PDA

View Full Version : Quicker Spring Greenup

Smallaxe
01-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Has anyone used charcoal, for a quicker greenup?

http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/Athletic+Turf+News/Rio-Vista-stop-a-treat-for-STMA-guests/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/492287?contextCategoryId=3232&searchString=charcoal

"Calcaterra said that the growing season for the Bermuda can be anywhere from 160 to 190 days. In the spring he applies a layer of activated charcoal to the fields to help them green up."

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-19-2010, 09:35 PM
axe - do you want to apply this concept to northern turfgrasses?
What do you care what ac charcoal does to bermuda?

Smallaxe
01-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Right, there should be basic principles that apply.

Unfortuneately the article didn't give much reason - Why it works. I have a few sandy spots that I will try the innoculated charcoal on, and this article tends to indicate that the earlier in the spring - the better.

I was wondering if anyone ever heard of this b4. There are always a lot of threads that want their lawn be the first to come alive, so I thought maybe this had been tried.

RigglePLC
01-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Smallaxe,
May I suggest--water the grass. Use well water, (at about 55 degrees) not Lake Michigan water (at about 39 degrees in March). The warm water will thaw the soil and roots and encourage quick green up. If you have some sun, a pool-type solar blanket might help--and if manipulated at the right time of day--take advantage of warm sun and keep the soil warm during cold nights. All is relative to soil temps at various depths, I would guess. Rye will be quicker than most sod-type bluegrasses. Maybe the athletic field people have more experience relative to this.

Smallaxe
01-20-2010, 11:00 PM
No one here starts up their wells or irrigation until May. :)

Hoots
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Most everywhere the first spring green up-the first to be set back by a late frost. Don't get impatient. Don't force anything.

Smallaxe
01-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Most everywhere the first spring green up-the first to be set back by a late frost. Don't get impatient. Don't force anything.

Up here the cool season grasses aren't stopped much by frost, once the ground warms enough , for the grass to grow. We can get frosts well into May and sometimes it happens in June. But the grass mowing is generally well underway from late March to mid April. :)

tnwildcat
01-21-2010, 06:35 PM
On bent grass golf greens we did apps of Iron and you see results within a couple of days. That was liquid app of 6%. Granular will take a little longer.

Smallaxe
01-22-2010, 09:19 AM
On bent grass golf greens we did apps of Iron and you see results within a couple of days. That was liquid app of 6%. Granular will take a little longer.

Are you saying the turf is dormant when you apply the Fe and it wakes up quicker?

Or is the turf already growing, and changes color in a couple of days?

mdlwn1
01-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I once used a patio heater....lol...j/k
Can someone actually answer this guys question?

tnwildcat
01-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Even on dormant grasses in the SE US you will see good results with iron. Not very good with proper management timing north of Mason Dixon line. I would try iron app a couple of weeks before first cut or fert app.

Smallaxe
01-23-2010, 09:44 AM
I once used a patio heater....lol...j/k
Can someone actually answer this guys question?

??...???...