PDA

View Full Version : Truck spec's

Gravel Rat
01-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Okay I'am still at it seeing if there is much difference between old and newer.

The biggest number that is the surprise is the turning radius between the older leaf sprung F450/550 with a 165 wheelbase trucks to todays F-450/550 with the same wheelbase.

A 99-04 the turning radius is 59.4 feet the turning radius of a 05-current is 48.8 a difference of 10.6 feet that is quite abit. I don't live in the city so turning in city streets not a problem for me. My current truck makes the corners and turns that I need to make with not too many problems.

Brakes the newer trucks don't have very much size difference in brakes so a 05 and newer truck I'am not going to see anymore braking power. Same rotor sizes little different brake pads. I thought the newer truck used larger brakes but they do not.

Rear springs the 05 and newer F-450s have 680lb more capacity than a 03 F450. The 05 and newer 550 has 518lbs more capacity than a 03 F-550.

The long story of it is the only difference between the 05 and newer trucks with coil springs is the better turning radius. On a 4x4 truck the tighter turning radius must be a killer on the axle U joints with the wheel turned that sharp.

The only benefit of buying a newer truck is having a newer truck so I will end up buying the 03 F-550 4x4. If the 4R100 needs a rebuild I will rebuild it. Not really enough benefits to justify spending 10 grand more for a 2007.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Just buy a truck

Gravel Rat
01-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I went to the Ford dealer and ordered a 2010 F-550 4x4 Reg cab XLT Lariat 6.7 cab and chassis it is costing me 69,000 dollars CND.

Junior M
01-19-2010, 10:38 PM
I went to the Ford dealer and ordered a 2010 F-550 4x4 Reg cab XLT Lariat 6.7 cab and chassis it is costing me 69,000 dollars CND.
:confused:

What?!

Gravel Rat
01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I'am not that stupid I will own a 7.3 PSD powered F-550 4x4 going to look at it on friday and probably bring it home.

Buy the 550 sell my other truck hope to get 16-18 for it pay off my credit cards and pay off most of the truck then start looking for a cheap used skid. Maybe pay off the credit cards and use the rest of the money to buy a used skid steer.

wanabe
01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
This guy just don't get it! Gr for god sakes just go buy the d@m truck! We are all tired of hearing the specs on a 2003 ford truck! Seriously, nobody cares anymore!

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 12:09 AM
One thing about I have a job your probably un-employeed wanabe.

Any money I make with the truck is tax free cash jobs the way the homeowners want it. Work 4 hours on my day off make a couple hundred dollars.

If I make hundred or couple hundred dollars on my days off or after work haul a quick load of gravel or top soil for 60 bucks after work.

ioilyouin
01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
GR- Just curious do you put this much thought into getting dressed in the morning?

wanabe
01-20-2010, 12:02 PM
One thing about I have a job your probably un-employeed wanabe.

Any money I make with the truck is tax free cash jobs the way the homeowners want it. Work 4 hours on my day off make a couple hundred dollars.

If I make hundred or couple hundred dollars on my days off or after work haul a quick load of gravel or top soil for 60 bucks after work.

Gr, I just bought a T300 Bobcat and guess what....Paid all cash for the machine! Everything I own is paid for and have 0 payments. If you make so much money then just go buy a new truck and pay cash for it. Not wine on here about payments and credit card debt. Oh yeah, Im self employed in my business now.

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Anytime I buy anything I look at the pros and cons even when it comes to buying supplies for the gov't.

Hope fully the economy will improve and I can make 10 grand this spring to summer.

I may gross 42,000 a year with the gov't the bank still wants to see 80-90,000 if you want to buy any property.

If I work the gov't job and I work on my own I have a job that pays all my medical etc I get paid holidays. The paychecks are gauranteed it is why the banks can give me a loan with no questions asked I'am limited to 32,000 dollars thou.

When I went to ask for another loan for my truck not a problem. I never could do that before when I was self-employeed. I can get a loan easier than my brother or my parents.

The cost of living in this province is only going to get higher when the provincial gov't announces they spent a billion dollars on the Olympics.

