PDA

View Full Version : Kawi or Kohler

Krafty
01-19-2010, 06:11 PM
I am looking at a brand new super z 60" deck for this up comming spring. The two motors I was looking at were the Kawi 31hp and the kohler 30hp. Just wanting to hear some thoughts on both motors. I have had good luck with kawi in the past, but I have no experience with kohler. They want a little bit more for the kohler is it that much better of a motor? Any and all comments and concerend greatly apperciated!

HARRIS Property Management
01-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Keep some oil on the truck if you go with Kohler.

Strictly my opinion as you will have several ideas and thoughts about each but I will never purchase another new mower witha Kohler. Just bought one last year on a Exmark Lazer and after my first 65 hours it would smoke every morning I started it for about 10 to 15 seconds. Took it in and the dealer tells me the Kohlers will drop a drop or two of oil on the piston that seeps thru the valve and it nothing to worry about as all engines do that. All this 2010 modern technology and Kohler cant fix a problem like that?? I have owned two Kawasakis prior and never once did they smoke when starting. Even when they sat for a month or two in winter. I change the oil every 75 hours and at 40 hours I have to add about a half of a quart. This mower currently only has about 250 hours on it. Never ever again will I own a Kohler! junk, junk, junk

JKOOPERS
01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Kaw all the way

exclusive contracting
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
thats funny that they are asking more money for the kohler i think kaw is a better choice

Krafty
01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Wow thanks for the info. I have always had the Kawi and never really had any problmes out of the norm, figured I would just see if I was missing the boat or something. I have been price shopping all of the dealers lately. I really just like the hustler the best right now. When I talked to the saleman on the phone today he really seemed like he was pushing the kohler. They have a demo with 35 hours and the kohler he thought would be in the neighborhood of $7,600. As for the brand new ones super z 60" deck with 30hp kohler was about $10,400, and for the super z 60" deck and 31hp kawi looking for $9,400. How do these prices sound?

Frierson
01-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a kohler and hate it. Piston Clogs up and drinks gas and oil like water

Evan528
01-19-2010, 09:38 PM
I have a 30hp kohlor on my Toro Z. At 850 hours it needed a new crank shaft..... complete B.S. for a commercial motor to need major repair at that low of hours. Might be my last kohlor.

bohiaa
01-19-2010, 10:07 PM
looks like a diffreance of oppion here. I have 2 Kohlers and love them " Knock on wood "

when I did my research I found that the Kaw's ARE a Better engine, however there about 2,000.00 more. I'm planing on getting around 3500 hrs from an engine. and so far I have done that with a Kohler. and I saved 4,000.00

again JMO.

Best of luck with your decission

mkwl
01-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Kawasaki all the way- have well over 1,200 hours on one of mine- 7 years old and runs like a top (knock on wood).... if the price is right...go for it!

meets1
01-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Kawa. Although I have
2 older kohlers with 3k on them
Their our walk behinds. No problems
Posted via Mobile Device

georgiagrass
01-20-2010, 02:25 AM
We have Kaws on everything except the Walkers (26 hp efi) and our Navigator (27 hp). We've had good luck with all of them. I particularly like the 26 hp efi Kohler. We have had great luck with the 15 hp and 17 hp Kaws on our Turf Tracers.

Charles
01-20-2010, 07:11 AM
I have had good luck with Kohlers too. I am sure with the high volume they sell there is going to be a certain % of lemons and a certain % of poor maintenance. Same with the Kawasaki's. So I look more at the price of the mower and replacement parts. Kohler is a lot more reasonable when it comes to price

JimQ
01-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't let the HP figures fool you. The 31hp Kawi is a lot more engine that the 30 hp Kohler. There is a substantial real-world power difference. The Kawi is the stronger of the two by far. The 30hp Kohler is a 747cc engine while the Kawi is an 852cc engine.

Q

Grass Shark
01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
imo kawi all day, most times they want $600 to upgrade to a kawi from kohler. Kawi is a lot better quality motor. Good luck! You will love the hustler!

Krafty
01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Well thanks for all the info. Love this site you can find all the info you ever wanted so quickly.
I am looking at both as Charles said Kohler didn't make a billion engines that were all junk. I think I am going to go with the Kawi though. I really find it weird that the kawi was cheaper. I really havnt checked the prices on the kawi replacment parts. But to be honest with my ferris I have never had a problem that need replacement parts. I am a freak about maintenance, maybe that helps. GUes we will see where the other dealers com in at!

Mahoney3223
01-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I have owned plenty of both..Kawi's are thought to be the best, and their price reflects it. I have Kohler's too. I have a 27 command, and a 26 efi. The most obvious advantage is that you can shortblock a kohler. With a kaw, your S.O.L. I have a new 35 Big Block briggs on my tiger and I will say they are coming around as well. All personal pref. really

soloscaperman
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I have owned a 15HP Kawa and now the 27HP Kohler.

