PDA

View Full Version : Cutting back Liriope?

hef37087
01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Is there a best time to cut Liriope? I know it needs to be cut back before spring growth. I see it cut back to the ground in fall with a weedeater, however the LCO I worked for yrs ago always cut it back by hand in Jan. or Feb. Opinions on which way is better? I personally don't like the way the weedeater cuts it, it looks jagged and uneven.

mdlwn1
01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Doesnt really matter when. Depends on how good it looks. The winter interest is the berries....but if the plant is looking terrible...cut it. Other wise in spring.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Prune it anytime. Spring is best though. There are many ways to cut it back. If the customer is willing to pay for it; hand prune ti with scissors... yes, kitchen or utility scissors. It's kinda time consuming though. A pushmower with a bagger then a weedeater box out is also acceptable if the job warrants it.

grassman177
01-19-2010, 11:47 AM
we do it in early spring, we use hand shears , one guy holds it up in a bundle, the other cuts it clean and repeat.

echeandia
01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
We hand trim it. Fall or spring is fine.

hef37087
01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys, that helps. We used to use the two man way with hand shears when applicable. I still like doing it by hand. Its more time, but looks better than chopping with machines.

grassmasterswilson
01-20-2010, 05:02 PM
here in eastern north carolina I do it in feburary. we either trim with the weedeater or mow it down with a mower and trim up edges with weedeater.

dKoester
01-20-2010, 05:09 PM
We cut ours back in late Feb. Right before the shoots start to sprout. The plants leaves are important in the winter for making sugar for the upcoming year.

Az Gardener
01-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I have never seen them cut back here in Az although I would like to, ours get lots of burnt tips because of high Ph. How long does it take for them to recover?

jbell36
01-20-2010, 09:40 PM
i've wondered this before as well, apparently it doesn't REALLY matter but spring is usually best, i'm sure as you know since it's kind of a general rule of thumb...i had a master gardener tell me to raise the mower to as high as it can go with a bag on it and simply mow it...we will touch up the rest with a weedeater...i like this style because it's a nice clean cut...that's my .02 cents, hopefully it's correct ha...

jbell36
01-20-2010, 09:44 PM
another factor is if we are doing a clean up and leaves keep getting stuck in it we will just go ahead and mow it off, which is usually in spring or fall anyways...i personally think it looks better throughout the winter when it is NOT cut off, just like pampas grass, so i guess it just depends on the situation and how bad the customer wants it done at that point...

PerfectEarth
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Yup, late February to early March around here. In large beds, pushmowing works great with a weedeater for touch-ups- then blow out the leftovers and sometimes hit it again to get the matted down parts.

betmr
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
We use a mulching lawn mower in the fall.

Az Gardener
02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I cut some down to the dirt with hand pruners at my home about 2-3 weeks ago. It has grown about 3" only problem is it is like turf that has been mowed. They have flat top/ends not nice new tips like I expected :mad:.

I expected/hoped to see fresh new tips emerge from the base and have it come back looking like a new plant. So I'm bummed and wondering if new shoots will emerge soon or is this just it. I would welcome comments from someone who commonly cuts theirs back.

LB1234
02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I cut some down to the dirt with hand pruners at my home about 2-3 weeks ago. It has grown about 3" only problem is it is like turf that has been mowed. They have flat top/ends not nice new tips like I expected :mad:.

I expected/hoped to see fresh new tips emerge from the base and have it come back looking like a new plant. So I'm bummed and wondering if new shoots will emerge soon or is this just it. I would welcome comments from someone who commonly cuts theirs back.

here in jersey I'll cut it all the way back with hedgetrimmers during our spring cleanup (mid-march-ish). We will cover it lightly with mulch to cover up the eye soar. Within 2-3 weeks (depending on whether) a bunch of new shoots will appear.

JNyz
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
You can trim it anytime before the new growth starts to shoot in the NE.. If you trim it too late you will cut off the nice new tips.

IN2MOWN
02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Spring is fine. Its pretty hearty. I have a customer who has about 100 of them lining a sidewalk. I take my trimmer, chop it all down and rake it up.

MarkintheGarden
02-25-2010, 03:33 PM

You will see new tips, I am sure of that, but I do not know what if anything you could do to help it. Fertilizer would probably help. I do not know what exactly makes the plant change from growing the old blade to starting new growth. Likely a hormone shift and probably caused by temperature or light cycles.

Here, in the midwest the old blades will not grow after winter, but I see the problem when we cut it during the season. I am not sure that in Arizona you should bother cutting it back?

Az Gardener
03-03-2010, 01:11 AM
The tips on clients plants are fried (salt burn) from previous contractor. I cut mine back as an experiment. Now they are 5-6" tall and still flat top and no new shoots. I will hit them with some fertilizer and see what happens.

jrodgers
03-03-2010, 10:48 AM
I cut them back with hedge trimmer and rake them up in the spring, with the spring clean-up. Has to be done before the new shoots come out or yes they get a flat top. If they do start to come out before you can get to them, then just cut right above the new growth and they will fill right in over the old growth. Or if they get to far on the new growth just cut the old leave around the base and the top will fill in over the old leaves with no "box top". They do continue to grow so dont worry about the box top now it will eventually fill in.