PDA

View Full Version : New engine for Toro G3

FastMan
01-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Just noticed there's now a 29 hp Kohler EFI being offered as an engine option on the new G3. Cool. Exmark Lazer Z does not have it listed as an option.

Anyone familiar with this engine? I'm assuming it's new, as I haven't noticed it anywhere before. Follow the link below to see the specs sheet.

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/zmaster/g3/micro/specs.html

FastMan
01-19-2010, 04:14 AM
Here we go,,, a press release from Kohler. They say Exmark will be using it too. Apparently Toro is more on top of keeping their website current.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/press/article.htm?articleId=productionefi

Mickhippy
01-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Wonder if its a "tweaked" 28 efi?

FastMan
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Could be. They say they're employing the same closed loop system. Press release says they're going to have their entire Compand Pro line of engines converted to this EFI system this year. Price competitive with carbs. Looks like the day of the carb is coming to a screeching halt.

Mickhippy
01-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Could be. They say they're employing the same closed loop system. Press release says they're going to have their entire Compand Pro line of engines converted to this EFI system this year. Price competitive with carbs. Looks like the day of the carb is coming to a screeching halt.

Finally, but 12mths to late for me anyway!

I had the 28efi on a SuperZ and found it under powered a little. Was ok for most part but add a hill it wasnt to flash. A 34efi on a SZ would be great!

FastMan
01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Finally, but 12mths to late for me anyway!

I had the 28efi on a SuperZ and found it under powered a little. Was ok for most part but add a hill it wasnt to flash. A 34efi on a SZ would be great!

Hmmmm. Underpowered, aye? Funny, I demo'd a 29 hp Kaw last summer on a lazer, and also an EFI 29 Kaw on a turf tiger. The carbed kaw seemed to have ample power, while the EFI kaw was a terribly lacking in power.

This is for the engine experts out there. Does EFI have a negative affect on power output? What about the performance characteristic comparisons between liquid cooled EFI and air cooled EFI? That's for helping a dumb jock out.

pugs
01-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Hmmmm. Underpowered, aye? Funny, I demo'd a 29 hp Kaw last summer on a lazer, and also an EFI 29 Kaw on a turf tiger. The carbed kaw seemed to have ample power, while the EFI kaw was a terribly lacking in power.

This is for the engine experts out there. Does EFI have a negative affect on power output? What about the performance characteristic comparisons between liquid cooled EFI and air cooled EFI? That's for helping a dumb jock out.

The one on the lazer was probably the 852cc FX series engine vs the 745cc FD DFI one on the turf tiger. Plus the turf tiger has a drive shaft and gear box sucking a little extra power before it gets to the deck.

But the 100cc difference is probably where you notice the difference. Not so much the power but the torque. There is no replacement for displacement.

FastMan
01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks, pugs. I see the new Kohler 29 EFI is 747cc, similar in cc size to the tiger's. Hmmmm,,, now I'm leary.

balreadysaid
08-08-2010, 08:52 PM
i want to know what the gallons per hour are on this g3 with the kohler efi. and if it lacks power or if it works good.

mybowtie
08-09-2010, 01:30 AM
I demoed 2 60" g3's a few weeks ago.. One with the new 29 koh efi and the other wth a 29 kaw carb. The efi stumbled bad when engageing the blades ans lost power and speed going up a slight hill in heavy grass. I was impressed with the kaw though. Was thinking of getting the 34 kaw, but the 29 was great. I ended up ordering the 29 kaw. The koh efi may do well with a smaller deck, but I dont think it would like a bagger though...:usflag: