PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Need to Get in Touch with Caterpillar or Case Corporate for Haiti Aid

ARP
01-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Ok all, I need your help.

Through contacts on the ground in the region, I've learned that the Caterpillar and Case dealers in the Dominican have full fleets of equipment available that could be put to immediate use in any recovery efforts.

I've already had conversations with my Deere contacts that is leading to some high level conversations, but I don't have any way to get in touch with people high up in Caterpillar or Case.

I know there are several dealer representatives from these two companies and many others that watch and/or participate on these forums. I would appreciate any help that these people could provide in getting me in touch with their corporate "parents." If you want to remain anonymous and not respond to this thread, you can reach me on my cell at 508 944 8740, my email at Andrew@arplante.com, or a personal message on the forum here.

So far I have a commitment from 3 operators/business owners (including myself) to travel to to the region and begin coordinating on the ground with the recovery efforts. All we need now are contacts within companies that may be able to provide access to equipment in the region.

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

curtisfarmer
01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Go for it ARP!

Just a thought on how others like myself could help. Although I cannot go with you, I would be willing to something back here to support you and your efforts. I was thinking about your organization lining up stuff for us to do with our own equipment - crew - materials with the results (whether it be $, advertising, spreading the word, or helping repatriated Haitiens) going to support your recovery effort.

:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag:

Tigerotor77W
01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Email sent.

KTM
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Nice that your willing to help. Have you checked to see if they even want volunteers? From what I have heard there are thousands of people that want to go there, but they really do not want anyone unless you have specific training. Equipment is easily stolen there and put up for ransom, so manufacturers are probably only going to lend to certain organizations's. My father in law goes there almost yearly, hearing about it before, I can only imagine what it is like down there now.

ARP
01-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys.

I have several calls in to aid organizations and am working on getting higher up the chain in the Red Cross. There is a lot stacked against going there, so I'll see what happens.

Curtis- Thanks for your offer to help- I'll take you up on it. Even if the Haiti trip does not work, I am still planning on gathering resources for a domestic response this year. I'll be in touch with you soon.

ksss
01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
I have sent this post, hopefully you will hear something shortly from CASE.

whitebp1
01-19-2010, 11:36 PM
i dont believe that clean up is on the formost agenda right now. I belive that its more of a rescue/feeding type of deal there right now trying to get people to safe places and food and water they need. in a few months im sure the clean up will begin. I have a buddy who just got called out fo the reserves to active duty andis ebing sent down there for security. and another who is in a construction batalion who has been put on alert/stand by.

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Seen on the news now there is a small war going on with the people of the country. The frustrations are at the boiling point which is to be expected.

Probably be a recovery mission for a little while longer collecting up the deseased people.

ARP
01-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks Shane.

whitebp1-I agree that it is going to take awhile for cleanup to occur. If I did go down, it would be primarily to assist with recovery. While money is necessary to keep things running, money is not the motivating factor for my willingness to help.

YellowDogSVC
01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Seen on the news now there is a small war going on with the people of the country. The frustrations are at the boiling point which is to be expected.

Probably be a recovery mission for a little while longer collecting up the deseased people.

They expect pockets of "hope" for a few more days. Hopefully some people that were trapped were trapped near food or water.

bobcat_ron
01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Let's not dump too much money into Haiti, you Americans still need to fix up your own natural disaster in New Orleans.
You can't take care of someone else if you don't take care of yourself first, I think there's even something in the Bible of all things that preaches that.

YellowDogSVC
01-20-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't think the US should rebuild Haiti without the world opening it's pocketbooks. It would be insane to spend that much money when we are in the condition we are in down here. Humanitarian efforts should be high on the priority list, though.
I personally would not go down there right now as there just isn't enough shelter, food, and water.
It is a sad situation. I think we will see more and more earthquakes. You don't hear about carribean earthquakes all that often. Hurricanes, yes, earthquakes, no. Wierd.

ksss
01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
The USA has spent 3.3 Billion in Haiti since 92 and all the earthquake did was rearrange the mess that was Haiti. They will be pulling bodies out for years literally. My personal feeling is get in there and try help stablize the Country, feed all that we can and help search for the remaining survivors. The place was a trainwreck before the earth moved and it will remain so probably forever. Provide humanitarian aid and let them get started on trying to rebuild. If nothing eles it might be a good opportunity to startover, like some big Godsized etch a sketch.

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Let's not dump too much money into Haiti, you Americans still need to fix up your own natural disaster in New Orleans.
You can't take care of someone else if you don't take care of yourself first, I think there's even something in the Bible of all things that preaches that.