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM

XLT and Lariat are two different trim packages, cant have both...i know you were joking.

and second of all, just because there is no difference in brake size does not mean you are not getting more stopping power. i know the hydro boost brakes used on the later trucks have excellent stopping power.

ive had to tow a skid steer on a 18' flat bed trailer without the brake hookup b/c the trailer had a fault and would cause the brakes to lock. So i towed it using just the truck brakes and i was really surprised at how well it did with a say, 12,000lb load behind it.

Lazer_Z
01-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Anytime I buy anything I look at the pros and cons even when it comes to buying supplies for the gov't.

Hope fully the economy will improve and I can make 10 grand this spring to summer.

I may gross 42,000 a year with the gov't the bank still wants to see 80-90,000 if you want to buy any property.

If I work the gov't job and I work on my own I have a job that pays all my medical etc I get paid holidays. The paychecks are gauranteed it is why the banks can give me a loan with no questions asked I'am limited to 32,000 dollars thou.

When I went to ask for another loan for my truck not a problem. I never could do that before when I was self-employeed. I can get a loan easier than my brother or my parents.

The cost of living in this province is only going to get higher when the provincial gov't announces they spent a billion dollars on the Olympics.Cost of living??? WTF are you talking about cost of living for? YOU DON'T OWN A DAMN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :rolleyes: :hammerhead: :dizzy: Shut up about the damn trucks and buy one already, WE, yes WE in the LS community don't care!

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 07:14 PM
The 03 to 09s use the same hydroboost etc.

I originally thought that Ford put larger brakes on the 450-550 trucks starting in 05 but they didn't.

These trucks can carry more than they can stop.

The F-250-350 was the big change in 05 with the brakes got rid of the 16 inch wheels so they could put bigger rotors on. The 16 inch wheels limit the size of the brakes so its why Ford went with the 17 inch and larger wheels.

Vast improvement for sure.

I got one sucker when I said 2010 truck.

If this F-550 is good I will buy it and run it till it dies. I'am the only driver of my trucks and I do all the maintenance myself. Do 95% of the repairs myself.

It will definatly need some engine up grades once you get a 6.0 grin going to a lower powered 7.3 is going to need some more power.

When I get some time I will put a 4 inch exhaust on it change the air cleaner maybe put a tuner on it.

The first thing thou if I get the truck a engine oil change with 5w-40 and a transmission oil change with synthetic.

curtisfarmer
01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
$42K C$ is not alot of $ in New England.....about $35K in US$ I think value wise (not US$-C$ conversion). I posted the link where I buy trucks....and you are crazy to pay the prices you have listed in the past. I am sure there is an import duty or whatever, but certainly there has to be options, THERE HAS 2 BE!

Hopefuuly you can make more doing what you WANT 2 do, as opposed to what you are doing. I could make the same pay as you, but I would rather work for myself and work way less hours (obviously when you work for yourself you are always working) and spend time with my young son, wife, and 1 on the way. If I was only going to make $10K with my business such as yours (haven't followed too closely to see what exactly you do) I wouldn't even bother buying a F550. The costs alone will eat that up. I am not saying I make $10K with my truck alone, jus that it is just 1 of the requist tools needed in the dirt trade.

If you get the skid I say yes, no skid, I say no.:canadaflag:

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Cost of living??? WTF are you talking about cost of living for? YOU DON'T OWN A DAMN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :rolleyes: :hammerhead: :dizzy: Shut up about the damn trucks and buy one already, WE, yes WE in the LS community don't care!

Hey lawnmower pusher is shooting his mouth off again :laugh:

When you live in a area where you need to make atleast 80-90 grand a year to buy a house my 42 grand a year doesn't cut the mustard.

Can't say much about one house going up but its got a budget of over 30 million dollars. Summer house maybe use it for 4 weeks out of the year. Nothing but the best with this house with money not a issue just gotta be done right. I think one bathroom was 100,000 dollars nothing but the best. The wood work inside the house is 1 million dollars or more but its all premium stuff again nothing but the best.

H*ll I worked for some home owners that consider a million dollars as pocket change. Do the job the way they want it and you get paid money doesn't matter just have to do a good job.

There is still people out there with lots of money they were not spending much because their investments have taken a beating. Hopefully this year things will improve.

Everybody knows the USA is doomed for another year but the Canadian economy is supposed to improve.

One thing about it my job pays for all my medical fees if I got to go to the dentist not a problem. Guaranteed paychecks each month no stressing out about money.

If I go back to part time general contracting make a extra grand a month I can put away some money for a down payment on some property. My general contracting isn't trying to support myself completely so I can take the smaller jobs. Make a extra hundred dollars after work. My day job is 169 dollars a day only work 7.5 hours. Start work way before the break of dawn so I have lots of daylight left in the afternoon to work on my own stuff.

Being self-employeed in this economy is next to impossible if you are in construction your lucky to have a job. I will beable to survive in the landscape business but many others can not there isn't enough work for them. The skid steer business isn't a profitable business it never was around here. They are too limited on what they can do and where they can go. I may even look at a small mini for doing brush clearing or demo clean up. Where I cut brush a machine can't go but I can get the material dragged by hand to where a machine can go and it can pack it to the truck.

Lazer_Z
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Rat, DON'T you ever call me a mower pusher. I ride in style lol.

Anyway, did I read your reply?, no I didn't as I'm tired enough of being bored to death with winter I don't need a whiny little b*tch to bore me even more. I'm more than happy to be self employed, ALL of my equipment is paid for, I've got money sitting in the bank earning me interest and not burning a hole in my pocket. Unlike you I don't need to spend 30K to make a buck, you have no earthly idea what you are doing. Say you do buy the truck and a skid (doubtful on both IMO) you STILL need a trailer (won't happen) and you need to know your cost of doing business (too stupid to understand the basics) to make any money. Your going to spend all that money for what? NOTHING, you won't accomplish anything, you'll just come on here pissing a moaning that work is slow, it's the governments fault, blah, blah, blah.

If I'd ever meet you (doubt I'd actually want to, you're depressing enough on the net) I'd love to give you a good swift kick in the ass and maybe that would get you a head start, that's questionable though as you can't even seem to motivate yourself.

Ozz
01-20-2010, 09:09 PM
According to Dennis Leary, specs don't matter, the fact that the F-series has sold the best for 33 years matters.:laugh:

BTW, I have more repsect for Lazer Z than GR....

jefftb
01-20-2010, 09:14 PM
According to Dennis Leary, specs don't matter, the fact that the F-series has sold the best for 33 years matters.:laugh:

Fletch is more accurate, "its all ball bearings these days.":rolleyes:

stuvecorp
01-20-2010, 09:16 PM
I found out today that the 550's only come with 4.88 gearing, I was hoping for something like 4.10 or even 3.73 for good mileage. How would a 550 do towing 12-15,000 pounds with 3.73's? I thought the turning radius was awesome compared to the 350 I had. The 550 was also very quiet. Isn't the 550 able to run a PTO pump for the box?

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 09:27 PM
You can go with 4:30 gears in a F-550 you just have to do it yourself it depends on what year the F-550 is.

The Dana S110 is used in the F-450 and F-550 the F-450 has 4:30 axle gearing as a option.

Real easy to do a gear swap pull the axle shafts pull the driveshaft and remove the ring of bolts on the third member remove it and install the one with the 4:30 gears.

Now if you have the Dana 135 you are SOL they only came with 4:88 gears but the 135 was used from 99 to 2002. Massive axle for a 2 ton truck the axle holds 3 gallons of oil.

stuvecorp
01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
It was an 07. How useful is the extended warranty? It would go 200,000 miles or seven years for about $1500 extra?

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 11:16 PM
So I assume it is a 6.0 well they are hit or miss the only way you are going to tell if the truck is a good one or run like h*ll is one look at the OASIS report. If the truck looks like it has a good record then its probably good to go if it has a rap sheet a mile long with repetive problems the truck isn't worth buying.

stuvecorp
01-21-2010, 12:21 AM
I'll have to get that report, overall the truck seemed real clean. It is an XLT so it has all the nice stuff. I don't think it is a smokin deal, 07(4x4) 97,000 miles for $25,000. It is the right wheelbase and I haven't seen any others that didn't have way more miles and were in better shape.

Gravel Rat
01-21-2010, 12:32 AM
That truck is priced a little high. Get the VIN number and head off to the Ford dealer and get a OASIS report on it. The dealer my charge you a fee but its info you need to know. Without it and buy the truck you maybe buying a truck that will drain your wallet.

stuvecorp
01-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not giddy on the price. I've been looking since last fall but am just not finding anything decent.

Gravel Rat
01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Well the internet is good for one thing besides looking at **** :laugh:

Found some info out on the truck I'am looking at it is from Alberta explains why is its rust free. The dealer that has the 550 imports lots of vehicals from Alberta. They are usually trucks that don't sell in Alberta they get them cheap bring them to B.C. and try to flog them.

I'am very un sure about the dealer always had a funny feeling when I contacted them the first time.

A truck that is from the oil patch may have low kilometers/mileage but it has thousands of hours of idle time. I was told these trucks could have 3000 or more hours with the engine screaming at 1500-1700 rpms. The truck does have a rpm control box so its been held at revs. You convert the idle time to mileage you may have a truck that reads 127,000 kilometers on the odometer but the engine has 200,000kms worth of wear on it.

It has been a mechanics service truck or a service truck of some kind the rear suspension has been increased. From the pictures I got and to what I compared to on the 550 I used to drive. The stock 550 has strong enough rear springs if you need to beef them up then you are carrying some serious weight.

So with a questionable truck with a deal that is too good to be true and a dealer that is well :confused:

I will look at the truck but I probably won't be taking it home.

I have found a 2006 F-450 2wd really clean with 60,000 kms on it yes a 2wd but the truck is going to get a winch eventually. Truck still has warranty for a year. I have better feeling about the dealer and I feel a little better about the deal.

People may boo hoo the 6.0 but the problems are fixable the 2006 model year most of the problems were cured. I have had good luck with my 03 6.0. once you have driven a 6.0 it is very hard to go back to a old 7.3.

Ya you guys may think I'am nuts but after many years of attending Ritchie Bros auctions and being around trucks you go through things one by one. Really easy to be stuck with a POS that you impulse bought and get it home and the thing turns into a money pit.

stuvecorp
01-21-2010, 06:02 PM
They are getting me the Oasis report for the truck and will check it out tomorrow.

Is the extended warranty worth it? How hard is it to do a PTO on these trucks? I'm not wanting to do an electric hoist again.

Gravel Rat
01-21-2010, 06:14 PM
I'am not sure with a automatic 4x4 I don't know where the PTO opening is on a torqshift.

If its on the driver side then you will have troubles with running a PTO shaft to operate a pump.

My current F-450 has a PTO on it and I just couldn't make it all fit under these trucks.

I went to electric pump ya it is slower than h*ll but it was the easiest option. Second option is a clutch pump under the hood it is what the tow trucks use you will be into some money but it is the easiest option.

Technically you would have live hydraulics if that is what your after because it can be run while driving.

I'd rather have pto hydraulics but there just isn't the room maybe the autos are different but a 6spd there isn't much space to play with.

You figure a PTO is 800 dollars a hydraulic pump is another 700 then you need a hyraulic tank so another 250.

Go to anybody that outfits tow trucks and see what a clutch pump install will cost. They are like a AC pump that pumps hydraulic oil.

Blue Goose
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
A truck that is from the oil patch may have low kilometers/mileage but it has thousands of hours of idle time. I was told these trucks could have 3000 or more hours with the engine screaming at 1500-1700 rpms. The truck does have a rpm control box so its been held at revs. You convert the idle time to mileage you may have a truck that reads 127,000 kilometers on the odometer but the engine has 200,000kms worth of wear on it.

Have you looked at the hour meter to see how many hours are on it?

Gravel Rat
01-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Sad to say the 03s you unable to check the hour meter I tried on mine which is a 03 they only offered a hour meter on the 05 and newer.