I miss the kawa that thing never smoked and started every first or second pull. The Kohler smoked once in a while when starting but goes away in seconds. My Kohler sat since early November and never started it or changed the gas and actually started on the first try 3 days ago! Also no smoke!! I guess they smoke when you start and stop them then wait hours or a day. I use Mobil one after the first 85 hours and it helps on the smoking. Now it smoke 2 out of 10 times and only last alittle bit.

topsites
01-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I myself prefer Kohler and supposedly Kawasaki is better but just the fact that both engines
are being compared side by side in the same conversation speaks volumes of either.

And the reason I took my Ztr with the Kawasaki is...
Because it was cheaper than the Kohler.

I never did figure that one out either.

Krafty
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah smoking a little bit on start up seems to be the common thing.

So Turf Shark you think I will be happy with the hustler? I have added a few properties this year taht are around 4 acres, thats why I am stepping up to the 60"

ProStreetCamaro
01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I wont touch a kawi with a 10' pole

FastMan
01-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I wont touch a kawi with a 10' pole

When you think about that literally, it seems rather phobic. :)

STIHL GUY
01-20-2010, 10:26 PM
i have a kawi and love it but i have never had a kohler to compare it to

DoetschOutdoor
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Have 1 kohler, 1 kawi. The kohler is a little harder to start in the cold but other than that, not much difference other than hp.

Thunderhead
01-20-2010, 11:15 PM
I was faced with the exact same decision.

Although they are both good engines, from the research I found, the Kawasaki seems to be the better brand of the two. So thats what I went with.

Thunderhead:)

motorscot
01-21-2010, 02:24 AM
They have a demo with 35 hours and the kohler he thought would be in the neighborhood of $7,600. As for the brand new ones super z 60" deck with 30hp kohler was about $10,400, and for the super z 60" deck and 31hp kawi looking for $9,400. How do these prices sound?

Keep the $2000 in your pocket and get the demo with the Kohler. It's Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge and you really can't go wrong with either engine.

mx315
01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I have 3 of each brand ranging from 19hp to 31hp on my Hustler's. I've had good luck with both brands and no problems with either. I'm in the market for a newer super Z now and would buy either brand, as long as the hp and price are right.

delphied
01-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I have both. I would never pay more for a Kaw. They are both good engines. There are horror stories with both as well. I would rather buy Kohler since Im a Christian and not Buhdist. Think about that awhile boys.

olde_blue
01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
The 30 hp Kohler used to be a stoked 25/27 hp Kohler with a two-barrel carb. I investigated it as a replacement motor, and found that it had relatively bad reliability. The 25/27 hp kohlers are better thought of. I bought one, and am well satisified with it's reliabilty ad fuel economy (burns less than 1 gph on a 52" Stander). My only complaint is the specialty muffler used for Standers (it is louder than the standard canister mufflers).

mx315
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Olde Blue, that actually helps me out too. I was looking at a 60 Z and the guy said it was a 25hp Kohler, he emailed me the model and serial... it's a 27hp Kohler. I was thinking the 25 would be too small for a 60" Z, but seriously thinking about buying it now. Is the 27 a small bore engine or would that be considered a big block?

brianslawncare
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
kawi all the way i have four of them 15/17/23/27 hp no issues with them! my friend has three kohlers and he cut 80yards per week and said when the weather gets cold the kohlers are hard to start and they use more gas! but from my experience i would not look at a kohler unless the price was right. good luck. this thread has more good things about kawi than bad.

olde_blue
01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
The 25/27 (and the 747 cc 30 hp, for that matter, as well as the 28 efi) are small block engines, but with a decent sized displacement (725 cc--the only consistent difference in parts between 25 and 27 hp models is the camshaft).

They have the same size block (different bores) as all the Commands (624 cc 18-20 hp engines, and the 674 cc 22-23 hp engines). I believe all the strokes are the same (except the 30).

Kohler's "big block" engines are 34-40 hp and 999 cc.

The kawasaki FX series 31 (and current 27) are both larger displacement engines (852 cc); the 34 and 37 are 999 cc. Their 19-25 hp engines are all 675 cc (the difference being the carb, although some 25's have oil coolers).

Krafty
01-21-2010, 05:52 PM
kawi all the way i have four of them 15/17/23/27 hp no issues with them! my friend has three kohlers and he cut 80yards per week and said when the weather gets cold the kohlers are hard to start and they use more gas! but from my experience i would not look at a kohler unless the price was right. good luck. this thread has more good things about kawi than bad.

Yes I know it is a crap shoot. I wasn't looking for the answer to the age old question just a little backround on both. Tons of good information on here that has really helped make my decision. I talked to the dealer a little bit more today and he has changed his prices. For the new Kawi he wants $9400 and for the demo model kohler he wants $8400.00. So now I have some thinking to do. I am not looking to buy until about the first of April. Mowing season around here don't really get started till about the end of April. I am leaning towards the new one with the Kawi I will post some pics later with the decision. How do thoes prices sound? Has anyone else priced one out this year??

delphied
01-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Yes I know it is a crap shoot. I wasn't looking for the answer to the age old question just a little backround on both. Tons of good information on here that has really helped make my decision. I talked to the dealer a little bit more today and he has changed his prices. For the new Kawi he wants $9400 and for the demo model kohler he wants $8400.00. So now I have some thinking to do. I am not looking to buy until about the first of April. Mowing season around here don't really get started till about the end of April. I am leaning towards the new one with the Kawi I will post some pics later with the decision. How do thoes prices sound? Has anyone else priced one out this year??

So a Kaw is worth 1000 more than a Kohler?

supercuts
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
i love how everyone chiming in is in teh 25/27 range. i used to love kawi's. kohlers were not bad, this was all 14/15/25/29hp range. i have not had a kawi big block but have heard alot of problems with them (37hp) and dont know if the 30hp is considered one of their big blocks. i am in love with my 33hp generac and wish i could put it on everything.....i know that doesnt help but i would save the $1000. dont they have the same warrantee?

Krafty
01-22-2010, 12:12 PM
I didn't realize you have to be in a certin age bracket to be knowlegable about motors???? I have never had a generac motor but I have also heard very good things about them. A buddy has a 25 I think on his bobcat mower!

In thoes two the 1000 difference is because the kohler is a demo with 35 hours. I think if they were both brand new there was about only a $400 difference.

betmr
01-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Chevy or Ford, That's what I say about that.

mowzilla
01-22-2010, 08:33 PM
i ran a 3000hr+ kohler this summer a while that had never been rebuilt and ran like a sewing machine! i love the kohlers ( and i was a mechanic for 15 yrs ) and they are built in the usa. i like the kawi's too, but i would go kohler or generac over 23 hp

supercuts
01-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I didn't realize you have to be in a certin age bracket to be knowlegable about motors???? I have never had a generac motor but I have also heard very good things about them. A buddy has a 25 I think on his bobcat mower!

was this in response to me?? what i was trying to say is the 20's hp range a different beast. kawi has had huge problems with their big blocks and great luck with their 20's hp series engines. so my comment about everyone chiming in about their 25hp is because they are not comparing apples to apples and had nothing to do with age. some manufacturers have a line of great engines and a line of failures. its like comparing an F350 gas engine to an F350 diesel or a honda mower engine to a honda accord engine.

WREBELMACHINE
01-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Can anyone elaborate on the kaw 37hp troubles? I know of a couple guys who have them and have had no trouble with them.

supercuts
01-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Can anyone elaborate on the kaw 37hp troubles? I know of a couple guys who have them and have had no trouble with them.

im only repeating what ive read on this site, but the 37hp has had lots of engine failures and are horrible on fuel. do a search, many have complained. my dealer claims they have nto seen many problems with them.

SouthSide Cutter
01-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Ive had 20-27hp Kohlers never a problem. Friend had a 21 Kaw. blew both heads. Ive got the 29DFI Kaw and I dont know why ANYBODY would need anything other than this mtr. Sips gas and has good power. Just cant see the weight of a diesel or anything above 30hp myself.

Big Red Ferris
01-24-2010, 09:31 PM
i love my 21 Kawi power on my ferris make sure u keep up on maint. and you can get hrs out of them i just keep a eye on the valves, and run amsoil with wellworth fuel helper, they run excellent guys dont forget ur additives the ethanol eats up cylinders and they run cooler buy 5-8 degrees. And it restores power and run ngk plugs there worth it champ plugs are junk

Krafty
01-24-2010, 11:32 PM
was this in response to me?? what i was trying to say is the 20's hp range a different beast. kawi has had huge problems with their big blocks and great luck with their 20's hp series engines. so my comment about everyone chiming in about their 25hp is because they are not comparing apples to apples and had nothing to do with age. some manufacturers have a line of great engines and a line of failures. its like comparing an F350 gas engine to an F350 diesel or a honda mower engine to a honda accord engine.

hahaha sorry long day I went back and read it now and understand. I know what you mean all my ferris walkbehinds have the 23hp kawi on it but never had anything bigger. I have decided to go with the Kawi will probaly pick it up around the first of april. I will be sure to post some pics! Thanks for all the input!

kl680
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Go with the Kawa, just got done dealing with Kohler rep, and of course after a
summer long battle and keeeping records of the oil consumption he decided that it was my fault, go figure. Keep posting all of the horror stories about the Kohlers and maybe after they get enough bad reviews they'll figure that
maybe a little customer service will go a long way. My business was built by word of mouth, it can just as easily tear a company down.

delphied
01-28-2010, 04:18 PM
My Kohler burns a little oil but I dont get my shorts all knotted up over it. Most Kohlers do. Doesnt make it a terrible engine.

jtkplc
01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Don't let the HP figures fool you. The 31hp Kawi is a lot more engine that the 30 hp Kohler. There is a substantial real-world power difference. The Kawi is the stronger of the two by far. The 30hp Kohler is a 747cc engine while the Kawi is an 852cc engine.

Q

Exactly.

I used the 30hp Kohler on a 66" Lazer Z and it's pretty weak. The 31hp Vanguard that I've used on a 60" Lazer Z XS which would be slightly larger than the 31hp Kawasaki, has tons of power.

Alan0354
01-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Any comment on Kohler small XT-7 that is used on the small 21" mower. I know it is boring for you guys!!! This is a China made about 170cc only.

MONTE
01-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Either engine will do fine both reliable and have good parts sources. I would also include the vanguard engines with that group!