I agree I don't read the bible so I wouldn't know.

The way the things are going down there it would be best just to give the people help searching for the survivors. When it comes to rebuilding they will just have to do it slowly on their own.

Blue Goose
01-20-2010, 03:01 PM
The Dominican Republic shares that island with Haiti, has anybody heard of any earthquake damage there?

coopers
01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
I believe Haiti had another 6.1 quake this am.

AEL
01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
The Dominican Republic shares that island with Haiti, has anybody heard of any earthquake damage there?

My Father was at his house in the Dominican preparing to go to Haiti to work with his missions, and rebuilding of Haiti (after the flood) when the quake happened. He said you could feel the quake (in Sosua) but there was minimal damage. As he travelled closer to the boarder the damage was much more evident.

curtisfarmer
01-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Bad mojo going down in Haiti....anyone see the French and other "complain" about the US "occupying" Haiti?:nono: Good luck anyone else getting the job done. The French, please....we all remember WWII and the Vichey regime.

Lets stop the name calling and help these poor people. People may say help ourselves 1st, yes we should......but the little(comoared to what it costs to help our own...huge $) $ spent to at least help these peope in their ultimate hour of need...should not go unanswered. Hopefully people would help us as we are helping them if we had our own time of need.

$, Politics, and rhetoric have no place in a humanitarian crisis.

Just think, when the Vancouver Games are over, we may be invading you Canadians and supplying much needed water, security, and law & order:laugh:

Lawn Man Dave
01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I think stuff like this will really ramp up once everyone has food and water and there is good secutiry.

Also untill this happen's the airport will and is pretty much closed to anything but food/water/medical people ect ect.

Untill you move into recovery mode you have to be very carefull using heavy equipment. They also need to figure out what they are going to do with the rubble........ if you go down now were are you going to put the rubble? No way you will be helping with SAR using heavy equipment.

I would not be supprised if the governemnt does not award contracts for people to go down with and or use heavy equipment for clean up... or at least job's doing it. I know after Katrina you could make pretty good money gutting flooded houses......

Blue Goose
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
My Father was at his house in the Dominican preparing to go to Haiti to work with his missions, and rebuilding of Haiti (after the flood) when the quake happened. He said you could feel the quake (in Sosua) but there was minimal damage. As he travelled closer to the boarder the damage was much more evident.

Thanks for your answer, Sean. I was just curious if the Dominican had sustained any damage.

whitebp1
01-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks Shane.

whitebp1-I agree that it is going to take awhile for cleanup to occur. If I did go down, it would be primarily to assist with recovery. While money is necessary to keep things running, money is not the motivating factor for my willingness to help.

oh for sure i was in no way implying that you were out to get rich off of things.

ARP
01-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Don't worry white, I didn't think you were implying that either *trucewhiteflag*

ARP
01-21-2010, 12:59 AM
A quick little update-

We've gotten through to the CAT team in charge of responding to the crisis. We are working with them to determine the next steps in getting our team down there and behind some equipment to help start opening critical infrastructure to allow more aid to reach the region.

scagrider22
01-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Anyone going to help Haiti has there head up there you know what! Our economy is horrible and we are going to spend more tax dollars on a country full of people who hate us, we are still in a mess over in the middle east we should probally clean that up first and who helps America when we have a dissaster? NOBODY! I spent 6 months doing hurricane Katrina work I covered an area from Pensacola FL to Houston TX and the only people down there helping were Americans! And if we do have the tax dollars to waste on Haiti dont you think we should spend it on all the poor & homeless Americans first? Its just my opinion but we should help ourselves first and if or when we recover then help other countries who dont hate us and also need the help if they are willing to help us when we need it.

AEL
01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Anyone going to help Haiti has there head up there you know what! Our economy is horrible and we are going to spend more tax dollars on a country full of people who hate us, we are still in a mess over in the middle east we should probally clean that up first and who helps America when we have a dissaster? NOBODY! I spent 6 months doing hurricane Katrina work I covered an area from Pensacola FL to Houston TX and the only people down there helping were Americans! And if we do have the tax dollars to waste on Haiti dont you think we should spend it on all the poor & homeless Americans first? Its just my opinion but we should help ourselves first and if or when we recover then help other countries who dont hate us and also need the help if they are willing to help us when we need it.

Real informative post right there. So besides learning that my head is up my ass, do you even know anything about haiti? Haitians have no money whatsoever. The average person makes under 200 a year. How long does it take you to make $200? an hour? a day?

I understand the huge amount of stress and hardship that the American people are under with the current financial crisis, but can we not help those out in more need and set a good example?

