PDA

View Full Version : upgrading

tnmtn
01-19-2010, 07:44 PM
i picked up a pintle hitch trailer but wanted to be able to switch between the pintle and still have a receiver hitches. a few months back i had a welder cut off and replace the rear bumper with a 3" receiver. we had an engineer run numbers on it and it will be good for way more than the truck can tow. thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing it. in 1 of the pics i set a 2 1/2" ball itch on top to get a size reference.

93turbo
01-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Looks good so whats the plan to still be able to use the regular ball receiver? Do you have an adapter to run your ball hitch? I'd probably just weld a reciever on top of the 3" tube for when you need a ball hitch

tnmtn
01-19-2010, 07:57 PM
i have a sleeve that goes inside the receiver to bring it down to 2 1/2"

DUSTYCEDAR
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Looks great now pull down some trees

Krafty
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Man that thing is a beast!! What truck is it on??

tnmtn
01-19-2010, 08:35 PM
chevy 4500

tnmtn
01-19-2010, 08:38 PM
here is a pic of the new to me trailer. pretty happy with it so far.

tnmtn
01-19-2010, 09:13 PM
wednesday truck and trailer will be headed to columbia s.c. to pick this up. i have been in the process of buying this machine for a few months. shopping much longer.

93turbo
01-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Nice trailer and looks like your gonna get an interesting hoe too. Do you have an oversize receiver already or custom made as I thought most receivers were 2" or is that what came with the truck?

stuvecorp
01-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Nice! You will have to get lots of pictures and it will be interesting to here how it is to run.

Junior M
01-19-2010, 09:58 PM
where at in columbia?

tnmtn
01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
as far as the receiver i had been running oversized (2 1/2") receivers for a while. just needed to go a little bigger for the extra weight of the hoe.

i was able to run the machine a few months ago and it will be an adventure. cosmeticly i will pretty it up when i get it back to the shop. mechanically it is tight. my biggest issue so far will be adjusting to excavator controls. i've run nothing but backhoe controls and it's not a pretty sight when i have had to switch.

i'll be staying in columbia, on two notch road, holiday inn. be coming home friday with it.

Junior M
01-19-2010, 10:17 PM
as far as the receiver i had been running oversized (2 1/2") receivers for a while. just needed to go a little bigger for the extra weight of the hoe.

i was able to run the machine a few months ago and it will be an adventure. cosmeticly i will pretty it up when i get it back to the shop. mechanically it is tight. my biggest issue so far will be adjusting to excavator controls. i've run nothing but backhoe controls and it's not a pretty sight when i have had to switch.

i'll be staying in columbia, on two notch road, holiday inn. be coming home friday with it.
We gotta get together.. Where at on Two notch? I work off of two notch on Alpine near I20 and I77

Who are you getting the machine from? I've never seen anything like that around here..

Gravel Rat
01-19-2010, 10:41 PM
When you look at what those recieiver hitches you bolt to a pickup truck is rated to carry what you have on the back of the 4500 is far stronger than that.

mxridernorth
01-19-2010, 10:47 PM
i set a 2 1/2" ball itch on top to get a size reference.

Was that a Freudian slip?

Hey tnmtn this is most hilarious. I'm going to pick this up either late this week or early next week. I too have been in the process for the last few months getting my ducks in a row.

Good luck to you!

tnmtn
01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
thats a nice unit. i read somewhere recently about the komatsu/kaisers. i like the winch on it. good catch on forgetting the "h" in your honor i won't correct it.

stuvecorp
01-19-2010, 11:31 PM
It's funny, there was a Menzi Muck on CraigsList up here.

mxridernorth
01-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks. The price was right. Well hopefully it was right and I don't go broke with this whole venture. It comes with a powertilt and the winch which together are about $20K option if you had to buy those separately.

hvy 1ton
01-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Looks like your picking up a 2WD menzi then? I've seen quiet a few pics of them working and it seem the limit of what they can do is imagination.

jefftb
01-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Hey, TNMTN, was the deckover used?

Also, I got a call on Tuesday about putting in a small drainfield system on a 50% slope....maybe I should call them back? Want to loan me the Menzi?:laugh:

You could have made quite a bit of money in the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/GBurg area 6 years ago excavating the footings for all of those zero lot line cabins in the market.

What's the market for you up there with it?

tnmtn
01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Jeff,
call em back, it wouldn't bother me a bit to do a little road trip down that way. as far as market things are still slow up here. i will be going after work wherever it is. so far i have gotten a lot of interest and this morning picked up a demo job for it. we have a few hills in this area and people are still putting in houses on the steep slopes. also, looking to push the environmental side of things more this year. have picked up some good certs that should help with that. it seems things are about minimal impact and efficiency these days.

jefftb
01-20-2010, 11:03 AM
What certifications did you pick up? PM if you want.

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
how come you dont use a combo pintle? cant find a ball rated high enough? biggest 2 5/16" ive seen was 30K

tnmtn
01-20-2010, 06:03 PM
the reason i went with 3" for the receiver was when the engineer ran the numbers we found the pin wouldn't take the heavier weight. so we decided in order to safey use a larger pin we would need more sidewall to drill it out of. in hindsight i am liking the pintle hitch. with the brakes adjusted right i can't feel any slop and it seems easier to hook up to.

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I never hurts to overkill a trailer hitch for the piece of mind and the safety factor.

You see these guys with reciever hitches with enough weight on them the crosstube is bending :dizzy:

tnmtn
01-21-2010, 09:01 PM
i am way down here in the land of Jr. to pick up the spider hoe. today went through a little orientation on the machiine and i can say there will be a learning curve for it.

also, got to meet and shake hands with Jr. i was in the holtel bar with the sales rep for Menzi and he stopped by to say hello. top shelf young man. one day someone will be lucky to have an employee like him.

tommorrow the ride and home. i forgot my camera so sorry no pics but will get some when i get home.

mxridernorth
01-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Lucky you. Keep us posted on the learning curve. I'm also curious to hear how your truck pulls it. Does your truck/trailer have air brakes?

Mine should be picked up and shipped to the dealer's next week for a lookover. So I probably won't have it in my eager little hands until the weekend.

howierd3866
01-21-2010, 10:25 PM
tnmtn...mind telling us more about the machine and how much you paid and the hours.I'd been looking somewhat at them over the year saw some in NC but wait too much $$$$$$$$$$..thanks

Junior M
01-22-2010, 12:49 AM
i am way down here in the land of Jr. to pick up the spider hoe. today went through a little orientation on the machiine and i can say there will be a learning curve for it.

also, got to meet and shake hands with Jr. i was in the holtel bar with the sales rep for Menzi and he stopped by to say hello. top shelf young man. one day someone will be lucky to have an employee like him.

tommorrow the ride and home. i forgot my camera so sorry no pics but will get some when i get home.
Employee hell, I am running the show.. :laugh: :rolleyes:

But it was nice to meet you. Thanks for the great conversation, I hate I had to leave early though..

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 01:17 AM
So tnmtn got to mean the lawnsite celebrity aka Junior :laugh:

Nobody around here has one of those walking excavators yet. It probably would be a niche market but boy it would be a real learning curve how to use the machine to its maximum productivity.

stuvecorp
01-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Lucky you. Keep us posted on the learning curve. I'm also curious to hear how your truck pulls it. Does your truck/trailer have air brakes?

Mine should be picked up and shipped to the dealer's next week for a lookover. So I probably won't have it in my eager little hands until the weekend.

I'm looking forward to hearing from both of you and how the machines are.

I'm thinking of doing a bolt on pintle hitch instead of using the tube to pull a trailer(but would have a tube underneath).

hvy 1ton
01-22-2010, 02:52 AM
I'm thinking of doing a bolt on pintle hitch instead of using the tube to pull a trailer(but would have a tube underneath).

Bohman Excavating's C5500 is setup like that. Rotating pintle hitch bolted on with either 2" or a 2-5/16" in the receiver below. Real slick for an inbetweener truck like that; it never pulls the same trailer 2 days in a row.

mxridernorth
01-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Nobody around here has one of those walking excavators yet. It probably would be a niche market but boy it would be a real learning curve how to use the machine to its maximum productivity.

There's a few around BC; A few in the interior, a few in the Squamish corridor and there was one other on the Island. Unfortunately his took a gulp of water in pond and is out of commission for a while. Given the terrain here, you'd think there would be more however there is still some resistance from the old timers who think that everything can be done with a conventional hoe.

I'm looking forward to hearing from both of you and how the machines are.

I'll keep you posted for sure. I've been warned that the first jobs make you wonder what in the hell you've got yourself into, but I'm willing to stick it out.

My truck has a bolt on pintle as well as a tube receiver. The combo works well for big and small trailers alike.

Junior M
01-22-2010, 05:51 AM
There's a few around BC; A few in the interior, a few in the Squamish corridor and there was one other on the Island. Unfortunately his took a gulp of water in pond and is out of commission for a while. Given the terrain here, you'd think there would be more however there is still some resistance from the old timers who think that everything can be done with a conventional hoe.

I'll keep you posted for sure. I've been warned that the first jobs make you wonder what in the hell you've got yourself into, but I'm willing to stick it out.

My truck has a bolt on pintle as well as a tube receiver. The combo works well for big and small trailers alike.
the guy that took a gulp of water on his spyder hoe, is a member here..

mxridernorth
01-22-2010, 02:15 PM
the guy that took a gulp of water on his spyder hoe, is a member here..

Yep I know. I feel bad for him.

Scag48
01-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Yep I know. I feel bad for him.

I missed that story. Brian is a good guy, hope he gets everything worked out.

mxridernorth
01-23-2010, 02:01 AM
I missed that story. Brian is a good guy, hope he gets everything worked out.

Yeah he's going through a rough patch at the moment and I hope he can make it through.

stuvecorp
01-23-2010, 02:29 AM
Yeah he's going through a rough patch at the moment and I hope he can make it through.

I'll send any good karma I can too...

tnmtn
01-23-2010, 10:14 AM
well i made it home yesterday evening. got lucky on the way home i had thre tires blow on the left side of the trailer at once. never felt a thing in the truck. limped a half mile up the interstate to the next exit and got lucky and found a truck tire shop behind a truckstop. they didn't have any 16.5" tires but found some back in columbia so i unhooked and went to pick them up. hour later i made it back with the tires and they put them on. no problems from then on. just a 3 hour delay to get ready to go. could have been much worse. i figure the load behind the truck was 9 tons. had no trouble going up the saluda grade on 26. also going over sams gap into tennessee was a breeze. i took the overdrive off and was able to run the speed limit over the top. i was amazed by the exhaust brake coming down the tennessee side. only toouched the brake once and stayed at 55 all the way down. unloading this afternoon and will get some pics.

as far as price for the machine all i'll say is i feel like i got a great deal. a new mini ex similarly equipped would have been double the cost. of course this one is used and it's not like comparing apples to apples.

Brian that has the machine is a great guy and reading through his thread from the beginning of his research is what got me thinking about these machines a couple years ago. from what i understand he is operating equipment for another company and i wish him the best and that he can get back going as soon as possible. sometimes you have to do what it takes and he is doing that. that has further earned my respect.

good luck,

tnmtn
01-23-2010, 03:42 PM
played in it for a bit this afternoon. this machine is amazing. we had some rain and the area i was playing in is a muddy mess. i was able to push right through it. i will definitly be working more days than with the backhoe. in the picture i moved the machine up to about a 4ft. bank on a dirt pile. was very easily able to drive the big tires up top then level out without extending the stabilizers. coming down was equzlly easy. one thing for sure you can't step into this and immediately go on a steep job. too many buttons and switches. i am starting to feel more comfortable but will still practice quite a bit before working it. i have given myself a month before we will be doing a dog and pony show to let prospective customers come by and have some bar b que and see what the machine will do. another thing it is not going to be easy to jum out of the machine and take pics. it's a long way down to the ground sometimes from the cab.
good luck,

Junior M
01-23-2010, 03:55 PM
so what do you have for buckets? Just the one thats on it? Are you goin to order or have some more made?

After running it do you still think it'll take 80hours to get to the point where you look like you know what your doing?

tnmtn
01-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Jr. i'll stick with what i said the other night. 80 hours and i feel like i will be able to fake it pretty good. people that have run these machines and been around them would figure out i'm still new but guys that have never seen one won't know the diffrence having nothing to compare to. or at least thats the plan. lol

tnmtn
01-23-2010, 04:07 PM
http://www.rocklandmfg.com/excavator/krypto_klaw.htm

for buckets i will be ordering a 24" krypto klaw from rockland. i will also be getting a set of digging buckets from 18"- 30" to go with it. digging is definitly diffrent with the power tilt. it changes pivolt point on the bucket and sure gets it closer to the boom when curled.

Junior M
01-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Jr. i'll stick with what i said the other night. 80 hours and i feel like i will be able to fake it pretty good. people that have run these machines and been around them would figure out i'm still new but guys that have never seen one won't know the diffrence having nothing to compare to. or at least thats the plan. lol
:laugh:

Just dont press the wrong button!

I still cant get over all the buttons and stuff yall were talkin about.. :dizzy:

howierd3866
01-23-2010, 07:49 PM
think about some type of a mower head ..good luck and keep the pics coming..

mxridernorth
01-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Awesome! Sorry to hear about the mishap on the way home, though it's good that the truck pulled it without effort. Keep on taking photos and providing updates - I love to see spider pics and vids. I'm sure I've seen everyone on the net.

How much are those Krypto claw buckets anyway? Brian has the Helac bucket that I was contemplating. I've planned to get the grapple bucket but would like to get another general purpose bucket that has grip capabilities.

tnmtn
01-23-2010, 10:30 PM
the price i got delivered to my shop was right around $5,500. i'm checking for a used one but they are hard to find and i don't have time to wait. i think the helac comes in around $8,500.

Junior M
01-24-2010, 02:27 AM
http://www.rocklandmfg.com/excavator/krypto_klaw.htm

for buckets i will be ordering a 24" krypto klaw from rockland. i will also be getting a set of digging buckets from 18"- 30" to go with it. digging is definitly diffrent with the power tilt. it changes pivolt point on the bucket and sure gets it closer to the boom when curled.
Thats freakin awesome! Never seen anything like that before.

mxridernorth
01-24-2010, 04:37 AM
That price is pretty good. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

mxridernorth
01-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Hey tnmtn. I was giving some thought to the Krypto bucket and I had just wondered if you thought that the thumb would cause issues with stick interference when you are just doing regular digging work? Is your plan just to switch out when you need the claw, or are going to try and run it during regular work?

tnmtn
01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
i will probably run during regular digging unless it proves to be a problem. then i will cross that bridge. i have spoken with another guy that is running one on his menzi and he spoke very highly of it. didn't mention any problem with it.
good luck,

tnmtn
01-29-2010, 09:03 AM
i have the macine on a job this week and am getting more used to it. the digging power for the weight of the machine is impressive. i am loving have a cab with heat. the radio isn't too bad either. one negative about these machines is when moving it with the drive tires is it doesn't have shocks or an active suspension system. you have to constantly adjust the drive end stabilizers on the drive end. or swing the boom from side to side to weight one side or the other. it's not much of a problem just a diffrence between these and conventional excavators. on this job i needed to dig a 48" trench then backfill gravel. the powertilt has made it easy. there is no room to backfill from the side so i have been tilting the bucket to one side which sets up the bigger bucket parallel to the ditch allowing you to side dump out of the bucket. very nice.

mxridernorth
01-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Good to hear that you're already working it! No pics?!!

I picked mine up on wednesday evening and had it moved to the dealers shop where he is going to go over it. Loading it on the drop deck was interesting - just a few more controls than I'm used to but in the end it was all good.

I'm hunting for a suitable trailer to move it at the moment but I'll probably end up with a 12 ton trailer of some variety. I'm torn between a beaver tail and a tilt deck, however I like the shorter wheel base of the tilt as it would be more maneuverable in the city. I've still got to get my class 1 license before I can legally tow it loaded however. Currently I've only got my air ticket which limits my towing weight to 4600 kg on the trailer axles.

Gravel Rat
01-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Seeing as you can haul that machine on a step deck I would find somebody that can move you around for now.

Not sure how well a tilt deck would haul a walking excavator. Usually with a tiltdeck you want to drive straight on. Anything with rubber tires doesn't do well on a tiltdeck.

mxridernorth
01-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Seeing as you can haul that machine on a step deck I would find somebody that can move you around for now.

Not sure how well a tilt deck would haul a walking excavator. Usually with a tiltdeck you want to drive straight on. Anything with rubber tires doesn't do well on a tiltdeck.

My plan was to lift myself on - same as I did on the step deck.

Gravel Rat
01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
I would have a custom made trailer built. I would buy a used step deck from somewhere and cut the neck off and make a trailer reach on the front for a pintle hitch.

A standard tilt deck is tough to load a machine on if it doesn't have tracks.

Seeing as you don't need a beaver tail on the back all you need is a square tail on the trailer.

mxridernorth
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
The point of the tilt is to get the shorter wheel base. Otherwise I'll just get a beavertail and live with the longer wheelbase. A custom is out of the question at the moment as that would quickly surpass my budget.

Gravel Rat
01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I would try a tilt trailer first I'am pretty sure your not going to like the way it rides.

If you are going to pull this with your single axle you will want a slightly longer trailer get one too short the poor truck is going to feel it. Single axle trucks really don't pull tag trailers nicely. They really whip the truck around because all the weight is behind the rear axle.

What does the excavator you have weigh ?

mxridernorth
01-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I am a bit worried about the whip. I've experienced it before and it's not pretty.

Machine weighs around 19000 pounds.

Gravel Rat
01-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I would try borrow a trailer first and see how it goes. Your machine is a little too big for a rolloff truck. A tandem axle rolloff with a low side box you can drive the machine in chain it down pull the box on. It would be good for a tight neighbourhood you could drop the box in the street unload pull the box back on and start hauling material etc.

mxridernorth
01-29-2010, 03:47 PM
In a perfect world, one where I possess lots of money, I'd consider the roll-off. However I'm stuck in a place called reality and I'm trying to get myself going without going broke. So single axle + trailer it is for now.

Dominic from Spidex, who has a great setup btw, has a tandem (he also has a trailer) that he loads his machine into on occasion. The main issue when you're trying to load into one vehicle is the lack of room for attachments.

Gravel Rat
01-29-2010, 04:05 PM
I would really considering borrowing a trailer to find out. Do you have a used trailer in mind a new 24,000lb capacity tag is going to run you minimum 25,000 dollars that is for a cheapy. Trailking is common on the west coast but there are others I can't remember the names.

mxridernorth
01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I would really considering borrowing a trailer to find out. Do you have a used trailer in mind a new 24,000lb capacity tag is going to run you minimum 25,000 dollars that is for a cheapy. Trailking is common on the west coast but there are others I can't remember the names.
Yikes! Good thing I found a '94 Eager Beaver with air brakes in great shape for $4K USD.

Gravel Rat
01-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Your lucky to find a trailer for that price a used tilt is hard to find make sure you get it if the trailer is any good.

tnmtn
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
a couple pics of the backfilling with the powertilt.

jefftb
02-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I must admit, the ability of the powertilt to curl the bucket like that and pour backfill is one I had not ever even thought about. That's a very compelling reason for me to investigate locating one of those things.....

Good to see you are putting that thing to use in its proper environment.

Brian Hay
07-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Brian has the Helac bucket that I was contemplating. I've planned to get the grapple bucket but would like to get another general purpose bucket that has grip capabilities.

How has my bucket been treating you?

Brian Hay
07-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I just read through the whole thread. Been a while since I stopped in here. I almost forgot what a great bunch hangs out here. I really should stop in here more often, thanks for all the well wishes guys.

Sad to report my machine is long gone. I did to much free work helping people (no regrets on that). Got ripped off on several dealings with shady characters....first of which was were I bought my machine, same place mxrider gets his serviced. I paid a whole lot more for mine and had to have it shipped from Switzerland when the one he bought was sitting right there for half the price and about 4500 less hours on it. Then I made that awful mistake that drowned it and finished me off.

The whole thing was a great experience though and I have no real regrets. I lived my dream for a couple years, did a lot of good things for people and learned a lot too.

And in the end it set me off in a new direction that I am really enjoying. I have always been really good with computers and creating my website for the spyder turned into a hobby, then an obsession and now a new career. I have become a well respected developer and partnered with a major software provider. I develop great websites for people now instead of great yards :) If any of you guys need one I would love to create it for you.

I still do the odd excavating job on the side because I love it and always will.

tnmtn
07-10-2011, 06:40 PM
glad to hear things are going good for you Brian. the menzi has been an amazing machine. i have mostly used it on jobs for myself as opposed to subbing for others. it has been very tough to break through to others that there may be a diffrent way to do things. it's looking like i will keep it busy this fall and possibly into next spring. as far as the controls i am feeling much more comfortable on it. still wish i could could switch to jd pattern because that is one more thing to have to keep in mind as i still isn't natural to me.
good luck,

Brian Hay
07-10-2011, 06:55 PM
That is really great to hear tnmtn, glad it is doing well for you!

Once you get past being a new concepts you will be laughing. That was one of the biggest problems I had too. Most had never heard of one, did not really understand it's potential and were not interested in trying something new to find out.

Now though around here some people have had opportunity to see myself or someone else in action with one and people are not only open to using one, there are some who go looking for one for projects and bid big projects with them in mind.

Dirt Digger2
07-10-2011, 10:10 PM
as far as the controls i am feeling much more comfortable on it. still wish i could could switch to jd pattern because that is one more thing to have to keep in mind as i still isn't natural to me.
good luck,

not being familiar with the machine i don't want to sound ignorant but by switching around hydraulic hoses that run the from the controls to the pumps you should be able to make the joysticks into whatever patterns you want.

assuming there is enough room under the hood to re-route hoses and what not....

tnmtn
07-10-2011, 11:06 PM
i guess i'm kind of hard headed, spoken to too many guys that say they can go back and forth between diffrent patterns so it has become a challenge. once in the machine a few minutes i get the hang of it and do better. also, not a lot of room for the swap and would have to add some length to one of them as well. may be a winter project for it though.