Blue Goose
01-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes sir, '05 and newer......I got confused as to what year of truck you were looking at..... Oops...:o

Gravel Rat
01-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Even my current truck I don't know how many hours are on it the truck used to have a crane on it so it had a hydraulic pump etc. The RPM controll box is set at 1750.

NEUSWEDE
01-21-2010, 11:59 PM
good truck for you http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/244294?h=2%2CModUserView

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 12:59 AM
The truck I will end up with is a F-450 like Rons I found a 2006 model looks clean from the pictures. I'am not going to find a 4 wheel drive unless I order new. Then I don't even know if 4 wheeldrive will even help with a truck as heavy as the 450/550 trucks are.

The automatic (torqshift) will help the biggest problem I have with my current 450. When you power out and can't move your stuck. As I said it has had me very worried many time. Lots of jobs I had to turn away because it just wasn't possible the truck would power out.

The only time I have ever powered out with a manual transmission is my old 1988 F-Superduty (F-450) with 4 tons of gravel on its back.

It really pizzed me off when I was hauling the firewood out of the neighbours that the truck would power out. It shouldn't power out with 1 1/4 cord of firewood. The truck powered out hauling demo debris from the other neighbours place with 3000lb loads.

This will be the first automatic truck I have ever owned its going to take me a long time to quit reaching for the stick and pressing on a clutch pedal thats not there.

stuvecorp
01-22-2010, 01:29 AM
GR, I'm still voting for you to get a skid/mini/dingo and keep your truck.:canadaflag:

Junior M
01-22-2010, 01:32 AM
GR, I'm still voting for you to get a skid/mini/dingo and keep your truck.:canadaflag:
I agree, hell I could careless about the truck. Your current truck works!

Get a dingo/walkbehind/stand on trackloader and go where others cant!

stihlboy
01-22-2010, 01:40 AM
dingo's are nice Thumbs Up

Shadetree Ltd
01-22-2010, 03:08 AM
I wish I had a dollar for all the times you blurted out that older 450/550 brakes were so much smaller and crappier than the newers ones, you still think once you have driven a 6.0 it is very hard to go back to a old 7.3 I have come to the conclusion I have NO IDEA how you decide to get out of bed in the morning, someone must lay out your clothes our you have a uniform because your indecisions and misconceptions would not let a normal person decide what to wear everyday...I am done.

Caterkillar
01-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Most of us on this forum have to think clearly and make smart choices everyday OR we go under. So naturally none of us can figure out wtf GR is even thinking. GR your thinking DEFIES logic!!

So you are going to go into at least 10k of debt to make 10k cash that you could already make with your current truck without an 800 a month payment? Have you lost your goddamn mind? I cannot even follow your thought process. And to be honest, I am kind of glad I can't!

Lazer_Z
01-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Most of us on this forum have to think clearly and make smart choices everyday OR we go under. So naturally none of us can figure out wtf GR is even thinking. GR your thinking DEFIES logic!!

So you are going to go into at least 10k of debt to make 10k cash that you could already make with your current truck without an 800 a month payment? Have you lost your goddamn mind? I cannot even follow your thought process. And to be honest, I am kind of glad I can't! You're still new here (no offense meant) so everything that he's saying has been said over and over and over again. Do a search and I'm sure you'll read that nothing new has come from him, all of his posts are the same old doom and gloom. Everything is the governments fault, he hates his job, he hates his "side" job because he hates his truck. It's the same repetitive mindless drivel day in day out.

Caterkillar
01-22-2010, 11:29 PM
You're still new here (no offense meant) so everything that he's saying has been said over and over and over again. Do a search and I'm sure you'll read that nothing new has come from him, all of his posts are the same old doom and gloom. Everything is the governments fault, he hates his job, he hates his "side" job because he hates his truck. It's the same repetitive mindless drivel day in day out.

I don't understand why anyone responds to his posts. I have seen some members offer him truly invaluable advice that he does not even acknowledge.

This guy lives in his mom's basement yet still has the audacity to comment on a business forum!