If you are going to make posts saying how anyone who is going there to help has there head up there ass think again.

scagrider22
01-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Real informative post right there. So besides learning that my head is up my ass, do you even know anything about haiti? Haitians have no money whatsoever. The average person makes under 200 a year. How long does it take you to make $200? an hour? a day?

I understand the huge amount of stress and hardship that the American people are under with the current financial crisis, but can we not help those out in more need and set a good example?

If you are going to make posts saying how anyone who is going there to help has there head up there ass think again.

Just my opinion, you dont think we should make sure all the Americans have a home and food first? because their are many starving Americans, Haiti is not are problem nor is it any of our business to go down there and take control over their airports or anything else. And its not are fault they have financial problems their are many other countries that do to but if we go around helping them all before we help ourselve we will be the poor country waiting for help and free handouts, they financially maid their bed so they can lay in it! It is unfortunate what happened but its not our mess we have our own messes to clean up! If you want to help so much their is still plenty of Katrina work to do in Mississippi and Louisiana, our we have the mud slide out in California where thousands of people lost power and hundreds of homes were detroyed.

curtisfarmer
01-21-2010, 02:27 PM
This is their ultimate hour of need......how can anyone look away and imply we should do nothing. We are not talking huge $ here folks, peanuts in the scale of things. What we spend in 10 minutes in Iraq and Afg. is what we will ultimatly spend in Haiti. We are a HUGE and WEALTHY country in comparison and a little will go a long way down there.

Only we, the US :usflag: have the capability to assit these people right now. We cannot ignore a neighbor in need.

Controlling airports? Occupying??, read my post earlier. The French would take 3 years to mobilzuie and they would bring 1 Puegot, some cheese, and nothing else but empty promises.

stuvecorp
01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
The more I read up on Haiti the more discouraged about I become. Our country has shoveled obscene amounts of money for a long time and it never gets better?

curtisfarmer
01-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Stuvecorp, yes I agree and the facts and prior history are hard to ignore. It is very discouraging but right now is not the time to measure our response as if it were an investment. These people need help right NOW. Clean water and medicine. Humanitarian crisises require acts of kindness and basic human support that all deserve.

Let the French lead the rebuilding effort....but if it is anything like their cars it may do more harm:laugh:

Heh, at least we are trying. Were is everyone else but complaining about us running the airport. Were are they??

stuvecorp
01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't like to see the suffering but don't have a good answer for any of it.

Bleed Green
01-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Just my opinion, you dont think we should make sure all the Americans have a home and food first? because their are many starving Americans, Haiti is not are problem nor is it any of our business to go down there and take control over their airports or anything else. And its not are fault they have financial problems their are many other countries that do to but if we go around helping them all before we help ourselve we will be the poor country waiting for help and free handouts, they financially maid their bed so they can lay in it! It is unfortunate what happened but its not our mess we have our own messes to clean up! If you want to help so much their is still plenty of Katrina work to do in Mississippi and Louisiana, our we have the mud slide out in California where thousands of people lost power and hundreds of homes were detroyed.

As a country we have the means and the money necessary to help out other countries in need. In a way it is seen as our responsibility around the world to come to the aid of a country like Haiti that is in crisis. Like it or not it would be us that would be getting dumped on all around the world if we didn't go give help and money to Haiti right now.
The deal with Haiti is they are not able to help themselves. Think about it this way, your elderly neighbor falls and gets injured and they don't have a way to get to the hospital for help. Are you just going to drive by and head to work or are you going to stop and give them the help that they need? Your elderly neighbor is not able to help themselves at that time, they are kind of like Haiti in this situation, they are in need and not able to help themselves.

Yes we have our own problems but sometimes you have to help others as well.

Digdeep
01-21-2010, 07:41 PM

I think you're looking at this from an extremely "near sighted" viewpoint. It is true that our wonderful nation has our problems.

However, it is vital that we understand where our great country sits on the world stage regarding our compassion, our ability to give hope, our ability to give protection and safe harbor, and our ability to give material and support.

Others have mentioned some of the same things, but our country was founded on better things than just taking care of ourselves. I always look to some of Ronald Reagan's speeches when I need to remember what this country stands for. Here are a couple links to two of his greatest speeches. Read the section about a "shining city on a hill" in his farewell address, and the section in his inaguration speech where he speaks about how, "We will again be the exemplar of freedom and a beacon of hope for those who do not now have freedom." Our country is not just a "place", it is a constant example and reminder of who we are and what we stand for here at home and abroad on other's shores.

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/sp_27.html

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/sp_21.html

scagrider22
01-21-2010, 08:02 PM
I think you're looking at this from an extremely "near sighted" viewpoint. It is true that our wonderful nation has our problems.

