other small business's get paid!

soloscaperman
01-19-2010, 02:26 AM
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Square-Jack-Dorsey-Credit-Card,news-5589.html

Go watch the video that is half way down, they show how you can scan credit cards on your cell phone. It will be out in a few months but only for Iphones first. I guess its time to finally buy a new cell phone.

topsites
01-19-2010, 02:43 AM
That sure would be nice, it's the only thing that's kept me from accepting CC's all these years.

THC
01-19-2010, 04:42 AM
For that I'd give up the blackberry. But are they saying ANYONE can accept credit cards? There must be more to it. They are insinuating that you do not have to be set up to accept CC's.

dishboy
01-19-2010, 07:03 AM
I can't see how that changes anything , I never see 90% of my clients

lawnangel1
01-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Exactly. If someone pays us with a cc they just call us up and give us the number and we punch it in. Its a neat gadget but a little unsecure and unprofessional in my view.

MarcSmith
01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I would hate to have to do point of sale transactions at every customer. gonna add an hour to your day easy...

topsites
01-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Exactly. If someone pays us with a cc they just call us up and give us the number and we punch it in. Its a neat gadget but a little unsecure and unprofessional in my view.

I can see what you mean in terms of transmission intercepts...
I can actually catch certain cellular calls on my scanner, they're not supposed to bleed over into those frequencies...

And I've heard folks keying in their numbers for an over-the-phone banking transaction,
now if I were a hacker all I would need is some device that decodes the keypad tones.
Whether that would get me any sort of useful backdoor access is another story, but it's still scary.

I do however REFUSE to use a knuckle buster, that's no better than getting a check in terms of NSF issues.

I would hate to have to do point of sale transactions at every customer. gonna add an hour to your day easy...

No worse than having to make out all the bills and depositing the checks.

C&R_Lawn_Care
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
i have tha app on my iphone and i love it ....

besides long care i teach Cpl or call CCW classes and i have alot of those customers pay that way..

MarcSmith
01-19-2010, 11:39 AM
No worse than having to make out all the bills and depositing the checks.

I could print/fold/mail 300 bills in 2 hours. you figure even if it only took 60 seconds for each transaction. each month you be into 5 hours just swiping credit cards. Banks were easy. write up a deposit slip and drop in the mail.. and now with the home check scanners its even easier...

besides once you go t home you'd still need to get into QB and reconcile the account to show that you've been paid....

Handy...yes revolutionize the lawn care industry...hardly... Nextel has had card readers for quite some time...

Kutz Lawns
01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
And after the CC company takes their percentage...............?

Kutz Lawns
01-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Agreed, I don't see 95% of mine!

soloscaperman
01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I am just saying for new customers or if your doing big jobs. My customers are rich and retired or there wives are always home. I can see if you have 300 clients but I bet not even 80% of people on lawnsite have that amount.

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
won't work, especially with the credit cards starting to have built in chips in them

FastMan
01-19-2010, 04:14 PM
And after the CC company takes their percentage...............?

Bingo! --------------------

Triplex
01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
This is a different program from the one Soloscaperman started the thread with, but I thought people here might find it useful. Billing Manager from Intuit is an online tool for small businesses to handle customer billing. You can access it on the road from your iPhone.

http://billingmanager.intuit.com/

Grass Shark
01-19-2010, 05:20 PM
The only time I see most of my clients is christmas week when I take them a bottle of wine or when I come out for a big job, are your most of your clients home when you service?

Hoy landscaping
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
i think a hook up with like paypal on your website is a good idea. customers can pay online