PDA

View Full Version : More Newbie Questions

cold_and_tired
01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Well gents, since we spoke last, I picked up one of my plow contracts (13 gas stations) and am just waiting on the right time to get some fliers out.

Anyway, on with the newbie questions.

I regards to weekly mowing, is alternating mowing patterns the best way to go? I do it at my house because it looks great. Should I continue the practice for any reasons other than appearance?

When I am finished and blow the site off are you guys blowing the clippings from the driveway, sidewalk, etc back into the lawn, back into the street or are you trying to bag everything?

This next question might pertain to Colorado only but am I going to need a license or permit for fertilizer/weed control applications?

Thanks

xclusive
01-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Well gents, since we spoke last, I picked up one of my plow contracts (13 gas stations) and am just waiting on the right time to get some fliers out.

Anyway, on with the newbie questions.

I regards to weekly mowing, is alternating mowing patterns the best way to go? I do it at my house because it looks great. Should I continue the practice for any reasons other than appearance?

When I am finished and blow the site off are you guys blowing the clippings from the driveway, sidewalk, etc back into the lawn, back into the street or are you trying to bag everything?

This next question might pertain to Colorado only but am I going to need a license or permit for fertilizer/weed control applications?

Thanks

Yes you should alternate your mowing patterns this way you do not put ruts in the lawn. When I blow everything off sometimes I blow it into a pile in the street if there is a lot of crap and take it away or if theres is not too much I will blow it back on the lawn.

SangerLawn
01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
To get technical mowing in 3 different directions as in a different way every week is the healthiest for the turf but no one including myself does that…..the 3 way pattern just doesn’t look as good

echeandia
01-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Mowing in different directions does help but is not always feasible. Some very small lawns or lots with lots of beds and trees in the lawn make it difficult to mow in a different direction. You should do what you can.

dolomite
01-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Cutting in different directions should always be done if possible. Just cutting one way will continually lay the turf in the direction you are cutting, resulting in an uneven cut. Under the tires will be laid flatter than under the blades. Also, there is more surface area showing for light to hit when its not laid down. And a good cross cut always looks amazing IMO.
Clippings should be returned back to the lawns to provide the nitrogen they give when decomposing.

OUTLANDER
01-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Cutting in different directions should always be done if possible. Just cutting one way will continually lay the turf in the direction you are cutting, resulting in an uneven cut. Under the tires will be laid flatter than under the blades. Also, there is more surface area showing for light to hit when its not laid down. And a good cross cut always looks amazing IMO.
Clippings should be returned back to the lawns to provide the nitrogen they give when decomposing.

just like this says