PDA

View Full Version : chevy vs. ford. vs. dodge

cormell3
01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Im in my second year of mowing and im looking to get a new truck. Im looking at getting a used truck in the 6 to 7 thousand dollar range so i was wonder what will give me the most reliabilty. thanks

dishboy
01-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Im in my second year of mowing and im looking to get a new truck. Im looking at getting a used truck in the 6 to 7 thousand dollar range so i was wonder what will give me the most reliabilty. thanks

Ford is the current reliability leader of those you mentioned, at least corporate wide . Ford is the only one who might not be going away due to mismanagement.

doubleedge
01-19-2010, 06:09 PM
You may as well ask what pie is the best or what movie is the best, because nobody here can give you an unbiased answer based solely on facts, if such an answer even exists.

Richard Martin
01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
In my 51 years I had more Chevy's than Ford's but it's just worked out that way. Right now my work truck is a Ford, my wife drives a Chevy and I have a Ford for a weekend car. I rarely ever have problems with cars anyway.

BCL Services
01-19-2010, 06:25 PM
You may as well ask what pie is the best or what movie is the best, because nobody here can give you an unbiased answer based solely on facts, if such an answer even exists.

Yea, what is your favorite beer? I mean you will recieve tons of different answers, but they are just everyone opinion. :rolleyes:

FastMan
01-19-2010, 06:57 PM
There aren't any beer companies living on bail out money from the government. There's only one of those auto companies that's not. Credit where credit's due.

deerewashed
01-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Not this question again!!!!!

lawnboy dan
01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
look for a tundra

stroker51
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
For that money you will have a crap shoot either way. I have had some 4-7k trucks that were great, some that weren't, all Ford's, and I've got friends that run chevys and dodges, same story some will be great, some not so much. Good luck.

WH401
01-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Well, first off, you can toss the current situation of the auto manufacturers out the window because buying a used truck worth 6k or 7k isn't going to have anything to do with that. Second, asking a "who's best question" based on the Big 3 is pointless in any multi-branded forum. Thirdly, personally myself and my family have great luck with Dodges. We've had 11 over the past 21 years, 6 of them being Cummins diesels. But honestly though, any truck at 6 - 7k is going to have it's issues, it's going to be the luck of the draw no matter what manufacturer you buy.

AmGreen
01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
got a 96 1500 with around 180,000
98 1500 with around 240,000
and an 03 2500 with 181,875 (just wrote the mileage down)
all chevy gassers and no problems to speak of...

lawnboy dan
01-20-2010, 06:47 AM
at least with a toyota tundra you will be shure of getting a good truck-the rest is a crapshoot

lawn king
01-20-2010, 08:50 AM
The fact that a company had financial help from the feds, doe's not make their product any less significant!

MikeKle
01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
These threads could go on for hundreds of pages, and everyone is going to have their own opinions. But i have always owned Dodges, except for a Z-71 Chevy back in the mid 90s, but didnt use it for work. My Dodges have been good, but their automatic trannys are not that great, I always say I am going to buy a manual, then I end up getting an auto! Plus I love the HUGE center consoles in the dodges that open up, they are great for storing stuff, but I think all of the big 3 have some sort of center console that offers storage?

360ci
01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Get what you LIKE and what WORKS for your needs.

There's no right answer to the 'best truck'. This is very opinionated and varies depending on what you need. If you have a trailer less than 2K, and want good mileage and don't need more passenger capacity than a front bench can provide, a compact/midsize truck would be your best bet.

If I towed less than 4K, I'd buy a 2wd GM 1500 ext cab short box with the 4.3L V6. I've generally favored Dodge myself, but GM's 4.3 is tried, proven, and tested. I've driven several cargo vans with this engine and all have surpassed 400K miles before they were traded in for other nearly identical (but newer) vans. That is a workhorse at a GREAT price.

Back to compacts, the Tacoma and Ranger are my two pics. A GM Canyon/Colorado can be had for similar, if not less money and tow up to 5K with the 3.5L I5. Reliability is so-so, be sure to get previous maintenance records on the vehicles you are interested in.

I wouldn't be as concerned with reliability as I would be with part replacement and availability. Generally, domestics will provide great service (Ford,Dodge, GM) and have fairly low priced replacement parts versus the import brands. Now that more imports are made in North America, parts are coming down in price as they no longer all have to be imported.

For HD use, I'd probably go with GM as well, and get a gas engine. They're fairly well built and parts do last if you maintain the vehicle (grease, oil change, transmission change, gear oil change etc). Whatever you decide to go with, make sure that it can handle the needs of your business now, and a couple years ahead.

rcslawncare
01-22-2010, 01:55 AM
I bet if you searched this topic, there would be days of info on this. Just get one of each and have the best from all of them!

lawn king
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
We can all hope that kubota builds trucks in our lifetime!

MikeKle
01-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Definitly!! Also a CAT truck would be great, and probably last up to around 800K miles!!!

Richard Martin
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM

They could build a truck that lasts forever and doesn't cost a penny but as long as Chevy, Dodge or Ford still builds trucks I wouldn't take a Jap truck.