However, it is vital that we understand where our great country sits on the world stage regarding our compassion, our ability to give hope, our ability to give protection and safe harbor, and our ability to give material and support.

Others have mentioned some of the same things, but our country was founded on better things than just taking care of ourselves. I always look to some of Ronald Reagan's speeches when I need to remember what this country stands for. Here are a couple links to two of his greatest speeches. Read the section about a "shining city on a hill" in his farewell address, and the section in his inaguration speech where he speaks about how, "We will again be the exemplar of freedom and a beacon of hope for those who do not now have freedom." Our country is not just a "place", it is a constant example and reminder of who we are and what we stand for here at home and abroad on other's shores.

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/sp_27.html

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/sp_21.html

I agree with you to an exstent, Im not a cold person at all I help many people but only ones who return the faver. I never said we should not help others I said we need to help ourselves first then help others who would be willing to help us. We have done so much for Haiti when does it end? You and I are the ones paying for this and every other hard working tax paying American Not to mention the millions of tax dollars waisted on illegals from Haiti who cross the borders daily in Florida and then run the crime rate through the roof and lower job wages.

AEL
01-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Ilegals from haiti entering the boarder in florida? Looks like the coast guards you pay so much of your tax dollars on arent doing there job...

And what do you honesly expect the haitians to give back you? They have nothing to give! But i can assure you that if they had a way to tell us thanks they would.

you cant blame the innocent people on the corrupt government they have, but i can surely say that the money is better helping them out then giving it to wall street so they can line there pockets just a little bit more!

scagrider22
01-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Ilegals from haiti entering the boarder in florida? Looks like the coast guards you pay so much of your tax dollars on arent doing there job...

And what do you honesly expect the haitians to give back you? They have nothing to give! But i can assure you that if they had a way to tell us thanks they would.

you cant blame the innocent people on the corrupt government they have, but i can surely say that the money is better helping them out then giving it to wall street so they can line there pockets just a little bit more!

We gave there goverment 2 billion dollars a few years ago to get them on the rite track and it only fueled there corruption now this week we have given another 500 million and Im sure they will get much more so when does it end China is the words super power not us let them come fix it. America needs a break from trying to save the world. And the amount of people patroling the borders is a very small number compared to the amount of illegals coming in.

mrusk
01-22-2010, 09:35 PM
I can not imagin that any machine that goes to haiti will come back in any useable condition.

Going to do work in Haiti is not like doing recovery work at the world trade center. You need to bring everything that you need. Food, Water, shelter, fuel, etc. Good luck not getting all your stuff stolen and your ass killed.

SpecOne
02-02-2010, 12:42 AM
As a christian, I am taught that there are four responses to situations like what's going on in Haiti: GIVE, GO, PRAY, or DISOBEDIENCE! As a christian, God expects me, as a christian, to respond, and to do it without an expectation of a return. I've prayed and given to aid agencies working in Haiti. And I did it without asking what I could expect in return. When Hurricane Ike hit the Houston/Galveston area, I took time from work and took equipment to some of the hardest hit areas and helped people clean up. And when those people asked me why I was doing that, I told them it was out of Love for them. I didn't pull up and say, well I'll help you out, but I expect some type of return for my help. Next year, I'll be taking some time from work to go to South Africa to help build churches, schools, and water projects in the rural areas - I did not ask for a promise of something in return - I did it because it is what is expected of me as a christian. And that's what we all should do, whether you're a christian or not: DO WITHOUT AN EXPECTATION OF A RETURN!

ARP
02-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Well said SpecOne.

AWJ Services
02-02-2010, 08:01 AM
As a christian, I am taught that there are four responses to situations like what's going on in Haiti: GIVE, GO, PRAY, or DISOBEDIENCE! As a christian, God expects me, as a christian, to respond, and to do it without an expectation of a return. I've prayed and given to aid agencies working in Haiti. And I did it without asking what I could expect in return. When Hurricane Ike hit the Houston/Galveston area, I took time from work and took equipment to some of the hardest hit areas and helped people clean up. And when those people asked me why I was doing that, I told them it was out of Love for them. I didn't pull up and say, well I'll help you out, but I expect some type of return for my help. Next year, I'll be taking some time from work to go to South Africa to help build churches, schools, and water projects in the rural areas - I did not ask for a promise of something in return - I did it because it is what is expected of me as a christian. And that's what we all should do, whether you're a christian or not: DO WITHOUT AN EXPECTATION OF A RETURN!

Well does this not apply to everything? Have you ever passed a man holding a sign asking for money and not gave it to him? Passed a car on the side of the road and not stopped? Do you give every beggar money? If you see a house in disrepair do you stop and fix it? Or do you need a natural disaster for a persons needs to have validity?

People tend to pick a cause and rally to it. They only want to help those that they think are not capable of helping themselves. There is plenty to do here and NO we cannot afford to help other countries. Your country is deep in dept and going broke. These same people who feel so strongly about helping these other countries selectively help there own neighbor here in the States. If you want to go then go but remember all men are created equal and that Country you are helping has the same exact opportunities as the good ole USA does. We all started from the same place they just chose to exist different than we do.
Heck there are still people from Katrina that need help? It's alot closer than Haiti.

all ferris
02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Well does this not apply to everything? Have you ever passed a man holding a sign asking for money and not gave it to him? Passed a car on the side of the road and not stopped? Do you give every beggar money? If you see a house in disrepair do you stop and fix it? Or do you need a natural disaster for a persons needs to have validity?

People tend to pick a cause and rally to it. They only want to help those that they think are not capable of helping themselves. There is plenty to do here and NO we cannot afford to help other countries. Your country is deep in dept and going broke. These same people who feel so strongly about helping these other countries selectively help there own neighbor here in the States. If you want to go then go but remember all men are created equal and that Country you are helping has the same exact opportunities as the good ole USA does. We all started from the same place they just chose to exist different than we do.
Heck there are still people from Katrina that need help? It's alot closer than Haiti.

I love it. Lets borrow some more money from China and then give it away.

jefftb
02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I can most likely provide information from an actual individual (upon his return) that is in Haiti this week.

He left on Sunday to take a large custom tent to act as shelter for an orphanage. He owns his own tent rental/fabrication company and is heavily involved in mission work.

AWJ Services
02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I love it. Lets borrow some more money from China and then give it away.

You do have a point. If China will not donate money we will donate there money for them.:)

SpecOne
02-02-2010, 12:44 PM

You are correct. It applys to everything AND to everyone. I like to think that I do my fair share. I have given people on the street money, clothes, food, water, etc. Do I do it for every single one I see? No. I am just one man and I know that I can't help everybody, but at least I try. And yes, I've stopped and helped someone on the side of the road. Why? Because I've been in their same situation and although I didn't need the help, it was appreciated. And once a month a group of men from my church gather on a Saturday morning and go and help members of our community less fortunate than we who may need some yard work done or home repair done or something else. Again am I able to help every single person here and abroad? No, but I feel I do my share.

And I understand what you are saying about our country being in debt and cannot afford to help other countries, but I'm not talking about in this post and my previous post the good ole USA. I'm talking about myself. All of this I have done, I've done out of MY pocket. I feel I have been blessed with what God has given me, and feel that I can help a few of those that can't help themselves here in my community, my state, my country, and my world. Is it selective? Yes, but only because I'm one person, and I can't help everyone.

AWJ Services
02-02-2010, 08:40 PM
You are correct. It applys to everything AND to everyone. I like to think that I do my fair share. I have given people on the street money, clothes, food, water, etc. Do I do it for every single one I see? No. I am just one man and I know that I can't help everybody, but at least I try. And yes, I've stopped and helped someone on the side of the road. Why? Because I've been in their same situation and although I didn't need the help, it was appreciated. And once a month a group of men from my church gather on a Saturday morning and go and help members of our community less fortunate than we who may need some yard work done or home repair done or something else. Again am I able to help every single person here and abroad? No, but I feel I do my share.

And I understand what you are saying about our country being in debt and cannot afford to help other countries, but I'm not talking about in this post and my previous post the good ole USA. I'm talking about myself. All of this I have done, I've done out of MY pocket. I feel I have been blessed with what God has given me, and feel that I can help a few of those that can't help themselves here in my community, my state, my country, and my world. Is it selective? Yes, but only because I'm one person, and I can't help everyone.

My post was not soley aimed at you and I applaud you for your charity.

SellingIron
02-02-2010, 11:13 PM
I want to help out. Where can I send my check to help pay the interest on the money we are borrowing from china??? I heard on the radio the other day we have given almost 1$ billion in a 3 1/2 period. That is a lot of money and by the looks of it wasn't well spent.We do need to give some type of aid at the same time we need to look in the mirror and fix our own house..

ShawnH
02-02-2010, 11:52 PM
I feel that its not the governments place to tax me and send my money to another country. If they have enough tax payer money that it can be given to another country then maybe taxes are to high. Maybe the right solution would be to lower taxes let the American people decide who to help by individually donating through church's or aid organizations.